Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 661073 times)

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Aniland

Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #3116 on: April 29, 2011, 02:36:03 PM »
 :o

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3117 on: April 29, 2011, 02:37:05 PM »

« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 02:43:33 PM by Zydar »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3118 on: April 29, 2011, 02:44:23 PM »
:lolpalm:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline John94

« Reply #3119 on: April 29, 2011, 02:45:05 PM »
LOL! Ahhh, today has been a fine day.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3120 on: April 29, 2011, 02:45:19 PM »
Peter Wildoer you did a great job on the audition man, love your style :)
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #3121 on: April 29, 2011, 02:47:05 PM »

hehehehe  left me squealing like a school girl.

:tup

Good day indeed

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #3122 on: April 29, 2011, 02:48:23 PM »
Holy shit, Zydar... :rollin :rollin
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline roccer

« Reply #3123 on: April 29, 2011, 02:49:10 PM »
On a different note james sounds in such a good form...Especially on "I 'll never be the same" ( 6:10)...wow  :metal

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3124 on: April 29, 2011, 02:49:15 PM »
So I'm re-watching the 3rd video and I noticed that James, while talking about Priester, said that he (priester) writes the vocals and melodies for the bands he's in which is obviously very different than what DT does.

..............what?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3125 on: April 29, 2011, 02:50:35 PM »
Peter Wildoer you did a great job on the audition man, love your style :)
I was sooooo pulling for him! Until 'Static Impulse' came out I wouldn't have been able to pick Peter out of a 2 man lineup.....but that CD immediatley made me look up and listen to his performances. Just an incredible drummer!!! Those guys obviously were impressed by Mr. Wildoer...I mean JMX was grinning ear to ear....and JP was floored. Just wasn't meant to be at the moment but I'm willing to be that Peter will conspire with some DT folk in the future and create some killer music.

GREAT AUDITION AND PERFORMANCE MR. WILDOER!!!!!!  YOU ARE AN AMAZING DRUMMER AND SUPER NICE MAN....BEST WISHES TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY!!!
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #3126 on: April 29, 2011, 02:51:18 PM »

:rollin

Just watched it.

Wildoer, dude, you had me grinning like JM in the video. Just very fun, and instantly in my top 3 of the 7.

Preister was a beast. Slip-up aside, I am very glad he was asked to audition. His dedication was incredible.

Wish both of y'all lots of success, hope this doc helps you in whatever way.

next stop: New album details.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3127 on: April 29, 2011, 02:51:54 PM »
Just saw the 3rd part of the documentry, did I just see Mangini orgasm? :lol

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

On the scale of 1-10, 10 being so sure; how sure are we that his response was genuine and not a reenactment for the camera?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #3128 on: April 29, 2011, 02:56:39 PM »

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #3130 on: April 29, 2011, 02:58:01 PM »
So I'm re-watching the 3rd video and I noticed that James, while talking about Priester, said that he (priester) writes the vocals and melodies for the bands he's in which is obviously very different than what DT does.

..............what?

That sounded to me like Priester does the lion's share of the work to the exclusion of his bandmates (not sure if that is true just going off JLB comment), while in the DT mold even though individual members have primary influence on certain songs they have always considered them collaborative efforts to be completed by the whole band (at least that has always been their public MO).

Offline John94

« Reply #3131 on: April 29, 2011, 02:58:07 PM »
Yeah, Mike was genuinely speechless. He really wanted this, and he got it. I would act like that if I got something I really wanted too.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3132 on: April 29, 2011, 02:58:13 PM »

..............what?

I think what he was saying is that in his bands, Aquiles is a one-man show when it comes to the writing, whereas in DT, they write primarily by jamming together.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #3133 on: April 29, 2011, 02:59:08 PM »
Oh Godness...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBJlPznl6fA

sth about 1:35 till the end.... last fill is just pure madness...... :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg:

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3134 on: April 29, 2011, 03:01:39 PM »

..............what?

I think what he was saying is that in his bands, Aquiles is a one-man show when it comes to the writing, whereas in DT, they write primarily by jamming together.

I can understand that. It just sounded like "Here in DT land, we don't let our drummer write lyrics/vocals". It was just a funny choice of phrase, that's all. :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3135 on: April 29, 2011, 03:04:32 PM »
I can understand that. It just sounded like "Here in DT land, we don't let our drummer write lyrics/vocals". It was just a funny choice of phrase, that's all. :)

It's also a potential ego issue.  I think/hope that on DT12 Mangini will have more input into the songwriting process, but they don't want someone in there who would be completely not used to primarily being a drummer in the band.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #3136 on: April 29, 2011, 03:09:23 PM »
I'm sure it's been posted before and most people have seen it but for those newcomers who haven't, the essential Mike Mangini drum solo from the Steve Vai tour, in my opinion one of the greatest solos of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe8XKgOuNtk

Offline STEVETHEATER

• Seize the day...
  • Carpe Diem!
« Reply #3137 on: April 29, 2011, 03:11:39 PM »

Zydar!!!! Hahaha! Post of the day!  ;D

Offline DTDTDT

« Reply #3138 on: April 29, 2011, 03:11:56 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxE2GGE6SDY

This is the best Mangini video :)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline aurorablind

Offline robwebster

« Reply #3141 on: April 29, 2011, 03:25:41 PM »
There is no way I can phrase this without sounding weird, but Mike Mangini is adorable. His response to the phone call was absolutely heartwarming! Loved it. Amazing.

