Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 661072 times)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #3220 on: April 29, 2011, 10:38:29 PM »
Not in the slightest.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3221 on: April 29, 2011, 11:02:48 PM »
Even though the drumming isn't crazy in this part, I wanted to see some Beautiful Agony. xD

I agree.  A lot of making that part work is the feel of the playing rather than the sheer mechanical ability to hit dream heads in rapid succession.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #3222 on: April 29, 2011, 11:22:38 PM »
How soon do you think Portnoy was informed about the new drummer? Do you think he was informed at all?

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3223 on: April 29, 2011, 11:32:47 PM »
Sorry if this has been posted already.

Yeah...not really funny.

almost nothing with those stupid troll faces ever is.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #3224 on: April 29, 2011, 11:43:22 PM »
Well, all I can say is that if Mike is entrusted to carry on the spirit then hopefully it turns out better than the spirit in the song... which got brutally and unexpectedly murdered twice.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #3225 on: April 30, 2011, 12:01:01 AM »

Yeah...not really funny.

That is Forever Alone face, not Troll face.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #3226 on: April 30, 2011, 12:01:30 AM »
How soon do you think Portnoy was informed about the new drummer? Do you think he was informed at all?

He was probably the "very reliable source" that Trunk leaked from.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3227 on: April 30, 2011, 12:01:36 AM »
Aside from the early reports of Mangini as their pick did anyone else find that the significantly more time dedicated to him in the videos as kind of a giveaway? I mean he got nearly a whole ten minutes compared to everyone else who ranged from three to five minutes of time.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #3228 on: April 30, 2011, 12:14:16 AM »
Aside from the early reports of Mangini as their pick did anyone else find that the significantly more time dedicated to him in the videos as kind of a giveaway? I mean he got nearly a whole ten minutes compared to everyone else who ranged from three to five minutes of time.
Yeah, I did. Then again, maybe it was just because he was first too and they wanted to show more of the process.

Also there was an interview with the director out yesterday and he pointed out Mangini as the one guy that really impressed him the most. It would've been odd had he said that and they ended up picking Marco.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3229 on: April 30, 2011, 12:15:40 AM »

Oh for sure. I think part of this whole documentary thing was to announce the new drummer in a way that would mostly shut down discussion about whether DT picked the right guy. I think they pretty much accomplished that goal.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #3230 on: April 30, 2011, 12:18:06 AM »
Mission accomplished for sure.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline liquidtension

« Reply #3231 on: April 30, 2011, 12:25:30 AM »
For no other reason to throw in my two cents, I am really excited to hear the new album.  I liked the chemistry that MM had with the band and his attitude and humility is amazingly refreshing.

I'm also grateful to "discover" other great drummers that I wasn't as familiar with.  I look forward to their future projects as well. 

Great day for DT specifically and drumming generally!
He has no enemies; and none of his friends like him.

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #3232 on: April 30, 2011, 01:09:49 AM »
I just watched episode 3 again and man, Peter, you just rocked it so hard.  You are not only an incredible drummer, but an awesome dude as well.  +1 for you, sir.  You are tops.  :tup :tup :tup :tup
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline tumbok

« Reply #3233 on: April 30, 2011, 01:10:52 AM »
Hey guys. Anyone notice a blonde chick in the studio right in the episode II, 02:44-02:45 ?

The band was talking to Priester about the Phase III. She was behind there.

Oh, and you can hear her applauded for donati's solo in the end of ANTR.

Who is she?

Owh.. I kept playing these 3 episodes over and over, and just realized that JM played 7 times TDOE, which means 7 times that amazing solo of his.
Really hope we can see the full song somehow.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #3234 on: April 30, 2011, 01:19:54 AM »
For no other reason to throw in my two cents, I am really excited to hear the new album.  I liked the chemistry that MM had with the band and his attitude and humility is amazingly refreshing.

I'm also grateful to "discover" other great drummers that I wasn't as familiar with.  I look forward to their future projects as well. 

Great day for DT specifically and drumming generally!

