Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 665263 times)

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #1470 on: April 26, 2011, 01:12:42 PM »
He posted it on Facebook but it seems he's taken it down, I can't see it anymore.

Offline Setebos

« Reply #1471 on: April 26, 2011, 01:23:39 PM »
Is there any other source for the video than youtube?

Youtube won't let me see it ("Not available in my country")... :censored

Try downloading it through KeepVid using this URL.
Doesn't work for me for some reason. Thanks for the try though. :sad:

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #1472 on: April 26, 2011, 01:29:46 PM »
I think page 37 this thread someone posted it:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marco...nn/60833133772

hi, no I'm not DTs drummer:-). But I did work with Jordan on the "musical mind meld", and we have plans for a trio project with John P and Jordan together. And I'm sorry I ended up being unwillingly dragged into these imo silly soap opera DT episodes, haha. I really didn't want that and wasn't asked for approval. Love to all of ya:-)
Except that it was taken down, and we're not even sure whether that is his actual facebook page or just a fan posing as him. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Ricky, any progress with that?

None at all. I emailed two different contacts straight from his official website last night on two different gmail accounts, and even sent one out to the "general info" email just in case that gets checked quicker.

I find it very disconcerting that nowhere on his official site (https://marcominnemann.com/), which I scoured for quite a while last night, is there any link to an official "facebook."

They do, however, post one to his official myspace (https://www.myspace.com/marcominnemann) and nowhere  is there any mention of an official facebook there either, despite the fact that links to different sites related to Marco are thrown out left and right. I'll let you know when if I get word, but so far I am somewhat skeptical.

I'm at the moment looking for answers on a few different sources, so ill let you know.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Cygnus7874

• Just Chillin
« Reply #1473 on: April 26, 2011, 01:37:13 PM »
There have been a lot of comments posted about how this documentary has been directed. I find it interesting that if any of the other members of the band left, Mike Portnoy would probably be directing this film.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1474 on: April 26, 2011, 01:42:52 PM »
I find it ironic that both of these statements were made after Mike Portnoy left the picture:

"Dream Theater is more than just one person"

"Avenged Sevenfold is more than just one person""

Nuggets yet again! :D

Pretty soon, they'll will be saying "Neal Morse is more than just one person"... oh wait.......

Offline Aniland

« Reply #1475 on: April 26, 2011, 01:43:51 PM »
I wonder if Portnoy is watching it, and what he thinks of it.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1476 on: April 26, 2011, 01:44:49 PM »

hi, no I'm not DTs drummer:-). But I did work with Jordan on the "musical mind meld", and we have plans for a trio project with John P and Jordan together. And I'm sorry I ended up being unwillingly dragged into these imo silly soap opera DT episodes, haha. I really didn't want that and wasn't asked for approval. Love to all of ya:-)
Except that it was taken down, and we're not even sure whether that is his actual facebook page or just a fan posing as him. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

None at all. I emailed two different contacts straight from his official website last night on two different gmail accounts, and even sent one out to the "general info" email just in case that gets checked quicker.

I find it very disconcerting that nowhere on his official site (https://marcominnemann.com/), which I scoured for quite a while last night, is there any link to an official "facebook."

They do, however, post one to his official myspace (https://www.myspace.com/marcominnemann) and nowhere  is there any mention of an official facebook there either, despite the fact that links to different sites related to Marco are thrown out left and right. I'll let you know when if I get word, but so far I am somewhat skeptical.

I'm at the moment looking for answers on a few different sources, so ill let you know.
Yeah I am very much of the impression that it's not an official page at all.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1477 on: April 26, 2011, 01:50:18 PM »

If he does, he will see they treated him with utmost respect and I quote "We love Mike". So he'll probably be touched if anything, mixed with feelings of regret and "what might have been".

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #1478 on: April 26, 2011, 01:57:00 PM »

They do, however, post one to his official myspace (https://www.myspace.com/marcominnemann) and nowhere  is there any mention of an official facebook there either, despite the fact that links to different sites related to Marco are thrown out left and right. I'll let you know when if I get word, but so far I am somewhat skeptical.

Yeah I am very much of the impression that it's not an official page at all.

Not sure if it is an official page, but Marco Minnemann's real facebook personal page "likes" this page.

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1479 on: April 26, 2011, 02:05:58 PM »
Wildoer's lurking guys  :biggrin:

I do have a serious question for him, though. Is this footage new to you audiotionees too? Had you guys seen it before, OR is a lot of this footage new to you all too?

Yes, it's new to us. We've seen our own parts that are coming up but not the others. I'm as curious as you!

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1480 on: April 26, 2011, 02:09:08 PM »
Now I have to follow that long and intelligent post by saying that I don't think Peter is lurking in this thread all the time. His name has been there every hour of night and day since he first posted. He mentioned he was posting from his phone, I think he's just left the browser with this thread open running in the background so it is easier for him to navigate to it again.

