Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 661100 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #1190 on: April 25, 2011, 02:12:56 PM »
I really hope footage of the full auditions is made available eventually, it seems a waste to have footage of these amazing drummers jamming and only seeing short clips.

I agree.  They should sell this as a DVD and include bonus footage of the complete auditions.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #1191 on: April 25, 2011, 02:18:28 PM »
Uh...that clip is from A Nightmare To Remember.

It is?

Welp. I'm going to go re-listen to ANTR and not be such an idiot.
Good day.

Offline erik16

• The one on the right
« Reply #1192 on: April 25, 2011, 02:30:34 PM »
Can anyone confirm if the music bit at around 16:20 is new material? Because it sounded awesome? Truly melodic prog metal!

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1193 on: April 25, 2011, 02:35:49 PM »
It's These Walls.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #1194 on: April 25, 2011, 02:36:27 PM »
Can anyone confirm if the music bit at around 16:20 is new material? Because it sounded awesome? Truly melodic prog metal!

wasnt it the end of These Walls? if I am listening in the right place!

Offline erik16

• The one on the right
« Reply #1195 on: April 25, 2011, 02:39:02 PM »
Damn, need to listen to it then.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1196 on: April 25, 2011, 02:39:45 PM »
I like how at about 16:40, Joran is throwing all these time signatures at him, and you can tell he's like, "Crap, I really want to write this down, but I don't want to look stupid," and then when Jordan says "You wanna right this down?" you can visibly see the relief on his face.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1197 on: April 25, 2011, 02:40:56 PM »
Hey there!

I found my way out of the shadows and no more lurking.

What a great video clip!!! I almost got as nervous as I was in NYC again just by watching!   :lol  Mangini totally nailed it and I enjoyed every second of it. He's amazing and what a personality! He definitely set the bar high there.

Haha I wonder what they played during Mike's Day after day section is ANTR :neverusethis:

maybe that's why marco wore the cookie monster t-shirt

.... you could actually be right about that, which would be pretty funny.
Would be epic if Peter Wildoer actually did the Day after day, with REAL GROWLS.  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Anyway, I couldn't be more stoked about this now... this documentary is epic

I actually rehearsed that part with growls as I knew the guys heard me on Static Impulse. When at the audition there were no microphone available that went to our in ears so we just skipped it. Would have been cool though. :)

Looking forward to the next episode already!!!

Cheers,
Peter

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #1198 on: April 25, 2011, 02:41:43 PM »
hi pete <3

thanks for the info, bro.

too add, i never realized you probably never had any insight as to how the other auditions went, so this documentary is probably pretty interesting to you, too.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1199 on: April 25, 2011, 02:44:10 PM »
Man, Peter is such an awesome guy. Just imagine having him both as a math and drum teacher :metal
I can't wait to see the rest of the documentary.
Hopefully we will see more drumming and less talking.

Offline chrisgazpacho

« Reply #1200 on: April 25, 2011, 02:49:33 PM »
Awesome, awesome clip.  I have thought since MP leaving the biggest thing the band would miss is the live setting.  Mangini I think can fill those shoes.  Man the guy is crazy!  Love his energy.  I would be happy if he get's the job.

I wonder why the other auditions are in a different studio.  Maybe these 3 days of auditions were far apart scheduling wise.  Seems strange to set everything up and then move it the next day.

Anyhow, can't wait for the rest of the doc!

Offline Loser1

« Reply #1201 on: April 25, 2011, 02:51:29 PM »
Just checked out installment #1. Nope I'm not here to slam it like I did the trailer (which I still think is cheesy). So yea, I guess I'm eating some of my words, at least for now. I thought the first installment was good and to the point documentary style production. I'm still bummed about the no Portnoy reality, but this segment sorta took me hook, line and sinker. I'll be watching for more.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1202 on: April 25, 2011, 02:52:58 PM »
I like how at about 16:40, Joran is throwing all these time signatures at him, and you can tell he's like, "Crap, I really want to write this down, but I don't want to look stupid," and then when Jordan says "You wanna right this down?" you can visibly see the relief on his face.  :lol

Haha.  Yup!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1203 on: April 25, 2011, 02:55:13 PM »
God. I was happy with Mangini before but this just doubled my enthusiasm.
This. An incredible first part, I am so incredibly excited about this documentary.  :metal

Not only did Myung speak, but he smiled too! :hefdaddy
That was incredible. Go Myung!  :hefdaddy

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1204 on: April 25, 2011, 02:58:51 PM »
Great cliffhanger ending again
JLB to JP:
- That was the most incredible...By far!  ::)

Offline lithium112

« Reply #1205 on: April 25, 2011, 03:03:28 PM »
Great cliffhanger ending again
JLB to JP:
- That was the most incredible...By far!  ::)

Yeah, I know!! Either that's some sneaky editing or does it suggest Mangini's not the guy? I'm super excited either way!!!

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1206 on: April 25, 2011, 03:04:34 PM »
Awesome, awesome clip.  I have thought since MP leaving the biggest thing the band would miss is the live setting.  Mangini I think can fill those shoes.  Man the guy is crazy!  Love his energy.  I would be happy if he get's the job.