It is a great day indeed for DT. I guess it was Nov 5 actually. But it certainly is a great day for us fans. We received a gift into their world and actually got to see the all around awesomeness that is Mike Mangini and also got a sneak peak into DT's world which is usually private. There should be no more bitching by anyone about Mike Mangini not being the right fit, at this point anyway. And I'm sure the album will prove what we have already learned about him. At any rate, all the guys of DT were on the same page with Mangini and picked him out of all of that talent. Our trust is the least we can give them. I'll say it again. Mangini is the man! Congratulations! It's well deserved. And I do believe you fit like a glove. You must have been the prettiest girl out of the seven.  :D
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline jsem

« Reply #3235 on: April 30, 2011, 02:58:02 AM »

Yeah...not really funny.

That is Forever Alone face, not Troll face.
:rollin I cracked up. I guess I have a different sense of humor than some other people here.  :|

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3236 on: April 30, 2011, 05:15:48 AM »
I actually found that funny as well, but only because I know that that is the 'forever alone' face. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jamhet

« Reply #3237 on: April 30, 2011, 08:30:39 AM »
That's because I think the whole purpose of this documentary was to portray Mangini as the most deserving one, justifying the choice, and making the transition to the new drummer the most digestful to the fans and least controversial as possible.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3238 on: April 30, 2011, 08:34:16 AM »
I actually found that funny as well, but only because I know that that is the 'forever alone' face. :lol

Yeah, and I think it's really funny in Lang's context.  :lol

Props to him though, he's a monster on the drums. Here's me hoping I'll get to see his whole Dance of Eternity performance in one way or another.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline webpoet73

• DT.net Veteran
  • I am like a ghost...
« Reply #3239 on: April 30, 2011, 09:39:30 AM »
I am as ecstatic about a new drummer as the rest of you guys seem to be.  That being said, after the auditions were done, I was pulling for Peter.  He had a great joy about him playing that I liked without being over the top...

So, I guess it's Mr. Mangini.  I will have a hard time with this transition, myself.  But then again, I doubt my musical opinions are held in any regard here, anyway.

Offline Frosthawk

• Striving for futility
« Reply #3240 on: April 30, 2011, 09:43:02 AM »
I wasn't sure how I felt about Mangini until I saw this documentary. By the end of it I would have been as sad as Mangini would have been if he didn't get the job. WHOA

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #3241 on: April 30, 2011, 10:04:20 AM »
Yeah, just rewatched the third episode and I noticed 2 more things:

1. JM mentions (at 18:07) that the most important thing is that DT has an amazing chemistry, and an amazing following.   That's us! ^_^
2. Mangini's performance on The Spirit Carries On, which is shown a little at the end of the video, is wonderfully cathartic  :D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 11:05:55 AM by Aramatheis »

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #3242 on: April 30, 2011, 10:05:01 AM »
TBH, I feel really sad for Thomas Lang : he wanted a home too and unfortunately, it didn't work. Pfff!
As for Peter, he's the only drummer, together with Mike, for whom they said they could have played that night with no rehearsal. That says a lot about the abilities of the guy. Congrats, Peter, love you, man!
And, yes, I guess Mike is the best fit too. Can't wait to hear what he came up with on the album.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Funkafonik

« Reply #3243 on: April 30, 2011, 10:20:03 AM »
The most intense and powerful live drummer I've ever seen joining my favorite most intense and powerful band, dream come true!  :metal

Now we can expect a lot more of this insanity... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1-8j9zhdOE

... and some more!  :hefdaddy

Offline Aniland

« Reply #3244 on: April 30, 2011, 02:16:14 PM »
I TOO CANNOT WAIT FOR THE CHEMISTRY OF JAMES LEBRIE AND JM.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #3245 on: April 30, 2011, 02:21:33 PM »
^
I see that you know how to use All Caps.. but do you know how to turn it off?

Offline Metal

« Reply #3246 on: April 30, 2011, 03:35:55 PM »
Reposted from locked thread:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=19342.175

Everything I'm typing is just for speculation. 
[Flame shield ON]   :flame:

Mangini certainly impacted DT enough to win over all of the other guys who auditioned.  I hope they move in a great direction with this new album, however I view Mangini as a bit cliché compared to Marco/Wildoer. 
When discussing the choice of Marco/Wildoer/Mangini in EP3, JP alone seemed to give Wildoer the axe, without really giving much of a reason, other than "he wasn't on the same psychic level."  That is fine, but then what of Minneman/Mangini?  What made Marco not the right choice of the two?  While watching Marco, I was really starting to feel confident that if he was chosen, we would get a younger, fresher, different approach to DT for the next album.  I didn't really have those same idea's when watching Mangini audition.  Marco/Wildoer felt like a different pair of shoes, so to speak, on the band.  Mangini feels like same brand of shoe, just a bit different style; the 'safe' choice, without a lot of variation.

