Author Topic: The Nano-Guitar (The size of a single blood cell)  (Read 1100 times)

Offline Compadre

• Progressive Zydeco Enthusiast
  • "Dance with the one who brung ya"
The Nano-Guitar (The size of a single blood cell)
« on: April 19, 2011, 03:01:50 PM »
Very cool.  Did a search & couldn't find anything about this on DTF, so I thought I'd share...

Source:https://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/apr/13/whats-that-sound-nano-guitar

What is it? The world's smallest ever music instrument. A miniature guitar made out of crystalline silicon, 10 microns long (about the size of a human red blood cell), with six strings that are each about 100 atoms wide.

How does it work? Though the first nano guitar was created in 1997 at Cornell University, it wasn't until a second model was crafted in 2003 that the instrument was actually "played". No, they didn't make the world's tiniest plectrum and shrink Dennis Quaid down to subatomic size to strum the dainty axe. Because they're so incredibly teeny, the strings could only be sounded by targeting them with miniature lasers in an atomic force microscope. This resulted in the world's smallest ever kerrang! A 40 megahertz signal that is 130,000 times higher than the sound of a full-scale guitar – and reportedly one of the highest-pitched tones recorded.

Where does it come from? Cornell researcher Dustin W Carr created the nano guitar under the direction of Professor Harold G Craighead. The project was intended to be a fun, media-friendly way of advertising nanotechnology. Though there is neither great musical potential or demand for a tiny, silicon guitar that is inaudible to the human ear, the point was to illustrate how incredibly precise and detailed nanotechnology – the science of making molecular-proportioned, functional electromechanical devices – had become. Dr Craighead and his team went on to create even smaller machines – such as nanoscales that can measure the weight of individual bacteria, recording data and diagnosing medical conditions at an atomic level.

Why is it classic? It's just an extremely cool idea. Nanotechnology is often spoken about in cryptic, fearful, science-fiction terms, and it's true that the technology has been used to create surveillance cameras and listening devices smaller than a grain of sand, but the nano guitar is a pure, lighthearted symbol of scientific optimism.

Five facts and things:

• As the nano guitar is outside the range of even the most sensitive microphone, the acoustic trace of the sound is measured by a computer calculating the reflections of the laser light used to "strum" the strings.

• One of the discoveries that came directly out of the nano guitar was the realisation that using electric-driven nanostructures to individually modulate the intensity of tiny laser beams could be useful in fibre optic communications.

• If the nano guitar played the highest-pitched note in the universe, what is the lowest? In 2003, x-ray telescopes monitored a black hole in the Perseus galaxy belching out tones that were 57 octaves below human hearing – supposedly the deepest note ever detected.

• Still having trouble getting your head around the dimensions of the nano guitar? A nanometre is one-billionth of a metre. A human hair is about 200,000 nanometres in diameter. The nano guitar is just 10,000 nanometres long – one-twentieth the diameter of one of your hairs.

• Though the 1997 nano guitar was originally said to be modelled on a Fender Stratocaster, to our expert eyes it seems to more closely resemble the infinitely cooler BC Rich Virgin, while the 2003 "flying V" nano guitar has the look of the Jackson Rhoads design classic.

Learning Lessons & Living Blessings

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Nano-Guitar (The size of a single blood cell)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 03:03:26 PM »
Wow.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 03:07:51 PM »
 :omg:
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 03:31:06 PM »
listen to the sustain on it

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 03:35:06 PM »
I'm sorry, Guardian, but BC Rich's never looked cool.

Offline SPNKr

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 11:20:31 PM »
I was hoping to get one for Christmas, but I realised you can't string it with a heavy bottom gauge because there will be much too much tension on the neck.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 11:25:37 PM »
Do you have a spare laser sitting around to use as a plectrum huh, do ya?

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: He can play 186,000th notes. Imagine those sweeps!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 12:26:14 AM »
I bet Petrucci could play it. He'd just need Jordan to cast a spell to turn his claws into pure light that shoots lasers (In other words, an average Thursday).
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 08:40:47 AM »
Not to rain on everyone's parade, but nanoscience has done more advanced objects (and smaller) than this guitar...like the article says its more about publicity than anything. 

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 10:40:42 AM »
Yeah, just last year they made an amp for it.  It goes to 11.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 12:07:19 PM »
Pretty awesome... the thing about the tone 12 octaves below is awesome too, anyone have a link to that article/info?

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 08:08:26 PM »
listen to the sustain on it

i LOL'd hard for some reason. congrats on 4K posts.