Author Topic: Roman public succumbs to superstition  (Read 2546 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Roman public succumbs to superstition
« on: May 11, 2011, 09:37:26 AM »
Yay:

https://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/europe/italy/110511/rome-earthquake-prediction-may-11-facebook-twitter-sickie-internet-viral

A prediction that a massive earthquake that would destroy Rome, Italy, on Wednesday — fanned by Twitter, Facebook, blogs and talk shows — caused widespread panic in the city.

Thousands of people in the Italian capital are staying home from work in response to the Internet buzz over a quake prediction supposedly made decades ago by the late pseudoscientist Raffaele Bendandi, the BBC reports.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
Re: Roman public succumbs to superstition
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 11:30:05 AM »
lol
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Nigerius Rex

• Thats Mr. Doctor Professor Patrick
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 12:13:25 PM »
They all collectively decided they wanted time off work...they dont actually believe this garbage.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 12:24:18 PM »
Yeah, and since when does scientific prediction translate to superstition?  Oh wait, you posted this just for fun right?   :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline j

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 12:44:52 PM »
Re-read the OP, Dublagent.

-J

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 12:52:48 PM »
Yeah, and since when does scientific prediction translate to superstition?  Oh wait, you posted this just for fun right?   :lol

The guy "predicted" earthquakes by studying sun and moon movements, and at the same time being blissfully unaware of the existence of tectonic plates (since those were discovered in the 50s).

rumborak

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 04:22:37 PM »
Well ok, but what I meant was, your use of the word “superstition” is misleading.  At any rate, the guy was partially right even if he didn’t have all the facts.  Gravitational affects do cause tectonic plates to move.  I’ll bet that modern day scientists could go back and see how the positions of the moon and planets at any given time could coincide with seismic events.  Agreed?  Superstition doesn’t seem like the right word to me.  That’s all I’m saying.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 04:33:17 PM »
Well ok, but what I meant was, your use of the word “superstition” is misleading.  At any rate, the guy was partially right even if he didn’t have all the facts.  Gravitational affects do cause tectonic plates to move.  I’ll bet that modern day scientists could go back and see how the positions of the moon and planets at any given time could coincide with seismic events.  Agreed?  Superstition doesn’t seem like the right word to me.  That’s all I’m saying.

It is most definitely superstition.  Gravity has almost zero effect on plate tectonics.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 06:07:24 PM »
Apparently there was a pretty good sized earthquake in Spain today.  It wasn't in Rome but close enough?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 06:20:32 PM »
5.1 is nothing.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2011, 05:54:41 AM »
5.1 is a fun
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 08:37:18 AM »
I prefer it to 5.0 though.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 01:40:10 PM »
5.1 is a fun
A 5.1 in Rome would probably have killed a few hundreds people... In 2009 a 5.9 earthquake hit the nearby city L'Aquila, and resulted in the death of 308. Italy is one of the most seismic country in the world, and yet relatively small quakes keep destroying entire unequipped towns. But the worst part of the story is that when the cries of the victims cease, and the dust subsides, no one cares anymore. L'Aquila's dwellers who lost everything are still without a house where to live, and many victims of the 1980 earthquake in southern Italy are waiting as well...

We are generally and traditionally supertitious, and too often we believe to the most spectacular and laughable bullshits, but I think we deserve to be criticized for some other worse flaws...

Anyway, I read that an earthquake was "scheduled" for today a couple of years ago, but I completely forgot the thing until I heard it today on the TV news. As I said before it amazes me how easy is to believe in such nonsense when you are not educated to think with your head and inform yourself   :\
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2011, 02:29:14 PM »
You do realize a 5.9 is MUCH stronger than a 5.1, correct?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 03:37:19 PM »
I do, since the richter scale is logarithmic or something like that. However, 5.9 is hardly comparable to the a 8.0 or 9.0.

I do not expect each city in my country to be prepared to stand the "Big One", but at least to be ready if a "Medium One" hits, which happens roughly once in a decade. You may rightfully say that the older bouldings can hardly be modified to fit the anti-seismic standards, but then you have to know that much of what has been destroyed was built quite recently... only with lesser and often inadeguate materials in order to maximize the profits.

So, regardless of the strenght and destructive power that an earthquake might have, people will die if these state of things does not change.

I hope things work differently there in the US. I really hope that the construction companies in California put safety well before gain...
- Marco

Offline jsem

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 03:52:02 PM »
I do, since the richter scale is logarithmic or something like that. However, 5.9 is hardly comparable to the a 8.0 or 9.0.

I do not expect each city in my country to be prepared to stand the "Big One", but at least to be ready if a "Medium One" hits, which happens roughly once in a decade. You may rightfully say that the older bouldings can hardly be modified to fit the anti-seismic standards, but then you have to know that much of what has been destroyed was built quite recently... only with lesser and often inadeguate materials in order to maximize the profits.

So, regardless of the strenght and destructive power that an earthquake might have, people will die if these state of things does not change.

I hope things work differently there in the US. I really hope that the construction companies in California put safety well before gain...

The thing is.. southern Italy is rather poor and they're not exactly well prepared for any earthquakes.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2011, 04:17:30 PM »

The thing is.. southern Italy is rather poor and they're not exactly well prepared for any earthquakes.
You know, it's not that we are exceptionally poor compared to the North, as we call it, even though some strong economic differences occur between this two imaginary zones.

The real thing, however, is that we are not unprepared beacause we are "poor": we are unprepared beacause we are generally very short-sighted when it comes to give up some extra wealth to build a better future... And this is quite sad, since that seems a trend impossible to be changed, and and those who realize where the problem really is can only witness as its consequences go well beyond earthquakes...
- Marco

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 04:19:18 PM »
Apparently there was a pretty good sized earthquake in Spain today.  It wasn't in Rome but close enough?

So, err, if I forecast "It will rain in Boston", and then the whole Northeast is dry and I reply "well, it rained in Chicago on that day!", that's still a good forecast?

rumborak

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 05:53:29 AM »
don't you know italy and spain are the same to republican space rangers?
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh