Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 661139 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #1120 on: April 25, 2011, 12:17:54 PM »
Mangini is a madman, and always has been. What you saw in the audition wasn't some schtick he put on, that's how he always is live. I saw him way back when with Extreme, and he put up one hell of a show.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline JasonScandopolous

« Reply #1121 on: April 25, 2011, 12:18:10 PM »
I listened to Static Impulse yesterday, Wildoer is pretty good... can't wait to see how he and all the others compare, i.e., wait to get off work so I can watch this damn video!!

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1122 on: April 25, 2011, 12:18:37 PM »
Mangini came off as TOO showy. Nothing wrong with being showy, but he looked like he was trying too hard

True, he was rather showy.  However I feel that in this situation you've gotta put it all out there.  He's gotta make himself memorable not only for drumming, but for being a good showman.  Just my opinion, though.
Yeah, he has to let them know 'who he is' and what he'd bring to a live performance and so on. Sure it seems a little over the top in a secluded studio...but on stage it'd come across pretty well. This video was/is amazing and really 'makes up for' (so to speak) the lack of drummer communication from DT. I guess all the tweets from JR and the gang about being patient and it'll be great were true.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1123 on: April 25, 2011, 12:19:51 PM »
You know, Priester is clearly a great guy, but man, his accent makes me think of a certain Zappa album.

rumborak

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1124 on: April 25, 2011, 12:21:18 PM »
Mangini is a madman, and always has been. What you saw in the audition wasn't some schtick he put on, that's how he always is live. I saw him way back when with Extreme, and he put up one hell of a show.

rumborak

That's cool.  I actually think that energy is good for DT because Petrucci and Myung are not overly emotional and energetic when they play.  So I think it's important for the drummer to have some energy like Mangini has shown.  I'm liking him!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1125 on: April 25, 2011, 12:22:38 PM »
...and Poland also keeps fings crossed for Priester  ;D

It's not Priester.
I know I know... :0 but I would want it to be...he perfect, when I heard Angra's Aurora Consurgens I have question in my mind "who the is their drummer??!!" love that kind of drumming, it would be very interesting to hear him on a new DT album, but as I said... I'm pretty sure that he IS NOT the person ;)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1126 on: April 25, 2011, 12:23:58 PM »
...and Poland also keeps fings crossed for Priester  ;D

It's not Priester.
I know I know... :0 but I would want it to be...he perfect, when I heard Angra's Aurora Consurgens I have question in my mind "who the is their drummer??!!" love that kind of drumming, it would be very interesting to hear him on a new DT album, but as I said... I'm pretty sure that he IS NOT the person ;)

But as I said earlier, I DO have a higher opinion of him and his drumming after these videos.  I'm looking forward to hearing his audition.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1127 on: April 25, 2011, 12:25:55 PM »
Me too :) I'm going to watch one more time now  :P

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1128 on: April 25, 2011, 12:26:56 PM »
The only one who totally strikes me out of place there is Donati. Very interested in seeing his audition.

rumborak

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1129 on: April 25, 2011, 12:27:25 PM »
Same here.  I know this really is a horrible reason to not want somebody in, but...  Donati looks really old in these videos.  
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #1130 on: April 25, 2011, 12:28:21 PM »
What I find interesting is that if the documentary is indeed three episodes long, almost one entire episode was devoted to Mangini.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1131 on: April 25, 2011, 12:29:08 PM »
I have a feeling that the 3 episodes will only be part of the doc.  And the entire full length version will come out later.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1132 on: April 25, 2011, 12:29:36 PM »
What I find interesting is that if the documentary is indeed three episodes long, almost one entire episode was devoted to Mangini.
Well, actually half of the episode I'd say. The first half was the Mike Portnoy recapitulation.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #1133 on: April 25, 2011, 12:30:31 PM »
Well, actually half of the episode I'd say. The first half was the Mike Portnoy recapitulation.

well yah, minus the intro type deal.

that leaves 2 episodes for the other six. idk, just thought i'd throw that out there.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1134 on: April 25, 2011, 12:32:05 PM »
There was a lack of thomas lang in that video.  It was mostly Mangini and Roddy.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #1135 on: April 25, 2011, 12:33:30 PM »

that leaves 2 episodes for the other six. idk, just thought i'd throw that out there.
That is interesting, actually. Maybe the final episode will be longer or something? Or Maybe this was really just constructed as a showcase for Mangini.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1136 on: April 25, 2011, 12:33:39 PM »
Same here.  I know this really is a horrible reason to not want somebody in, but...  Donati looks really old in these videos.  

