Author Topic: New drummer and new album updates: What we know so far (*UPDATED 10/25/2011*)  (Read 66474 times)

Offline Millais

Re: New drummer and new album updates: What we know so far (*UPDATED 7/21/2011*)
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2011, 04:53:34 AM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: New drummer and new album updates: What we know so far (*UPDATED 7/21/2011*)
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2011, 09:11:08 AM »
Excellent.  Thanks.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Updated to reflect official date Mangini was made a member, per Jordan's tweet yesterday.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jazzfusionrocker

Been trolling for a while on everything but had to chime in.

Love Mangini, definitely the best fit for the band. Caught a show on the tour and he is just killing it. He seems like a really cool guy and is actually technically as advanced as the rest of them. Totally amazing! Glad to see he's got a new home in Dream Theater and I think it has to be permanent. The dude is a Genie!

I caught something interesting yesterday though. Remember that drummer Charlie Z that was supposedly auditioning but didn't? Just checked his YouTube and he did this crazy video playing a drum solo up a whole building called Drumageddon.

I didn't think it would be all that great and was quite skeptical about what it was. But my jaw freaking dropped to the ground very quickly. This is the sickest thing since Buddy Rich played the Muppets, but in a serious and badass way! The dude has some serious chops and did the whole thing in one continuous take. He winds up improvising in a bunch of styles too on multiple drumsets. Very entertaining and very fun but also quite musical. Definitely the most unique drum solo I've ever seen and he's supposed to be doing a whole DVD or something.

Check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roZL-dYzAss&hd=1
JFR

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
That's pretty cool.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Cool idea, but went on waaay too long. Would have been cooler had he moved quicker to the full kit in the end. Excellent drummer though, I would love to hear him play some DT stuff.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Cool idea, but went on waaay too long. Would have been cooler had he moved quicker to the full kit in the end. Excellent drummer though, I would love to hear him play some DT stuff.

rumborak
There are many videos of him playing DT stuff.  He put them out right after MP quit, and a lot of people figured he would be getting an invite to audition, but it didn't happen.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jazzfusionrocker

Yeah, that drum solo video of him was really cool. Definitely a bit too long but pretty awesome that it was done in one improvised take. Kinda hard to cover that much ground without running and missing a drum or two any shorter. Love the duct tape on all the drums and the crazy characters throughout the video. Big kit is definitely the highlight though, that's for sure.

His Dance of Eternity video is pretty badass actually as is his Metropolis and Liquid Tension covers. He was in Blotted Science and Behold the Arctopus and played with Jordan but I guess was too young and not popular enough to get the call for the Dream Theater audition. Makes sense, Portnoy is a gigantic Drum Hero and needs to be replaced by one.

Regardless, I personally can't wait to hear Mangini on the next DT album when he's actually allowed to write his own drum parts from start to finish rather than learning Petrucci's drum programming and just throwing in a couple different fills and flavor. Portnoy was great and all and his feel and energy is missed, but man is Dream Theater now officially the most technical group of musicians out there that normal people have actually heard of. Totally brilliant now.