Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 665300 times)

Offline Aniland

Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #1645 on: April 27, 2011, 12:08:38 AM »
It will be Atticus.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1646 on: April 27, 2011, 12:47:29 AM »
Meh, I pay for the full premium version. Totally worth it, especially as I can sync it up to my iPod. And ultimately it means that if I keep listening to something on there, a bit of my money ends up going to the band/label. :)

Although when I find things I really really like, I buy them eventually anyway.

That's how I work too... but Spotify has had a problem for more than 6 months of a lot of 10 min+ tracks being removed, and it's because of a licensing problem they have. Otherwise I'd definitely pay for Unlimited...

That basically has restricted me from being able to check out Mike Oldfield.. lol
Ah right, never noticed that, looks like it's only for certain artists or more likely certain labels. I have yet to come across anything with that problem.

A couple of the best Rush songs (2112, The Camera Eye, Xanadu) have become victim of this... Luckily I have them on CD.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1647 on: April 27, 2011, 12:50:39 AM »
Hi Peter!  I see that you're online...could you tell us if DT "planted" any curveballs or red herrings?  Not that you'd be able to tell us....but did they?  ;D
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1648 on: April 27, 2011, 12:57:27 AM »
@Wildoer

I just watched the Experiment clip. Awesome drumming, a lot of energy, composition-wise I loved the part before the reprise the most, the part with the woodblock, y'know.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1649 on: April 27, 2011, 01:09:26 AM »
Hi Peter!  I see that you're online...could you tell us if DT "planted" any curveballs or red herrings?  Not that you'd be able to tell us....but did they?  ;D

Peter, if you're looking at this question wondering wtf H is asking you, don't worry. As a native speaker of English, I also have no idea  ;D

Offline jsem

« Reply #1650 on: April 27, 2011, 02:34:01 AM »
Meh, I pay for the full premium version. Totally worth it, especially as I can sync it up to my iPod. And ultimately it means that if I keep listening to something on there, a bit of my money ends up going to the band/label. :)

Although when I find things I really really like, I buy them eventually anyway.

That's how I work too... but Spotify has had a problem for more than 6 months of a lot of 10 min+ tracks being removed, and it's because of a licensing problem they have. Otherwise I'd definitely pay for Unlimited...

That basically has restricted me from being able to check out Mike Oldfield.. lol
Ah right, never noticed that, looks like it's only for certain artists or more likely certain labels. I have yet to come across anything with that problem.

A couple of the best Rush songs (2112, The Camera Eye, Xanadu) have become victim of this... Luckily I have them on CD.
Yeah. That was one of the reasons I hauled a bunch of Rush CDs.. they were on sale anyway. Win!  :lol

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #1651 on: April 27, 2011, 03:44:50 AM »
Next one in 5 hours! I wonder what songs they'll play this time, considering they went through the bands discography last time :p

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1652 on: April 27, 2011, 03:53:01 AM »
I cant wait for the next episode... In Poland it will be 6 PM when it will be released...I have to go to work at 7 PM, I just called there and said that I going to be late today... ;)

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #1653 on: April 27, 2011, 03:55:56 AM »
Times like this I really wish I had a youtube capable smart phone or something of the like.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1654 on: April 27, 2011, 03:56:32 AM »
It'll be 11 at night for me when the vid comes on. I'll just watch it, post on here for a bit then go to sleep :)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1655 on: April 27, 2011, 03:58:50 AM »
Next one in 5 hours! I wonder what songs they'll play this time, considering they went through the bands discography last time :p
I don't know, but I'm sure that the awsomeness of the NY skyline with LTL's outro playing at the ending of the first epusode will be unmatched.
 Goose skin inducing, as we say in italy ;)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1656 on: April 27, 2011, 04:00:47 AM »
I don't know, but I'm sure that the awsomeness of the NY skyline with LTL's outro playing at the ending of the first epusode will be unmatched.
 Goose skin inducing, as we say in italy ;)
Yeah it was great, but as I said before I thought it would have been better if they saved it (probably DT's best outro) for the last installment :)

Offline cookienut

• Far Away From Home
« Reply #1657 on: April 27, 2011, 04:16:26 AM »
This is so great. Sure it sucks MP left the band but we are now seeing and even conversing with quite famous and highly skilled musicians. We have JLB, JP and JR reaching out quite extensively to us the fans. We also have RR providing us an awesome documentary that gives us fans a rare insight to our favorite band. I have to give DT kudos for managing this. We had our doubts but now we see why it was secret for so long. Its like they gave us a present for being patient.

While all things point to mangini being the dude. It's still somewhat elusive. Or a little doubt. Which is fantastic. MM can definately pull the job off...and then some!

