Author Topic: Obama  (Read 26642 times)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
Re: Obama
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2011, 02:23:41 PM »
We don't need it to create electricity.  I assure you there are other, better possible ways of doing so. 

magic? because millions rely on it today
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline jsem

« Reply #106 on: April 20, 2011, 02:27:12 PM »
I don't think Seth is arguing for ending it immediately, more a gradual process. Plus, solar and wave have real possibilites for supplying energy without harming any eco-systems.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #107 on: April 20, 2011, 02:29:05 PM »
The problem with solar (and to a lesser extent, wind) is that they are stopgaps more than really viable long-term sources.  

I wonder how much control the coal lobby has over Congress.  I know that every time I see an ad for "clean coal" I want to send hate-mail to those deceiving bastards.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline PraXis

« Reply #108 on: April 20, 2011, 02:30:00 PM »
Solar and wind are not viable for large-scale power... too expensive and roomy.. you'd have to fill the state of Rhode Island to power a city like Austin, TX. You can, of course, put solar panels on your house to power it, but for $60k?!  :eek When it's $6k I'll consider it. :)

Nuclear is the way to go. Use all the leftover coal to create diesel fuel for backup generators and our vehicles.

Offline jsem

« Reply #109 on: April 20, 2011, 02:33:11 PM »
Actually, a country like Algeria could make fortunes selling energy to Europe. By just placing tons of panels all over the desert-

I do agree about nuclear though. For now it's definitely the best that we've got.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2011, 02:34:49 PM »
I don't think Seth is arguing for ending it immediately, more a gradual process. Plus, solar and wave have real possibilites for supplying energy without harming any eco-systems.

IM sure youre right..  dtismajesty  is a verey nice guy...I just dont want to see society today have to pay so much for energy and Obama is pushing the rates on all enerrgy through the roof..
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2011, 02:49:18 PM »
The problem is, in a consumer based nation such as ours, it doesn't matter how much energy you produce because people will just find reasons to use more. 

There's a no-win situation in play here.  If you remove every single roadblock and restriction to cheapen energy costs, the energy companies will run amok snatching every drop of oil and splitting every plutonium atom available, and we the consumers will still be paying top dollar for energy at the upper margin of availability. 

Expensive electricity will suck, but no more than the crash and burn, self correction that you guys insist are necessary.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2011, 02:52:55 PM »

No.  Unicorn blood. 

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2011, 02:57:33 PM »

No.  Unicorn blood. 

LOL LOL LOL... but you have to catch the unicorn first..thats kinda tricky!!!!

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2011, 03:07:12 PM »
I have some of the lowest energy costs in the world.  In large part because of capital commitment by the government to renewable energy.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline jsem

« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2011, 03:12:06 PM »

IM sure youre right..  dtismajesty  is a verey nice guy...I just dont want to see society today have to pay so much for energy and Obama is pushing the rates on all enerrgy through the roof..
It's either now, or in the future. Because at some point, not even in a very distant future, all the coal and oil will have been used. What do we do then? Sure, none of us will be alive - but do you have any concern for the future of civilisation?  :lol

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2011, 07:49:20 PM »

IM sure youre right..  dtismajesty  is a verey nice guy...I just dont want to see society today have to pay so much for energy and Obama is pushing the rates on all enerrgy through the roof..
It's either now, or in the future. Because at some point, not even in a very distant future, all the coal and oil will have been used. What do we do then? Sure, none of us will be alive - but do you have any concern for the future of civilisation?  :lol

Actually we will be.  Oil in around 30-40 years, natural gas in around 50-60.  Coal will be around a whopping 200 more years, but I'm not sure you wanna drive a coal-powered car.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline PraXis

« Reply #117 on: April 20, 2011, 09:17:59 PM »
LOL :rollin :rollin we have 3 fucking centuries of oil left (at current demand).

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #118 on: April 20, 2011, 09:51:42 PM »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #119 on: April 20, 2011, 09:51:59 PM »
Sure.  And if we're willing to build nuclear reactors to power the drilling operations, like the Canadians are having to do, then we might be able to use some of it.  

All the oil in the world is irrelevant as soon as what's left requires more energy to extract than it's capable of producing.  
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #120 on: April 20, 2011, 09:54:36 PM »
Sure.  And if we're willing to build nuclear reactors to power the drilling operations, like the Canadians are having to do, then we might be able to use some of it.  

All the oil in the world is irrelevant as soon as what's left requires more energy to extract than it's capable of producing.  

Which is why I'd love it if alternative energy schemes starting coming into form soon.

Oh yeah, and Praxis, at current demand.  In ten years or so demand as it stands today will account for maybe around half of world demand, thanks for the rise of developing countries India, China, and the like.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: April 20, 2011, 10:02:05 PM »
LOL :rollin :rollin we have 3 fucking centuries of oil left (at current demand).

That part in paranthesis is hugely important.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #122 on: April 20, 2011, 10:05:32 PM »

And again, even that doesn't quite do it.  I've been taking a class on environmental problems just like and including this one; 50-60 years on current demand, projected 30-40 years with a rise in demand from the usual suspects.

Offline PraXis

« Reply #123 on: April 21, 2011, 07:14:00 AM »

The gov't (through military) will make sure we take all that oil and we'll have plenty, so I'm not worried.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: April 21, 2011, 07:17:45 AM »
So are you a libertarian, or you just one of those people (like Bush and Obama) who believe in arbitrarily attacking countries so that we can steal their oil? Because, you know, that hasn't been going great for this nation's finances either.

Offline PraXis

« Reply #125 on: April 21, 2011, 07:44:17 AM »
So are you a libertarian, or you just one of those people (like Bush and Obama) who believe in arbitrarily attacking countries so that we can steal their oil? Because, you know, that hasn't been going great for this nation's finances either.

I hate that our country meddles, but it's unavoidable. I believe in peace through trade. When you have the most powerful military in the world, you tend to use it for anything but peace.  ???

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #126 on: April 21, 2011, 07:49:28 AM »

YES!

« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 11:50:38 AM by ricky »
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: April 21, 2011, 07:51:56 AM »

I hate that our country meddles, but it's unavoidable. I believe in peace through trade. When you have the most powerful military in the world, you tend to use it for anything but peace.  ???

That doesn't at all explain the barbarism you just expressed here:

The gov't (through military) will make sure we take all that oil and we'll have plenty, so I'm not worried.

Offline PraXis

« Reply #128 on: April 21, 2011, 07:58:11 AM »
Sure it does. We're going to meddle despite objections by citizens against these military installations. Am I going to stop using oil and sell my SUV? Probably not, since we won't run out of oil in my lifetime.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: April 21, 2011, 08:05:21 AM »
So what are you saying? You support the US meddling in these affairs because you like driving your SUV (ew, btw, you're not nearly as cool for doing that as you think, especially in (double ew) jersey), or you just can't wait to benefit via the coincidence that no politician has the balls to make it stop?

Offline PraXis

« Reply #130 on: April 21, 2011, 08:08:44 AM »
I don't support meddling, but my rants against it won't stop the meddling. I just like bragging about my a luxury SUV.. best vehicle I've ever owned. Plus, I'll be moving to TX soon, so I won't have to worry about any domestic oil shortage. :)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: April 21, 2011, 08:19:36 AM »
Well, there you have it guys:

Here's another example of, when it comes down to it, a libertarian whose willing to forsake the non-interventionist policies supposedly at his ideologies core as long as he doesn't think it'll effect his immediate well-being.

Offline PraXis

« Reply #132 on: April 21, 2011, 08:22:11 AM »
Moving to a state that produces/refines fuel domestically makes me an interventionist?  ::)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #133 on: April 21, 2011, 08:23:07 AM »
So what are you saying? You support the US meddling in these affairs because you like driving your SUV (ew, btw, you're not nearly as cool for doing that as you think, especially in (double ew) jersey), or you just can't wait to benefit via the coincidence that no politician has the balls to make it stop?

whats wrong with Jrz? and having an SUV ..?

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #134 on: April 21, 2011, 08:24:42 AM »
Yeah PC, I think you're misunderstanding him; I'm pretty sure he was just saying that the gov't getting the oil is inevitable, not that he supports it.

I don't support meddling, but my rants against it won't stop the meddling.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline PraXis

« Reply #135 on: April 21, 2011, 08:25:26 AM »

NJ sucks. At least it's close to NYC.  ;D

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2011, 08:26:29 AM »

NJ sucks. At least it's close to NYC.  ;D

I love my State.. love it, all but the taxes.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #137 on: April 21, 2011, 08:27:18 AM »
Moving to a state that produces/refines fuel domestically makes me an interventionist?  ::)

No, you just don't seem concerned about intervention at all as long as it means you can drive your SUV. If I've got them wrong, then forget it. My grandparents are from Jersey too. I love them, even though they're from Jersey and also drive a huge RV and having similar politics as yours. So it's nothing personal.

NJ sucks. At least it's close to NYC.  ;D

Yes, one of its few redeeming qualities.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #138 on: April 21, 2011, 08:34:25 AM »

No, you just don't seem concerned about intervention at all as long as it means you can drive your SUV. If I've got them wrong, then forget it. My grandparents are from Jersey too. I love them, even though they're from Jersey and also drive a huge RV and having similar politics as yours. So it's nothing personal.

NJ sucks. At least it's close to NYC.  ;D

Yes, one of its few redeeming qualities.

HUH? have you lived in NJ?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #139 on: April 21, 2011, 09:21:05 AM »
Yeah PC, I think you're misunderstanding him; I'm pretty sure he was just saying that the gov't getting the oil is inevitable, not that he supports it.

I don't support meddling, but my rants against it won't stop the meddling.

All good and well, but the only meddling he's ranted against is totally unrelated to taking oil from other countries via military action.