Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 664719 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #2555 on: April 28, 2011, 11:19:34 PM »
Can't wait to see the final part of this, not only is the drummer finally going to be revealed, but I've been a lot more excited to see Priester and Peter than Lang, Donati, and Roddy. Class will be going by at a snail's pace for sure.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2556 on: April 28, 2011, 11:19:39 PM »
Just 10 hours to episode three! Can't wait!!!

I've been very busy and with the speed this thread is moving it's hard to keep track. Anyway I simply loved episode two. To watch these amazing drummers is soo inspiring. Virgil sounded amazing on the jam test, he really nailed those odd meters and made them sound flawless. Then again JR just said "you eat this for lunch"  :lol So very true!!!

Be back soon.

Cheers
Peter
Thank you Peter, and welcome back! Everybody here is looking forward to your audition  :) Hope we'll see you around here tomorrow.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2557 on: April 28, 2011, 11:30:56 PM »
What's everybody's favorite bit of the videos so far? Mine is definitely Lang's jam test. He's amazing.

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #2558 on: April 28, 2011, 11:32:51 PM »
What's everybody's favorite bit of the videos so far? Mine is definitely Lang's jam test. He's amazing.

Mine's when JR hits the "Does this hurt you?" sample and JP says, "What's that?" :lol
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #2559 on: April 28, 2011, 11:34:35 PM »
Marco Playing the spirit carries on. Although I would have loved to see him play tDOE. He seemed to have had an elaborate understanding of the piece, as seen in episode 1 where he goes through his written transcript of the drum parts.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #2560 on: April 28, 2011, 11:36:41 PM »
I'm definitely looking forward to Peter's audition! Once again, thank you very much for posting and answering all our questions, Peter. Your patience has been quite appreciated   :D

So far I love what little's been shown of Mangini playing TDoE.  :metal

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #2561 on: April 28, 2011, 11:41:29 PM »
Langs and Donati's playing of the riffs!

Offline j

« Reply #2562 on: April 28, 2011, 11:43:19 PM »

I probably agree, although I've been blown away by all these guys.

https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74093&page=1

Derek Roddy posted a bit in this thread. More positive comments, but they were before his clip was released.

Interesting stuff.  Roddy seems like a cool dude.  Some of his comments make me really curious to see any additional footage that may be released in the future.

-J

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #2563 on: April 28, 2011, 11:51:23 PM »
Just watched both parts again, I'm thinking it would be cool if some of the guys were able to form friendships enough to do jams outside of DT with some of these drummers. You could pick any three guys, put them in a room for a few hours and whatever noises they made I would buy.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #2564 on: April 28, 2011, 11:55:01 PM »

I especially like - like many others - the riff at 8:33. I wonder who came up with that. Also, I really love MiMa's "three, four, FIIIVE! WAAAAH!" during TDOE. :lol

Edit: This has probably been said before, but I'd like to point out something in the interview with the director of the documentary:

Fans have been waiting for a while now to find out who Dream Theater’s new drummer. Were you afraid of there being any backlash from fans upset with how the trailer and episodes extend the suspense?

Yes, this has been a huge issue that the label and the band wrestled with.  The band really wanted to let people know right away, but soon after the filming was complete there was a lot of interest by television networks to air this documentary.  So due to a potential broadcast deal it was delayed and so was the announcement.  Regardless of that, after seeing the first few cuts of the movie, I think the band realized that this would be the best way to announce everything to the fans.  They were so genuine about how much they wanted to introduce their fans to the new drummer and I know they felt terrible that they kept it from them for so long.

I think there we have at least part of the reason why it all took so long.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline psychdoc

« Reply #2565 on: April 29, 2011, 12:28:23 AM »
Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #2566 on: April 29, 2011, 12:30:13 AM »
Thanks for the welcome, everyone.
:tup

Offline Blazinarps

« Reply #2567 on: April 29, 2011, 12:37:13 AM »
Peter,  could you tell us a little bit about the way you prepared for the audition? Did you know exactly what the auditions were going to be like? You obviously knew what songs were going to play, how did you go about learning them? We see that Marco made time signature charts, did you do any of that? What was the hardest section to learn? Did you discuss the drum parts with the other drummers that were auditioning? Too many questions I'm sure, but I would love to know these things!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2568 on: April 29, 2011, 12:47:47 AM »

Mangini's one-handed snare intro to TDOE while twirling a stick with the other hand :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2569 on: April 29, 2011, 12:54:15 AM »

Mangini's one-handed snare intro to TDOE while twirling a stick with the other hand :lol

Same here  :lol
That mofo is crazy, I like his vibe a lot.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #2570 on: April 29, 2011, 01:19:42 AM »

Me three. Mangini's the man.  :metal And for those who have said that Mangini seems too gay or weird, you must have an ancient sense of masculinity. Nothing wrong with expressing one's feelings, especially when it comes out like that.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2571 on: April 29, 2011, 01:58:53 AM »

Actually I change mine to this!

Offline Ħ

« Reply #2572 on: April 29, 2011, 01:59:23 AM »

Me three. Mangini's the man.  :metal And for those who have said that Mangini seems too gay or weird, you must have an ancient sense of masculinity. Nothing wrong with expressing one's feelings, especially when it comes out like that.
Wait, who said that?
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline tedy

« Reply #2573 on: April 29, 2011, 02:03:09 AM »
Can´t wait for the final part,
Peter and Aquiles will be good I´m sure  :metal

Offline Vlasto

• The DAY is nigh...
  • DT.net Veteran
  • John,14-6
« Reply #2574 on: April 29, 2011, 02:04:36 AM »
Langs and Donati's playing of the riffs!
+ Thomas playing TDoE and Marco's jaming started with laughter ...
... Marco playing the riff is also great.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2575 on: April 29, 2011, 02:05:06 AM »
7 hours! :metal

Offline Vlasto

• The DAY is nigh...
  • DT.net Veteran
  • John,14-6
« Reply #2576 on: April 29, 2011, 02:12:32 AM »
7 hours! :metal
and I can't concentrate at work... :blush

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #2577 on: April 29, 2011, 02:13:17 AM »
Peter,  could you tell us a little bit about the way you prepared for the audition? Did you know exactly what the auditions were going to be like? You obviously knew what songs were going to play, how did you go about learning them? We see that Marco made time signature charts, did you do any of that? What was the hardest section to learn? Did you discuss the drum parts with the other drummers that were auditioning? Too many questions I'm sure, but I would love to know these things!

I only got the three songs that we had to learn, besides all the technical info like flight times, audition time, drum gear available etc. I totally realized that we had to do some kind of test where the guys would throw ideas at us and then see what we did since that's the way they work composing in the studio together.

Thinking back at it now I guess I felt kind of left in the dark. My main preparation was to know the songs in and out so even if I would be nervous at the actual audition my muscle memory would play it for me. Also I practiced every day ta make sure I was in top shape of course. All this is quite precisely documented in the "diary" I've written that I will post asap. Still working on that translation from swedish to english.

The whole learning process of the songs felt a bit overwhelming in the beginning but you just have to learn bit by bit and then listen A LOT to the songs to get to know them. I also imported the songs into Cubase (music program for computer) where I could loop the different riff and practice one part over and over. For The Dance of Eternity that was lots of work programming all the different meters but the hardest part was that the tempo is changing a lot as I think most DT material is not recorded to a click track. Here's two screen shots from the Cubase session with meters on top (all the black lines with numbers) and the timeline (tempo changes up and down) underneath.

Like I previously posted I borrowed som DT guitar score/tab book from a friend and there I had all the music written out. This was crucial help for me as I like to read music.

I can't say what part was the hardest but for me the actual drum parts was not overly hard to play but to memorize, THAT was the hard part. There are not to many difficult coordination stuff or overly difficult stickings involved but just a lot to learn.

I did not discuss any drum parts with other drummers.

Need to go!

SEVEN HOURS!!!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 07:19:35 AM by bösk1 »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2578 on: April 29, 2011, 02:23:36 AM »
Thanks again for yet more insight Peter, and I completely agree with you about how exciting it is! :D

Have to say, I'm baffled as to why anyone (including Roddy) would think that any of the drummers have come off badly here. From all of the "weaker" candidates they've still rocked, there's just been one or two elements that make it clear they'd be a less good fit for DT. But then maybe I'm just not cynical enough to think that means they look bad!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline EdenHazard

• INVENTORY!
« Reply #2579 on: April 29, 2011, 02:24:29 AM »
(SORRY! How do I insert an image?!?! I pressed the "insert image" button but...? I have them on my hard drive (Mac). Any help appreciated!)
Just upload the images at imageshack.us or a different hosting site and instert the link into the box. :)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #2580 on: April 29, 2011, 02:30:50 AM »
per Mike Leonard, plans are to release the audition DVD with the album this summer . . .

. . . .um, new album this summer?  sweet balls of joy, that's  much sooner than antipated.

Offline Silent Man

« Reply #2581 on: April 29, 2011, 02:36:45 AM »
Hi, I'm Poul, living in Denmark. I've been a DT fan since I&W came out (I'm 60). MP's exit was a shock to me - he was somehow the center of DT. When I play their songs in my head (I'm sure you know what I mean), his drum parts are always dominant.

...anyway, I registered to offer my valuable opnion  :hefdaddy about the documentary so far.

Marco: he topped it. His artistery (sp?) is made for DT. On a hasty audition, he revealed incredible new tricks and a BIG promise about what he could do with them in the future. I really, really hope they picked him. The guy stands out, he's INCREDIBLE.

Lang: my next man. Some of what I saw showed a very fluent stylish drumming, he impressed me and I guess he'll grow a lot if gets the job. He didn't use a lot of effort to play his parts - which for me is a sign of a true drummer (like MP, he always looks relaxed).

Mangini: he 'nailed' it - but looked too tense. I understand he burns for the job, but he'll have to relax a little if he wants to really follow the groove.

Roddy: he won't get it. He showed amazing speed, nothing else. BUT: it didn't help that they recorded him terribly - compared to the others. You could barely hear the rest of the band, and that made his playing sound harsh and noisy.

I know, they all had a minimum of chance to do their best on an audition like that. Things could change for each of them if they got a chance to play with the band for a longer time. But as it was like this, we can only compare for now.

Looking forward for the third part!

Poul

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #2582 on: April 29, 2011, 02:47:48 AM »
Welcome Poul, thanks for your insightful analysis and opinion.

My impression is that Marco is a unique player with much gusto, but his playing simply looked too goofy.  Am I the only one who cracked up at his body motions?  Not that it is a bad thing, he has a pure fun energy.

Offline Silent Man

« Reply #2583 on: April 29, 2011, 03:03:43 AM »
Welcome Poul, thanks for your insightful analysis and opinion.

My impression is that Marco is a unique player with much gusto, but his playing simply looked too goofy.  Am I the only one who cracked up at his body motions?  Not that it is a bad thing, he has a pure fun energy.

Thanks RTK  :biggrin: - I know what you mean about his movements - he seems to have an awkward style, not too relaxed - notice his shoulders, they are pulled up and maybe they'll give him cramps when he gets older). But what comes out of it is nothing but amazing!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2584 on: April 29, 2011, 03:10:39 AM »
Just watched part two again. Virgil was incredible during the riff test, there was some cool vibe going on. However, I'm not too sure about his interpretation of the three songs, even though we've only heard like 30 seconds overall. That drum fill at the beginning of A Nightmare to remember was cool, but definitely not Dream Theater.

And the man's voice is amazing.  :biggrin:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2585 on: April 29, 2011, 03:14:25 AM »
Yeah Donati has been my favourite at the riff test so far, really just an awesome groove he had going on there. But he wasn't very strong at the existing songs, unfortunately.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Silent Man

« Reply #2586 on: April 29, 2011, 03:39:00 AM »
Oh yes - forgot to mention Donati. He's a cool guy with a lot of skills - and like he stated after the audition, he was calm and relaxed throughout. He's a session drummer and even skilled as he is, will do the DT stuff like any other session. I really don't think he'll try to adapt too much to the *DT sound* - just play like he used to. And the grip on the left stick doesn't help. AFAIK, this grip was originally adopted from walking march drummers (the drum hangs tilted in a strap) and is not really effective when sitting at a drumkit. I repeat, he IS skilled - just not a style that fits to DT. IMO of course  ;)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #2587 on: April 29, 2011, 03:44:08 AM »
Basically, it's going to be epic.

:lhk:
too bad not everybody listens to Neal Morse  :lol
I do! :)
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2588 on: April 29, 2011, 03:59:06 AM »
I assume they're going to announce the drummer in the last part today. I'm working all day today so one of you better text me with who it is!

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #2589 on: April 29, 2011, 04:00:23 AM »
I assume they're going to announce the drummer in the last part today. I'm working all day today so one of you better text me with who it is!

I'll do it, if it's fine with you. :)
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.