Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 661074 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #3185 on: April 29, 2011, 05:43:17 PM »
I don't know what this means, but I think I'm happier about Mangini joining the band in this moment than I was sad about Portnoy leaving when it happened.
I know what you mean. I was taken aback by Portnoy leaving, but I'm always interested in change, so I wouldn't say I was sad as such, and there was a silver lining with them taking it forward and doing something a little different.

Whereas this time there is no downside. It's just all round brilliant.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3186 on: April 29, 2011, 05:49:09 PM »
I don't know what this means, but I think I'm happier about Mangini joining the band in this moment than I was sad about Portnoy leaving when it happened.
I know what you mean. I was taken aback by Portnoy leaving, but I'm always interested in change, so I wouldn't say I was sad as such, and there was a silver lining with them taking it forward and doing something a little different.

Whereas this time there is no downside. It's just all round brilliant.

I was really sad when I heard MP left becuase I thought that it would mean no more DT. But when I heard they were going to continue with a new drummer I got more excited than I had been in a long time, similar to how I feel now.  :)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3187 on: April 29, 2011, 05:53:41 PM »
I'm still feeling both, to be honest.  Portnoy's drumming is fantastic, and he really brought a lot to DT's sound.  I'm thrilled with Mangini in the band, but I still have a sense of sadness and trepidation about hearing a new DT album with someone other than him on drums.  Again, I'm thrilled about Mangini, and the documentary has just been the most incredible way to get to know him and be comfortable with him.  It worked.  But as even Mangini has acknowledged, Portnoy has a legacy with this band that I for one will miss despite my excitement about hearing how their sound will evolve with Mangini on drums.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #3188 on: April 29, 2011, 06:00:26 PM »
I'm still feeling both, to be honest.  Portnoy's drumming is fantastic, and he really brought a lot to DT's sound.  I'm thrilled with Mangini in the band, but I still have a sense of sadness and trepidation about hearing a new DT album with someone other than him on drums.  Again, I'm thrilled about Mangini, and the documentary has just been the most incredible way to get to know him and be comfortable with him.  It worked.  But as even Mangini has acknowledged, Portnoy has a legacy with this band that I for one will miss despite my excitement about hearing how their sound will evolve with Mangini on drums.

As long as Mangini uses his octobarns enough, I'm fine with it.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #3189 on: April 29, 2011, 06:07:18 PM »
Congratulations Mike Mangini! You deserve it bigtime. And I for one truly believe that DT made the right choice. Can't wait to hear what you do with them!
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline zebolasha

« Reply #3190 on: April 29, 2011, 06:08:55 PM »

Absolutely, I just feel the same

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #3191 on: April 29, 2011, 06:10:00 PM »

i swear im not sucking up, but i agree.

i felt excited today at like 11 o clock when i heard that mangini was the new member, but then i thought about mike. i mean, we aren't just talking about dt, but also liquid tension, behind the scenes tours, nuggets etc, which mike was awesome at.  so there was a sense of sadness.

granted, im excited about the future, but i think we need to appreciate MP about all he did, for it truly was alot.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3192 on: April 29, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »
Hey Peter,

Now that we see Mangini revamped his kit, would you have had to revamp yours at all. From what I remember, you had a pretty big kit already.

Hopefully this post doesn't sound condescending.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3193 on: April 29, 2011, 06:16:34 PM »

If you want to break this off in another thread or not talk about it, that's fine, but since we both went there, and this is interesting to me, I'll go ahead.

I honestly feel like I wouldn't want to see a DT11 at this point.  Right after Portnoy left, I would have agreed with you.  It felt like something great ended that shouldn't have, and now we're gonna see this different version of Dream Theater that's less than what it was.  Then three things happened:

- DT picked up all the PR slack very well.  Rudess's online presence has grown in a nice way,  JLB stepped up and has had some great interaction, and Petrucci's gotten more into it.  All this has slowed down a bit at the moment and because the album's nearing completion, but I hope they keep putting themselves out there, because it's really good.  A Mangini Twitter would be sweet.  And a JM Twitter would be amazing.  The ability of the band to relate to its fans through MP was huge to me, but the other band members have kept up the personality and openness.

