Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 661244 times)

Offline j

Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #3255 on: April 30, 2011, 07:09:52 PM »
Good post, Metal.

I'm perfectly happy with the decision, and would have been no matter who they'd gone with, but I tend to agree with a lot of your points.  Mangini is definitely the best "fit", and that means that he fits into what was already there.  He probably won't be a driving force for change within the band, whether that's good or bad.  And I know that's not what DT was looking for anyway, just saying.

I think the absence of Portnoy, rather than the presence of a new guy, is going to have a bigger impact on the band's music.

-J

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #3256 on: May 01, 2011, 02:21:33 AM »
I guess the safest option would be to wait for the album to come out and then judge the extent of change after having listened to it.

My thoughts are that MM will definitely be able to put his stamp on the band's sound, and that already on the next album. As for the amount of "change", there won't be a radical change, of course. However, I can't shake the feeling that we're in for an album of musical and structural diversity (especially the latter feel a bit short lately, imo, with some exceptions, of course) and a more liberated approach to it by the band (of which we've been getting some snippets, by JM, for example).

But as I said before, a first judgement on it all will happen after I've heard the new album.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline jamhet

« Reply #3257 on: May 01, 2011, 04:28:21 AM »
My thoughts are that MM will definitely be able to put his stamp on the band's sound, and that already on the next album.
Definitely.
People have been too lulled by the fact that Mangina played Portnoy's parts as they were on the album during the auditions to think that he's gonna play similarly to him on DT11.
That's kinda misleading, because his style of drumming is significantly different from Portnoy's.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member

Mentlegen.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3259 on: May 01, 2011, 06:01:56 AM »
Just watched the 2nd and 3rd parts again with the wife.  She didn't see them.  it's great to have coffee, be lazy and watch these videos again with the wife.  How cool is she that she loves this kind of stuff!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3260 on: May 01, 2011, 06:04:22 AM »
Just watched the 2nd and 3rd parts again with the wife.  She didn't see them.  it's great to have coffee, be lazy and watch these videos again with the wife.  How cool is she that she loves this kind of stuff!!!

Awesome. How did she react to the end of part 3 when they revealed him and MM was so overwhelmed?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3261 on: May 01, 2011, 06:14:43 AM »
Just watched the 2nd and 3rd parts again with the wife.  She didn't see them.  it's great to have coffee, be lazy and watch these videos again with the wife.  How cool is she that she loves this kind of stuff!!!

Awesome. How did she react to the end of part 3 when they revealed him and MM was so overwhelmed?

She loved that he was speechless & overwhelmed with joy.  When she watched all of them I paused after PW and she said she liked MM the best.  She also said she loved PW's hair(Typical girl! :lol).  She's as stoke as me to see them live again.  Hell she's seen them with me 8 times out of the 12 I've seen them.  That's my heavy metal girl!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3263 on: May 01, 2011, 07:28:12 AM »
Kyo.  You on the Progressive Ears forum?  All that nonsense by scottbails.  He's an ass.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #3264 on: May 01, 2011, 08:00:00 AM »
Kyo.  You on the Progressive Ears forum?  All that nonsense by scottbails.  He's an ass.

Yeah, I am. And I guess you do have a point about the guy!  :lol
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 08:09:48 AM by The Silent Cody »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3266 on: May 01, 2011, 08:06:58 AM »
Kyo.  You on the Progressive Ears forum?  All that nonsense by scottbails.  He's an ass.

Yeah, I am. And I guess you do have a point about the guy!  :lol

He says there three sides to every story.  And he wants the truth.  I say there's a 4th.  I just can't type it out on this forum. :lol

Offline psychdoc

« Reply #3267 on: May 01, 2011, 09:54:20 AM »
I just wanted to also share my utter amazement at Peter's audition. After seeing him, I have to say that I was kind of pulling for him a little. Thanks to the forum and the audition documentary, I went out and picked up "Static Impulse", which only impressed me even more with Peter's mad skills. I see myself picking up some Darkane in the future and following Peter's career closely.

That said, although I've already posted a welcome to MM, let me do so again. This is just so bloody brilliant!

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #3268 on: May 01, 2011, 10:30:59 AM »
Just watched the 2nd and 3rd parts again with the wife.  She didn't see them.  it's great to have coffee, be lazy and watch these videos again with the wife.  How cool is she that she loves this kind of stuff!!!

God, I hope my future wife will be like that.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3269 on: May 01, 2011, 10:32:12 AM »

God, I hope my future wife will be like that.
This... :azn:

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3270 on: May 01, 2011, 10:36:09 AM »
found this online

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3271 on: May 01, 2011, 10:37:08 AM »
Nor exactly in my type... but you can keep searching  ;)

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline erik16

• The one on the right
« Reply #3274 on: May 01, 2011, 12:57:24 PM »
she needs to stay on page...