I might be wrong though. Hi Peter! :3

Hey Arch!

You're right. My laptop is mostly on and I have this page up so I can read whenever I have the time. Try to post as soon as I have the time.

But, that old thread with the longest login time sounds great! Bring it on...   :lol

cheers

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1481 on: April 26, 2011, 02:11:11 PM »
 :lol

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1482 on: April 26, 2011, 02:12:26 PM »
What I noticed last night watching the first episdoe again is that Peter doesn't have much of a Swedish accent when he speaks English.  Not knowing what many of the drummers looked like (besides Priester), I thought he was Derek Roddy at first  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1483 on: April 26, 2011, 02:13:34 PM »
Well, now that's an interesting coincidence because, for a while, I thought *I* was Derek Roddy.  Looks like we were both wrong.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1484 on: April 26, 2011, 02:14:09 PM »
BTW Wildoer isn't checking this thread anymore.

Yes I am.  ;)  Lurking, lurking, lurking...  :biggrin:

By the way Nihil have you seen me perform Lalle Larsson's tune "Experiment" a few years ago at a drum clinic:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTZZ42Uu9aI

Thought you might like it?

Cheers

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #1485 on: April 26, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
I wonder if Dominici's psychic ability told him in advance that the band was gonna kick him to the curb two decades ago...

oh shi-
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1486 on: April 26, 2011, 02:20:52 PM »
Hey, Peter.  I've tried to avoid asking you anything that I think might possibly be off limits.  I think this one might be okay, but feel free to ignore it if you think it might go too far:  I was wondering, how long was the audition altogether?  I know it must have been longer than the 8-minutes that was shown of Mr. Mangini's, but it's hard to tell from the edited film how long it actually took.  I'm guessing something like:

-Arrive, say hellos, and set up the kit the way you like it:  15 min.
-Warm up and fine tune the kit:  15 min.
-Play DT tunes:  30 min. (which assumes there isn't a whole lot of talking, etc. in between songs--or is there?)
-Talk for a few minutes about the jam tunes/new riff exercise, and then jam:  20 min.
-Verbal "interview":  30 min.

That's roughly 2 hours worth, which feels like it should be about right.  Can you share any details about how close that is to the actual?  Again, if not, or if you want to wait until the full documentary is out, I can understand.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1487 on: April 26, 2011, 02:21:48 PM »
I wonder if Dominici's psychic ability told him in advance that the band was gonna kick him to the curb two decades ago...

oh shi-

Wait--wasn't that Charlie driving the cab that took Mangini to the studio?

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1488 on: April 26, 2011, 02:25:06 PM »
i have one question.

did Mangini really take the cab to the hotel?

or was it just scenario?

cause, we had a cameraman there. at least they should have a car to take Mangini to the hotel.

if Mr.Wildoer kind enough and have time to answer this.

Sorry for my mass answers and not collecting them in one post, hope I don't break any rules!  :omg:

I know Mike took the train from Boston to NY and then most likely a cab to the hotel. I know that the camera team met Mike when he arrived. My wife and I also took a cab from the airport to the hotel. Since we arrived two days prior to the first audition day the film crew could not meet us. We stayed for almost a week to have some vacation to, not every day we're in NYC!  :)

Maybe a fun fact is that I saw when Mike got out of the cab at S.I.R. Studios where the auditions were held since I was there lurking and finding out where the studio were at. I was to intimidated to walk up to him.  :lol

Offline iamtheeviltwin

« Reply #1489 on: April 26, 2011, 02:26:09 PM »

Here you can download the video here....it is in FLV format (so you will need VLC or another similar player) and is a mobile version (ie small), but it works.  Just click on the link and save the file

The Link

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1490 on: April 26, 2011, 02:31:24 PM »

Here you can download the video here....it is in FLV format (so you will need VLC or another similar player) and is a mobile version (ie small), but it works.  Just click on the link and save the file

The Link

If this is OK with the mods I have the 720p version I can upload for those who cant view it :)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1491 on: April 26, 2011, 02:33:24 PM »
Sorry for my mass answers and not collecting them in one post, hope I don't break any rules!  :omg:
Yes how dare you, DON'T MAKE ME BAN YOU PETER!

I know Mike took the train from Boston to NY and then most likely a cab to the hotel. I know that the camera team met Mike when he arrived. My wife and I also took a cab from the airport to the hotel. Since we arrived two days prior to the first audition day the film crew could not meet us. We stayed for almost a week to have some vacation to, not every day we're in NYC!  :)

Maybe a fun fact is that I saw when Mike got out of the cab at S.I.R. Studios where the auditions were held since I was there lurking and finding out where the studio were at. I was to intimidated to walk up to him.  :lol
That makes a lot of sense, I guess it's somewhat further to travel for you than some (or all) of the others!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #1492 on: April 26, 2011, 02:34:32 PM »

By the way Nihil have you seen me perform Lalle Larsson's tune "Experiment" a few years ago at a drum clinic:

Cheers

That's some sick drumming. I enjoyed it. Thanks for posting it.