- Almost everything Portnoy said after the interview indicated that the beginnings of a huge personal rift between him and the other four guys had developed.  One thing he said that was true, if he hadn't left it would have worked terribly.  His head space was completely different.  He seemed to feel all these personal conflicts existed that no one else saw.  He seemed genuinely baffled that the other four guys wouldn't give up their lives for multiple years just because he asked them to, which is something I still can't comprehend.  But the biggest thing was that he really started to believe he was Dream Theater.  Every time he talked about how he made the band great, it's like the other guys weren't there.

At the time, I didn't exactly think that I wanted him to rejoin after a couple years.  I thought it would be a crappy thing to do to the eventual new guy.  But I at least thought "Eh... Maybe.  It would be cool.  The band would be back together again."  And then MP did what he did and said what he said.  And I realized that this basically needed to happen.  It would have blown up at some point, and fortunately for everyone, including himself, Portnoy left so everyone could have the healthiest outcome possible.

His legacy with the band isn't "The one true drummer who should be with us but isn't."  Not to me.  His legacy with the band is being the first drummer, crucial to shaping their sound and who they are, and ultimately leaving because he decided DT was no longer best for him.

Ironically, the same as Kevin Moore.

- Then Mangini joined the band, and he is awesome.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 06:24:49 PM by ReaPsTA »
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3194 on: April 29, 2011, 06:17:09 PM »
I LOVE it when he puts on the DT cap. Such a great moment.

Yeah he seems like a good fit....  :biggrin:

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3196 on: April 29, 2011, 06:25:03 PM »
A lot of stuff.

Reap', I don't necessarily disagree with any of that.  It's just a feeling, and feelings are sometime hard to quantify or adequately explain.  But I am simultaneously a Dream Theater fan, a Mike Portnoy fan, and a Mike Mangini fan.  And something about that combination just makes for mixed feelings that are a combination of deep sadness, wild excitement, and a bunch of other stuff all mixed together.  
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3197 on: April 29, 2011, 06:28:58 PM »
 And a JM Twitter would be amazing.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=16833.0

That was a great thread.

But I am simultaneously a Dream Theater fan, a Mike Portnoy fan, and a Mike Mangini fan.  And something about that combination just makes for mixed feelings that are a combination of deep sadness, wild excitement, and a bunch of other stuff all mixed together. 

I sound like I'm demeaning your feelings, which is lame because they're no more or less reasonable than mine.  But I see the opportunity and the excitement there.  Because of Portnoy leaving, all three of those entities are on a course that I think is great.  Portnoy's gonna be on at least three albums coming out this year.  The project with the Morses in particular sounds like a potentially great CD.  DT and MM have found the best possible situation for each other and will hopefully release a great album later this year.

Relative to all that, do I really want to see a new DT album put out by an unhappy Mike Portnoy as part of a band that isn't musically re-inventing themselves in any way?  I actually feel repulsed by it.
Over and over again

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3198 on: April 29, 2011, 06:31:59 PM »
I have to say - when Portnoy left the band I was surprised but not sad.

Although it's kind of like Lars leaving Metallica. Nobody would expect that.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #3199 on: April 29, 2011, 07:04:06 PM »

:rollin :rollin

Offline robwebster

« Reply #3200 on: April 29, 2011, 07:09:41 PM »
You know, there's a salient point here that we're all missing.

https://ow.ly/i/aW37

This is a man who plays drums beneath a gong, suspended in mid-air.

I fucking love this guy.

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3203 on: April 29, 2011, 07:30:36 PM »
anyone notice JP eating grapes during aquilles interview? haha

Offline drummerThatShreds87

• Paradiddles...
« Reply #3204 on: April 29, 2011, 07:33:01 PM »
Peter,

You did an amazing job man. I've gained the utmost respect and appreciation (and inspiration) for your drumming since Static Impulse was released. I got that album not knowing who drummed on it, and was blown away with the parts...I was like, holy shit, who is this guy? Watched a few LaBrie interviews...etc...then found out you did the harsh vocals, even more impressed. All of a sudden you're auditioning for DT and I've been able to see you play.

