Author Topic: ASIA  (Read 5745 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: ASIA
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2011, 03:49:04 PM »
I also imagine it's nice to have a break every five minutes during live shows.  When I saw Yes on their Masterworks tour, 5 20+minute songs, one thing I admired was their endurance.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2011, 04:25:32 PM »
I also imagine it's nice to have a break every five minutes during live shows.  When I saw Yes on their Masterworks tour, 5 20+minute songs, one thing I admired was their endurance.

I was exhausted working 58 hours that week and saw the Masterworks tour and was so tired I was coconuting with my cousin who was falling asleep too. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2011, 09:47:24 PM »
It's just my impression, but it's the first thing I thought of.  I remember Steve saying something to the effect that he'd never played power chords in a band before Asia, and it's pretty cool.  I thought about Yes and the type of music they play, and a lot of it is so intricate, so demanding, that it must be kinda cool to play in a band like Asia, with all great musicians but not nearly as technically demanding.

Sure makes a lot of sense.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2011, 01:16:49 PM »
Had a backyard BBQ this saturday after golfing with my regular 4some.    We're hanging out on the deck swigging beers and smoking cigars, and I decide to put on something nice and mellow.  So I throw on Asia's s/t debut album....  something a bit commercial that they'd recognize and dig, or so I thought.    WTF it was too prog for those guys  :lol   They kept on asking me what is this weird music I had on? is it classical or jazz or both? and one of them even tried to turn on his Iphone to drown it out with Chinese pop music    :facepalm:    I'm sitting there thinking, well shit... you should be glad I didn't lay on the hard stuff like Tarkus or Larks' Tongue.   
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2011, 01:28:39 PM »
It is funny that line that people find music progressive but to us it only has hints of progression.

BTW, I had a friend at my old job that listened to chinese pop and it sounded like cats killing each other.  I guess it was too progessive for me. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2011, 01:51:18 PM »
(C)hinese pop... it sounded like cats killing each other.

I've heard some of that stuff, too.  There's a Chinese restaurant around here that caters to 2nd- and 3rd-generation Chinese, and they play some the of most Godawful music I've ever heard.

Full disclosure: I'm 3G myself, but unfortunately I know the difference between authentic Chinese food and Chinese food prepared for American taste buds; and whoever decided that traditional Chinese (quarter-tone) music would sound good with Western-style backbeats, guitars, and synths needs a good ass-whooping.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2011, 07:44:34 PM »
(C)hinese pop... it sounded like cats killing each other.

I've heard some of that stuff, too.  There's a Chinese restaurant around here that caters to 2nd- and 3rd-generation Chinese, and they play some the of most Godawful music I've ever heard.

Full disclosure: I'm 3G myself, but unfortunately I know the difference between authentic Chinese food and Chinese food prepared for American taste buds; and whoever decided that traditional Chinese (quarter-tone) music would sound good with Western-style backbeats, guitars, and synths needs a good ass-whooping.

Why must everything be prepared for American taste buds anyway? Can't it just be accepted as it is?

Back on topic, I put on the Asia Enso Kai disc on yesterday for the first time after watching the Asia In Asia video from 1983 with Greg Lake and realized that it was much more exciting to watch (I guess since it WAS MTV afterall) than it was to listen. 

I always enjoyed listening to this disc but I guess now after having watched it, it's doesn't seem as fun to listen to anymore. It's still fun to hear, but I'd never seen this when it was first broadcast and thought it was pretty cool. (Maybe video DID kill the radio star in this case).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2011, 09:34:27 PM »
I have my original VCR tape of this from MTV plus a pro shot.  What turnover with band members like Yes.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2011, 03:35:39 PM »
Listened to Astra yesterday and I never noticed the huge Alan Parsons Project influence in some of After The War.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2011, 03:36:50 PM »
Listened to Astra yesterday and I never noticed the huge Alan Parsons Project influence in some of After The War.

It's been a while since I listened to it.  It's on my I-pod so I'll give it a spin.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2012, 02:15:02 PM »
Any opinions on the new Asia album XXX? 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2012, 02:19:46 PM »

I listened to it a couple of times about a month ago. It's pretty good, and up to par with the other original-line-up albums they've put out over the last few years. Good songs with some good musicianship, but nothing as excitingly memorable as the first album, as much as they try to be. I think I liked XXX more than the previous two, though, but then again, I only gave those albums a few listens too.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2012, 02:36:32 PM »
Unlike a lot of prog people, I have nothing but love for the first Asia album. It managed to be a solid arena rock album while also maintaining enough technical prowess that, if a prog fan gave the album a chance, would impress a listener. To me the only way you can say that there isn't prog on it is that your definition of prog is all side long epics and nothing under 10 minutes long. I wish the band hadn't made some of the choices they made-the really interesting songs, like Without You, were Wetton/Howe songs, but the label insisted on focusing on the Wetton/Downes writing team for the second album, where a lot of the criticisms of the first album are actually fair to say. The first album is a perfect dose of, for want of a better term, commercial prog, and is better than a lot of people give it credit for just because there's a few pop-rock songs.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2012, 12:40:22 AM »

I thought they were on a pretty damn good streak with Silent Nation, Phoenix, and Omega. I really liked Omega. XXX is just kind of... there. It's not bad, and I think "Tomorrow The World" is a great opener. Rest hasn't really done much for me though.

