Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 669734 times)

Offline JPX

Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #1925 on: April 27, 2011, 11:21:32 AM »
A while back there was speculation of Marco not wanting to commit to DT's schedule for family reasons. Do you think there could be a twist in the tale where they chose him then he turns it down?
I only say this because the band/management might not have gone into specifics prior to auditions.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1926 on: April 27, 2011, 11:22:19 AM »
Yeah that's who the other person is in "Minnemann is the only other one".

I agree that if that quote about "being Dream Theater" is for one of the people already auditioned, it will probably show you that just before or after they decide in the third episode. They might show that other quote for Minnemann too (presuming it was for him).

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1927 on: April 27, 2011, 11:23:01 AM »
I don't really care that much who they choose and I have no idea why I even watched these vids, but Mike Mangini seems like a cool guy.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1928 on: April 27, 2011, 11:23:19 AM »
Not to mention all that lead-up with him saying "This isn't a gig to me" etc. The audition time was pretty similar, but there were all these extras, like DT wants you to get to know him.

It could also be that since it's the first audition, there might be a certain need to introduce the public to the whole process. Might also be some bad time management from the editors' part, who knows?
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1929 on: April 27, 2011, 11:24:09 AM »
So far only Mangini has played the opening fill of Nightmare correctly. And so far, even though I appreciate the
talent level of all the 'world class drummers' nobody is close to being on the same level as MP. That's my opinion
only and I'm sure many of you will disagree. Mike has a 'coolness' factor and a fluid style to his playing that made
very complicated things seems effortless...and while doing it, pointing at the audience, playing catch with sticks.
The more I watch the vids the more I realize how elite MP really is. He damn sure deserved every award he ever
won.

You're comparing the person who wrote the parts and has toured extensively with the band, playing these songs on a regular basis, with people who are playing them with the band for the first time ever.  Plus, they're in a studio playing to a few guys, instead of on a stage playing to thousands.

I think Mangini, at least, has definitely shown himself to be quite a showman.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1930 on: April 27, 2011, 11:24:37 AM »
Don't look into the editing too much.  Just go by off of what you see the drummers play and what you hear out of the mouth of the guys.  Everything else is easily manipulated.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1931 on: April 27, 2011, 11:25:48 AM »
A while back there was speculation of Marco not wanting to commit to DT's schedule for family reasons. Do you think there could be a twist in the tale where they chose him then he turns it down?
I only say this because the band/management might not have gone into specifics prior to auditions.
I was actually wondering this....but it might look really bad, for Dream Theater, Minnemann, and Mangini.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Aniland

« Reply #1932 on: April 27, 2011, 11:26:31 AM »
I think it would look extremely bad for whoever then got chosen 2nd. I mean, they'd know that they weren't DT's first pick.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1933 on: April 27, 2011, 11:27:07 AM »
So far only Mangini has played the opening fill of Nightmare correctly.

Good point.

"Correctly" is a really dumb thing to say when talking about a new drummer. They need to add their own style.

(I don't care if JR said it isn't what they're looking for... it's better for them musically.)
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1934 on: April 27, 2011, 11:27:49 AM »
I think it would look extremely bad for whoever then got chosen 2nd. I mean, they'd know that they weren't DT's first pick.

I agree. While I haven't seen anything to even suggest that DT picked someone and then settled for someone else, if that were somehow the case, they wouldn't make mention of it on the documentary.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1935 on: April 27, 2011, 11:28:59 AM »
Don't look into the editing too much.  Just go by off of what you see the drummers play and what you hear out of the mouth of the guys.

In the days of Scripted Reality, even something basic like this shouldn't be taken for granted. :lol But yeah, in the end, it should come down to this.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #1936 on: April 27, 2011, 11:29:07 AM »
Yep. I feel like that's something that'd be kept under wraps for at least a few years into the future.

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1937 on: April 27, 2011, 11:29:30 AM »
Guys, new album title and artwork announced! :neverusethis:

Isn't that MP in the back with the dark sunglasses on?  :o

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1938 on: April 27, 2011, 11:30:13 AM »
Don't look into the editing too much.  Just go by off of what you see the drummers play and what you hear out of the mouth of the guys.  Everything else is easily manipulated.

Exactly.  My take so far on the video series:  I think there is definitely some intentional misdirection to keep us guessing.  But at the same time, I also think it is becoming fairly obvious who the final choice is.  And that's fine.  Aside from generating interest and buzz, which it is clearly doing, the video series has at least two other primary purposes that I think it is fullfilling very well with regard to the new drummer:

1.  Getting the fans to understand enough about the process and the qualities of ALL the auditionees that even if they disagree with the final choice, they will understand why the band felt justified in making the decision they made.  AND...