Dude, all in all, another hard-earned fan right here. Regardless of who got the position in DT, this clearly exposed you to hundreds of thousands of people and I literally cannot wait to see what projects you do next. I haven't listened to any of your work outside of JLB, so I'll get on that now. Sorry for the long cock stroking post here, but might as well be honest since I know you'll see it since you now post here. Keep up the great work.  :metal
"We stand, until night, we rise until day, bringeth the light until the night" -Empath

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3205 on: April 29, 2011, 07:45:57 PM »
Posted this in another thread, but I'm like Johnny Appleseed, spreading news around so discussion about it can sprout and grow.  JP's post on his board about Mangini, the doc, and fan acceptance of it:

Quote from: John Petrucci
"Well, it's been a very exciting day for all of us in Dream Theater and we are happy to finally share the news that Mike Mangini is our new drummer! He is not only a beast of a player but an incredible person as well who truly and fully understands and values everything that we strive to be as a band. Thank you for being so patient and incredibly supportive to us throughout the years and especially over the last several months. Thank you for your faith in us and your immediate and practically across-the-board acceptance of Mike Mangini as our new drummer. Thank you for the positive words about the documentary and all of your passion and dedication. The movie is our gift and our invitation into something that would traditionally be very private and I appreciate everyone's sensitivity towards that. There's a lot of work to be done, so back to the studio. JM finished tracking bass today and Jordan is recording as I type. Things are real busy around here. Can't wait for everyone to hear the new music and to begin playing live with Mike!
God Bless,
John "
Over and over again

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #3206 on: April 29, 2011, 07:52:37 PM »
I watched the ending again and thought it was great, but they made it sound like MP died
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline wjc

« Reply #3207 on: April 29, 2011, 08:01:05 PM »
Aquiles Priester reminds me of Tommy Wiseau. That is all
Have your say in DT: The League

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3208 on: April 29, 2011, 08:02:33 PM »

Oh my god you're right.
Over and over again

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #3209 on: April 29, 2011, 08:10:28 PM »

I remember thinking that. Then I got distracted by Peter tearing the audition up and forgot to post it.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3210 on: April 29, 2011, 08:10:32 PM »
 :|

You're right. Except without the "I'm the shit" attitude.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #3211 on: April 29, 2011, 09:03:16 PM »

I see the resemblance.

Offline Unimatrix

• The lurking clown
  • They float...
« Reply #3212 on: April 29, 2011, 09:24:40 PM »
"You know.. I think this guy can play drums! *laughs*"  :lol That guy is so cool.

Fun! Fun! Fun! Fun!

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #3213 on: April 29, 2011, 09:57:36 PM »
Sorry if this has been posted already.

Offline i am fabio

« Reply #3214 on: April 29, 2011, 10:04:03 PM »
Oh, before I forget, I also have to go on record as saying:  As I thought I would be, I was impressed with Priester's drumming and the band's reaction to him.  He obviously worked really hard to prepare, really wanted it badly, and really took it personally when he messed up.  I couldn't help but like him, root for him, and feel bad when he messed up.  Really special guy.  I will definitely want to follow him in the future.

I strongly recommend you "Temple of Shadows" by Angra.

Amazing album, amazing drumming.  :tup

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=7973.msg864883#msg864883

Go.  Nao.

Ok, I gotta be honest here. I don't even get why DT bothered to invite Aquiles. Angra is 100% power metal, and DT is 0%.

rumborak

Ugh Jesus Christ

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3215 on: April 29, 2011, 10:04:28 PM »
the worst part of the doc was not because they only showed like 5 total minutes of the actual songs, it was the SAME part. the begiinning of ANTR and DOE were shown like all seven times

Offline Aniland

« Reply #3216 on: April 29, 2011, 10:06:10 PM »
Even though the drumming isn't crazy in this part, I wanted to see some Beautiful Agony. xD

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3217 on: April 29, 2011, 10:07:38 PM »
the worst part of the doc was not because they only showed like 5 total minutes of the actual songs, it was the SAME part. the begiinning of ANTR and DOE were shown like all seven times

To be fair, they also showed the last 10 seconds of TDOE and some random 3 second bit of TSCO for a few of them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3218 on: April 29, 2011, 10:08:40 PM »

To be fair, they also showed the last 10 seconds of TDOE and some random 3 second bit of TSCO for a few of them.

yes even that. but i wish they would show some of the other parts like the crazy parts of DOE, any of the rest of the 15 mins of ANTR

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3219 on: April 29, 2011, 10:35:16 PM »
Sorry if this has been posted already.

Yeah...not really funny.