Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 667719 times)

Offline tedy

Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #2310 on: April 28, 2011, 09:50:18 AM »

Derek Roddy:
"Another thing that needs to be considered in my case is.....
I auditioned for DT because I was asked.......not because I wanted to be the new DT drummer."

Then mr. Roddy, you shouldn´t audition.
Drummer that wanted badly to be in the band is now with them  :hefdaddy

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2311 on: April 28, 2011, 09:54:10 AM »
He answered this and, honestly, it's a valid response.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2312 on: April 28, 2011, 09:56:49 AM »
He answered this and, honestly, it's a valid response.

What was the response?  (I can't view his forum right now.)

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #2313 on: April 28, 2011, 09:58:00 AM »
He said it was the "professional" thing to do.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2314 on: April 28, 2011, 09:58:27 AM »

Derek Roddy:
I auditioned for DT because I was asked.......not because I wanted to be the new DT drummer."

Drummer that wanted badly to be in the band is now with them  :hefdaddy

Yeah, I tend to agree.  In his defense, he also pointed out that when you are a professional musician, you don't want to get a reputation for turning down auditions because there comes a point where you won't be asked anymore.  I get that, and I completely understand where he is coming from on that.  But by the same token, I would think that if you truly aren't interested, you do more harm to your reputation by showing up for something on someone else's dime and not being committed enough to really want it.  But I could be wrong.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JPX

« Reply #2315 on: April 28, 2011, 10:01:30 AM »
If he truely didn't want the position I would have thought the professional thing to do would be not to waste their time.
This is unfortunate because he comes across as a really nice guy on the video. But you have to think he did this for exposure/recognition.

Offline Frank

« Reply #2316 on: April 28, 2011, 10:03:02 AM »
I agree. It was a bit strange to me that he admits he didn't really care about it while at the same time spelling out his reasons to try to protect his reputation - seemed like a double-edged sword of a post. Of course, the "professional" music and business is not something I'm familiar with.
Ahh, I hit the home button!
- Jordan Rudess

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #2317 on: April 28, 2011, 10:05:38 AM »
and surely DT would respect his privacy if he had turned them down. But you know what? what a great opportunity to jam with the best prog rock/metal musicians in the world... accommodation and transport paid! + free exposure.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2318 on: April 28, 2011, 10:09:05 AM »
I have to say, Roddy seems unusually bitter about the whole thing, which is a shame as he comes across really well in the video.

Also, the other guys all do other projects so I very much doubt his comment about "100% DT all the time" is actually true, it was probably more a "you can do other stuff but DT will need to take priority" which he obviously wasn't happy with.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2319 on: April 28, 2011, 10:11:02 AM »
I can see truth in both statements. Sure, he plain flunked the audition the way it looked. But, I can also see how DT asked the involved parties and that several of them simply showed up because a) they were asked nicely and b) they were considering the option seriously enough to be foolish to let a good opportunity pass by.
It seems Mangini was the only one who really wanted to part of a band outfit, whereas the others might have said "you know, I will be in the band, but you can't completely deny my other aspects either". And to take JP's comment in the first episode, "the new drummer needs to be an undeniable person". Meaning, the drummer can't be seen doing stuff outside DT.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2320 on: April 28, 2011, 10:12:46 AM »
This thread moves so fast, no one will ever read this post!

:tick2:

I just did and I'm wondering why?
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline TheReaper

« Reply #2321 on: April 28, 2011, 10:13:07 AM »
I feel like Mangini is too much like Portnoy in a way, and won't add a new dimension to the band whereas Minnemann could.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2322 on: April 28, 2011, 10:13:55 AM »
I can see truth in both statements. Sure, he plain flunked the audition the way it looked. But, I can also see how DT asked the involved parties and that several of them simply showed up because a) they were asked nicely and b) they were considering the option seriously enough to be foolish to let a good opportunity pass by.
It seems Mangini was the only one who really wanted to part of a band outfit, whereas the others might have said "you know, I will be in the band, but you can't completely deny my other aspects either". And to take JP's comment in the first episode, "the new drummer needs to be an undeniable person". Meaning, the drummer can't be seen doing stuff outside DT.

rumborak

Yeah that's one thing I don't get - Roddy is implying that the vid makes it look like Marco and Thomas really wanted the position, but that goes against what pretty much all of us are saying, that Mike was the only one really keen on it. So I really don't know what he is going on about.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #2323 on: April 28, 2011, 10:15:25 AM »
I feel like Mangini is too much like Portnoy in a way, and won't add a new dimension to the band whereas Minnemann could.

