Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 661219 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #1296 on: April 25, 2011, 06:54:30 PM »
Why not? As homo-erotic as we are here on DTF, I don't see why they can't give each other a manly kiss on the cheek.

I agree. That's the genre's nature.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1297 on: April 25, 2011, 06:55:17 PM »
Wait, where is this Macro Minneman post?

Offline Rafael Guerra

• DTF.org member
  • Personal Text.
« Reply #1298 on: April 25, 2011, 07:01:34 PM »
Finally got a chance to watch Part 1 after a long flight. Really liked the video and loved Mangini's audition. At first I thought he was being a little over the top, but I actually think it can be a good thing to have lots of energy coming from the drumkit again! I was a little concerned at that riff, it sounded a bit like a leftover of Raw Dog, but I don't know, I can't judge on 5 seconds of a riff. Anyhow, looking forward to watch the upcoming episodes.

@Peter Wildoer: Thanks a lot for adding me on FB and for taking questions in this thread!  :)
Crossing bridges in the sky.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1299 on: April 25, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
Oh my god, it's the reality TV editing, and it's terrible.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1300 on: April 25, 2011, 07:08:38 PM »
After watching this a few times, I just have to say I LOVE watching his playing on TDOE.  He's not only incredibly technically sound, but SO much fun to watch on it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1301 on: April 25, 2011, 07:20:05 PM »
Oh my god, it's the reality TV editing, and it's terrible.

Says the Jersey Shore fanatic. :p
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1302 on: April 25, 2011, 07:21:16 PM »
I'm so glad they at least told us when the next one is going to be. I don't have to hawk the board constantly now.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1303 on: April 25, 2011, 07:24:11 PM »
And he played on James'...stuff.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #1304 on: April 25, 2011, 07:29:07 PM »
Man, I can't believe how fast this is all happening now.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1305 on: April 25, 2011, 07:31:36 PM »
And he played on James'...stuff.

That kinda made me laugh  :lol
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1306 on: April 25, 2011, 07:44:04 PM »
OK, kill me, but I don't think I have seen Minnemann in this video or the trailer. :lol

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1307 on: April 25, 2011, 07:45:50 PM »
By the way I know that Donati holds the drumstick like that with his left hand - any of the other guys who do it as well (Lang?)?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1308 on: April 25, 2011, 07:47:07 PM »
A couple thoughts:

- I really hate the reality style editing.  By far the biggest thing that drags it down.  When the doc breathes for a moment and people actually talk it's great, but most of the time it cuts between establishing shots and comments about things we already get.  Blech.  The worst moment was when they started playing Nightmare.  I felt the tension in the air, and then they cut in narration so it was sufficiently noisy.   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(  But enough complaining.

- Something that really stuck out about Mangini's handling of the DT songs - the articulation of the individual notes was far more noticeable.  

- From a drumming standpoint, it felt really really right.  There were a lot of elements of MP's style in there, but you felt like someone new was behind the kit.  The biggest thing is how well he fit in pretty much instantly.  Like Rudess said, he made them feel more comfortable (Metallica also said something like this about Trujillo).  He wasn't just playing the drum parts like he heard them on the DT, he was doing what a drummer's supposed to and setting the tone of the performance.  Being able to come up with that improvised thing at the end of TDOE couldn't have hurt him either.  I chucked at him counting the song off as he played it.

- He did really well during the "come up with a beat" part.  He found all the points of tension in a really really weird riff.  Not a perfect beat, but then again listen to some of MP's rough beats on the demos and making of albums.  Everything needs time to come together fully.  Based on having no time, it's a very good job.

- Personality-wise he fit in really really well.  He had right the right amount of deference and pure enthusiasm.  But when the time was right he turned on his swagger and it meshed right in.  It's a little thing, but the single-hand drum roll with the stick twirl at the beginning of TDOE is a statement.  We'll see what happens in these auditions, but it's reasonable to believe some of the guys might either be too deferential and just go with the flow of being there, or they might try to hard to assert themselves and it might not mesh.  Mangini put it all on the table personally and it meshed flawlessly.  If he is the guy, then I see why it happened.  At the end of the auditions, it felt like JP/JR/JLB/JM were saying there were seven other guys in part to remind themselves of it.  Mangini just seemed relentlessly like the right guy.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1309 on: April 25, 2011, 07:48:28 PM »
OK, kill me, but I don't think I have seen Minnemann in this video or the trailer. :lol

He appears at the beginning of the drummers rehearsing and at the preview of the next cap.  :hat
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Aniland

« Reply #1310 on: April 25, 2011, 07:48:52 PM »

Cookie monster bro

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1311 on: April 25, 2011, 07:49:49 PM »
This is really cool! I liked the first episode a lot and have really kind of warmed up to Mangini now.

However, the biggest negative I have for this is the use of TBOT. It just doesn't feel right.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1312 on: April 25, 2011, 07:51:18 PM »

Watching it again, Marco had the Cookie Monster shirt on from what people said (I could've sworn that was Lang)...so who was Lang? And phone?

Edit: Yeah, helps to watch it again

Edit 2: Watching the trailer again, it really seems like Mangini is the drummer the trailer focuses in on the most. Might be looking into it too much.

Offline JasonScandopolous

« Reply #1313 on: April 25, 2011, 07:55:00 PM »
This is really cool! I liked the first episode a lot and have really kind of warmed up to Mangini now.

However, the biggest negative I have for this is the use of TBOT. It just doesn't feel right.

TBOT?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1314 on: April 25, 2011, 07:55:45 PM »

TBOT?

Transsexual roBOT

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #1315 on: April 25, 2011, 07:55:56 PM »
This has probably been said, but: It will be a three part series, next part will be posted Wednesday.

I hope they give each guy fairly equal time. I know most people won't want to see each song played by every guy (though most of us probably would).

Also, this sets up for a damn nice DVD, full documentary with extra stuff included, and the full first show with the new drummer. :hat

Offline Aniland

« Reply #1316 on: April 25, 2011, 08:00:00 PM »
I expect the other two to be the same general length; considering that the first audition showed us the process, the rest of the guys will probably have about six to seven minutes each, with the last episode having a couple of extra minutes to show who got the gig.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1317 on: April 25, 2011, 08:02:02 PM »
Transsexual roBOT
:lol

Jason: The Best Of Times
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1318 on: April 25, 2011, 08:03:34 PM »
The best of times with a tranny robot

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #1319 on: April 25, 2011, 08:03:43 PM »
This is going to be 3 parts?

I feel like that's not enough for 6 drummers...  Mangini had one full episode  :-\

Anyway still pumped for episode 2 on Wednesday  :corn

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1320 on: April 25, 2011, 08:05:32 PM »
Well, Mangini had about 8-9 minutes tops...plus they were introducing everything. Things will probably speed up from here, and/or the next 2 parts will be a bit longer to accommodate the 3 per episode and the grand finale.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #1321 on: April 25, 2011, 08:07:49 PM »
Yeah, they talked about Mike in this one too, so that's done with.

Oh, was there actually something inside that "drum" they had to break in their gift bag?

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1322 on: April 25, 2011, 08:09:03 PM »
I thought that Mangini seemed kinda nervous when he first walked in the room, and everyone's like "hey Mike" and he's just kinda standing there, shuffling around.  But he totally blew everyone away, apparently, and while I initially hoped it was Thomas Lang, I think Mangini fits really well.

However, based on various things I've kinda picked up on, like Wildoer saying he didn't audition when he did, and the Blabbermouth stuff, the mysterious "best audition yet" comment, and now the Minneman comment, that there are definitely a couple curveballs out there, a couple red herrings, possibly intentional.  I wonder if Mangini really is the drummer like everyone thinks.  If it was so obvious.....I don't think they'd continue to hype it up if we already knew the outcome.

Also, it's kinda funny the DT guys are like, "Wow, we get to play with these amazing world class drummers, this is a dream come true!" and the auditionees are like "Whoa, we have to audition for Dream Theater?  I'm soooo nervous!"  It's pretty funny, in a way.  Everyone is way too humble for their own good.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1323 on: April 25, 2011, 08:12:34 PM »
^Well, they had this planned for a long while, and the secret is not totally out or undeniably but unofficially true, so the doc is doing well. And we should know the drummer this week (cool to say that).

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1324 on: April 25, 2011, 08:15:36 PM »
I thought that Mangini seemed kinda nervous when he first walked in the room, and everyone's like "hey Mike" and he's just kinda standing there, shuffling around.  But he totally blew everyone away, apparently, and while I initially hoped it was Thomas Lang, I think Mangini fits really well.

However, based on various things I've kinda picked up on, like Wildoer saying he didn't audition when he did, and the Blabbermouth stuff, the mysterious "best audition yet" comment, and now the Minneman comment, that there are definitely a couple curveballs out there, a couple red herrings, possibly intentional.  I wonder if Mangini really is the drummer like everyone thinks.  If it was so obvious.....I don't think they'd continue to hype it up if we already knew the outcome.

Also, it's kinda funny the DT guys are like, "Wow, we get to play with these amazing world class drummers, this is a dream come true!" and the auditionees are like "Whoa, we have to audition for Dream Theater?  I'm soooo nervous!"  It's pretty funny, in a way.  Everyone is way too humble for their own good.

It's actually pretty amazing. These guys are good on a level most people don't know exists, and they are so humble. Then you look at a guy like John Mayer, who is good, but not inconceivably good, and he's so full of himself.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline MemoryScenes

« Reply #1325 on: April 25, 2011, 08:26:37 PM »

What's funny about this...?

Anyways, It's great to finally get some footage. Mangini is a beast, love that one handed opening to DoE.

Offline scoutmasterdave

« Reply #1326 on: April 25, 2011, 08:28:35 PM »
It would be hilarious if Marco's FB comment was posted intentionally just to throw us all off from the fact that he's the new drummer.  Certainly not very likely, especially since the comment has been removed, but that scenario would make me laugh pretty hard.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1327 on: April 25, 2011, 08:29:05 PM »

What's funny about this...?

Anyways, It's great to finally get some footage. Mangini is a beast, love that one handed opening to DoE.

I wonder if that's intentional? Minneman, judging by his FB post, seems to be kinda sour about the whole thing. I wonder if he's not the one who was the 'source' behind that sick drummer magazine article?

Offline MemoryScenes

« Reply #1328 on: April 25, 2011, 08:32:50 PM »
One of the rumors thrown around here was that Minnemann was actually chosen, but later declined.. (a la Rudess). That rumor also ended with Mangini getting the nod.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1329 on: April 25, 2011, 08:34:23 PM »
- I really hate the reality style editing.  By far the biggest thing that drags it down.  When the doc breathes for a moment and people actually talk it's great, but most of the time it cuts between establishing shots and comments about things we already get.  Blech.  The worst moment was when they started playing Nightmare.  I felt the tension in the air, and then they cut in narration so it was sufficiently noisy.   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(  But enough complaining.
I agree.  It's funny.  Now that I no longer watch any broadcast television, I've lost any tolerance I might have once had for annoying shit.  I hate commercials more than I ever did, and the bogus melodrama that has to be in every single program now makes me want to hurl.  There were 10 things in that 20 minutes that made me cringe.  I just want to see what happened.  I don't want to see soap opera theatrics.  
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson