Author Topic: Sick of tornadoes  (Read 7814 times)

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Sick of tornadoes
« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2011, 01:03:02 PM »
please excuse my ignorance, but if these homes are all in what is called tornado alley, why are they not built with a basement or at least a storm cellar?

Is it something with the ground on which they are built? are the prefab homes that require being built on a slab for support?

Just curious
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2011, 01:40:45 PM »
Just looked at the radar. Holy shit. Huge string of storms headed this way.  :tdwn
I'll let you know how it goes.

Any time now... you're making me nervous.
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2011, 01:43:52 PM »
Apparently while I was in NYC Monday night my specific town was mentioned in a Tornado warning. My mother was scared shitless. While eastern PA has had maybe 1 or 2 tornadoes in the last 20 years it's certainly not something we ever think about. In the end there was some severe winds but nothing touched down.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2011, 02:24:52 PM »
Just looked at the radar. Holy shit. Huge string of storms headed this way.  :tdwn
I'll let you know how it goes.

Any time now... you're making me nervous.
I tried to post last night and it never showed up. Guess my internet might have been having issues. It was cake. The tornadic parts of the storm went north and south of us. OKC area got it worse than we did. Last I heard there were four confirmed deaths and three children in critical condition. Nowhere near the tragedy of Joplin.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2011, 09:14:40 PM »
Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the touchdown (I have a video but it didn't pick up very well, perhaps later I can get a stillshot of the debris swirling), but I took a couple pictures before and after and a few others. I took a lot more than this but I don't want to fill the page.
Before touchdown.

After it had passed for a minute or so.

Then after that one had passed we look behind us and see this one forming. This one passed a ways to the east of us.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #75 on: May 25, 2011, 09:30:21 PM »
It's weird. I've lived in Tornado Alley my entire life, and I've never actually seen a tornado.

Not that I particularly want to.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #76 on: May 25, 2011, 09:54:07 PM »
It's weird. I've lived in Tornado Alley my entire life, and I've never actually seen a tornado.

It was the same for me before today.

Though I actually was quite excited to see a tornado. It was quite a spectacle to watch, but of course given the deadly tragedies that have happened with them I don't want to treat it like a pleasurable thing to see.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #77 on: May 25, 2011, 10:09:02 PM »
I do particularly want to see one.  I spent the bulk of last night's storm outside watching.  We only got high winds.  Tornadoes just don't seem to attack Dallas very often.  Fort Worth seems to help us out in that regard.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #78 on: May 25, 2011, 10:11:30 PM »
Glad everyone is okay.  

We dodged a major bullet here earlier.  The tornado came straight at us in St. Louis, and those funnel clouds were right above where me, my family and some friends live (as well as some surrounding counties), but it never turned into a tornado, thank God.  Granted, we were all safely tucked away ;), but we were still lucky as hell.  And then it cleared up and only had a few drizzles the rest of the night.  Weird.  

But I gotta admit that that was the most I have ever been freaked out by weather before (edging out the nightmare storm we had back in the summer of '06).  I think the difference here is that storm back then appeared out of nowhere, was a bitch for 10 minutes, and then was gone, leaving the power out in the area for a week, while this one was predicted for days, so it was nerve-wracking, sitting around and waiting for it to happen.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2011, 08:55:30 PM »
This is my friends post on FB,  The one who every year does the storm chasing.  He's had a change of heart after coming very close to a class 5.  It made him think of his kids and family.  I'm glad he feels like this now.

"What a weird world. Last weekend: in Joplin 1/4 of a mile from an EF-5 killer tornado, this weekend: playing wiffle ball and mini-golf with my kids at a peaceful lake in New Hampshire. Makes it a little hard to believe I was on the plains for two weeks at all."
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2011, 07:18:33 PM »
Wichita has two tornado warnings for the downtown metro area right now. My mother was born and raised in Salina, north of Wichita, so this is an area I've always known was very tornado prone from my own family's experience.

I found a webcam, they're gettin pounded -- https://www.360wichita.com/wichitacam/

Hope anyone here from Kansas is staying safe!
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #81 on: April 27, 2014, 11:17:54 AM »
Looks like another big nasty storm with possible tornadoes everywhere is gonna ravage the Midwest over the next day or so. 

:facepalm:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 09:46:01 PM by KevShmev »

Offline Grizz

« Reply #82 on: April 27, 2014, 11:32:25 AM »
I don't get how people can see the freak tornado outbreaks and still be skeptic/apothetic toward climate change.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #83 on: April 27, 2014, 11:34:16 AM »
Well, I remember seeing a guy on TV a while back who said that the amount of crazy tornado outbreaks in the last few years is nothing compared to what went on back in the 50s or 60s.  Cannot remember for sure.  Not that I disagree with the climate changes, or anything like that...just saying.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #84 on: April 27, 2014, 01:37:36 PM »
I'm glad to see spring here, partly because of severe weather.  One of these days I'd like to go on a storm chasing tour and actually see a tornado.  Even after growing up in Southern Indiana (and spent plenty of time in the laundry room because of tornado warnings) I never saw one.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2014, 04:18:20 PM »
Welp, it's that time of year again. They predicted the potential for a massive outbreak. Fortunately, we just had a few spring storms earlier in the morning.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2014, 11:48:43 PM »
I don't get how people can see the freak tornado outbreaks and still be skeptic/apothetic toward climate change.

Tornado outbreaks are not new. Nor are they worse due to climate change. They are a normal spring occurence here in North America. If you go back to 1884 there were 51 tornadoes in one night. Less than a month later, there were 29 in another. In 1895 an outbreak produced three F-5's and sixteen F-4's. There have been dozens of massive outbreaks in our recorded history. I recall spending the night in the basement in 1974 during the Super Outbreak, where 148 tornadoes occured in one night. The town of Xenia, Ohio was hit with one of the most powerful F-5's ever recorded. The base of the tornado was at times 1.75 miles across.

What HAS changed is that our population has exploded since then, and many people now live in "Tornado Alley". What HASN'T changed is that we still don't have good enough technology to give more than 10- 15 minutes advanced warning of a tornado, nor do we have a way to ensure everyone gets the message. MOST tornadoes occur between 3-7 PM, but most deaths oocur at night, when people are sleeping and don't get the message to take shelter. Another thing that HASN'T changed is that not everyone has access to an adequate shelter. Blaming climate change on these things is overly dramatic and over hyped; and quite honestly, many people blame the meteorologists for not giving more notice now, and crying ''climate change" helps take the heat off of them. Personally, I don't blame them when they don't get it right, but that's the reality.

Not everything is attributable to climate change.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 12:48:58 AM by TempusVox »
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2014, 12:33:39 PM »
please excuse my ignorance, but if these homes are all in what is called tornado alley, why are they not built with a basement or at least a storm cellar?

Is it something with the ground on which they are built? are the prefab homes that require being built on a slab for support?

Just curious

Having driven through Alabama recently, I can say that most rural "houses" are nothing more than pieces of plywood and sheet metal stuck together and propped up by cinder blocks. Usually the only structure worth mentioning is the local church, but even those will collapse at the slightest storm.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2014, 01:00:21 PM »
Well, I remember seeing a guy on TV a while back who said that the amount of crazy tornado outbreaks in the last few years is nothing compared to what went on back in the 50s or 60s.  Cannot remember for sure.  Not that I disagree with the climate changes, or anything like that...just saying.

Tornado outbreaks are not new. Nor are they worse due to climate change. They are a normal spring occurence here in North America. If you go back to 1884 there were 51 tornadoes in one night. Less than a month later, there were 29 in another. In 1895 an outbreak produced three F-5's and sixteen F-4's. There have been dozens of massive outbreaks in our recorded history. I recall spending the night in the basement in 1974 during the Super Outbreak, where 148 tornadoes occured in one night. The town of Xenia, Ohio was hit with one of the most powerful F-5's ever recorded. The base of the tornado was at times 1.75 miles across.

