Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 665328 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #1505 on: April 26, 2011, 03:06:36 PM »
Sorry for my mass answers and not collecting them in one post, hope I don't break any rules!  :omg:
Yes how dare you, DON'T MAKE ME BAN YOU PETER!

So I guess I'm out here now then?  :omg:
Because I like you so much, I've decided to let you stay. ;)

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1506 on: April 26, 2011, 03:06:54 PM »
Hey, Peter.  I've tried to avoid asking you anything that I think might possibly be off limits.  I think this one might be okay, but feel free to ignore it if you think it might go too far:  I was wondering, how long was the audition altogether?  I know it must have been longer than the 8-minutes that was shown of Mr. Mangini's, but it's hard to tell from the edited film how long it actually took.  I'm guessing something like:

-Arrive, say hellos, and set up the kit the way you like it:  15 min.
-Warm up and fine tune the kit:  15 min.
-Play DT tunes:  30 min. (which assumes there isn't a whole lot of talking, etc. in between songs--or is there?)
-Talk for a few minutes about the jam tunes/new riff exercise, and then jam:  20 min.
-Verbal "interview":  30 min.

That's roughly 2 hours worth, which feels like it should be about right.  Can you share any details about how close that is to the actual?  Again, if not, or if you want to wait until the full documentary is out, I can understand.

Hey!

No worries asking whatever. I'll have to judge what I can answer and not I guess.

Between the start of every drummer audition there were four hours. That left enough time for the drummer to audition, talk and get interviewed. Also the DT guys had a talk after each drummer auditioned.

I was the last one auditioning so there were no one after me. This is roughly what happened at my audition:
Meet and great, 10 minutes
Drum setup, tuning etc. 30 minutes
Warmup, 10 minutes
Jam, 15 minutes (this was simply amazing!!! Here I was jamming with these guys)
Went through the three songs, 30 minutes
"Test", 15 minutes (but it felt like an hour, ha ha ha. No not really, was actually fun!)
Interview, small talk etc, almost an hour since there were no stress.
During this time I also hade some food from the buffé and then the pizza that according to JP was the best in NYC!  :)

I actually think all in all we were there for a bit more than three hours. Because of Static Impulse James and I talked a bit about that too. Also the manager and his wife are amazing persons and my wife and I talked a lot to the too.

All in all the whole audition was fantastic to say the least! Once again I have to say that all people involved were very very nice!!!

Thank you SO much for posting that.  VERY good information that helps us to better visualize where things fit in context as we are watching the videos.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1507 on: April 26, 2011, 03:08:24 PM »
Peter, big thanx for participating here with us... You have to know that is a big pleasure and honour for me...not only I suppose... ;) For such music maniac like me (including Darkane ;) ) it's really BIG thing, and I think impossible to forget... Thank you ;)  :tup

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1508 on: April 26, 2011, 03:15:41 PM »
Thanks again for the insight, Peter. It sounds like although DT were aware of the fact that the audition was something that needed to be taken seriously (and very adrenaline-inducing for the auditionee), they always tried to maintain a relaxed atmosphere, which is good imo.

And I hope that we'll find out what that ominous "test" is very soon...
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1509 on: April 26, 2011, 03:16:07 PM »
Sorry for my mass answers and not collecting them in one post, hope I don't break any rules!  :omg:

:tup
 :heart u too  :biggrin:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1510 on: April 26, 2011, 03:20:26 PM »
I thought this just referred to the jam and playing around the new riff, although hopefully Peter can clarify.

:tup
 :heart u too  :biggrin:
Oh my, now I'm feeling all bashful!  :blush

Seriously though, thanks so much for all the insight you're giving us, really adds to the overall experience for us fans!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
Dream Theater - The Spirit Carries On - Episode 1 (720p)
« Reply #1511 on: April 26, 2011, 03:29:58 PM »
https://www.megaupload.com/?d=P7XVNNEI

Mirrors to come :)

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1512 on: April 26, 2011, 03:31:35 PM »
Peter, big thanx for participating here with us... You have to know that is a big pleasure and honour for me...not only I suppose... ;) For such music maniac like me (including Darkane ;) ) it's really BIG thing, and I think impossible to forget... Thank you ;)  :tup

Cool, thanks!!!   :)  As a huge music fan myself all this is just great! Also coming in as the underdog among those amazing drummers I feel more as a fan that was fortunate to audition due to lucky circumstances.

Thanks again for the insight, Peter. It sounds like although DT were aware of the fact that the audition was something that needed to be taken seriously (and very adrenaline-inducing for the auditionee), they always tried to maintain a relaxed atmosphere, which is good imo.

Yeah, they for sure wanted a great atmophere.

Yeah, they for sure wanted a great atmosphere.
The "Test" was operated by some aliens as far as I can remember. Memories dizzy there.

Could also be the fact that the "Test" was the part where the guys threw some odd meter riffs at the drummer to get the vibe how it would be working with him writing in the studio. Yeah, I remember now, I remember how it started, I just remember doing what they told me, told me...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1513 on: April 26, 2011, 03:32:24 PM »

Unless it's something we haven't heard about, I think the "test" is the part where they play the new riffs the band worked up with the crazy time signatures, etc., and they had to play it.

EDIT:  Nevermind.  Peter answered it.   :lol  (nice Mindcrime reference there.   :tup )
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1514 on: April 26, 2011, 03:32:49 PM »
 :o He's been probed!!!!

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #1515 on: April 26, 2011, 03:33:19 PM »
@ Peter, what other bands do you like/listen to alot?
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1516 on: April 26, 2011, 03:33:29 PM »
:lol Brilliance.

EDIT: So, despite loving the drums and vocals (including Peter's) on Static Impulse, I'd never bothered to check out Darkane, but now that I've realised what a great guy Mr Wildoer is, I've decided to check them out. Most of the albums are on Spotify, so a perfect way to give them a listen! :D

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Setebos

Re: Dream Theater - The Spirit Carries On - Episode 1 (720p)
« Reply #1517 on: April 26, 2011, 03:37:01 PM »
https://www.megaupload.com/?d=P7XVNNEI

Mirrors to come :)
Wonderful, thanks a lot man. ;D

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #1518 on: April 26, 2011, 03:39:10 PM »

EDIT: So, despite loving the drums and vocals (including Peter's) on Static Impulse, I'd never bothered to check out Darkane, but now that I've realised what a great guy Mr Wildoer is, I've decided to check them out. Most of the albums are on Spotify, so a perfect way to give them a listen! :D
Darkane is some good stuff.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #1519 on: April 26, 2011, 03:39:49 PM »
"Test"... I wonder what that is...  :lol
It's to see how far the drummers can spit; that way Petrucci will know whether he can get rid of his spit-shield or not.

Offline jsem

« Reply #1520 on: April 26, 2011, 03:40:08 PM »

Cool, thanks!!!   :)  As a huge music fan myself all this is just great! Also coming in as the underdog among those amazing drummers I feel more as a fan that was fortunate to audition due to lucky circumstances.

Yeah, they for sure wanted a great atmophere.

Yeah, they for sure wanted a great atmosphere.
The "Test" was operated by some aliens as far as I can remember. Memories dizzy there.

Could also be the fact that the "Test" was the part where the guys threw some odd meter riffs at the drummer to get the vibe how it would be working with him writing in the studio. Yeah, I remember now, I remember how it started, I just remember doing what they told me, told me...
LOL

Operation: Mindcrime nuggets  :metal :metal

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1521 on: April 26, 2011, 03:41:19 PM »
Here's something that hit me right now (idk if anyone has already posted about it): look at the JLB's hair lenght in the "Welcome to the family" section. I think it is definitely longer than it is in the other parts of the Doc, very much like it was when the Tarrytown show was held (mid January). This may strenghten the theory suggesting that a cobsiderable time lapse occurred between the auditions and the announcement.

I know, this is probably just a late night delirium, but maybe there is some truth lying beneath it...  :)
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #1522 on: April 26, 2011, 03:42:09 PM »
Chek out Peter in Electrocution 250. Some awesome stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4cCyvkZPOs&fmt=18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqTASEWuVIg&feature=related

Great cd if you can find it.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Online Mladen

« Reply #1523 on: April 26, 2011, 03:44:12 PM »
:metal

Once again, thanks a lot for the info, Peter.  :tup

Online nikatapi

« Reply #1524 on: April 26, 2011, 03:45:38 PM »

You should, they are in my top 3 melodic death metal groups!
I remember when i found out that Peter was the drummer on Static Impulse, i was so excited and couldn't imagine how his crazy drumming would fit in a JLB album. It was better than i expected :metal :metal

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1525 on: April 26, 2011, 03:46:09 PM »

(nice Mindcrime reference there.   :tup )

;)

Thanks! Quite different from DT though.   ;D  Hope you like it!!!
Here's a cool part from the Darkane song "Organic canvas":

www.youtube.com/watch?v=40vnWTfNot4

Chek out Peter in Electrocution 250. Some awesome stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4cCyvkZPOs&fmt=18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqTASEWuVIg&feature=related

I talked to Lalle (keyboard player of E-250) a few wekks ago and we talked about recording a new album. Would be sooo much fun!!!

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #1526 on: April 26, 2011, 03:47:40 PM »
@ Peter, That would be AWESOME on the Electruction 250. Love the original CD. The groove and feel is just cool. something I listen to often. That must have been fun music to record/play.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1527 on: April 26, 2011, 03:50:02 PM »

I remember when i found out that Peter was the drummer on Static Impulse, i was so excited and couldn't imagine how his crazy drumming would fit in a JLB album. It was better than i expected :metal :metal

Thank you soooo much!!!   :tup

@ Peter, That would be AWESOME on the Electruction 250. Love the original CD. The groove and feel is just cool.