I wholeheartedly disagree with your statement.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2324 on: April 28, 2011, 10:15:34 AM »

That is my exact same feeling actually.

Ninja'd disagreement! :lol

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline vindrums

« Reply #2325 on: April 28, 2011, 10:16:50 AM »

Yeah, I tend to agree.  In his defense, he also pointed out that when you are a professional musician, you don't want to get a reputation for turning down auditions because there comes a point where you won't be asked anymore.  I get that, and I completely understand where he is coming from on that.  But by the same token, I would think that if you truly aren't interested, you do more harm to your reputation by showing up for something on someone else's dime and not being committed enough to really want it.  But I could be wrong.
[/quote]

Greetings everyone.  First post...long time observer.

Let me just say that this comment about turning down auditions is complete and utter crap!!!
I have been a working musician for the past 10+ years.  There is NOTHING wrong with turning down an audition you don't feel you would be able to commit to if you were to actually got the job.  I do it all the time.  In fact, most potential employers would prefer you were honest about your availability upfront instead of leading them on....I'm sure if D Roddy went into the audition and blew the band away he would be singing a far different tune today.
This is simply a case of realizing(after the fact), that you were a bad fit for a musical situation and trying to justify it publicly.
There is no doubt that D Roddy is an exceptional drummer...just not for Dream Theater.  

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #2326 on: April 28, 2011, 10:18:44 AM »

That is my exact same feeling actually.

Ninja'd disagreement! :lol

rumborak

:lol

Offline zebolasha

« Reply #2327 on: April 28, 2011, 10:27:42 AM »
Hi, guys
Watching episode 2, I noticed that this video didn't show the real appreciation of the band to Marco Minneman, considering the previous videos.
Let me share my small investigation with you which shows who is probably the new drummer https://sem-bolasha.livejournal.com/811.html

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2328 on: April 28, 2011, 10:29:06 AM »

Derek Roddy:

I don't really like Dream Theater that much, but I had some drumsticks and some snakes, so what the fuck?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2329 on: April 28, 2011, 10:32:04 AM »
Hi, guys
Watching episode 2, I noticed that this video didn't show the real appreciation of the band to Marco Minneman, considering the previous videos.
Let me share my small investigation with you which shows who is probably the new drummer https://sem-bolasha.livejournal.com/811.html

As I said in the other thread, yeah, we've already discussed all that.  Yes, at least some of the things you pointed out were definitely said about Minneman.  However, that does not mean he is the new drummer.

But in any case, good work compiling all that.  Nice to have the specific clips from the videos.  Thanks for posting it.  :tup
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2330 on: April 28, 2011, 10:32:21 AM »
@SuperDude:  :lol

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #2331 on: April 28, 2011, 10:33:37 AM »

Greetings everyone.  First post...long time observer.

Let me just say that this comment about turning down auditions is complete and utter crap!!!
I have been a working musician for the past 10+ years.  There is NOTHING wrong with turning down an audition you don't feel you would be able to commit to if you were to actually got the job.  I do it all the time.  In fact, most potential employers would prefer you were honest about your availability upfront instead of leading them on....I'm sure if D Roddy went into the audition and blew the band away he would be singing a far different tune today.
This is simply a case of realizing(after the fact), that you were a bad fit for a musical situation and trying to justify it publicly.
There is no doubt that D Roddy is an exceptional drummer...just not for Dream Theater.  

yeah, that's true.

but i think bosk meant more along the lines of doing it SO often that people won't even ask you, because they just assume you're going to say no.

There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline tumbok

« Reply #2332 on: April 28, 2011, 10:33:53 AM »
LoL

Offline tedy

« Reply #2333 on: April 28, 2011, 10:35:13 AM »

Derek Roddy:

I don't really like Dream Theater that much, but I had some drumsticks and some snakes, so what the fuck?
  :lol  :lol  :rollin  :rollin

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2334 on: April 28, 2011, 10:38:11 AM »
Not too long after MP left, JP did an interview where he was asked "What did you learn over the past year?"  His response?  Something along the lines of "Don't let your drummer play for another band."  Maybe he wasn't joking.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #2335 on: April 28, 2011, 10:41:31 AM »
Hi, guys
Interesting man. Thanks for sharing. Yeah the omitted scenes of marco have been noticed and discussed. I definitely agree that Minnemann would have been a great part of the DT team, and of course we aren't 100% certain that he can be ruled out. Hopefully Marco will connect with members of the DT gang in the future, because the chemistry was amazing.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2336 on: April 28, 2011, 10:46:55 AM »
I find it interesting and somewhat... I dunno... dismaying that a whole seedy underbelly to this whole thing is starting to bubble up.