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1493 on: April 26, 2011, 02:38:39 PM »
What I noticed last night watching the first episdoe again is that Peter doesn't have much of a Swedish accent when he speaks English.  Not knowing what many of the drummers looked like (besides Priester), I thought he was Derek Roddy at first  :lol

So I guess it paid of paying attention on the english classes at school then!  :tup  ;)  Actually a lot of swedes talk okay accent due to the fact that we only have subtitles on movies and no audio dubbing into swedish.

Offline Cygnus7874

• Just Chillin
« Reply #1494 on: April 26, 2011, 02:44:12 PM »

Cheers

umm.....holy crap  :tup
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Offline Setebos

« Reply #1495 on: April 26, 2011, 02:46:49 PM »

The Link
Thanks mate, much appreciated! Quality is indeed not the best, but at this point I'm happy that I am able to watch it at all.  :hefdaddy

If this is OK with the mods I have the 720p version I can upload for those who cant view it :)
720p would be absolutely amazing. Please mods, say yes. :)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1496 on: April 26, 2011, 02:49:07 PM »

I don't see how he couldn't be even a little curious as to what the guys are doing without him. I'm guessing he at least watched the trailer. If he is watching, he probably feels more sad than anything else. Shit, I almost teared up at one point.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1497 on: April 26, 2011, 02:50:32 PM »

I don't see how he couldn't be even a little curious as to what the guys are doing without him. I'm guessing he at least watched the trailer. If he is watching, he probably feels more sad than anything else. Shit, I almost teared up at one point.

I was sad too; MP and DT were made for each other. But life goes on . . .

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1498 on: April 26, 2011, 02:54:43 PM »
If you ask me, Roddy has more of an accent than Peter  :lol

God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1499 on: April 26, 2011, 02:56:59 PM »
Hey, Peter.  I've tried to avoid asking you anything that I think might possibly be off limits.  I think this one might be okay, but feel free to ignore it if you think it might go too far:  I was wondering, how long was the audition altogether?  I know it must have been longer than the 8-minutes that was shown of Mr. Mangini's, but it's hard to tell from the edited film how long it actually took.  I'm guessing something like:

-Arrive, say hellos, and set up the kit the way you like it:  15 min.
-Warm up and fine tune the kit:  15 min.
-Play DT tunes:  30 min. (which assumes there isn't a whole lot of talking, etc. in between songs--or is there?)
-Talk for a few minutes about the jam tunes/new riff exercise, and then jam:  20 min.
-Verbal "interview":  30 min.

That's roughly 2 hours worth, which feels like it should be about right.  Can you share any details about how close that is to the actual?  Again, if not, or if you want to wait until the full documentary is out, I can understand.

Hey!

No worries asking whatever. I'll have to judge what I can answer and not I guess.

Between the start of every drummer audition there were four hours. That left enough time for the drummer to audition, talk and get interviewed. Also the DT guys had a talk after each drummer auditioned.

I was the last one auditioning so there were no one after me. This is roughly what happened at my audition:
Meet and great, 10 minutes
Drum setup, tuning etc. 30 minutes
Warmup, 10 minutes
Jam, 15 minutes (this was simply amazing!!! Here I was jamming with these guys)
Went through the three songs, 30 minutes
"Test", 15 minutes (but it felt like an hour, ha ha ha. No not really, was actually fun!)
Interview, small talk etc, almost an hour since there were no stress.
During this time I also hade some food from the buffé and then the pizza that according to JP was the best in NYC!  :)

I actually think all in all we were there for a bit more than three hours. Because of Static Impulse James and I talked a bit about that too. Also the manager and his wife are amazing persons and my wife and I talked a lot to the too.

All in all the whole audition was fantastic to say the least! Once again I have to say that all people involved were very very nice!!!

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1500 on: April 26, 2011, 02:57:05 PM »
I'd really pay a high price to see MP post some words about the auditions... unlikely to happen but it would be the cherry on the cake of this wonderful documentary.

Offline jsem

« Reply #1501 on: April 26, 2011, 02:59:39 PM »
"Test"... I wonder what that is...  :lol

I guess we'll just find out pretty soon   :metal

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1502 on: April 26, 2011, 02:59:55 PM »
Sorry for my mass answers and not collecting them in one post, hope I don't break any rules!  :omg:
Yes how dare you, DON'T MAKE ME BAN YOU PETER!

So I guess I'm out of here now then?  :omg:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 03:06:20 PM by Wildoer »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1503 on: April 26, 2011, 03:01:53 PM »

That's fine with me.  As long as it isn't being viewed through out site, it doesn't effect our bandwidth, so that's fine.

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1504 on: April 26, 2011, 03:05:53 PM »

That's fine with me.  As long as it isn't being viewed through out site, it doesn't effect our bandwidth, so that's fine.

:tup I'll get uploading now then!