Well, you're not the only one who thought that. I guess the disheveled look didn't exactly help :lol

rumborak

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1137 on: April 25, 2011, 12:33:53 PM »

Also, take into account Mangini's audition was the first one. I think that itself acknowledges a bit more of time.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline TL

« Reply #1138 on: April 25, 2011, 12:38:46 PM »

Also, take into account Mangini's audition was the first one. I think that itself acknowledges a bit more of time.
This. It's completely possible that whoever auditioned first was going to end up getting a bit more screentime, since the first audition is a good time to give the viewer an idea of the overall process.

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1139 on: April 25, 2011, 12:41:24 PM »
I've seen the 1st episode over and over now, and I also just watched the promo again.
I really wonder who James was talking about in the promo when he said: "Absolutely fenomenal. Like, he wasn't trying to play Dream Theater. He was being Dream Theater."
It seems like it's not Mangini (which I, of reasons unknown, thought it was when I saw it the first time), but it can also be from a "summary" or something when they're about to announce the new drummer.

Also: I think we will see Roddy, Priester and Minnemann in the next episode.
Also 2: I'm agreeing on what someone said about it being a bit scarcely with Mangini-drumming footage. Would've preferred less talking and more drumming, but REALLY awesome stuff nontheless! Can't wait for the next episodes!  :metal

Offline nikostheater

« Reply #1140 on: April 25, 2011, 12:43:07 PM »
It was so awesome!
I can't wait for the next episodes..
What a great way to keep us entertained and excited!
I am so pumped up right now..
Mangini was great btw.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1141 on: April 25, 2011, 12:49:34 PM »
Watched tiny bits at school but couldn't turn the sound on due to other people, but this is looking fantastic. And the preview for the next one looks awesome.

Offline Pantherize

« Reply #1142 on: April 25, 2011, 12:51:02 PM »
This whole thing is just unbelievably awesome. One thing I'm thankful for is MP setting the bar high when it came to extras and including the fans in stuff like this. I think it probably made them say, hmmm..what are we going to do that's good enough to let people know even though Mike isn't here, we're still going to be the DT our fans know and love and expect.   :tup to DT for letting us in on this process.  :metal

With all the wait time it was hard to believe James when he said it'd be worth the wait, but he was 110% right. I cannot imagine them handling this any better than they have. I'm excited as a fan, but I'm also excited for DT. Can you imagine how incredibly awesome it must have been for them? You can just see the energy.  7 really awesome and amazing drummers REALLY want to be in the band. And as high as Mangini set the bar, I'm sure all the other guys are going to be similarly impressive.

I think the other thing this video goes to show is how speculation just wasn't all that helpful. I mean you can Youtube guys all day long and look at their performances with other bands, and analyze the shit out of their "skills", but the bottom line is you can't tell how someone is going to fit with the band until they're sitting there with the other band members. I'd be willing to bet that most anyone ripping any of these candidates before we were able to see this is going to have a better impression after watching the audition footage. (Unless they're just still really against anyone replacing MP anyway).

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #1143 on: April 25, 2011, 12:59:36 PM »
well, it's official. at the end of the documentary, the new drummer will be revealed.

check your email. RR confirmed it.

straight from the RR email -

[DTthespiritcontinues]

Hi Everyone,

We wanted to take a minute to thank all of you who signed up and watched the trailer on Thursday. This is an incredibly exciting time for all of us and we know that the anticipation has been, well, uncomfortable to say the least!

Over the next few days we hope that you will enjoy this very special documentary we've put together which literally invites everyone into the rehearsal room during the audition process and ultimately reveals who we chose as the new drummer in Dream Theater.

