Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 661028 times)

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #2940 on: April 29, 2011, 10:27:09 AM »
there's still a nugget here..there where no part in the video that MM is with them in the studio..

not until there's a conflict in the tour dates of DT with MP..i can still smell Mike Portnoy is written in the leaflet..

and yes, and i'm sure..99% of us are devastated..

*my reply from MP forum..

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #2941 on: April 29, 2011, 10:27:21 AM »
Okay, so who's ready for the Friday forum theme?  :caffeine:
PLEASE DEAR GOD NO.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2942 on: April 29, 2011, 10:27:56 AM »
Okay, so who's ready for the Friday forum theme?  :caffeine:

I think it'd be sweet, but really confuse new visitors.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Aniland

« Reply #2943 on: April 29, 2011, 10:28:17 AM »
there's still a nugget here..there where no part in the video that MM is with them in the studio..

not until there's a conflict in the tour dates of DT with MP..i can still smell Mike Portnoy is written in the leaflet..

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline Tunnel Vision

« Reply #2944 on: April 29, 2011, 10:28:51 AM »
Congrats to Mr. Mangini!

Also, thank you very much Peter for all the insight you have given us. I have the utmost respect and admiration for you not only as a drummer and musician but also as a person! :)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2945 on: April 29, 2011, 10:29:23 AM »
Next mission: Get Mangini to join DTF!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2946 on: April 29, 2011, 10:30:04 AM »
I'm so happy to hear what JM said about how it's like the old days now. Maybe he wanted to be a bigger part of the writing process now... I remember a YouTube clip from the making of BC&SL where MP was acting kind of crazy in the studio. What we saw at the end in today's episode is such a huge contrast.

Offline clinks63

« Reply #2947 on: April 29, 2011, 10:30:15 AM »

What?

wishful thinking..i still can't believe that MP has been replaced..
Where's my welcome thread and 2012 DTF award for it:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=20154.0

"the third arrives..."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2948 on: April 29, 2011, 10:30:39 AM »
lol clinks

we don't love you anymore
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #2949 on: April 29, 2011, 10:33:01 AM »

What?

He wasn't "replaced". It was his choice to leave.

Offline Demolition

« Reply #2950 on: April 29, 2011, 10:34:11 AM »
I have to say I was truly impressed with all the drummers not only as musicians but also as people.  A special thanks to Peter for his great audition and for sharing with us his thoughts on this forum.  Congratulations to Mike Mangini.  Watching the videos helped me appreciate how deeply he wanted to be a member of this band and how much it meant to him to be chosen.  When someone at his skill level wants it so much, that had to be the deciding factor.  I was so touched by his reaction to the news of his being picked it brought a tear to my eye.  I also take from the video's how much more of a band effort this next album will be.  It seems like a giant weight has been lifted off of the shoulders of some of the guys and that they are so into the process again that it will be a new beginning.  I also want to thank DT for allowing us in to the process.  The only thing I'm sad about is there aren't any more video's to wait on the edge of my seat to view.

Offline clinks63

« Reply #2951 on: April 29, 2011, 10:36:40 AM »

What?

leave - replaced - new drummer - it's just wordings..i know it his choice..

again..it's my wishful thinking..i'm not against anybody..it is just i'm not happy..

anyway..it's still mike..and my choice as well..

congrats to mike..
Where's my welcome thread and 2012 DTF award for it:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=20154.0

"the third arrives..."

Offline Aquila Chrysaetos

« Reply #2952 on: April 29, 2011, 10:36:53 AM »
It's been said a few times but: CONGRATULATIONS MIKE MANGINI!!

Really stoked to see and hear how he's with the guys, best of luck to them!

I thought Peter was amazing as well, great drummer and really down to earth!

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2953 on: April 29, 2011, 10:38:29 AM »

What?

leave - replaced - new drummer - it's just wordings..i know it his choice..

again..it's my wishful thinking..i'm not against anybody..it is just i'm not happy..

anyway..it's still mike..and my choice as well..

congrats to mike..

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #2954 on: April 29, 2011, 10:41:49 AM »
lol clinks

we don't love you anymore

Or never did in the first place.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #2955 on: April 29, 2011, 10:43:23 AM »
First of all  congratulations to Mr. Mangini!!! I was equally eager to know who got it a few days ago so I mailed him and he's the cooles guy ever.  :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYBODY!!! Reading your comments are pure energy for my soul. I'm out eating dinner with my job here in Sweden but just wanted to say THANKS! I'll be back...