I wonder why the other auditions are in a different studio.  Maybe these 3 days of auditions were far apart scheduling wise.  Seems strange to set everything up and then move it the next day.

I think it's safe to comment on this. Auditions were moved the second day to another room but at the same place, S.I.R. Studios. Don't know the reason but I think it was because the new room was bigger.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1207 on: April 25, 2011, 03:06:43 PM »
I just assumed they couldn't use the same room for more than a day or else the amount of awesome coming from behind the drum kit would destroy it.  They just don't build 'em to withstand so much awesome for prolonged periods of time!
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1208 on: April 25, 2011, 03:09:27 PM »
I just assumed they couldn't use the same room for more than a day or else the amount of awesome coming from behind the drum kit would destroy it.  They just don't build 'em to withstand so much awesome for prolonged periods of time!
Probably  ;)

Offline Bruinsfan25

« Reply #1209 on: April 25, 2011, 03:11:04 PM »
Does anyone else get the vibe that Mangini genuinely wants to be in DT?

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1210 on: April 25, 2011, 03:13:58 PM »
Does anyone else get the vibe that Mangini genuinely wants to be in DT?

Well, he has stated that himself in the video. Whether it was meant genuinely or as a joke is a different question, of course. But yes, I agree with you, there was definitely a motivation to prove himself well enough to be accepted as the new drummer.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!
« Reply #1211 on: April 25, 2011, 03:17:53 PM »
When they ran through ANTR for the audition, did JLB sing along? If you listen to the vocals, they are not from the studio recording on BC&SL. Maybe they took his vocals from a live show and dubbed them in? What do you guys think?

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1212 on: April 25, 2011, 03:19:37 PM »
There was a mic in the room. I'm pretty sure he sang along.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1213 on: April 25, 2011, 03:20:09 PM »
I think he sang along, his mic stand was there.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1214 on: April 25, 2011, 03:20:41 PM »
No, I think he sang.  A lot of the emotion of a song is conveyed by the singer, and you wouldn't really get the full feel of the song and how a drummer fit in if you didn't have your singer.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #1215 on: April 25, 2011, 03:21:02 PM »

I think it's safe to comment on this. Auditions were moved the second day to another room but at the same place, S.I.R. Studios. Don't know the reason but I think it was because the new room was bigger.

probably. from seeing the video, the original audition space was set up in a very deliberate and complex way (gear everywhere, recording stuff etc) and it shows they weren't taking the auditions lightly. So for them to make the conscious decision to move to another venue, there must have been a serious reason why - most likely lack of space (as you said), acoustics, etc.  
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1216 on: April 25, 2011, 03:21:18 PM »
:lol

Another one I noticed from MP speaking in 2007 - "We've been together more than half our lives, and we've shared an entire lifetime together"

wat

Actually, five guys spending half of their lives together would be more like two and a half entire lifetimes. ;) :lol

But we'd still have to adjust for JLB and JR's late arrivals. :biggrin:

Offline Metropolis Pt. II

• DT.net Member
  • Let's roll!
« Reply #1217 on: April 25, 2011, 03:24:51 PM »
No, I think he sang.  A lot of the emotion of a song is conveyed by the singer, and you wouldn't really get the full feel of the song and how a drummer fit in if you didn't have your singer.

Well he sang quite well, then! It sounded spectacular.

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1218 on: April 25, 2011, 03:30:16 PM »
JLB did sing along, it was all live.

Yeah, they had A LOT of gear and the bigger room was big enough for both gear and all the people in there (almost 20 persons in the room when I auditioned) and also included a huge catering that I could not eat of before the audition because I was so nervous, ha ha ha...   :lol  But after I ate a lot and the guys ordered pizza that according to JP was the best in NYC! Tasted great!!!  :tup

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1219 on: April 25, 2011, 03:30:27 PM »
Yeah, I have to add that James' performance in the audition blew my mind. Especially that ''...and I bet I never will.''  :metal

Offline changing_seasons

« Reply #1220 on: April 25, 2011, 03:32:53 PM »
Anyone think there will be a release of the entire audition process? Hopefully they recorded the sessions, being in a studio and all.
Tell about my brother
Tell them about me
The Count of Tuscany

Offline Aniland

« Reply #1221 on: April 25, 2011, 03:34:47 PM »
Next episode announced: Wednesday April 27th at 11 AM EST

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1222 on: April 25, 2011, 03:36:12 PM »
Peter, how was James' singing on The Dance Of Eternity?

Anyone think there will be a release of the entire audition process? Hopefully they recorded the sessions, being in a studio and all.

As much as people would love that, it's not likely, IMO.  In a process like that, there are lots of moments that are very private, and lots of moments where an auditionee may say/do something dumb just because of nerves.  I'm sure they want to keep a lot of that stuff "behind the curtain," so to speak.

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1223 on: April 25, 2011, 03:39:38 PM »

:rollin

I can tell you that James sounded GREAT during the audition!!!

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1224 on: April 25, 2011, 03:39:49 PM »

:lol