Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 661064 times)

Offline TheMadgician

Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #1260 on: April 25, 2011, 04:37:00 PM »
It seems hard to believe that's actually Marco saying that. When you see him preparing for the auditions in the video, he seems to happy and excited about all that's going on. Sure, that was some time ago and a lot has happened since then, But that's a big reversal of feelings.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #1261 on: April 25, 2011, 04:37:47 PM »
My initial thought about a documentary released in pieces was kind of negative.  But DT has definately pulled it off!  I'm so stinkin excited to see all of the drummers. Mike Mangini seems really cool, I know I won't be disappointed if it's him.  Watching the doc did make me a little sad about Portnoy.  He is totally my favorite drummer, it's too bad (IMO) that he wanted to bow out of DT.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1262 on: April 25, 2011, 04:38:16 PM »
Depends. If he didn't give permission as he says, then I'd say he has every right to be upset.
Well, they legally wouldn't be able to release it if he hadn't given permission, so I think we can discount that. It's possible that it was included with lots of other stuff about the filming that he signed (he will have signed something and he will have obviously know that it was being filmed as he'd have seen the cameras) but I don't see what else he would have expected.

But aside from that, writing them off as "silly soap opera" episodes while they're still in the process of being shown would be a lame thing to do, regardless of whether he was justified or not, and I think any decent person would have at least waited before saying something that bitchy. And that is why I am sceptical that it's a real account. :P

What I was thinking happened is he was assuming the footage could be used on a bonus disc on the new DVD. He probably didn't guess they'd make mini-webisodes out of it, and maybe that is what he didn't give his approval over, even though he might have already handed over any rights to the footage from the sessions.

But honestly, I don't even see why he'd have a problem with that. The trailer made it look ridiculously stupid, but I quite enjoyed the first episode. It wasn't over the top or anything, it was pretty much like any of the other documentaries on their DVDs.

But I agree, it wasn't a very professional thing to do.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1263 on: April 25, 2011, 04:39:29 PM »
You guys are assuming way too much about the comment.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1264 on: April 25, 2011, 04:42:32 PM »
I think the whole documentary thing is awesome! I am saddened by the fact that my wish for Bobby J to be the new drummer will not come to pass. As for technical ability, I think any of those who auditioned would have the chops to pull this off. Chemistry is the one factor we really cannot speculate on, but as far as creativity (subjective I know), I think Preister, or Roddy have the edge there.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Lotion

« Reply #1265 on: April 25, 2011, 04:44:00 PM »
Marcos post is deleted now though

Offline Tunnel Vision

« Reply #1266 on: April 25, 2011, 04:45:14 PM »
I think that is Marco's real account tho...IIRC, Mike Portnoy's personal facebook account is friends with that specific Marco account.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1267 on: April 25, 2011, 04:59:49 PM »
I really like Mangini's personality and the way he plays the songs in this episode. I'm really pulling for him to get the spot!  :corn
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1268 on: April 25, 2011, 05:02:03 PM »
That was just spectacular!  Mangini has so much zest and energy... I think he would be a great fit, he really seems to want to be a part of DT!!  I also love that we are getting a glimpse of what the guys can do "Fan wise" without MP.  Can't wait too see the rest of this production!!!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1269 on: April 25, 2011, 05:04:20 PM »
At this point, I'm fine with any drummer so long as their personal chemistry with the rest of the band is good. :)
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline lithium112

« Reply #1270 on: April 25, 2011, 05:05:45 PM »
I think the whole documentary thing is awesome! I am saddened by the fact that my wish for Bobby J to be the new drummer will not come to pass. As for technical ability, I think any of those who auditioned would have the chops to pull this off. Chemistry is the one factor we really cannot speculate on, but as far as creativity (subjective I know), I think Preister, or Roddy have the edge there.

That's an interesting opinion re: who would be most creative. Based on some of the main bands they previously played in (e.g. Angra and Hate Eternal) I would say they would be least likely to be creative. Power-metal and death metal seem to be more straight-forward from a drumming perspective.

But on the other hand, by playing differing genres (esp Roddy) they could bring more diversity to DT.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1271 on: April 25, 2011, 05:06:05 PM »
Just watched it.  Fantastic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1272 on: April 25, 2011, 05:22:40 PM »
To those knocking it I would say this.
This is not a good, but a brilliant marketing strategy on Dream Theaters part. Not only are they energizing the fan base tremendously, but in addition they are making the new drummer already a real entity the fans feel they know before he ever takes the stage.
Pure brilliance, indeed.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #1273 on: April 25, 2011, 05:23:12 PM »
At about 19:00 there appears to be someone with a camera phone in the background.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1274 on: April 25, 2011, 05:23:34 PM »
wildoer is doing some hardcore lurking. seen him on the active list all day. awesome

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1275 on: April 25, 2011, 05:26:18 PM »
wildoer is doing some hardcore lurking. seen him on the active list all day. awesome
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1276 on: April 25, 2011, 05:32:48 PM »
This doc is really well done.  Can't wait to see the other drummers.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1277 on: April 25, 2011, 05:37:11 PM »

lol

It must be incredibly fun watching people speculate about things when you're on the other side of the fence and you know all the answers. :lol Hell, if I were Peter, I'd be doing the same thing. It must be entertaining.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1278 on: April 25, 2011, 05:47:56 PM »
Just watched it, this is really fantastic.  Tick is right, this is pure brilliance on DT's part.  Awesome first episode, can't wait to see the rest.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1279 on: April 25, 2011, 05:48:03 PM »
Strange that this comment from Marco was deleted.  I hope it is a fake account so there's still a chance of him being the new drummer.  However, if he's doing a project with JP and JR, I might shit myself with joy.  

Any news on whether its his official page, Ricky?  Seems a bit odd that a personal account named Marco Minnemann has close to 5000 friends while the musicans page has 2000-something...

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #1280 on: April 25, 2011, 05:55:10 PM »
That is not Marco Minnemann's personal facebook. It is just a created "band/musician" page. Whether it is the "official" band/musician page, I do not know, but I am "friended" on his account and that is not it.

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #1281 on: April 25, 2011, 05:58:16 PM »
That is not Marco Minnemann's personal facebook. It is just a created "band/musician" page. Whether it is the "official" band/musician page, I do not know, but I am "friended" on his account and that is not it.

EDIT: His personal account "likes" that page.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #1282 on: April 25, 2011, 05:58:28 PM »
I am crazy excited about this now. I'm actually listening to DT for the first time in quite a while. This was really a brilliant move to stoke up us old DT fans and hopefully win over some new ones. Can't wait for the rest.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #1283 on: April 25, 2011, 06:07:57 PM »
Wait, help me out there. Will the band announce the drummer in the 3rd episode? And will the 3rd episode be here by Friday?

Also, about James' comment in the end of the episode - even if he actually talks about a drummer being "the best so far", I don't worry about it. Obviously all these drummers can play really great, but like you all know, they said they chose the drummer both by skills and chemistry.

By the way, remember how James talked about Mangini being his drummer in some of his solo albums? Imagine how it'd be look in Peter's audition: "Oh yeah, he played drums in one of my solo albums too. These loyal folks are all my trained pirates arrrrrrr"

(Sorry, I suck at pirate language XP)

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #1284 on: April 25, 2011, 06:10:05 PM »
James post posted on FB that he finished 3 tracks last week. whoops wrong thread, sorry
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1285 on: April 25, 2011, 06:11:04 PM »
James post posted on FB that he finished 3 tracks last week.

Damn, beat me to it. :lol

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #1286 on: April 25, 2011, 06:11:57 PM »
James post posted on FB that he finished 3 tracks last week.

Damn, beat me to it. :lol
hehe, and by accident i posted it in the wrong topic LOL. :rollin
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1287 on: April 25, 2011, 06:13:20 PM »
Wait, help me out there. Will the band announce the drummer in the 3rd episode? And will the 3rd episode be here by Friday?

Also, about James' comment in the end of the episode - even if he actually talks about a drummer being "the best so far", I don't worry about it. Obviously all these drummers can play really great, but like you all know, they said they chose the drummer both by skills and chemistry.

By the way, remember how James talked about Mangini being his drummer in some of his solo albums? Imagine how it'd be look in Peter's audition: "Oh yeah, he played drums in one of my solo albums too. These loyal folks are all my trained pirates arrrrrrr"

(Sorry, I suck at pirate language XP)

Yeah, it will be announced. This has been confirmed.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1288 on: April 25, 2011, 06:16:27 PM »
Hey, I just noticed when viewing the footage of NYC...did anyone notice that the sky was clear and frigid?  The air was thick and stll?

You know, I'm not one to soon forget but I guess I always will remember that these were the best of times.

I think you took that one a little two far.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1289 on: April 25, 2011, 06:21:42 PM »
I figure it was only a matter of time. ::)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1290 on: April 25, 2011, 06:26:45 PM »
OK, I just noticed that Mangini and Jordan gave each other a cheek kiss at 19:45.  I can't see it too well from the camera angle, but i heard it.  Is it just me?  Maybe I'm mishearing.

Anyway, no cheek kisses in DT!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1291 on: April 25, 2011, 06:30:31 PM »
Why not? As homo-erotic as we are here on DTF, I don't see why they can't give each other a manly kiss on the cheek.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1292 on: April 25, 2011, 06:33:57 PM »
Why not? As homo-erotic as we are here on DTF, I don't see why they can't give each other a manly kiss on the cheek.

(Mebert78 cover his cheeks and inches away from Gadough.)
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline unspoken

« Reply #1293 on: April 25, 2011, 06:35:32 PM »
........ what is the 3rd test? JP said to Mike "you passed all three tests! The song test, the jam test, <cut>".

rumborak

The spitting test....

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1294 on: April 25, 2011, 06:38:35 PM »
OK, I just noticed that Mangini and Jordan gave each other a cheek kiss at 19:45.  I can't see it too well from the camera angle, but i heard it.  Is it just me?  Maybe I'm mishearing.

Anyway, no cheek kisses in DT!

(Taken from SeRoX, hence the "BANNED")