Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's income?  (Read 31736 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Re: Mike Portnoy's income?
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2014, 11:25:21 AM »
Winery Dogs have been touring pretty aggressively...

yes, and I think and hope they´ll play bigger venues on their next tour, but the first one consisted of theaters and places with 1000 seats or less. So I doubt they´re making a lot of money from it. It´s still cash, just not all that much. But hey, Mike plays like a mad man pretty much the whole year all across the globe, he has his endorsements and all that, so it´s hard to believe that he´s struggling money-wise.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2014, 11:38:46 AM »
Portnoy most likely took a hit with the touring money. But I'm sure with the money he's made over the years, he could probably retire. Remember, he was the member of the band that wanted to take a five year break, so you'd have to assume he could do that without a drop in his standard of living.

But he's still making bank on endorsements, I'm sure. Also, if he ever needed cash, the guy is a drumming legend. If worse came to worse he could probably give lessons for hundreds of dollars an hour and be booked for the rest of his life. I remember a member of Avenged7X saying something to the effect that Portnoy was a drumming superstar and therefore, came with a big price premium, more than what Avenged7X was willing to give. Behind the scenes, I wonder if that didn't have something to do with Portnoy not getting hired for that job. Why get an established musician who commands writing credit and a big chunk of the pie when you can hire a newb on the cheap?

Portnoy wanted a 5 year break from DT while he did other side projects. The thing is, Portnoy has a ton of side projects to keep him comfortable while the other guys never really went that route, so it would only be them taking a hit in the bank account, not Mike.

I doubt his ability to generate income from "side projects" played a big role in his desire to take a break. Up until Winery Dogs, it's doubtful he made any money off of those projects. Some may have even cost him money. In any event, compared to DT, we are talking pocket change. I may be presumptuous but I think side projects for Portnoy were done because he loves to create music, not as some insurance policy against DT.

The point I was making was that MP expected the other guys to sit on their asses and do nothing during the break while he had fun with other bands. JP isn't exactly churning out solo albums, and how often does Jelly Jam release an album? JR just did a kickstarter for his solo album, and JLB doesn't even tour his solo stuff, and had to cancel the last tour. The other guys need DT to survive. Taking a 5 year break would have hurt them severely. Bands make their money from touring, and MP has toured a lot with his side projects, and would have kept doing so while DT took a break, so he'd be fine, while the other guys would have to get day jobs.

If I'm wrong, then Mike can come on here and call me ZookDick or something and correct me. I'm cool with it, but that's what I see.

Offline eosforum

« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2014, 07:14:35 PM »
I don't think MP will ever face serious financial issues. A man with his communicational skills, organizational skills, experience, connections and not to mention musical skills will never be unemployed. He can work as a producer, he can do more clinics and promo stuff for his endorsements, organize musical events, work for a record company in a PR or a more creative department, maybe have his own radio show etc. And that's just in case he can't make a living as a recording and touring musician.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2014, 06:05:19 AM »
The Adrenaline Mob money must have run out by now :lol

Right, because that band was just one giant cash cow. :rollin :rollin

#ThatsTheJoke

Offline NotePad

« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2014, 12:40:39 PM »
So are Winery Dogs his main band now? They're music isn't bad, but not a style I like listening to often. I wonder how much input he has in the band. In DT he wrote a lot of the lyrics, but will he be doing that with Winery Dogs?

Do you think Mike Portnoy will ever join a band full-time or create a NEW band that performs metal? I'v always thought Portnoy interest was more in the metal direction, but maybe I was wrong. After he left DT, I did not expect the next band of his to play stuff like Winery Dogs. I'd expect something more musically like, say, Tool, or Deftones, or even Avenged Sevenfold ;p

Offline eosforum

« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2014, 05:58:48 AM »
He has stated many times in the recent past that he doesn't need to write more lyrics because "he has said everything he needed to say". He only wrote lyrics for one WD song after DT. I do believe that MP genuinely enjoys playing in all styles equally. I think that being a Beatles and a The Who fan his favourite music to play would be the Transatlantic/Neal Morse stuff. He also gets to play quite some metal after Adrenaline Mob in special events like Gods of Metal or whatever  these shows are called. Also MP needs to enjoy his job more than anything (I mean, that's why he left DT) and WD seems to offer him that pleasure full-time contrary to say, Transatlantic or Flying Colours.

Offline toky_world

• MP.COM Refugee
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2014, 10:29:40 AM »
Given that he wanted a 5 year hiatus from DT, I think he's doing fine until 2015. At least I think that was his plan when he wanted the break in 2010. With the amount of side projects he has I really doubt he's having trouble. BUt I think he's looking for a main band for 2015 onwards. Winery Dogs being his favorite one. Personally I like Flying Colors more. Right now,  he's touring like crazy. I'm guessing that he has no trouble for now financially.

