Author Topic: K.K. DOWNING retires and leaves Judas Priest - Band announces replacement  (Read 3224 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
In a press release issued via JUDAS PRIEST's official website, Grammy Award winning guitarist, songwriter and founding member of the British heavy metal band, K.K. Downing has retired from the group.
The Press Release reads:

"It is with regret that JUDAS PRIEST announce that K.K. Downing has formally retired from the band and will therefore not be joining them on their forthcoming Epitaph Tour.

The band respect his decision and naturally all wish him well.

Having thought long and hard about how to proceed, Rob [Halford], Glenn [Tipton], Ian [Hill] and Scott [Travis] unanimously agreed that they should go ahead with the tour and not let the fans down all around the world.

Fate also stepped in and delivered the perfect replacement - 31 year old British guitar player Richie Faulkner - he has blended into the band perfectly and is a great talent who is going to help set the stage on fire!

The Epitaph Tour will include songs from every PRIEST studio album and also tracks they have never before performed on stage plus all the old favourites.

With a new album due to be released next year, the Metal Gods are preparing to tour the planet once more - heavy metal at its best, complete with lasers, lights, bikes and hellfire! It's a show not to be missed!!

https://judaspriest.com/News/Doc/KK-Downing-Retirement-Announcement.pdf

WTF!?  Is this April 1st.  Seriously, where did this come from?  This can't be serious.  Without KK, they should just hang it up.  I always thought KK lived and breathed for Priest.  I wonder where this decision came from.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I just read this on Bravewords. Wow!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
Wolfking I was just about to make a threat about that :P Well I think that the reasons are connected with some technical "family" business... I'm sure that KK don't want to play with no reason, there has to be something important to take that decision before Judas last world tour...  :-[

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
WHAT? I can't believe this :sadpanda:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

That sucks indeed, Downing was always the backbone of the band. But, as I always say, bring on the replacement and lets rock some more.  :metal

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't blame them for going on. They're getting old. If someone wants to hang it up, they all shouldn't have to.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Sad to read this. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
Man, this seriously sucks!! So sad about this. I've never seen them live and I really wanted to see the whole band together on this tour. :(

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
this has to be a joke

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Oh well. He's old, shit happens. Not really surprising. I'd rather him retire now than have him collapse on stage or something. Just read through the Blabbermouth comments, and they make a good point - his legacy is secure, and he's leaving on a high note. Thanks for the music, KK.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Kind of surprising that he would leave this close to the finish line, but perhaps there were health problems that would have made this year's tour difficult.  Either way, the band is about finished anyway, so this is not that big of a deal, but considering how long and hard they went (insert the Rob Halford joke :lol), hopefully he'll enjoy his retirement.

Offline jsem

Man, just one world tour left and he leaves?

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
must be more to the story; I'm sure KK would have finished the last tour for the fans if he could have

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm guessing health reasons. I'm sure motivation was not an issue.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
The dates were listed on his personal page up until this event. If it isn't health related, it is likely a money issue.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
this has to be a joke

I really keep telling myself that.

must be more to the story; I'm sure KK would have finished the last tour for the fans if he could have

It does seem strange. Out of everyone, I thought KK would be the last man standing.  Hopefully it's not health related.

Does anyone else find it bizarre they have announced someone new in the same press release.  And who is this guy, they could have gotten any guitarist they wanted.  Hell, even Metal Mike would have been a perfect replacement for KK.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Never heard of the new guy, lucky dude though.  This appears that this has been known to the band internally for some time; looks like the new guy has been in the band and jamming with them for awhile.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
He better be damn good with a whammy bar.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
The new guy played with Lauren Harris (Steve Harris' daughter). He can shred, but he seems like a strange fit, as he doesn't seem like much of a wanker (no offense to KK, but that is pretty much what he did most of the time). I agree, Metal Mike should've gotten the gig. Keep it in the family.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
The new guy played with Lauren Harris (Steve Harris' daughter). He can shred, but he seems like a strange fit, as he doesn't seem like much of a wanker (no offense to KK, but that is pretty much what he did most of the time). I agree, Metal Mike should've gotten the gig. Keep it in the family.

Yeah, KK had a strange, very loose, improvised style, together they made a phenomenal duo.  Metal Mike would have filled KK's shoes nicely, if it were him, I don't think I'd be so pissed.  I just don't understand why this guy gets to play with Priest, when Priest could do so much better.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
Actually, on second thought, either Mike or Roy Z would've been great. I'd like to see him back in the producers chair anyway, so this would've been a great opportunity for that. Oh well. I kind of hope at this point that Glenn and Rob write the record, maybe even get some contributions from Ian, and have Glenn record all the guitar parts.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Really doesn't make much sense.  This close to starting their final tour? 

I believe they're supposed to be headlining the Summer festivals this year.  I suppose I can kind of see them wanting to finish this tour,  though normally I'd be pretty opposed to such a thing.   I suspect that if he'd quit 6 months ago, that would have been all she wrote. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
have Glenn record all the guitar parts.

This better be the case.  No one deserves to play guitar on Priest's final album.

Hopefully KK speaks and tells us what's going on soon,

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
K.K. Downing press release

Dear friends,

It is with much regret that I will not be with you this summer. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your concerns about my health. Please rest assured that I am O.K.

There has been an ongoing breakdown in working relationship between myself, elements of the band, and the band's management for some time.

Therefore I have decided to step down rather than to tour with negative sentiments as I feel that this would be a deception to you, our cherished fans.

However I would urge you to please support the Priest as I have no doubt that it will be a show not to be missed.

All my love and respect,

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
Well it really is true...  :( :'(

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Don't know what to say to that, I'm glad he's okay, that's the main thing.  Perhaps a solo album. 

It's easy to see Priest has become Glenn's show for quite some time, I always thought KK got the rough end of the stick.  For him to leave now, things must have been pretty bad.  I guess this gives us an insight as to the possible real reasons behind the band calling it a day.

Offline CrimsonE

It is strange that KK is leaving over band tensions when the band is about to wind their career down.  You would think the opportunity to have their last tour would be enough for such tensions to not matter as much anymore.  I'm wondering if Rob's foray back into his solo work may have had something to do with the band calling it a day, let alone KK's departure. 
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
Doubtful. I'm of the belief that Rob doing his solo stuff again was simply because there was a year off in the Priest camp and he wanted to stay busy.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Nah, don't think it's Rob either, notice in KK's statement, he says elements of the band.  I think Glenn is who he is talking about.  And does Glenn's wife still manage the band?  That could have something to do with it too.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
Alright, Rob has stated KK gave notice before Christmas...so what the fuck were they doing using his pic in ads for the upcoming tour? How deceptive.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
probably hoping he would stay and things would change

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Alright, Rob has stated KK gave notice before Christmas...so what the fuck were they doing using his pic in ads for the upcoming tour? How deceptive.

Ticket sales, perhaps.  Looks like Glenn got the say with the new replacement.  I wonder why Rob didn't say, "you should have a jam with Rob or Mike, they are brilliant."  That whole thing seems very strange to me.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Wow, that's kind of uncool.

Isn't that right about the time that they announced this being their farewell tour?
E.F. Benson