2.  Allowing the fans to get to know the new drummer and seeing him portrayed in a very positive light, not only as an individual drummer, but as a part of the band.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #1939 on: April 27, 2011, 11:32:53 AM »
Not to mention all that lead-up with him saying "This isn't a gig to me" etc. The audition time was pretty similar, but there were all these extras, like DT wants you to get to know him.

It could also be that since it's the first audition, there might be a certain need to introduce the public to the whole process. Might also be some bad time management from the editors' part, who knows?

I suppose. It also helps that Mangini was the closest guy, being from Boston, to DT. It's not like the crew's gonna fly to Austria, Germany, Brazil, or wherever to capture the other guys. Wildoer said earlier that the crew didn't even catch up with him until near the start of auditions, and obviously at that point nobody knew who was going to win out.

Still don't see the whole "It's more than a gig" quote going on there without Mangini being the guy unless the editors made a really bad choice. I mean, it almost makes it bittersweet if he doesn't win, that the guy who "wanted it more" (to used my most hated sports cliche) didn't get it. Like, the others all seem to downplay it after their auditions, saying "It was cool, no regrets," etc. The way this is edited makes Mangini the guy people naturally pull for. A twist ending would be cool, but these aren't characters or reality show freaks--these are real experts vying for a career, you know? It would be weird to pull the rug out that way. But I guess Part 3 will reveal it all, and whatever it doesn't reveal, we'll hound Wildoer about until it's revealed   ;D.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1940 on: April 27, 2011, 11:33:06 AM »

Exactly.  My take so far on the video series:  I think there is definitely some intentional misdirection to keep us guessing.  But at the same time, I also think it is becoming fairly obvious who the final choice is.  And that's fine.  Aside from generating interest and buzz, which it is clearly doing, the video series has at least two other primary purposes that I think it is fullfilling very well with regard to the new drummer:

1.  Getting the fans to understand enough about the process and the qualities of ALL the auditionees that even if they disagree with the final choice, they will understand why the band felt justified in making the decision they made.  AND...

2.  Allowing the fans to get to know the new drummer and seeing him portrayed in a very positive light, not only as an individual drummer, but as a part of the band.

I think your first point is the biggest one and certainly, from the posts on DTF, is turning out to be a great move on the part of the band and management.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1941 on: April 27, 2011, 11:33:45 AM »

I agree. While I haven't seen anything to even suggest that DT picked someone and then settled for someone else, if that were somehow the case, they wouldn't make mention of it on the documentary.

Not necessarily.  Let's assume for a minute that they actually chose Marco and that Mike was their close second choice, that Marco turned them down or it somehow otherwise fell through, and they ultimately went with Mike as a result.  I'm NOT saying that's what happened, but let's assume for argument's sake that that is what happened.  If so, it WILL eventually come out.  Stuff like that doesn't stay behind closed doors forever.  If that's the case, they will be smart to portray the situation from the getgo that it was a VERY close decision between two immensely talented guys, and they made a very tough, subjective decision to make the first offer to a guy who ultimately did not end up being the one in the band.  By portraying it that way, they are doing damage control and taking control of how the story ultimately gets presented and being able to show that they didn't "settle" at all.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #1942 on: April 27, 2011, 11:35:09 AM »
ahhhhhhh I just realised at 16:50 that song they play is from Minnemanns instructional dvd o__0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4w0fZwyyOE

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #1943 on: April 27, 2011, 11:35:55 AM »
So far only Mangini has played the opening fill of Nightmare correctly. And so far, even though I appreciate the
talent level of all the 'world class drummers' nobody is close to being on the same level as MP. That's my opinion
only and I'm sure many of you will disagree. Mike has a 'coolness' factor and a fluid style to his playing that made
very complicated things seems effortless...and while doing it, pointing at the audience, playing catch with sticks.
The more I watch the vids the more I realize how elite MP really is. He damn sure deserved every award he ever
won.

i couldn't agree with this more. I'm def going to miss MP but at the same I'm hooked on Mangini.
He has a great personality and nailed EVERYTHING. While the other guys had parts that blew me away, they did struggle on a few things and didn't connect with DT like Mangini did.
All fantastic drummers and I'm really happy about this documentary. It's a great way to show some of these talented people even if they don't get the position in DT. :corn

Offline LTE3

« Reply #1944 on: April 27, 2011, 11:39:17 AM »
Marco, may be a little more creative then Mike M. Jordan seemed to get off on him talking about about how he made him smile. I thought Ruddy would have had a better go of it. Once he said to the guys he likes to work on things for a while he was dead in the water. Marco appeared to have that creative spark and killer chops. Then again Mike M is/was already much more of an insider with the guys.
I may change my mind after seeing him, but I hope it is not  Priester based on his corny use of gloves. To me it makes him look like she should be playing for Great White in 1987.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1945 on: April 27, 2011, 11:40:19 AM »
"Correctly" is a really dumb thing to say when talking about a new drummer. They need to add their own style.