Besides he's a workaholic, he'll never have an income issue.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2014, 01:51:02 PM »
Surprisingly I'v never heard about Flying Colors. Are they a new band he helped originate? How would you describe their music?

Winery Dogs seem to be having a lot of success. I just saw them listed in some guitar magazine poll as one of the best new bands. Unfortunately I can't seem to get into their music. Personally I'd love to see him create a new band that is mainly metal. In fact, i would love to see him start a new progressive metal band; DT got boring and is limited in the musical directions they take. A progressive metal band that is very different from Dream Theater would be a great thing for MP.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2014, 03:03:13 PM »
Surprisingly I'v never heard about Flying Colors. Are they a new band he helped originate? How would you describe their music?

Just picture what happens when you get Neal Morse (Spock's Beard, Transatlantic), Mike Portnoy, Steve Morse (Dixie Dregs, Deep Purple), Dave LaRue (all around badass at bass, Dixie Dregs) and the guy who's name I forget who has an amazing almost poppy voice. There's really no way to describe it. It's like poppy prog? It DOES have it's heavy moments (mind you it's NOT metal), but mainly poppy prog. I have to say it's my favorite non Dream Theater thing Portnoy has ever done.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2014, 03:05:22 PM »

Winery Dogs seem to be having a lot of success. I just saw them listed in some guitar magazine poll as one of the best new bands. Unfortunately I can't seem to get into their music. Personally I'd love to see him create a new band that is mainly metal. In fact, i would love to see him start a new progressive metal band; DT got boring and is limited in the musical directions they take. A progressive metal band that is very different from Dream Theater would be a great thing for MP.

To me Flying Colors felt like a very nice mix between the Beatles, Muse, Coldplay and a bit of Queen. With some clear influences of the participating musicians in the band, offcourse. The band consists of Portnoy, Neal Morse, Steve Morse, Dave Larue and Casey Mcpherson. Apparently they have a second album coming and they recently released a live DVD. I liked their debut a lot and still listen to it frequently.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2014, 04:18:30 PM »
The point I was making was that MP expected the other guys to sit on their asses and do nothing during the break while he had fun with other bands. JP isn't exactly churning out solo albums, and how often does Jelly Jam release an album? JR just did a kickstarter for his solo album, and JLB doesn't even tour his solo stuff, and had to cancel the last tour. The other guys need DT to survive. Taking a 5 year break would have hurt them severely. Bands make their money from touring, and MP has toured a lot with his side projects, and would have kept doing so while DT took a break, so he'd be fine, while the other guys would have to get day jobs.

If I'm wrong, then Mike can come on here and call me ZookDick or something and correct me. I'm cool with it, but that's what I see.
Can I call you ZookDick, cuz you are wrong!   :biggrin:

Having had conversations with MP after everything happened, he was not expecting all "the other guys to sit on their asses and do nothing during the break while he had fun with other bands." While it is true that he is much more prolific than the other guys and would have kept much more busy, his argument was that each of the guys could go off and do the projects they're involved with. JP does have his second solo album that he's been talking about and working on forever. JR can keep plenty busy with solo albums, working on his various apps and trying out whatever new-fangled devices someone comes up with. JL could work on his solo album and finally go out on tour with it (keep in mind the reason why his last tour was canceled was because some bandmembers didn't get their visas properly squared away in time - a detail I'm sure they wouldn't overlook the next time a tour was booked). And JM could have done a new Jelly Jam album.

A good amount of the reason why none of these projects come out as often (besides the fact that they aren't as spontaneous as MP's projects) is because they always have to fit around the Dream Theater machine's schedule. Not having the pressure of going into the studio and/or tour for a couple years would allow them the time to focus on their respective projects, finish them and even take them out on tour if they desired.

Keep in mind too that most of the guys don't have the desire to be on the road to the extent that MP does. I'd bet that had MP been calling all the shots in terms of DT's touring commitments, we'd have seen at least 1.5 times, if not twice as many shows per tour. So that being the case, part of that time that MP would've been recording or touring with other bands, the other guys would've been spending at home, doing whatever non-music things that they do during their time off.

That said, I can understand why they gave MP an ultimatum. Financially, none of them is probably as well off as MP and they were concerned not only about loosing the income, but the momentum they have been attaining. And 5 years would have been too much time for them to accomplish their respective side projects. But even if the other guys had agreed to say 2 year hiatus, perhaps they feared the possibility that when the time was up, MP would push for more time off so that he could still have the 5 years he initially wanted. Hard to say, but I can understand both viewpoints.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2014, 04:23:44 PM »
You can call me ZookDick anytime you like, baby.