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3275 on: May 01, 2011, 01:47:53 PM »
she needs to stay on page...

:clap:

I showed my friend the doc, and she enjoyed Marco the most, but she predicted they'd choose Mike because he was more DT's style.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3276 on: May 01, 2011, 01:54:08 PM »
Mangina

Jamhet, in your short time here, you've already been warned about your posting habits.  Throwing around derogatory names about a bandmember is surely not going to get you in anyone's good graces here.  I strongly suggest you take a moment to review the forum rules because you are headed toward being shown the door.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3277 on: May 01, 2011, 05:52:31 PM »
This is ah-ful. This is ah-ful. This ah-ful. My body is not well.

Offline unklejman

« Reply #3278 on: May 01, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »
Mangina

Jamhet, in your short time here, you've already been warned about your posting habits.  Throwing around derogatory names about a bandmember is surely not going to get you in anyone's good graces here.  I strongly suggest you take a moment to review the forum rules because you are headed toward being shown the door.

I took it as an endearing jab...   but men.  

After re-reading his post, nevermind, it is quite derogatory.

Offline Sparta-ll

« Reply #3279 on: May 03, 2011, 01:35:04 PM »
Just watched the third episode for the second time and there is one thing that I find a bit odd...

The band is answering Mangini's phone call at Cove City (where they went 1/3/2011).

Did they really wait that long (10/18/2010 ----> 1/3/2011) to tell Mangini the news?

Or is the scene fake and especially made for the documentary?

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #3280 on: May 03, 2011, 01:38:24 PM »
Neither of the two. They informed MM on November 5th (MM filmed that scene separately, apparently); as for why they called from Cove City, I have no idea, but they could have gone in just for that day, who knows?

Mentlegen.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #3281 on: May 03, 2011, 01:39:47 PM »
Maybe Mangini was called by their management, and they remade that scene.

Oh no, he sais 'hey boys' I believe. I dunno.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3282 on: May 03, 2011, 01:41:05 PM »
Do we know for a fact that is Cove?

The call was made on November 5th. I guess it's possible that they were in the studio for some reason then.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #3283 on: May 03, 2011, 01:48:36 PM »

The call was made on November 5th. I guess it's possible that they were in the studio for some reason then.
They did the auditions in SIR, they are recording in Cove.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3284 on: May 03, 2011, 01:52:04 PM »

They did the auditions in SIR, they are recording in Cove.
Yes but do we know that the place they are sitting when making the call in the documentary is Cove?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TheKillingHand

« Reply #3285 on: May 03, 2011, 01:54:12 PM »
Mixing of the audition stuff for the doc was done by Paul Northfield, maybe they were in the studio doing that with him?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3286 on: May 03, 2011, 01:59:04 PM »
Interesting.  At least according to the info I have, they weren't in studio writing or recording.  They definitely appear to be "in studio" for that shot, but I haven't really paid much attention to be able to figure out which studio.  It could be Cove.  Dunno.  Seems most like to me that they went into the studio to film that shot and work on the doc.  But there could be some other reason they are in studio that we just don't know about, including the fact that that might just be a pickup shot that was done after the fact.

EDIT:  I just posted a thread at James' forum asking the question.  Maybe he'll respond.  Anyone who catches Jordan or James on Twitter or FaceBook chat might want to ask as well.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 02:12:36 PM by bösk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sparta-ll

« Reply #3287 on: May 03, 2011, 02:46:54 PM »
The phone call scene is definately from Cove (https://covecitysoundstudios.com/WP23/wp-content/gallery/studio/studio4.jpg)

Compare Petrucci's looks from the beginning of audition to the look that he has in the phone call scene (+plus the one that he has in the studio teaser scene)

10/18/2010:  Drummer auditions begin.  The auditions are held over a 3-day period.  It is later revealed that 7 drummers auditioned. (Petrucci)

11/5/2010:  Dream Theater notifies auditionees of the audition results. (Beartrucci)

Some where around 11/17/2010 ----> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPbiasKhh7s (Petrucci)

1/3/2011:  Dream Theater enters the studio to begin work on DT's 11th album. (Beartrucci)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QHMQjH17aw

Petrucci, Beartrucci, Petrucci, Beartrucci... Either he changes his beard style very often or the scene is fake...

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3288 on: May 03, 2011, 03:06:05 PM »
The good thing here is that you aren't over-analyzing anything.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3289 on: May 03, 2011, 03:31:47 PM »
 :laugh:

It was probably retaped with JP to show the fans. It was a nice way of letting everyone know finally.