Would be cool since that album is quite old by now. I was told just a few weeks ago by Matt (the guy that released the E-250 album) that JR was a fan of the band, coool!

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #1528 on: April 26, 2011, 03:50:24 PM »

That kicked some serious ass! Very nice, Mr. Wildoer  :metal

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #1529 on: April 26, 2011, 03:52:34 PM »

Thank you soooo much!!!   :tup

@ Peter, That would be AWESOME on the Electruction 250. Love the original CD. The groove and feel is just cool.

Would be cool since that album is quite old by now. I was told just a few weeks ago by Matt (the guy that released the E-250 album) that JR was a fan of the band, coool!

Dude, that album rocks. I think If some pople here could get ahold of it, they would be floored. or jut even check some songs out on Youtube.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline jsem

« Reply #1530 on: April 26, 2011, 03:52:50 PM »

You reminded me that Spotify isn't going to be free anymore...  :angry: :angry: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda:

I will never be open again. (pun intended.. well I never had the open version anyway, but..)

Gotta have to check out Darkane too..

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1531 on: April 26, 2011, 03:55:41 PM »

Thanks! Quite different from DT though.   ;D  Hope you like it!!!

Damn.  I love your swing on the high hat Peter with the double bass.  You don't normally see that with metal, hard or progressive rock.  Love it!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1532 on: April 26, 2011, 03:55:55 PM »
Here's something that hit me right now (idk if anyone has already posted about it): look at the JLB's hair lenght in the "Welcome to the family" section. I think it is definitely longer than it is in the other parts of the Doc, very much like it was when the Tarrytown show was held (mid January). This may strenghten the theory suggesting that a cobsiderable time lapse occurred between the auditions and the announcement.

I know, this is probably just a late night delirium, but maybe there is some truth lying beneath it...  :)

Good theory, but the truth is that having those drummers playing with DT actually makes time go faster in the surrounding areas, so everybody got 1 year older during the auditions. Prepare to see Petrucci sleeping during the whole second day (hibernation time) and JR's beard growing down to his waist a la Rip Van Winkle.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1533 on: April 26, 2011, 03:56:03 PM »

Dude, that album rocks. I think I some pople here cold get ahold of it, they would be floored.
Is that the Electric Cartoon Music From Hell album? Because that is also on Spotify! :D

You reminded me that Spotify isn't going to be free anymore...  :angry: :angry: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda:

I will never be open again. (pun intended.. well I never had the open version anyway, but..)

Meh, I pay for the full premium version. Totally worth it, especially as I can sync it up to my iPod. And ultimately it means that if I keep listening to something on there, a bit of my money ends up going to the band/label. :)

Although when I find things I really really like, I buy them eventually anyway.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #1534 on: April 26, 2011, 03:58:01 PM »

Dude, that album rocks. I think I some pople here cold get ahold of it, they would be floored.
Is that the Electric Cartoon Music From Hell album? Because that is also on Spotify! :D

You reminded me that Spotify isn't going to be free anymore...  :angry: :angry: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda:

Meh, I pay for the full premium version. Totally worth it, especially as I can sync it up to my iPod. And ultimately it means that if I keep listening to something on there, a bit of my money ends up going to the band/label. :)

@ariich, ys thats the album.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1535 on: April 26, 2011, 03:58:34 PM »
Schweet, syncing up to iPod now, will listen to it at work tomorrow, along with the Darkane!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jsem

« Reply #1536 on: April 26, 2011, 03:58:41 PM »

That's how I work too... but Spotify has had a problem for more than 6 months of a lot of 10 min+ tracks being removed, and it's because of a licensing problem they have. Otherwise I'd definitely pay for Unlimited...

That basically has restricted me from being able to check out Mike Oldfield.. lol

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #1537 on: April 26, 2011, 04:00:02 PM »
Schweet, syncing up to iPod now, will listen to it at work tomorrow, along with the Darkane!

Cool. The E-250 stuff is awesome. as is Darkane. Check out Peter in Pestilence (s/P? sorry doing a brain fart at the moment).
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1538 on: April 26, 2011, 04:01:39 PM »

That's how I work too... but Spotify has had a problem for more than 6 months of a lot of 10 min+ tracks being removed, and it's because of a licensing problem they have. Otherwise I'd definitely pay for Unlimited...

That basically has restricted me from being able to check out Mike Oldfield.. lol
Ah right, never noticed that, looks like it's only for certain artists or more likely certain labels. I have yet to come across anything with that problem.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dream_Theater01

« Reply #1539 on: April 26, 2011, 04:02:35 PM »
When will the next episode be?  Is this going to be a weekly thing?  Also, is it known when the band will announce the new drummer?  Does the band already know the new drummer?