Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's income?  (Read 31737 times)

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
Re: Mike Portnoy's income?
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2011, 10:12:32 PM »
Well, there's nothing more annoying than someone saying something is "getting old" when that person CHOOSES to read what they say is, "getting old."  I don't want to argue, so I'll leave it at that.  No offense from me, either. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2011, 10:16:39 PM »
@ Jason, with all due repect. assessments dont mean shit. Its the value a town assesses a residence to tax them on. There is no way, Mikes house is worth only $250k-$300. either way, thats besides the point. Example, my house is assessed at $350,000 (I live in Northern NJ close to NYC and one of the still hottest real estate markets in the country). Just had an appraisal done on my house, appraisal came in at $600,000. so assessed value is far different than the current market value. and yes, I am in the banking industry, so I am not blowing smoke out my ass.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2011, 10:21:57 PM »
Well, there's nothing more annoying than someone saying something is "getting old" when that person CHOOSES to read what they say is, "getting old."  I don't want to argue, so I'll leave it at that.  No offense from me, either.  
No arguement here bro. I mean come on, being that both of us are here on a DT forum, I think we both have the upmost respect for a great band. Former members included.  I think you would agree with that. All I am saying is, lets just wish Mike, the best in his endeavors. and lets just not "attempt" to make assumptions about his personal financial well being.

and yes, I meant it is getting old. Just because I made that statement doesnt preclude me from posting a retort. Yes I choose to read it, just because I tend to disagree with it, shouldnt mean I cant state my opinion. Again, no offense meant dude. :biggrin:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 10:30:27 PM by njdtfan »
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2011, 10:45:27 PM »
And for the record the bickering between you two ends now.

I caution people, while we are discussing things in generalized terms I don't want any specific information of Portnoy's address or property posted. We all know from his DVD's he lives in a nice house in comfortable settings. We are discussing an issue, but in doing so I don't want to see us infringing on his privacy.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2011, 10:46:53 PM »
I've never heard that the last tour was a loss.  The only thing we've heard publicly was that the last ProgNation in North America pretty much broke even.  I'm sure that the rest of their tour legs were highly profitable; they just didn't tour again in North America, except for opening for Iron Maiden (which was pure profit).
I always felt and still do that doing prog nation 09 as the first tour for the album was a major miscalculation and blunder. That whole thing should have been an after thought following up a successful album tour.

Anyhow, as far as the opening post goes. Their is little doubt Mike's income will take a hit being solo, even though with his workaholic attitude, I'm sure he will manage to eek out a living in fairly comfortable fashion.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2011, 10:50:31 PM »
And for the record the bickering between you two ends now.

I caution people, while we are discussing things in generalized terms I don't want any specific information of Portnoy's address or property posted. We all know from his DVD's he lives in a nice house in comfortable settings. We are discussing an issue, but in doing so I don't want to see us infringing on his privacy.
That was my point Nick. Nobody should be infringing on his privacy.
 I would never even think about posting an address etc. Not my gig as you can see by me saying MP's finances are none of our business.
I was not bickering Nick. I have no ill intent at all. I think although Snake & I disagree, we, well agree to disagree. It end at that.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2011, 10:55:43 PM »
I wasn't accusing you of anything serious, just nipping things in the bud.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2011, 10:58:23 PM »
I wasn't accusing you of anything serious, just nipping things in the bud.
No problema dude. Just didnt want a misunderstanding. :biggrin:
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2011, 11:02:04 PM »
njdtfan, I don't understand your obsession with telling other people what they should be talking about and what not.
If you don't like the discussion, there's a big button on the top left of your browser.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2011, 11:07:43 PM »
njdtfan, I don't understand your obsession with telling other people what they should be talking about and what not.
If you don't like the discussion, there's a big button on the top left of your browser.

rumborak
No obsession dude, just stating again for the millionth time.I just disagree with with the obsession about Mike finances. I never told people what they should be talking about. Just said it was old. and as Nick pointed out, MP's personal stuff is really none of our business.

and yes dude, that button on your left of the browser is there also. So please don't attempt to treat me like a child. :biggrin:
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2011, 11:14:45 PM »
Yeah, I didn't mean to bicker, either.  I can see why Nick said that, though, because those types of exchanges usually do turn into something much worse.  njdtfan - glad to have you in the thread.  :)
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2011, 11:23:37 PM »
Yeah, I didn't mean to bicker, either.  I can see why Nick said that, though, because those types of exchanges usually do turn into something much worse.  njdtfan - glad to have you in the thread.  :)
Never meant it to be bickering. If it came across that way, my sincere apologies, to both Nick & Snake. and yes even to Rumby. I am a 44 year old dude that has been a DT fan since they were Majesty when they were playing small clubs here in the NY/NJ area. It's not my agenda to pick fights or bicker on an internet forum. For the most part I think everyone here acts like an adult. and yes, I agree Snake on why Nick said what he said. It's all good dude.
@ Snake, thanks and right back at ya. :tup
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline Nosirp Ssalg

« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2011, 12:00:16 AM »
I thought Mike has another house in Phoenix. He mentioned it on Eddie Trunk's show a few years ago I think. He probably wouldn't have bought it without paying off his first one. Looks like the man is doing fine financially.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2011, 01:59:14 AM »

rumborak
This is actually good advice, njdtfan, since this isn't the first time this has happened with you.  If you find a post or a thread that violates the forum rules, please report it and we will certainly investigate it and take appropriate action.  But each thread posted doesn't have to meet your personal approval.  You certainly have the right to your opinion, and the right to post your opinion, but in cases like this, such posting has the potential to cause a problem that doesn't need to happen.  Sometimes it is best simply not to post your opinion.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline FallTempest

• Canadian bacon.
This is a nice place

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2014, 09:12:18 AM »
Actually, who cares?
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2014, 09:18:32 AM »
Actually, who cares?

Obviously it doesn't matter how much they make, but some of us were just curious.

Why waste 50 seconds of your time to post at a thread that you don't care about?

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2014, 12:08:14 PM »
Actually, who cares?

Obviously it doesn't matter how much they make, but some of us were just curious.

Why waste 50 seconds of your time to post at a thread that you don't care about?

I don't care how much they make, true. The thing is I don't understand, as a fan, how that should matter to anyone? That's why I'm curious about. So, while I say "who cares?" this is kind of a indirect question to who wonders to know the reasons.

Besides, this is the internet and I have spare time. So what the heck.  :)
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2014, 12:18:40 PM »
Actually, who cares?

I don't care how much they make, true. The thing is I don't understand, as a fan, how that should matter to anyone? That's why I'm curious about. So, while I say "who cares?" this is kind of a indirect question to who wonders to know the reasons.

Besides, this is the internet and I have spare time. So what the heck.  :)

As a fan, it doesn't matter at all. If the music is good, that's all that really matters.
We know a lot of the current pop musicians, actors, athletes are really well off so I was just curious on what it's like for someone in the DT life  :)

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2014, 12:27:50 PM »
The thing is I don't understand, as a fan, how that should matter to anyone?
That's a pointless question. Everyone sees the world through their own, unique set of glasses. Some people are only interested in the music, others might care about their hairdo, love life or financial situation. You can't use your own logic to figure out everyone else's. With a band like Dream Theater who maintain a close and personal relationship with their fan base, it's quite normal that many fans care about them on a level which goes well beyond just appreciating the music.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2014, 01:07:41 PM »
Well, don't get me wrong. I'm not questioning one's reasons to wonder this which comes to me pointless, just asking. As you said, this can be personal interest. I mean, James LaBrie is getting divorced, John's wife get pregnant again or such... Don't see the reason to wonder at all. I have my own life and my own concerns and don't need someone's life and habit to add to my life.

Perhaps I'm alone in this but other than their musical inputs I have no desire to learn their financial state, love life or such.
SeRoX is right!
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!

Offline Brandeluna

« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2014, 04:06:34 PM »
with the winery dogs, flying colors, transatlantic, soon to be Bigelf, and a friggin cruise ship show he put together, Im sure MP is doing just fine.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2014, 04:15:29 PM »
Well, don't get me wrong. I'm not questioning one's reasons to wonder this which comes to me pointless, just asking. As you said, this can be personal interest. I mean, James LaBrie is getting divorced, John's wife get pregnant again or such... Don't see the reason to wonder at all. I have my own life and my own concerns and don't need someone's life and habit to add to my life.

Perhaps I'm alone in this but other than their musical inputs I have no desire to learn their financial state, love life or such.

I think to a hardcore fan these other facets of their lives can be interesting, and there's no doubt that they do affect the musical output we get as fans.  As one example, Springsteen fought with his management and record label for years in the 70s and they prevented him from putting out music during that time -- you think that didn't play a part in the music he was creating alone in a studio working through his frustration at the time and what he eventually did release?  If a musician is going through a divorce, or is trying to rebound from an abysmal record or tour that cost them big bucks, or they just went through a change in personnel, clearly it could influence a musician as he approaches his next album.  So yeah, that divorce news may be meaningful after all.   ;)

So, while some may not be interested in financial status or personal lives of musicians, it obviously can be relevant to some.   :tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2014, 07:17:41 AM »
Actually, who cares?