(I don't care if JR said it isn't what they're looking for... it's better for them musically.)

Oh boy.

Yeah, there is a correct way to play it.  Mike Portnoy wrote a drum part the drummer is expected to know.  If you change the part and the band doesn't like it, you did it wrong.  Why do they "need" to add their own style?

And how is this necessarily better for them musically?  And why do you seem to know more about what's good for them musically than they do?

It's not even like I completely disagree with you.  It feels like a bigger part of what the band's looking for than I'd like is simply the drummer's ability to imitate Portnoy.  And yet here's what I can't deny:  So far, Mangini's the only one of these guys I'd be comfortable with if I saw them live.  Roddy and Donati just didn't get it.  I don't personally like Minneman's energy in the context of the band, and something seemed missing from Lang (which is how I feel about his drumming in general).  Mangini just nailed it.  For instance, it sounds small, but the cymbal work in particular sticks out to me.  MP's cymbal sound is a bit softer than many drummers and Mangini captured it perfectly.

Like a lot of people, I hope this whole thing causes DT to change a bit.  But, when all's said and done, I want another DT album, not a DT+newdrummer album.  Out of all these guys, Mangini's the only one who can deliver that.

And if that's what the band wants too, then it's their decision, not ours.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1946 on: April 27, 2011, 11:42:11 AM »
I'm really looking forward to hearing Wildoer on Friday.

I'm sure that song doesn't play to Peter's strenghts.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1947 on: April 27, 2011, 11:42:33 AM »
Reap, you underestimate Minnemann hardcore.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1948 on: April 27, 2011, 11:43:17 AM »
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1949 on: April 27, 2011, 11:44:38 AM »
Not necessarily.  Let's assume for a minute that they actually chose Marco and that Mike was their close second choice, that Marco turned them down or it somehow otherwise fell through, and they ultimately went with Mike as a result.  I'm NOT saying that's what happened, but let's assume for argument's sake that that is what happened.  If so, it WILL eventually come out.  Stuff like that doesn't stay behind closed doors forever.  If that's the case, they will be smart to portray the situation from the getgo that it was a VERY close decision between two immensely talented guys, and they made a very tough, subjective decision to make the first offer to a guy who ultimately did not end up being the one in the band.  By portraying it that way, they are doing damage control and taking control of how the story ultimately gets presented and being able to show that they didn't "settle" at all.

I COMPLETELY agree with you.  But for some reason a lot of people don't understand this.  If the situation were in fact the truth, would DT/management/RR/the editors correctly understand this and act on it?

Why?  I thought his jam with JP and JR was a great musical moment.  I think he's a killer drummer.  I just don't naturally gravitate to his style to begin with, and I find it inappropriate for DT.  Mainly because I don't find it dark enough.  What am I underestimating?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1950 on: April 27, 2011, 11:45:32 AM »
Here's another interesting observation:  It could just be intentional to throw us off, but...Mangini is the only one they've shown taking a group photo with the band.  Just sayin'...

Seeing Mangini so excited about being with the other guys, it wouldn't surprise me if it was HIM who asked to take the picture with the band, and the other's just didn't care about it  :lol

Offline Aniland

« Reply #1951 on: April 27, 2011, 11:45:37 AM »
I have to say, completely excluding the drumming aspects of things, I want Mangini the most. I just want to hug the guy in the first video when he's talking about how much he wants this.

There's something that I want to point out though... and that's this: they showed us Mangini's interview with the band, where he restates what he did to the camera earlier: I'm not here to, in any way, replace Mike Portnoy. Mangini is set on making that as clear to us and the band as possible, and after that, Petrucci explains that they're looking for somebody who is willing to step up to the plate and be that replacement. Now, Petrucci segues his sentence into saying "And I feel very comfortable with you playing.", so it's not left on any odd disposition, but still... that stood out to me as a possible, "Maybe Mike Mangini did not get the part, because he does not want to overtake Mike's role in the band's career."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1952 on: April 27, 2011, 11:46:02 AM »
Reap, couldn't agree more.  And, again, Mangini did inject plenty of his own personality, according to both the clips and what the guys said.  But how he did it is all-important.  He remained true to the original parts while adding some of his own individual accents to the parts rather than changing up the parts.  That's a very important distinction.