Did they ever give Americana a release date? That's the next one featuring John Payne as the lead singer, It'd be interesting to see how it stacks up to the current output with Wetton.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2012, 06:19:33 PM »

Haven't gotten around to it yet.....Hopefully soon.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2012, 08:48:13 AM »
I've only listened to their first album and a couple of songs from the second one. Saw them live once and they blew my mind away, specially when they played Fanfare for the Common man by ELP. I sincerely did not think Jeff Downes could pull that one up but boy, he was just fantastic.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2012, 08:54:16 AM »
Unlike a lot of prog people, I have nothing but love for the first Asia album. It managed to be a solid arena rock album while also maintaining enough technical prowess that, if a prog fan gave the album a chance, would impress a listener. To me the only way you can say that there isn't prog on it is that your definition of prog is all side long epics and nothing under 10 minutes long. I wish the band hadn't made some of the choices they made-the really interesting songs, like Without You, were Wetton/Howe songs, but the label insisted on focusing on the Wetton/Downes writing team for the second album, where a lot of the criticisms of the first album are actually fair to say. The first album is a perfect dose of, for want of a better term, commercial prog, and is better than a lot of people give it credit for just because there's a few pop-rock songs.

Could not agree more.  I always chuckle when progheads bash it, because you know, given the players involved, they are just pissed that they didn't go all-out with the crazy prog.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2012, 08:43:19 PM »
I've only listened to their first album and a couple of songs from the second one. Saw them live once and they blew my mind away, specially when they played Fanfare for the Common man by ELP. I sincerely did not think Jeff Downes could pull that one up but boy, he was just fantastic.

If you think Asia does that well -- and they do -- you need to listen to Emerson, Lake and Palmer do it. 

Hell, even the Carl Palmer Band does amazing things with it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2012, 10:19:24 PM »

Could not agree more.  I always chuckle when progheads bash it, because you know, given the players involved, they are just pissed that they didn't go all-out with the crazy prog.

You don't think it could possibly be because the music is pretty boring?  John Wetton's voice is interesting for about two songs, then they literally all start sounding the same because he sings them all the same way.  And he sings all the songs.  The songs themselves are well-arranged and well-produced, but just don't have much going on.  It's not because they're not prog.  It's that there's really not much that's remarkable about it.  Verse, verse, break, verse.  Asia overall is pretty boring stuff.  I don't hate them or anything, there's just a lot better music to listen to if you feel like listening to pop.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2012, 10:47:40 PM »

If you think Asia does that well -- and they do -- you need to listen to Emerson, Lake and Palmer do it. 

Obviously the ELP version is the best. I fell in love with that song thanks to them. As far as the Carl Palmer Band, I saw them live but wasn't really fond of all the keyboard parts being played in guitar.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2012, 04:33:24 PM »

Obviously the ELP version is the best. I fell in love with that song thanks to them. As far as the Carl Palmer Band, I saw them live but wasn't really fond of all the keyboard parts being played in guitar.

I love the keyboard parts on guitar though I'll admit it's a little different interpretation. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2012, 11:34:15 PM »

You don't think it could possibly be because the music is pretty boring?  John Wetton's voice is interesting for about two songs, then they literally all start sounding the same because he sings them all the same way.  And he sings all the songs.  The songs themselves are well-arranged and well-produced, but just don't have much going on.  It's not because they're not prog.  It's that there's really not much that's remarkable about it.  Verse, verse, break, verse.  Asia overall is pretty boring stuff.  I don't hate them or anything, there's just a lot better music to listen to if you feel like listening to pop.

Anything is possible I suppose, but it just seems like anyone over the years who has identified themselves as a huge prog fan who bashes Asia always has to throw in the "why didn't these guys do prog?" line, or something to that effect.  Sure, there is better pop out there, but to me, it is like the cousin of Yes' 90125; they are both early 80s excellent pop rock records.  But that's me. :)

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #57 on: September 26, 2012, 11:54:14 PM »
The over-the-top 80s production of the debut album drags it down for me. The drums sound like they're being played in an empty warehouse. I like a lot of straightforward music, but Asia never really clicked, although they have some okay songs.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2012, 06:59:34 AM »
I do prefer prog, and the first album was definitely a letdown considering the players involved and the songs they ended up making.  But I've always liked good pop and I'll admit it when a song is good or catchy or whatever, and I just don't find Asia to be that interesting.  As I said, it sounds great, the playing is top-notch, but overall the songs just don't do much for me, and John Wetton's voice... well, you either like it or you don't.  I thought his work with King Crimson was amazing; the Wetton-Bruford band was my favorite lineup of King Crimson.  He was even okay in U.K., but you could feel that pop streak screaming to get loose, and it finally did in Asia, and for me it just ruins everything.  It's not that it's not prog; it's just not very good pop.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2012, 09:24:13 PM »
I do prefer prog, and the first album was definitely a letdown considering the players involved and the songs they ended up making.  But I've always liked good pop and I'll admit it when a song is good or catchy or whatever, and I just don't find Asia to be that interesting.  As I said, it sounds great, the playing is top-notch, but overall the songs just don't do much for me, and John Wetton's voice... well, you either like it or you don't.  I thought his work with King Crimson was amazing; the Wetton-Bruford band was my favorite lineup of King Crimson.  He was even okay in U.K., but you could feel that pop streak screaming to get loose, and it finally did in Asia, and for me it just ruins everything.  It's not that it's not prog; it's just not very good pop.

I never really saw Asia or even Yes from that period as pop. There was always an economy of musicianship that was laden with some hooks. I do like Wetton's voice, which I guess may be why I listen to those first three Asia records and the live recrdoings from that era and 1990 a lot more than I probably should. I was just an an impressionable age where that was more than most of the new stuff on the radio at that time. I always thought that the lryics were above average too, which is not to say they are anywhere near genius.