Author Topic: Any Female DT Vocal Covers?  (Read 2837 times)

Offline PetFish

Any Female DT Vocal Covers?
« on: April 25, 2011, 09:47:18 PM »
Besides Pipo & Elo I'd love to hear DT being sung by a woman.  I generally prefer the female voice but I can't seem to find any DT covers out there... it's all geeky guys and computer nerds.  I love heavy music being sung by a soft yet powerful female voice.  I just think they go together and would love to hear some female DT.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Any Female DT Vocal Covers?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 10:12:46 PM »
I've been wondering that as well, DT has lots of songs that would sound amazing with female vocals.

Goodnight Kiss is one.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 10:14:52 PM »
I'd prefer JLB's vocals, but if I had to, Goodnight Kiss, Another Day and Wait for Sleep would be good with a females vocals.

Offline Killer123™

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 01:42:30 AM »

Offline inoku

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 01:56:43 AM »
my girlfriend sings some DT songs. i met her for the first time at a DT Tribute Event.
She sang UAGM, TTT, ES, HTF, TSCO, n ITNOG
it was love at first sight. i kept in touch with her. several months latter i asked her out and we've been together for almost a year now.
sadly i dont have any video of her.

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 02:06:03 AM »
IIRC, at Prog Nation 09, while we waited for DT to come on, there was an acoustic version of As I Am that was played over the speakers. It featured female vocals. Weird but cool. Dunno if/where it can be found though.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 02:10:49 AM »
IIRC, at Prog Nation 09, while we waited for DT to come on, there was an acoustic version of As I Am that was played over the speakers. It featured female vocals. Weird but cool. Dunno if/where it can be found though.

That would be Pipo & Elo, because they're that awesome.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)

Offline Frank

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 06:24:14 AM »
I myself enjoy enjoy the female singing voice, in general, more than the male, so I have always been searching very hard and haven't come up with much! But...

Celestial Horizon is a great example of a band with DT covers with a female vocalist. She has a lower range and personally I sometimes feel she lacks emotion, but it's still great to listen to. They have a downloadable "Tribute to Dream Theater" album featuring many parts of Metropolis Part 2 and a selection of other DT songs (with a few other covers).

Also, I know this girl(friend) who loves DT and she's an opera singer. I have encouraged her to record her own takes, and she has to some degree, and although she isn't proud of what she's done, I'll link her anyway (her operatic style is very different, obviously). If she gets enough support she'll probably be more motivated to take it more seriously and put up entire songs!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 09:27:54 PM by Frank »
Ahh, I hit the home button!
- Jordan Rudess

Offline nickel

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 08:20:06 AM »
Moon of Steel (prog metal band with female vocals) did a cover of "You Not Me" on an EP in 1999.  I collect covers, so I got the song from somewhere, even though I don't even like DT's original.  I personally don't like the cover either, but perhaps you might.

Info: https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Moon_of_Steel/Beyond_The_Edges/11129

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 08:44:51 AM »
Isn't that song on the Voices tribute CD?

Yeah, wasn't too fond of it either.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 09:03:16 AM »
there is an awesome female cover of another day somewhere  out there... i heard it once and its  amazing!

Offline nakedman

• I will choose free will.
  • "Bitch I look like Goku" - Soulja Boi
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 02:55:25 PM »
This is the best one I've found. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ogsQ28610
Goin to the lite until we meet again<br />Thats what the Korinians say again and again..<br />Light years and light years..<br />don\'t wanna shed more tears..

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 03:46:33 PM »
This is the best one I've found. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ogsQ28610

wow.. cool arrangement.. i'm very fund with the answer lies within.. love the melody.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 07:36:09 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I like CH's voice but the accent is just way too thick for me to enjoy.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 08:27:42 PM »
Here's a female cover for you: a girl with a ukelele singingh "The Spirit Carries On"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDOIXalmlWw
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 12:29:13 AM »
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 12:23:38 PM »
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2011, 03:18:59 PM »
Very, very nice covers what I've seen here.  This was an incredibly rough draft before we record it properly soon. We only learnt it that night if you could call it learn  :lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEMwSYMtbfU

Here's Tears - Rush from a bit back (2 Years ago  :) ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iseSlaw1vMs&feature=related

Offline alirocker08

• Apparently not a hobbit
  • 'Sup, I'm a very short elf
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2011, 10:05:14 AM »
Very, very nice covers what I've seen here.  This was an incredibly rough draft before we record it properly soon. We only learnt it that night if you could call it learn  :lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEMwSYMtbfU

Here's Tears - Rush from a bit back (2 Years ago  :) ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iseSlaw1vMs&feature=related

Yes, I know, hardly the best vocal cover on the thread...Or guitar! But yeah, wanting to get a proper recording of it done soon...Hopefully.
ITT: We discover that Alice is elvish...
Psshh, your status as a hobbit has just been a cover. Your cover has been blown.