Author Topic: A Question of Religiosity  (Read 4386 times)

Offline j

Re: A Question of Religiosity
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2011, 06:30:57 PM »
I would normally agree with Quad's point that followers of Christianity tend to be more adamant about their religion being the "one," but I feel as if that's mostly due to living in a Christian dominated location for the vast majority of my life.  People who hold these close-minded views yet are a member of a minority religion are much less likely to be vocal about it.

Certain religions are by their nature mutually exclusive based on the claims of their dogma.  Christianity is one of them.  It should come as no surprise that they think their beliefs are the truth, and it's not a whole lot different from the rest of us being certain that we're "right" about various things.

That said, some Christians feel the need to validate themselves with excessive proselytizing and the like.  And I suspect that more often than not, it is not out of a genuine caring for the other person, but for more selfish reasons under a "guise" of righteousness.  That's just an impression I get, of course.

So while I think Quad's observation is correct about some Christians (although I think he's dead wrong about Muslims and members of other religions being exempt from these attitudes), I think that if I was convinced I had found the absolute truth, I'd probably be "adamant" about it too.  As full of holes as most strict relativist views of the world are, they end up being more pragmatic in a lot of cases thanks to our obvious inability to recognize objective truth, if in fact it exists.

-J