Kudos to Pete for giving us his insights. I've only read a little of this thread but it's great.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1658 on: April 27, 2011, 04:26:00 AM »
Yeah it was great, but as I said before I thought it would have been better if they saved it (probably DT's best outro) for the last installment :)
You know, I though that as well, but then,  the section was right there, and I was watching it, so what the fuck XD

Maybe they could go with the second best outro, Scarred, or maybe Razor's E
Edge, which is not bad either!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 04:41:08 AM by wasteland »
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #1659 on: April 27, 2011, 04:50:14 AM »
Oh man I'm looking forward to the installment so much. It drops at 4pm UK time but I start work at 1.30 and won't be home till about 10! Going to be the longest day ever

Offline dvargas

« Reply #1660 on: April 27, 2011, 04:51:58 AM »
Times like this I really wish I had a youtube capable smart phone or something of the like.

It wont play on mobile devices.

Offline Ryozo Matsumoto

« Reply #1661 on: April 27, 2011, 05:24:33 AM »

I Can't Wait, this is better than christmas.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 05:31:53 AM by Ryozo Matsumoto »

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #1662 on: April 27, 2011, 05:37:43 AM »
3 Hours and 20mins yayayayayayay owowowowo.  :metal :biggrin:

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1663 on: April 27, 2011, 06:11:44 AM »
Peter can clear this up.

Was that drum thing chocolate or a ceramic drum  :lol

Hey!

It was made out of chocolate with small chocolate bits inside. Very tasty and cool. Other stuff that were included in the gift bag as I remember it now were, the letter we've seen in the video, a DT cap, DT shirt, DT mousepad and a DT necklace if I remember correctly.

2 hours and 50 minutes!!!  :metal  :metal  :metal Can't wait!!!

Offline tumbok

« Reply #1664 on: April 27, 2011, 06:37:15 AM »
Peter can clear this up.

Was that drum thing chocolate or a ceramic drum  :lol

Hey!

It was made out of chocolate with small chocolate bits inside. Very tasty and cool. Other stuff that were included in the gift bag as I remember it now were, the letter we've seen in the video, a DT cap, DT shirt, DT mousepad and a DT necklace if I remember correctly.

2 hours and 50 minutes!!!  :metal  :metal  :metal Can't wait!!!

i want that cap so badly

Offline emtee

« Reply #1665 on: April 27, 2011, 06:39:16 AM »
I'm hoping for a huge unexpected curve ball at the end of this. Where everybody goes..."NO WAY"

But at the same time I've felt all along it's Mangini.

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #1666 on: April 27, 2011, 06:42:37 AM »
Peter:

First, I'm honoured to have the opportunity to talk to one of the best drummers in the world. My question is: all of you seven used the same drum kit to audition, but there are some differences in the different sequences of the trailer video. Were you been able to customize that kit for your own best?

Thank you very much for your time.

All the best.

Andres.
Buenos Aires
Argentina

Peter?
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline SixDegrees

« Reply #1667 on: April 27, 2011, 06:55:53 AM »
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:23:38 AM by SixDegrees »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1668 on: April 27, 2011, 06:58:10 AM »
I used to have that cap but I lost it on a trip to the beach.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1669 on: April 27, 2011, 07:11:34 AM »
lol

No, really. To think there is an 8th drummer is ridiculous. Tri.ad is correct.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1670 on: April 27, 2011, 07:14:04 AM »
Peter:

First, I'm honoured to have the opportunity to talk to one of the best drummers in the world. My question is: all of you seven used the same drum kit to audition, but there are some differences in the different sequences of the trailer video. Were you been able to customize that kit for your own best?

All the best.

Andres.
Buenos Aires
Argentina

Peter?

Try not to push it too hard, bud. Once is enough. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline JediKnight1969

• Andrés
« Reply #1671 on: April 27, 2011, 07:17:35 AM »
Peter:

All the best.

Andres.
Buenos Aires
Argentina

Peter?

Yeah... Maybe you're right. Thanks anyway.
A daily dose of eMpTyV will flush your mind right down the drain...

Offline theliloutkast

« Reply #1672 on: April 27, 2011, 07:29:26 AM »
I'm quite excited to find out whom the new drummer is :)

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1673 on: April 27, 2011, 07:31:34 AM »
Peter:

All the best.

Andres.
Buenos Aires
Argentina

Peter?

:lol No worries!

All drummers had enough time to set up the kit how they wanted it. Yes, we did use the same kit and there were plenty of toms, stands etc. and also some stuff that we individually asked for. The same goes for cymbals but I brought some special stacks and other specific cymbals with me. I also brought my twin kick pedal.