Cheers,
Peter

Peter,

It was great to watch your performance as well. You are a 1st class person. Really enjoyed your drumming as well on the Static Impulse album. Hope to hear more from you in the future.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2956 on: April 29, 2011, 10:47:08 AM »
Not sure if anyone will catch this stuff other than me and Lonestar, but I would be willing to bet that somebody who worked on this video is a Food Network fan.  The split screen and fadeout effect of the final 3 is right from Chopped.  Also, when they are deliberating and discussing the pros and cons of the guys, the percussion sound effects in the background (one cymbal wash where there are positive comments and a different cymbal wash for negative ones) are right out of Chopped and Iron Chef America.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline GandL

« Reply #2957 on: April 29, 2011, 10:48:54 AM »
Look at JM at 6:37, I think he really appreciated Peter.  :lol

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2958 on: April 29, 2011, 10:49:24 AM »
Most Online Today: 816. Most Online Ever: 827 (09 September 2010, 03:22:36)

So close...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2959 on: April 29, 2011, 10:50:40 AM »
Oh, before I forget, I also have to go on record as saying:  As I thought I would be, I was impressed with Priester's drumming and the band's reaction to him.  He obviously worked really hard to prepare, really wanted it badly, and really took it personally when he messed up.  I couldn't help but like him, root for him, and feel bad when he messed up.  Really special guy.  I will definitely want to follow him in the future.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #2960 on: April 29, 2011, 10:51:49 AM »
He's a very special drummer. I too felt really bad when he looked sad that he messed up! Genuine guy

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2961 on: April 29, 2011, 10:52:20 AM »
Oh, before I forget, I also have to go on record as saying:  As I thought I would be, I was impressed with Priester's drumming and the band's reaction to him.  He obviously worked really hard to prepare, really wanted it badly, and really took it personally when he messed up.  I couldn't help but like him, root for him, and feel bad when he messed up.  Really special guy.  I will definitely want to follow him in the future.

I strongly recommend you "Temple of Shadows" by Angra.

Amazing album, amazing drumming.  :tup
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #2962 on: April 29, 2011, 10:53:17 AM »
Most Online Today: 816. Most Online Ever: 827 (09 September 2010, 03:22:36)

So close...

Yeah. And it's already started to die off. Bit of a flash in the pan.

I can agree with that. A lot of his audition was very good. He was far better than I was expecting. His beat for the riff test was really underwhelming though. It seemed like he was playing just such a basic shuffle.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #2963 on: April 29, 2011, 10:53:51 AM »
I feel the same about Peter, except he didn't really mess up (as it seems) - I only knew him thanks to SI before, but really, his incredible audition made me feel even worse about him not being the new drummer, despite the fact Mangini is my favorite. Can't wait to see Peter in more projects in the future, hopefully including a few more solo albums from JLB.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2964 on: April 29, 2011, 10:54:10 AM »
Not sure if anyone will catch this stuff other than me and Lonestar, but I would be willing to bet that somebody who worked on this video is a Food Network fan.  The split screen and fadeout effect of the final 3 is right from Chopped.  Also, when they are deliberating and discussing the pros and cons of the guys, the percussion sound effects in the background (one cymbal wash where there are positive comments and a different cymbal wash for negative ones) are right out of Chopped and Iron Chef America.

Oh boy.... you and my GF would get along famously..... :rollin

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2965 on: April 29, 2011, 10:54:14 AM »
Oh, and I laughed hard at Jordan's "you did a fucking great job!" with Aquiles.

He sounds like angry or something, which of course he wasn't  :lol
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #2966 on: April 29, 2011, 10:54:44 AM »
I was positively surprised by Aquiles as well. He's obviously a really great drummer, and what bosk said is quite true, I think. Definitely a guy to remember.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline jsem

« Reply #2967 on: April 29, 2011, 10:54:51 AM »
 :facepalm: I will now remove clinks from my sig...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2968 on: April 29, 2011, 10:55:10 AM »

I felt the same bosk.  You get invested when you get attached in any way like meeting the person or him corresponding online.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2969 on: April 29, 2011, 10:55:38 AM »

Oh boy.... you and my GF would get along famously..... :rollin

I work where the sound gets done for chopped.  I assure you they didn't also work on this documentary
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Dream_Theater01

« Reply #2970 on: April 29, 2011, 10:57:56 AM »
Can someone please post a link to the video, other than Youtube?  I'm at school and I don't have access to Youtube!

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #2971 on: April 29, 2011, 10:58:10 AM »

I felt the same bosk.  You get invested when you get attached in any way like meeting the person or him corresponding online.

Yes, Aquiles Priester is a very good drummer. Also, congrats to Mangini, now I will wait for the album to come out to hear what he has done on the drums.

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #2972 on: April 29, 2011, 10:59:00 AM »
Peter Wildoer surprised the heck out of me.  What an amazing drummer.  Totally going to follow his work more then I have been.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #2973 on: April 29, 2011, 10:59:37 AM »
Can someone please post a link to the video, other than Youtube?  I'm at school and I don't have access to Youtube!

It's only available via RR's YouTube right now.  Sorry dude.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline Dream_Theater01

« Reply #2974 on: April 29, 2011, 11:00:21 AM »

It's only available via RR's YouTube right now.  Sorry dude.

Ah!  Ok, man...thanks!  I'll check it out tonight.  How long is the video?