Offline JPX

« Reply #1953 on: April 27, 2011, 11:46:28 AM »
Marco, may be a little more creative then Mike M. Jordan seemed to get off on him talking about about how he made him smile. I thought Ruddy would have had a better go of it. Once he said to the guys he likes to work on things for a while he was dead in the water. Marco appeared to have that creative spark and killer chops. Then again Mike M is/was already much more of an insider with the guys.
I may change my mind after seeing him, but I hope it is not  Priester based on his corny use of gloves. To me it makes him look like she should be playing for Great White in 1987.

I endorse this post.

In addition - to me, Marco's playing just feels 'progressive'. I remember seeing him playing beats to vocal samples, and while it was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, I would enjoy something that creative in an instrumental part of a DT song.
Mangini seems much more of a straight forward guy, even though he has the crazy chops.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1954 on: April 27, 2011, 11:46:35 AM »
I think you are underestimating his ability to be creative with DT to produce a DT album if he is chosen.  That guy means business behind the kit.  You think Portnoy is more serious than Minnemann?  Portnoy was a clown behind the kit a lot of the time too.

Offline darkshot

« Reply #1955 on: April 27, 2011, 11:47:02 AM »
I remember someone mentioned JR, JP and Minneman are going to be doing a side project together?  This makes me think of when they took Jordan on board after KM left, but he couldn't join so they had Derek for a few years, until they did LTE with Jordan and realized, we really need this guy.

Maybe Minneman had to turn them down for some reason (which is a rumor that is going around already), so they will pick Mangini as their next choice, and do side projects with Marco.  That gives me hope that if Mangini is the new drummer, if he ever decides to leave, they can fall back on Minneman :)  I really enjoyed watching Minneman play with the band so I'm still rooting for him even though the evidence is stacked against him at this point.

I will be happy with either MM though.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1956 on: April 27, 2011, 11:47:45 AM »
It seems weird that they didn't show that comment in the second episode if it was from Minnemann's audition.

Why?  They already teased it at the end of Ep. 1.  Given that they have several hours' worth of footage (3 hours of audition per drummer), they aren't going to include everything.

I think they'll show it when they'll have to sum up their impressions about every drummer to justify why they've picked that one instead of the others...

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #1957 on: April 27, 2011, 11:47:54 AM »

Oh boy.

Yeah, there is a correct way to play it.  Mike Portnoy wrote a drum part the drummer is expected to know.  If you change the part and the band doesn't like it, you did it wrong.  Why do they "need" to add their own style?

And how is this necessarily better for them musically?  And why do you seem to know more about what's good for them musically than they do?

It's not even like I completely disagree with you.  It feels like a bigger part of what the band's looking for than I'd like is simply the drummer's ability to imitate Portnoy.  And yet here's what I can't deny:  So far, Mangini's the only one of these guys I'd be comfortable with if I saw them live.  Roddy and Donati just didn't get it.  I don't personally like Minneman's energy in the context of the band, and something seemed missing from Lang (which is how I feel about his drumming in general).  Mangini just nailed it.  For instance, it sounds small, but the cymbal work in particular sticks out to me.  MP's cymbal sound is a bit softer than many drummers and Mangini captured it perfectly.

Like a lot of people, I hope this whole thing causes DT to change a bit.  But, when all's said and done, I want another DT album, not a DT+newdrummer album.  Out of all these guys, Mangini's the only one who can deliver that.

And if that's what the band wants too, then it's their decision, not ours.

Pretty much this. That's why (if true) the news of Minnemann doing a side project with JP and JR is great. We'll get DT still sounding like DT, and then we'll get another interesting direction with Minnemann, that's probably a lot looser, like Liquid Tension.

Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline jsem

« Reply #1958 on: April 27, 2011, 11:49:14 AM »
I want Minnemann. Either him or Mangini now, but who knows - maybe Priester or Wildoer did a fantastic audition..

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #1959 on: April 27, 2011, 11:49:46 AM »

I suppose. It also helps that Mangini was the closest guy, being from Boston, to DT. It's not like the crew's gonna fly to Austria, Germany, Brazil, or wherever to capture the other guys.

they didn't send a crew to boston. they sent cameras to all of the guys.