A "fun" thing is that I was the only drummer that used just one bass drum with twin pedals. All the others used two bass drums. I've never used double bass drums as that would not fit in my car!  :D  JR actually asked me how I was able to play their songs with just one kick drum when I was setting up. I said that I had a really fast right foot, ha ha ha...  :rollin  He looked at me very surpised then I said I use a twin pedal.  ;)

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1674 on: April 27, 2011, 07:36:32 AM »
So let me see if I get this right: Are the pedal(s) you are using those special pedals where one pedal basically "controls" two beaters?
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1675 on: April 27, 2011, 07:39:07 AM »
All drummers had enough time to set up the kit how they wanted it. Yes, we did use the same kit and there were plenty of toms, stands etc. and also some stuff that we individually asked for. The same goes for cymbals but I brought some special stacks and other specific cymbals with me. I also brought my twin kick pedal.

A "fun" thing is that I was the only drummer that used just one bass drum with twin pedals. All the others used two bass drums. I've never used double bass drums as that would not fit in my car!  :D  JR actually asked me how I was able to play their songs with just one kick drum when I was setting up. I said that I had a really fast right foot, ha ha ha...  :rollin  He looked at me very surpised then I said I use a twin pedal.  ;)
Our drummer actually do the same, for the same reasons as you. :lol Just more practical when you don't have roadies doing all the work for you. The same reason I don't use a wall of speakers behind me on stage. (Other than it being really, really cliché of course... :P )

Just curious - is it hard to play on someone else's kits or is more something you get used to? I couldn't imagine playing one someone else's guitar for example.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1676 on: April 27, 2011, 07:40:10 AM »
Peter:

All the best.

Andres.
Buenos Aires
Argentina

Peter?

Not to speak for Peter, but this has pretty much been answered indirectly by both Peter and the video footage.  You can see in the video that each drummer has a slightly different configuration.  Prior to Mangini's audition, you can see him doing his own setup.  And Peter said he had awhile (I think he said 30 min.) to set up and tune the kit.  So, yeah, it looks as though each drummer was able to set up and tune the kit to his own specifications.  And that would make sense.  You don't want to be auditioning on an instrument that isn't set up comfortably for your style and abilities.  I'm also guessing, although it hasn't been specifically asked and you can't tell for certain from the video, that each drummer was able to bring in his own cymbals and effects as well.  In Mangini's audition, you can clearly see him setting up a pedal and putting cymbals on the stands.  My assumption is that he brought them.  (even though he doesn't appear to be carrying a cymbal bag into the studio, I'm sure that shot was staged, so if he brought one, it was probably either brought in prior to the shot or brought in by someone else)

EDIT:  Well, okay, now that Peter has definitively answered the question, I guess we know for sure.  :p

@H:  Lang is in both the previews and Episode 1.  I don't recall clips of him talking yet in ep. 1, but there were in the trailer, and there are clips of him playing in both.

As far as whether or not to "count him out," as I said when the trailer came out, even though I've gotten a lot of clues in past months that point to one individual, I wouldn't count any of them out just yet.  Clearly, a lot of the information that has come out has been carefully manipulated to not give away too much.  There are clearly some false clues out there to throw us off the trail.  There is only one person I know for certain is not the choice.  The other six...who knows?  :x
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline John94

« Reply #1677 on: April 27, 2011, 07:44:00 AM »
Awesome to have you at DTF, Peter. It's great to get the opinions of someone who actually auditioned. I look forward to seeing your audition video too!

Speaking of which, not long to go until part 2! Been excited about this all day.

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #1678 on: April 27, 2011, 07:49:15 AM »
So let me see if I get this right: Are the pedal(s) you are using those special pedals where one pedal basically "controls" two beaters?

the kind of pedal peter is talking about looks like this:

2 pedals that control 2 beaters for one kick.

then, guys like lang also have this nifty thing:

this pedal is neat because you can control the right-most pedal with your toes and the left with the heel. lang typically uses it with his left foot on things like cowbells, aux snares, etc. regardless, i can't wait to see if he brought that with him.

yes, i play drums.  :yarr

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #1679 on: April 27, 2011, 07:50:17 AM »

Interesting, sometimes we take somethings for granted and don't there are more people who might not know. here is a pick of what Peter is talking about

The left pedal have an extension to the same bassdrum as the right one.. it feels and sound almost exactly as having two bassdrums (sometimes some drummers tune both bassdrums different for accent or something)

ps. phentalmyst win it to me!! and no.. i'm not a drummer, i'm a guitar player hahah.