What HAS changed is that our population has exploded since then, and many people now live in "Tornado Alley". What HASN'T changed is that we still don't have good enough technology to give more than 10- 15 minutes advanced warning of a tornado, nor do we have a way to ensure everyone gets the message. MOST tornadoes occur between 3-7 PM, but most deaths oocur at night, when people are sleeping and don't get the message to take shelter. Another thing that HASN'T changed is that not everyone has access to an adequate shelter. Blaming climate change on these things is overly dramatic and over hyped; and quite honestly, many people blame the meteorologists for not giving more notice now, and crying ''climate change" helps take the heat off of them. Personally, I don't blame them when they don't get it right, but that's the reality.

Not everything is attributable to climate change.

I may try when I have time later to find it again....but I read an article and looked at the visual aids that accompanied it that detailed the tornados and hurricaines year by year/ decade by decade and it's fairly evident that there has been no signifiacant increase. Like you mentioned TV, The 'hype' of climate change and the fact that our population is larger and living in these areas makes it seem worse than it actually is.

Although that doesn't change the heartache that comes with losing a loved one or your home from one of these storms. The devastation is just brutal and having been on a few clean up missions after tornados and being down in the aftermath of Katrina only a month after the fact....the helplessness that you can see and feel on and from those affected is something you wish you could 'fix' for everyone you encounter.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2014, 01:30:51 PM »

Just curious

Having driven through Alabama recently, I can say that most rural "houses" are nothing more than pieces of plywood and sheet metal stuck together and propped up by cinder blocks. Usually the only structure worth mentioning is the local church, but even those will collapse at the slightest storm.

Excellent point. Most people can't afford homes that are built to withstand even an F-2 tornado. And in many states in the south, the clay soil types, coupled with the high water tables, make basements difficult to construct and maintain. Something else that happens is that even in areas where there are certain building codes (Earthquake zones, tornado prone areas, etc) a lot of contractors will cut corners to reduce costs. Then the contractor rolls the dice and hopes for the best. Sometimes decades later an event will cause people to realize the home wasn't built to code, and by then the contractor has been long dead, or the company long out of business.

I'll give you an example of how frequently this happens. Some of you may know that before I went to law school, my M.S. degree was in Forensic Entomology. I worked for a brief time as a Regional Entomologist for Terminix. Yes, the pest control company. Among some of my responsibilities were coordinating and performing whole house fumigations, training technicians and inspectors on insect identification and control, and ''solving" issues with problem accounts. Another thing that I did was I had to sign off on all of the government WDIR reports. A WDIR report is actually a ''Wood Destroying Insect Inspection Report". When a home is sold in the U.S., it is required to have this inspection. It ensures there is not at the time of sale an active infestation of wood destroying insects or fungus. Termites for example do more damage each year than fire, floods, tornadoes, and hurricanes combined in the U.S. So a WDIR basically clears the home for the new home owner. During this inspection, should a wood destroying infestation be identified, it will often hold up the sale until the home has been treated. Since 1980 all new homes were required to have the soil around the footers of the foundation pre-treated with termiticide. Now I did this work in the 80's, so the law was relatively new, but A LOT of contractors would be building a new subdivision for example, and would have the first house treated, then show or submit that paperwork for EVERY house in the subdivision, thereby saving themselves a ton of money in the process. It used to happen ALL the time. It probably still does, I'm sure. These types of things happen on a regular basis, so even if there are special building code requirements, a lot of unscrupulous contractors will cut corners to shave costs, and a lot of the things coded aren't put into place.

Although on a separate note from this thread, this is why if you ever have a home built, watch those bastards like a hawk. They will cut corners as often as possible, from using fake stone, lower grade concrete or sand, lessor quality insulation to even using lower quality nails. Not all of them do this, but most do. I mean why does it matter to the home owner what type of nail they use as long as it holds the house together? Right? Bottom line...Caveat Emptor.

Anyway, I got sidetracked. Unless you live in a bomb shelter or a missile silo, if your home is up against even an F3 and especially an F5 tornado...forget it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 02:04:36 PM by TempusVox »

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2014, 01:57:44 PM »
Just before Easter a few years ago we had an F-1 come through our neighborhood. Here we have tornado sirens (basically civil defense air raid sirens) that sound when there is a tornado warning. Ohio got them after the Super Outbreak in 1974. Anyway, we had been having tornado warnings all day. Several twisters were sighted and hit in various parts around SW Ohio, Ky, and Indiana. We literally went to the basement about four times that day. My wife and son were in their beds, and I was glued to the local news reports, as another round of massive storms rumbled through. The sirens went off again, and I walked into our foyer to call upstairs and wake them both. As I walked into the foyer, I could see through our foyer window what looked like smoke from a fire outside. The window is massive, probably 240 sq. ft. Then a ton of what I thought was birch bark from our birch trees outside started slamming against the glass virtually covering it in seconds; and the window began flexing. Then the front door started rattling in its frame. It was like something out of "Twister", or "Poltergiest". Crazy scary. We all ran downstairs, and after the sirens stopped emerged and went outside. The home across the street from ours had its right side torn off. What I had thought was Birch bark was instead insulation from their house. My neighbor to my left had his huge second story dormers collapsed. Luckily, they were not at home. Our front lawn which is about 3 acres total was littered with hundreds of roof shingles that were embedded into the yard like knives. My son called out "Dad, look", and pointed towards our driveway. We have a massive iron gate at the end of our drive, and it was missing. We found it later tossed and mangled beyond the pool in the back, probably four acres from where it was supposed to be. There were several homes in our area that had extensive roof damage. We had insulation from other homes splattered on all four walls of our home. My son found a shingle embedded halfway into one of our wooden fence posts.  And the craziest thing was the people who live to our right about two acres from our home had a tree decorated with hundreds of plastic eggs in their front yard. Not one egg as disturbed or missing from that tree. But the home next to theirs on the other side lost their roof and chimney. Crazy. The NWS surveyed our neighborhood and declared it had been an F-1.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 02:06:21 PM by TempusVox »

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2014, 06:09:36 PM »
Not sure where else to put this:

The Emergency Broadcast System jingle (outlawed by the FCC)

https://youtu.be/6YRHAro1iTE
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #92 on: May 11, 2014, 07:00:12 PM »
Not sure where else to put this:

The Emergency Broadcast System jingle (outlawed by the FCC)

https://youtu.be/6YRHAro1iTE

Quirky and Badass at the same time. 

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2014, 12:16:59 AM »
I live about an hour south of Atlanta and a tornado supposedly went right by my neighborhood. There were at least 50 trees out there that were either snapped or completely up rooted, but I don't think any of the houses were hit. I was fucking cutting grass when all that happened :rollin

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2014, 07:09:03 PM »
One of these days I'd like to go on a storm chasing tour and actually see a tornado.

Same here. I've had this strange fascination since I was a kid. Also, I've always wondered if people would consider going to watch something that could very well hurt people weird or not.

Just the other day, there was a bad storm that went through here with a tornado warning. Of course the first thing I do is look out the window then after seeing calm winds go outside. I got spooked and went back in to lower levels when the rain and 60+mph gusts of winds started, but curiosity couldn't keep me from peeking out of a door once in a while. If I ever get caught in a real tornado, natural selection might get me.

Another short story, around 10 years ago, there was a funnel cloud that appeared probably like 15 miles from my home. When I saw it, my first instinct was to grab a camera and run outside. :lol  It's the closest I've ever gotten.