But besides the first sentence, I don't see how I'm wrong. You admitted that taking a 5 year break would hurt them financially.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2014, 04:25:22 PM »
You can call me ZookDick anytime you like, baby.

But besides the first sentence, I don't see how I'm wrong. You admitted that taking a 5 year break would hurt them financially.
Yes, but a shorter hiatus of a year or two probably would have been fine.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2014, 04:31:39 PM »
Yeah, but then we wouldn't have gotten Bridges in the Sky.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2014, 04:57:29 PM »
It can make sense, and there are completely reasonable scenarios where it could have worked out for DT to take a break. I think the main issue to me, is that you can't plan things for other people, no matter how reasonable or good your intentions are. You can make suggestions, and I guess that is what happened but you can't have expectations. MP could have been right in that the other members would have a great opportunity to work on other projects that would otherwise have been a very secondary focus compared to DT, but you can't just expect that to work, those individuals have to do it in their own time and someone else can't just allocate a time and say, here guys this is a great chance to do this stuff! We choose and control our own destiny but we can't impose our will on others.

Offline Volante99

« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2014, 05:11:15 PM »

This.

While I'm happy for Mike and the Dogs and "Elevate" has been getting a ton of radio airplay, I feel like Portnoy should go back to prog metal. Scrap all these supergroups, and get together with some lesser known musicians, and start a full time band to focus his energy.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2014, 05:29:09 PM »
It can make sense, and there are completely reasonable scenarios where it could have worked out for DT to take a break. I think the main issue to me, is that you can't plan things for other people, no matter how reasonable or good your intentions are. You can make suggestions, and I guess that is what happened but you can't have expectations. MP could have been right in that the other members would have a great opportunity to work on other projects that would otherwise have been a very secondary focus compared to DT, but you can't just expect that to work, those individuals have to do it in their own time and someone else can't just allocate a time and say, here guys this is a great chance to do this stuff! We choose and control our own destiny but we can't impose our will on others.
I agree - you can make suggestions but you can't force them to do it. Nonetheless, I do think a good opportunity was missed.

The thing is, since MP had won many battles before, he expected that over time he'd be able to convince the other guys to follow his lead, and he was wrong. He dug his heals in and ultimately they called his bluff.

This.

While I'm happy for Mike and the Dogs and "Elevate" has been getting a ton of radio airplay, I feel like Portnoy should go back to prog metal. Scrap all these supergroups, and get together with some lesser known musicians, and start a full time band to focus his energy.
Perhaps he feels differently now that he's been away from DT and performing in a prog-metal band for 3+ years, but I know he said that he doesn't want to do the same thing that he's done before - he wants to spread his wings and try his hand at other styles of music.

However, I wouldn't say that he's completely devoid of prog-metal - PSMS is certainly prog-metal, albeit instrumental with a fusion-ish twist.

Offline NotePad

« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2014, 11:27:06 PM »
I guess I shouldn't say I expected MP to do mainly metal after DT. I used to read his forum and his favorites list, and there was much more then just metal. I guess he needs a creative outlet for all musical sides of him. DT was kinda the outlet for all of them, but i think over time it became more clear that this wasn't totally true.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2014, 04:09:14 AM »
 Setlist Scotty, maybe you know about this: I read somewhere that PSMS was rehearsing with a vocalist, perhaps for the upcoming Prog Cruise? Is this true?

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2014, 08:22:05 AM »
Setlist Scotty, maybe you know about this: I read somewhere that PSMS was rehearsing with a vocalist, perhaps for the upcoming Prog Cruise? Is this true?
Well I remember reading or hearing a recent interview with MP where he mentioned the final performance of PSMS on the cruise will be with special guests, with the implication that they would perform some songs vocally, so I would say it is yes. And knowing MP, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be awesome, and hopefully something that they'll release.

Offline sylvinception

• His name is Tyler Durden.
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2014, 08:28:31 AM »
My god, it makes me sooooooo so sad...
Just to think about MP's "hard lifestyle", terrible really!! :yeahright
OH MY GOD, I'M WATCHED!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2014, 08:51:41 AM »
Scotty, while that's true that the others could have done their side project during this hiatus that Portnoy wanted, but there is no guarantee that they would have made nearly the money that they did with DT, or really much money at all.  If I am Rudess, Myung, LaBrie, or Petrucci, that is too big of a risk to take; no way do I agree to it.

To me, the saddest thing about Portnoy's post-departure career is that he wasted so much time in Adrenaline Mob.  Like you said, one of his biggest strengths is putting together, or becoming a part of, great projects, but that was one huge swing and miss.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2014, 09:16:14 AM »
MP's choices were certainly all made with many considerations, artistic, creative and financial.  But IMO I can't help but believe the predominant driving force in his plans was the A7X gig.  Mike is a rock star, but A7X provided a chance to be a HUGE rock star on a scale the prog world will never take him.  And with that, the money, fame, adulation and lifestyle most 12 year olds dream of when they pick up a pair of sticks or hang a guitar around their neck.  I can't blame him for this but if I am right I think it was a gamble that has proven to have not gone his way. 

Having said that, I am personally happy for the band and the direction and attitude that seems to have focused them is a slightly different direction.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2014, 09:28:18 AM »
MP's choices were certainly all made with many considerations, artistic, creative and financial.  But IMO I can't help but believe the predominant driving force in his plans was the A7X gig.  Mike is a rock star, but A7X provided a chance to be a HUGE rock star on a scale the prog world will never take him.  And with that, the money, fame, adulation and lifestyle most 12 year olds dream of when they pick up a pair of sticks or hang a guitar around their neck.  I can't blame him for this but if I am right I think it was a gamble that has proven to have not gone his way. 

This. I took out the last paragraph, because although I like certain songs of the sans-MP DT, I still miss him, and feel like ít´s just not the same anymore. I´m still a fan and will see them live and buy their records, but if I had a say in what goes on in this band, I´d ask MP back in a flash.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2014, 09:41:16 AM »
I still miss him, and feel like ít´s just not the same anymore. I´m still a fan and will see them live and buy their records, but if I had a say in what goes on in this band, I´d ask MP back in a flash.

Bravo. Well said.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2014, 11:23:11 AM »
Scotty, while that's true that the others could have done their side project during this hiatus that Portnoy wanted, but there is no guarantee that they would have made nearly the money that they did with DT, or really much money at all.  If I am Rudess, Myung, LaBrie, or Petrucci, that is too big of a risk to take; no way do I agree to it.
I think it goes without saying that they wouldn't make as much money as they would have in comparison to using that time for DT. But give the guys some credit for how they use/spend their money. JP is business savvy, and you can be sure that at least he (and I would expect by extension, the others) all use their money wisely so that they can live a very comfortable life, but still keep a decent amount of money in the bank. They aren't a bunch of idiot rock stars who blow all their money on drugs, exotic cars, etc and then have to file for bankruptcy a couple years later.

Additionally, one thing that you and others may not realize is that the money that those guys make from albums, tours, merch, etc. goes into a big pool of money from which they receive regular payments, as opposed to getting everything in one lump sum. That way, the cash lasts longer and it can afford them to take periods of time off from recording and touring. Exactly how long that money would last without them replenishing with a new DT album/tour is unknown, but I'm sure that it would have been enough for them to live off of or else MP would not have brought up the idea in the first place. MP may come off as demanding at times, but the man is not a fool and wouldn't have pushed for something if he didn't think it was feasible.

And if it was about making sure that they were still financially secure, the other guys would've made some sort of mention about it after he split. But the only thing that was ever expressed by them is that they didn't agree that they needed a break from each other and to a degree, they expressed concern over losing the momentum they had been building over the years, especially since they signed with Roadrunner.

To me, the saddest thing about Portnoy's post-departure career is that he wasted so much time in Adrenaline Mob.  Like you said, one of his biggest strengths is putting together, or becoming a part of, great projects, but that was one huge swing and miss.
I completely agree that he failed with AM, but he must've felt strongly enough about it to pursue it to the degree that he did, come hell or high water, and for that I give him credit.

There's no doubt in my mind that he had his sights set on A7X - even the guys in that band implied as much when they explained how he told them that he had quit DT, so now he could spend more time with them. And yes, it was a gamble that he lost on.

Having said that, I am personally happy for the band and the direction and attitude that seems to have focused them is a slightly different direction.
Agreed. While I still do feel that there is something missing from the last 2 DT albums, in terms of the general music direction they're going in, I'm happy. I didn't necessarily mind some of the more metal/heavy directions that MP was pushing the band in (loved the super fast double bass in ANtR) but I hated the pseudo-cookie monster vocals that he wanted as a part of DT's scope of music, as well as his attempt at blast beats which didn't fit in ANtR at all.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2014, 12:22:38 PM »

It's pretty obvious that scheduling conflicts were not the real reason he deserted that sinking ship.

Offline haceeb

• When you surrender to the light, You can face the darkest days
  • I am bent, not broken
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2014, 08:49:59 PM »

i agree