Also, JM's saying that writing feels like old times again really buoyed me. It sounds like he's going to have a lot to do with the next album, which warms the cockles.

Don't know how much input MM's got into the next album - didn't appear to be in the studio footage, but then again, judging by Petrucci's ridiculous beard, the studio footage was recorded at about the same time as the phone call footage, so he probably is joining them.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3142 on: April 29, 2011, 03:34:24 PM »
Considering the emphasis on the drummer's ability to jam (akin to being in a writing scenario), I think MM will have quite a bit of input in the writing of the album (and his drum parts).  They welcomed him as a member of the family, not an adopted brother.  I'm sure DT wanted a guy who could mesh well into their existing writing dynamic, as opposed to writing an album and say "play this". 

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #3143 on: April 29, 2011, 03:50:05 PM »
Considering the emphasis on the drummer's ability to jam (akin to being in a writing scenario), I think MM will have quite a bit of input in the writing of the album (and his drum parts).  They welcomed him as a member of the family, not an adopted brother.  I'm sure DT wanted a guy who could mesh well into their existing writing dynamic, as opposed to writing an album and say "play this". 

I agree.  But since they needed to keep his identity under wraps, I don't think they wanted him walking in and out of the studio every day.  The moment he got down there to record drum tracks, word that he was seen near the studio got on the internet.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3144 on: April 29, 2011, 03:50:39 PM »
Not sure if anyone will catch this stuff other than me and Lonestar, but I would be willing to bet that somebody who worked on this video is a Food Network fan.  The split screen and fadeout effect of the final 3 is right from Chopped.  Also, when they are deliberating and discussing the pros and cons of the guys, the percussion sound effects in the background (one cymbal wash where there are positive comments and a different cymbal wash for negative ones) are right out of Chopped and Iron Chef America.
Agreed, and the voice over work is very food networkish too.

Offline perfey

• Stiletto in the sand
« Reply #3145 on: April 29, 2011, 03:53:41 PM »
Great choice by the band!  :tup

I followed this 3-part miniseries with great interest and didnt spoiled myself before I watched the last one, which was great due to the outcome. It was great to hear him say that he really wanted to get in the band, that + his playing of the songs made him my favourite!

Peter, you were great too and your insightful posts about the audition have been very nice to read. Ska bli kul att läsa din dagbok i vilket magasin det nu än släpps i :P

Zydar! Lol, I would have laughed of my chair if he had had that expression :rollin

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3146 on: April 29, 2011, 03:56:34 PM »
can RR please release MM playing one of the three songs in its entirety? PLEASE

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3147 on: April 29, 2011, 03:57:14 PM »
Considering the emphasis on the drummer's ability to jam (akin to being in a writing scenario), I think MM will have quite a bit of input in the writing of the album (and his drum parts).  They welcomed him as a member of the family, not an adopted brother.  I'm sure DT wanted a guy who could mesh well into their existing writing dynamic, as opposed to writing an album and say "play this".  

I agree.  But since they needed to keep his identity under wraps, I don't think they wanted him walking in and out of the studio every day.  The moment he got down there to record drum tracks, word that he was seen near the studio got on the internet.

He was there.  He was just careful about getting in and out.  And people did what they were supposed to and kept a lid on it.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3148 on: April 29, 2011, 03:59:01 PM »
Considering the emphasis on the drummer's ability to jam (akin to being in a writing scenario), I think MM will have quite a bit of input in the writing of the album (and his drum parts).  They welcomed him as a member of the family, not an adopted brother.  I'm sure DT wanted a guy who could mesh well into their existing writing dynamic, as opposed to writing an album and say "play this".  

I agree.  But since they needed to keep his identity under wraps, I don't think they wanted him walking in and out of the studio every day.  The moment he got down there to record drum tracks, word that he was seen near the studio got on the internet.

He was there.  He was just careful about getting in and out.  And people did what they were supposed to and kept a lid on it.

thats refreshing, so he did slip in and out unnoticed during the writing process?

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #3149 on: April 29, 2011, 03:59:24 PM »
Perhaps this has been mentioned before, but I'm hoping that some of the "jamming" material and the riffs from the auditions end up on the next DT album.  
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about