The next album will be excellent (i'm sure), Mangini will prove to be the best fit, and I will be wrong about everything above that I just typed.  But for some reason I can't shake some of the suspicion about this.
Don't know where you live, but if your ever in Berkeley, dinner's on me.  Thanks man!!!

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #3247 on: April 30, 2011, 04:19:21 PM »

Mangini certainly impacted DT enough to win over all of the other guys who auditioned.  I hope they move in a great direction with this new album, however I view Mangini as a bit cliché compared to Marco/Wildoer. 
When discussing the choice of Marco/Wildoer/Mangini in EP3, JP alone seemed to give Wildoer the axe, without really giving much of a reason, other than "he wasn't on the same psychic level."  That is fine, but then what of Minneman/Mangini?  What made Marco not the right choice of the two?  While watching Marco, I was really starting to feel confident that if he was chosen, we would get a younger, fresher, different approach to DT for the next album.  I didn't really have those same idea's when watching Mangini audition.  Marco/Wildoer felt like a different pair of shoes, so to speak, on the band.  Mangini feels like same brand of shoe, just a bit different style; the 'safe' choice, without a lot of variation.

The next album will be excellent (i'm sure), Mangini will prove to be the best fit, and I will be wrong about everything above that I just typed.  But for some reason I can't shake some of the suspicion about this.
What do you mean by "suspicion"?

Offline Metal

« Reply #3248 on: April 30, 2011, 04:41:51 PM »
My word choice there might not have been the best.  By suspicion, I meant that I have my doubts as to whether or not very much will change because of this outcome.  I hope there will be lots of great music on the upcoming disc, and the logical part of my brain is telling me that the new disc will be fantastic.  But no matter how much optimism I maintain, there is still that little devil on my shoulder that is making me wonder how it would be if one of the other 2 guys were chosen.
Don't know where you live, but if your ever in Berkeley, dinner's on me.  Thanks man!!!

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #3249 on: April 30, 2011, 04:48:21 PM »
@Metal - Of course, I fully agree with you and have same feelings, and tsunami of questions :D in my brain what it would be for example wih Derek Roddy or Peter Wildoer, true metal drummer's. Would this direct he band into more metal sounds like from TO or even heavier stuff. I think personally that it would be great... But look at it in other way - he have Mangini on board, he is very talented drummer who played for example with Steve Vai, and Annihilator from the other side... that means he's VERY flexible, so fits the most for the Dream Theater... About new album, I think that we hear the most mixed album ever from DT. There will be some mellow songs, and some fast killers, heavier than heaviest parts from The Glass Prison or This Dying Soul...I would want it to be ;)

Offline Aniland

« Reply #3250 on: April 30, 2011, 05:13:33 PM »
^
I see that you know how to use All Caps.. but do you know how to turn it off?

Nah bruh how

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3251 on: April 30, 2011, 05:17:01 PM »
Aniland, I just can't stop looking at your avatar with a big grin.  :biggrin:

Offline Aniland

« Reply #3252 on: April 30, 2011, 06:11:08 PM »
Me too. :) Watching that part makes me too happy.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3253 on: April 30, 2011, 06:13:51 PM »

I agree with a lot of this. Minnemann seemed more entertaining with about the same skillset, to me at least. Mangini will do a great job but "safe" is the best way to describe it. Regardless a new member will have a complete outsiders input so there's bound to be some change in songwriting.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3254 on: April 30, 2011, 06:21:22 PM »
Well, all I can say is that if Mike is entrusted to carry on the spirit then hopefully it turns out better than the spirit in the song... which got brutally and unexpectedly murdered twice.

I sincerely wish DT with Mangini the best of luck in their future career, but I just can't help but :lol at this.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude: