Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 661264 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #1225 on: April 25, 2011, 03:40:27 PM »
I would agree. In fact, I would expect that not all 7 auditions went as gloriously as MM's audition. So, by choosing the footage they show they can still show every person in the best light possible.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1226 on: April 25, 2011, 03:41:42 PM »
The good news is I guess that all drummer showed up. I remember my band telling me that I was the first guitarist to actually show up. All the others had bailed out a day or two before :lol Playing Dream Theater is intimidating!

rumborak

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #1227 on: April 25, 2011, 03:43:36 PM »
I would just like to add I was so impressed with how the band handled the topic of Mike's leaving during the interview. They did it with total class.

Never once did they insult or talk bad about him in the interview (not that I would expect them too), they just did the interview with such poise.

Props to those guys, they have handled what could have been a potential PR nightmare so well.

edits all over the place.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1228 on: April 25, 2011, 03:44:04 PM »
I would agree. In fact, I would expect that not all 7 auditions went as gloriously as MM's audition. So, by choosing the footage they show they can still show every person in the best light possible.

rumborak

Agreed, by picking and choosing what gets shown, they can make sure everyone looks good.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1229 on: April 25, 2011, 03:44:43 PM »
The first episode was pretty cool, but I was hoping to see a little more footage of them just jamming out on new material. I guess if some of that stuff is gonna be on the new album, they don't want it getting out though (assuming the riffs they prepared were for the new album).

I'm also glad it wasn't corny like the trailer made it out to look.  :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1230 on: April 25, 2011, 03:46:46 PM »
I don't think this was new album material. Frankly, it sounded a bit like a constructed riff just in order to test the drummer's ability to jam on weird stuff.

rumborak

Offline thyer

« Reply #1231 on: April 25, 2011, 03:51:45 PM »
I hope in Donati...It's not Marco...from is facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marco...nn/60833133772

hi, no I'm not DTs drummer:-). But I did work with Jordan on the "musical mind meld", and we have plans for a trio project with John P and Jordan together. And I'm sorry I ended up being unwillingly dragged into these imo silly soap opera DT episodes, haha. I really didn't want that and wasn't asked for approval. Love to all of ya:-)

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1232 on: April 25, 2011, 03:53:14 PM »
welp, i guess all of them werent cool with this

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #1233 on: April 25, 2011, 03:53:42 PM »
damn, so minnemann it out.

i guess all points towards mangini now.

edit -assuming that's his official facebook. give me a sec to verify.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1234 on: April 25, 2011, 03:55:24 PM »
Well shit. I was hoping for Minnemann. Oh well, Mangini was my second pick.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1235 on: April 25, 2011, 03:56:37 PM »
I still have no idea why anyone is describing it as "soap opera" or "reality TV". It's just showing things as they happened, like any documentary. I guess some people hate anything that is at all dramatic.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ronrule

« Reply #1236 on: April 25, 2011, 03:56:51 PM »
MIGHT AS WELL MAKE IT AUTHENTIC

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1237 on: April 25, 2011, 03:57:14 PM »
so some approved, and some didnt?

weird

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1238 on: April 25, 2011, 03:57:50 PM »
Are we sure that is an actual quote from Marco?  Maybe that isn't his real facebook page?  He does not have that page listed on his official website.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1239 on: April 25, 2011, 03:57:56 PM »
Well yeah, Rich. I think everyone is just still mad about this being dragged out so much. They could have just announced the drummer months ago and been done with it.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #1240 on: April 25, 2011, 03:59:06 PM »
so some approved, and some didnt?

weird

yeah, its a bit weird isnt it? didnt want to be part of the "soap opera", wasnt asked for approval yet has already played with JR and is doing something in the future with JR and JP so he must have got on well enough with the band.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1241 on: April 25, 2011, 03:59:16 PM »
By "soap opera," he may simply be referring to all the collective drama about Mike's departure, the drummer search, and the holdup on disclosing who was picked.  I don't think he is necessarily referring to the documentary.

(and I wouldn't be surprised if he were also just throwing stuff out there to throw us off the trail; as I've said before, I think I know who it is.  But as far as the evidence that is out there, there is only one drummer I can say with absolute certainty is definitely "out")
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #1242 on: April 25, 2011, 04:00:03 PM »
Are we sure that is an actual quote from Marco?  Maybe that isn't his real facebook page?  He does not have that page listed on his official website.

+1.

I looked for it on his official website, but I couldn't find anything. I'll keep looking for some form of verification though, if there is one, just give me a minute

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1243 on: April 25, 2011, 04:01:05 PM »
Quote from: Marco Minnemann
and we have plans for a trio project with John P and Jordan together

Pants. Soiled.

rumborak

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1244 on: April 25, 2011, 04:02:34 PM »
By "soap opera," he may simply be referring to all the collective drama about Mike's departure, the drummer search, and the holdup on disclosing who was picked.  I don't think he is necessarily referring to the documentary.

(and I wouldn't be surprised if he were also just throwing stuff out there to throw us off the trail; as I've said before, I think I know who it is.  But as far as the evidence that is out there, there is only one drummer I can say with absolute certainty is definitely "out")
Possibly, although the "soap opera DT episodes" seems pretty obviously about the documentary.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1245 on: April 25, 2011, 04:02:55 PM »
I told ya...Part 2 on Wednesday and part 3 on Friday.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jsem

« Reply #1246 on: April 25, 2011, 04:03:19 PM »

+1.

I looked for it on his official website, but I couldn't find anything. I'll keep looking for some form of verification though, if there is one, just give me a minute
Also, didn't Peter Wildoer say that he wasn't auditioning then info came out that he WAS auditioning anyway? Could be the same thing here... I'm still hoping for Marco lol

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #1247 on: April 25, 2011, 04:03:33 PM »
By "soap opera," he may simply be referring to all the collective drama about Mike's departure, the drummer search, and the holdup on disclosing who was picked.  I don't think he is necessarily referring to the documentary.

(and I wouldn't be surprised if he were also just throwing stuff out there to throw us off the trail; as I've said before, I think I know who it is.  But as far as the evidence that is out there, there is only one drummer I can say with absolute certainty is definitely "out")

excuse my ignorance lol but who do u think is def. out and who do you think it is?

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #1248 on: April 25, 2011, 04:05:19 PM »

+1.

Also, didn't Peter Wildoer say that he wasn't auditioning then info came out that he WAS auditioning anyway? Could be the same thing here... I'm still hoping for Marco lol

I just emailed some people on Minnemann's official site, so hopefully they will give me an "official facebook" link. If so, we can rule out Minnemann, but not yet.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1249 on: April 25, 2011, 04:06:40 PM »
Have to say, if it IS him then those comments are a bit of a dickish move. For that reason, I hope it's a fake account, because he seems like a nice guy.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1250 on: April 25, 2011, 04:07:21 PM »
By "soap opera," he may simply be referring to all the collective drama about Mike's departure, the drummer search, and the holdup on disclosing who was picked.  I don't think he is necessarily referring to the documentary.

(and I wouldn't be surprised if he were also just throwing stuff out there to throw us off the trail; as I've said before, I think I know who it is.  But as far as the evidence that is out there, there is only one drummer I can say with absolute certainty is definitely "out")
Possibly, although the "soap opera DT episodes" seems pretty obviously about the documentary.

I'm not getting that, but whatever.

Hey, I just noticed when viewing the footage of NYC...did anyone notice that the sky was clear and frigid?  The air was thick and stll?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1251 on: April 25, 2011, 04:10:53 PM »
That Minnemann quote doesn't sound convincing at all. I don't think any drummer involved in this would refer to this stuff as "DT soap operas". It seems everyone is so excited to audition and play with the guys that it sounds almost ridiculous to say something like that.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline dvargas

« Reply #1252 on: April 25, 2011, 04:12:13 PM »
I can't seem to open it on a mobile device. There goes a wasted iPad2!

Wont be back home until tomorrow....

Offline TimmyHiggy

• Not the droid you are looking for
  • Maybe its just another drill?
« Reply #1253 on: April 25, 2011, 04:12:51 PM »
Just watched pt 1. Reactions:
-OMG Myung interview!
-Mangini is such a beast! He sounded like he was well on top of those songs and knew them all inside out. Great playing. With the quality of the auditionees though, I expect they will all sound incredible. Can't wait for pt 2.
i heard if you put bread in the rooof of your mouth it means oyu don't cvry when you're shoocppig ononsosni.
<br />/I vea aben told buy   spletn spencer adn timhiggy and that zletar guy to potost gcase imm drunk for the fist imeiiiiiiiiiiiii eoand evryoen ois mkaking funof eme :O(<br />
<br />

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1254 on: April 25, 2011, 04:16:22 PM »
i think the freaking out that john myung talked thing can finally go away. he talks when he wants to. we have heard his voice before, its not that weird

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1255 on: April 25, 2011, 04:21:05 PM »
Have to say, if it IS him then those comments are a bit of a dickish move. For that reason, I hope it's a fake account, because he seems like a nice guy.

Depends. If he didn't give permission as he says, then I'd say he has every right to be upset. But since it's not confirmed if that is an official account or not, it's hard to say. Although it does make me wonder if Marco/his camp was connected to the "unnamed source" in that other article, again, if that is actually his account. I know the other drummers have disputed that whole ordeal, but it is interesting nonetheless, since that would go hand in hand with what the article had to say (if memory serves me, don't have the article on hand). Could just be someone trolling though. I doubt the band would only notify some people that the footage would be used while not notifying the others, unless there was some miscommunication there. At any rate, it definitely sounds a little bit bitter.

Pretty sure the soap opera episodes IS a reference to the episodes they're putting up, but he could also be referring to the whole fiasco surrounding MP leaving/the fans overacting/being bombarded with questions etc. But who knows.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1256 on: April 25, 2011, 04:22:32 PM »
Hey, I just noticed when viewing the footage of NYC...did anyone notice that the sky was clear and frigid?  The air was thick and stll?

You know, I'm not one to soon forget but I guess I always will remember that these were the best of times.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1257 on: April 25, 2011, 04:26:05 PM »
Depends. If he didn't give permission as he says, then I'd say he has every right to be upset.
Well, they legally wouldn't be able to release it if he hadn't given permission, so I think we can discount that. It's possible that it was included with lots of other stuff about the filming that he signed (he will have signed something and he will have obviously know that it was being filmed as he'd have seen the cameras) but I don't see what else he would have expected.

But aside from that, writing them off as "silly soap opera" episodes while they're still in the process of being shown would be a lame thing to do, regardless of whether he was justified or not, and I think any decent person would have at least waited before saying something that bitchy. And that is why I am sceptical that it's a real account. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #1258 on: April 25, 2011, 04:28:30 PM »
Depends. If he didn't give permission as he says, then I'd say he has every right to be upset.
Well, they legally wouldn't be able to release it if he hadn't given permission, so I think we can discount that. It's possible that it was included with lots of other stuff about the filming that he signed (he will have signed something and he will have obviously know that it was being filmed as he'd have seen the cameras) but I don't see what else he would have expected.

But aside from that, writing them off as "silly soap opera" episodes while they're still in the process of being shown would be a lame thing to do, regardless of whether he was justified or not, and I think any decent person would have at least waited before saying something that bitchy. And that is why I am sceptical that it's a real account. :P

jtlyk ariich, im still waiting for verification from his site. when or if i do find out, ill let you know. until then, I agree with you, and think we should assume that the listed facebook is unofficial.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1259 on: April 25, 2011, 04:30:04 PM »
i hope that isnt his account. dont really like that comment