- Maybe they really did go to Minnemann first and he turned it down because he didn't want to commit to the lifestyle of the group.  If it happened, will it be put out there?
 - Something's up with the editing decisions when the drummers are trading stories of their discontent with them.  It's one thing to say "Eh, they didn't capture everything but they more or less got the point."  It's another to feel you were fundamentally misrepresented.
 - The not doing side projects thing isn't really that unbelievable, and more than a little lame.
 - Are we really sure that Minnemann Facebook post wasn't legit?

Inevitably someone will say "Derek Roddy just feels sore about the whole thing."  Which I guess isn't untrue, but if he's right he's right.
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2337 on: April 28, 2011, 10:48:31 AM »
Reap, have you actually read Roddy's posts?  The most pertinent ones are posted in the "what we know" thread. 

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2338 on: April 28, 2011, 10:56:29 AM »
Reap, have you actually read Roddy's posts?  The most pertinent ones are posted in the "what we know" thread. 

M?

- Maybe they really did go to Minnemann first and he turned it down because he didn't want to commit to the lifestyle of the group.  If it happened, will it be put out there?

In fairness, this one's pretty unlikely.  I read again, and it seemed like Roddy was saying Minnemann would have turned it down if he was asked.  So I guess there's good reason to believe he wasn't.

Quote from: Me
- Something's up with the editing decisions when the drummers are trading stories of their discontent with them.  It's one thing to say "Eh, they didn't capture everything but they more or less got the point."  It's another to feel you were fundamentally misrepresented.

Quote from: Derek Roddy
some of the other drummers are pissed at the way they were presented in this Doc.....for example you got the feeling that Marco and Thomas WANTED that gig.....I know that they might have taken it but, they weren't going to cry over not getting it.

Quote from: Me
- The not doing side projects thing isn't really that unbelievable, and more than a little lame.

Quote from: Derek Roddy
In fact, one of them told me that it would destroy everything they loved about what they are doing with music. They couldn't do outside projects, HAD TO be there for DT 100% of the time, etc

- Are we really sure that Minnemann Facebook post wasn't legit?

Given some of the hard feelings Derek's talking about, why are we so willing to believe Marco didn't actually write the post?
Over and over again

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #2339 on: April 28, 2011, 10:58:55 AM »
I'm missing something: what MM post are we referring to here?
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline JPX

« Reply #2340 on: April 28, 2011, 11:00:18 AM »

I see what you did there... :tup

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2341 on: April 28, 2011, 11:01:11 AM »
I'm missing something: what MM post are we referring to here?

hi, no I'm not DTs drummer:-). But I did work with Jordan on the "musical mind meld", and we have plans for a trio project with John P and Jordan together. And I'm sorry I ended up being unwillingly dragged into these imo silly soap opera DT episodes, haha. I really didn't want that and wasn't asked for approval. Love to all of ya:-)
Over and over again

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #2342 on: April 28, 2011, 11:01:45 AM »
I find it interesting and somewhat... I dunno... dismaying that a whole seedy underbelly to this whole thing is starting to bubble up.
this.

I feel like Mangini is very much like Portnoy in the way that they both (from what I've seen of Mangini) have very large personalities. The difference, I find, is that Mangini's personality will substitute for Portnoy's (which would create a measure of comfort for the rest of the group, since they're used to having Portnoy around) without adding the whole "OCD and controlling everything about the group" that we've seen from Portnoy.

That way, the group will have an excellent new drummer, reminiscent of the old one, creatively different and without some of the faults that Portnoy had (if you're reading this Portnoy, you're still the best  :metal)

That's my two cents. Hopefully it made sense :neverusethis:

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2343 on: April 28, 2011, 11:02:15 AM »
When did this turn negative? Am I missing something?

I didn't get that feeling at all, obviously they wanted to be there. And yes Roddy got screwed by the sound, but he was still pretty good.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2344 on: April 28, 2011, 11:06:38 AM »
Not too long after MP left, JP did an interview where he was asked "What did you learn over the past year?"  His response?  Something along the lines of "Don't let your drummer play for another band."  Maybe he wasn't joking.

I doubt JP and the band are gonna pull a James Hetfield and demand that their new drummer not participate in any side projects, considering they all have their own, but I imagine they would insist that any side project be just that: a side project and not a gig that is too time-consuming.