This is unlike anything we've ever done before and we felt that this would be a unique way of sharing our experience with all of you as a sincere thank you to everyone who has listened to, believed in and supported DT throughout the years.

Beyond all the drama and presentation, it always comes back to the thing that unites us all: our common passion to create, perform and listen to great music! To that end we are in the studio working hard on our next album and can't wait to deliver it to the world and to see all of our friends on tour.

Until then, please go to Roadrunner's YouTube channel to begin watching the documentary now!

Much love,
Dream Theater

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1144 on: April 25, 2011, 01:00:17 PM »
Less than half in fact. But yeah it could be that the other episodes are longer, or that the editing for some drummers makes their slot shorter than the others. Plus, for the first one it will naturally be longer because it shows us what the process was as well as the drummer, whereas we pretty much know the process now. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1145 on: April 25, 2011, 01:01:25 PM »
well, it's official. at the end of the documentary, the new drummer will be revealed.

check your email. RR confirmed it.

straight from the RR email -

[DTthespiritcontinues]

Hi Everyone,

We wanted to take a minute to thank all of you who signed up and watched the trailer on Thursday. This is an incredibly exciting time for all of us and we know that the anticipation has been, well, uncomfortable to say the least!

Over the next few days we hope that you will enjoy this very special documentary we've put together which literally invites everyone into the rehearsal room during the audition process and ultimately reveals who we chose as the new drummer in Dream Theater.

This is unlike anything we've ever done before and we felt that this would be a unique way of sharing our experience with all of you as a sincere thank you to everyone who has listened to, believed in and supported DT throughout the years.

Beyond all the drama and presentation, it always comes back to the thing that unites us all: our common passion to create, perform and listen to great music! To that end we are in the studio working hard on our next album and can't wait to deliver it to the world and to see all of our friends on tour.

Until then, please go to Roadrunner's YouTube channel to begin watching the documentary now!

Much love,
Dream Theater

Yeah just got the same one ;) true ;)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1146 on: April 25, 2011, 01:01:39 PM »
<3
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #1147 on: April 25, 2011, 01:02:55 PM »
Well, I'm very glad Dream Theater decided to make this documentary for all the fans. It's quite an insight, and it sure as hell makes for good watching.

Thanks guys

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1148 on: April 25, 2011, 01:04:05 PM »
Yeah this is indeed turning out to be a cool thing.  I'm really glad the videos are coming out so quickly after the trailer.  I am really happy we don't have to wait weeks and weeks more for it to come out.  This is really exciting.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1149 on: April 25, 2011, 01:04:10 PM »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1150 on: April 25, 2011, 01:05:11 PM »
lol they put You not Me in 14:26
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1151 on: April 25, 2011, 01:06:57 PM »
The only thing that could make this MORE exciting would be if...oh, I dunno...maybe Peter would post more instead of just being a tease and lurking in the thread.  :eyebrows:

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1152 on: April 25, 2011, 01:08:28 PM »
This was so awesome. I was lending my laptop to my girlfriend so she could finish her essay, read over twitter that the episode was available, made her save her work and plugged my laptop to the HD monitors that are on our study cubicles here at our Uni. :lol We watched it, she got excited because the Hotel that appears in the film is the same where she was staying last year.

The thing that struck me the most of this episode was that you could tell that Mangini really WANTS to be a part of Dream Theater. He looks really honest in the footage. I've had my differences with him (based on nothing but a whim, I just wanted Lang or Minnemann) but after seeing this episode I can say that I would be really glad if it's him. He really wants it. When he played it looked exaggerated but I guess it's because he was INTO it.

Good luck to the other six! "DT should throw curve-balls!"

Warning - while you were typing 7 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post. :lol

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1153 on: April 25, 2011, 01:09:53 PM »
The only thing that could make this MORE exciting would be if...oh, I dunno...maybe Peter would post more instead of just being a tease and lurking in the thread.  :eyebrows:
Yeah, it's not like purple names are very common around here  :lol
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1154 on: April 25, 2011, 01:10:05 PM »
I gotta admit, after watching that 20 minute video, this is the most I have been excited about this band in years.  Probably since '02/'03.  Can't wait to hear the new album! :tup :tup