Indeed.

I don't really *care* how much they all make - it's just to know that they're doing well. :)

Offline Volante99

« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2014, 11:16:11 PM »
Portnoy most likely took a hit with the touring money. But I'm sure with the money he's made over the years, he could probably retire. Remember, he was the member of the band that wanted to take a five year break, so you'd have to assume he could do that without a drop in his standard of living.

But he's still making bank on endorsements, I'm sure. Also, if he ever needed cash, the guy is a drumming legend. If worse came to worse he could probably give lessons for hundreds of dollars an hour and be booked for the rest of his life. I remember a member of Avenged7X saying something to the effect that Portnoy was a drumming superstar and therefore, came with a big price premium, more than what Avenged7X was willing to give. Behind the scenes, I wonder if that didn't have something to do with Portnoy not getting hired for that job. Why get an established musician who commands writing credit and a big chunk of the pie when you can hire a newb on the cheap?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2014, 11:27:40 PM »
Portnoy most likely took a hit with the touring money. But I'm sure with the money he's made over the years, he could probably retire. Remember, he was the member of the band that wanted to take a five year break, so you'd have to assume he could do that without a drop in his standard of living.

But he's still making bank on endorsements, I'm sure. Also, if he ever needed cash, the guy is a drumming legend. If worse came to worse he could probably give lessons for hundreds of dollars an hour and be booked for the rest of his life. I remember a member of Avenged7X saying something to the effect that Portnoy was a drumming superstar and therefore, came with a big price premium, more than what Avenged7X was willing to give. Behind the scenes, I wonder if that didn't have something to do with Portnoy not getting hired for that job. Why get an established musician who commands writing credit and a big chunk of the pie when you can hire a newb on the cheap?

Portnoy wanted a 5 year break from DT while he did other side projects. The thing is, Portnoy has a ton of side projects to keep him comfortable while the other guys never really went that route, so it would only be them taking a hit in the bank account, not Mike.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2014, 07:13:50 AM »
:iagree:  This right here.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2014, 08:33:45 AM »
The Adrenaline Mob money must have run out by now :lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2014, 09:00:48 AM »
 I guess it depends on the settlement achieved when he left, but I assume MP receives some money when the band releases a live album with songs for which he has writing credits. For instance, he gets a chunk of money when DT put The Root of All Evil in LALP, if/when they put The Mirror on the next live release and so on?

Offline Volante99

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2014, 09:07:04 AM »

Portnoy wanted a 5 year break from DT while he did other side projects. The thing is, Portnoy has a ton of side projects to keep him comfortable while the other guys never really went that route, so it would only be them taking a hit in the bank account, not Mike.

I doubt his ability to generate income from "side projects" played a big role in his desire to take a break. Up until Winery Dogs, it's doubtful he made any money off of those projects. Some may have even cost him money. In any event, compared to DT, we are talking pocket change. I may be presumptuous but I think side projects for Portnoy were done because he loves to create music, not as some insurance policy against DT.

Offline rickhawk80

• Dressed To Kill
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2014, 09:36:23 AM »
"Wanting to do side projects" was a nice way of saying MP was jonesing for an invitation to join A7X full time.   ;)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2014, 03:24:12 AM »
"Wanting to do side projects" was a nice way of saying MP was jonesing for an invitation to join A7X full time.   ;)

As confirmed by A7X.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2014, 08:54:03 AM »
Winery Dogs have been touring pretty aggressively...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2014, 09:02:51 AM »
The Adrenaline Mob money must have run out by now :lol

Right, because that band was just one giant cash cow. :rollin :rollin

I guess it depends on the settlement achieved when he left, but I assume MP receives some money when the band releases a live album with songs for which he has writing credits. For instance, he gets a chunk of money when DT put The Root of All Evil in LALP, if/when they put The Mirror on the next live release and so on?

My guess would be that he and DT settled on a one-time buyout, that way DT doesn't have to worry about paying him for things like that every single time; makes it a lot easier for both sides.  I could be wrong, but that probably would have made the most sense, especially since hardly any of the songs he wrote the lyrics for were singles, so they probably aren't "worth" a lot.

"Worth" meaning in the sense of what singles are worth, even for a band like DT who has zero top 40 singles success, as compared to songs that are "just" album tracks.