An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer

Started by Weymolith, April 18, 2011, 08:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Barto

Wait, so there's already been an installment on this thing?  I thought it was a single documentary that was coming out later.

Anybody want to fill me in on exactly where everything stands right now?

LieLowTheWantedMan

Quote from: El Barto on April 25, 2011, 10:37:50 AM
Mangini pwns. Not much more.

bosk1

Wait, so there's already been an installment on this thing?  I thought it was a single documentary that was coming out later.

Look at the "what we know" thread.  Scroll down to today's update in the first post.

King Postwhore

They released a promo video of the Doc and they released the first 20 minute section today.
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

xeper

Awesome video! Hopefully the next album will have a DVD w/ the full unedited audition of whoever joins the band.

El Barto

Quote from: kingshmegland on April 25, 2011, 10:40:39 AM

They released a promo video of the Doc and they released the first 20 minute section today.
How many sections are there, and what's the schedule?  For that matter, where are they to be found?

Quote from: bösk1 on April 25, 2011, 10:40:26 AM
Look at the "what we know" thread.  Scroll down to today's update in the first post.
:tup

DarkLord_Lalinc

I love how Mangini no-sayers love him now.

I mean, what's not to love of that performance?

bosk1

Quote from: DarkLord_Lalinc on April 25, 2011, 10:42:42 AM

You know, I have to say, if the others are done similarly, this is also great P/R for the 6 who didn't get chosen.  I'm sure that by the end of this, all 7 are going to come across as the great drummers they are and as great guys to have in a band.  So far, the doc is very well done and is painting everybody involved in a very positive light.

Ben_Jamin

El Barto, its in 3 parts. It says in the video description.

Nic35

Wow that was so cool. Mangini seemed to have a really nice time playing with the guys. I'm curious to know if JLB was talking about Marco when he said "He was the most incredible. By far."

Only two more episodes left :caffeine:

DarkLord_Lalinc

Quote from: bösk1 on April 25, 2011, 10:44:22 AM
Quote from: DarkLord_Lalinc on April 25, 2011, 10:42:42 AM

You know, I have to say, if the others are done similarly, this is also great P/R for the 6 who didn't get chosen.  I'm sure that by the end of this, all 7 are going to come across as the great drummers they are and as great guys to have in a band.  So far, the doc is very well done and is painting everybody involved in a very positive light.

Definitely. They indeed played with some of the best drummers in the whole industry. This documentary is gonna be amazing.

bosk1

Quote from: Nic35 on April 25, 2011, 10:49:19 AM
Wow that was so cool. Mangini seemed to have a really nice time playing with the guys. I'm curious to know if JLB was talking about Marco when he said "He was the most incredible. By far."

No, I think he says "That was the most incredible.  By far."  Not "he."  James could have been referring to anything with that comment--the audition as a whole, one particular part of it, etc.

Writer

OMFG, in the end of video James is talking about Marco!  Poland keeps fingers crossed for Minnemann, go, go go!

And BTW, Mangini was not so amazing  :|

DarkLord_Lalinc

Quote from: Writer on April 25, 2011, 10:56:37 AM

Poland is also praying for you, so you can reconsider your opinion.  :biggrin:

theanalogkid7

I really was digging Mangini's vibe as a person.  He was as entertaining to watch as he was to listen to, and he seemed real genuine.  +1 for him

PlaysLikeMyung

Mangini came off as TOO showy. Nothing wrong with being showy, but he looked like he was trying too hard

John94

Just posting what I said in another topic. Might shed some light

QuoteThis time next week we may know who the drummer is. I asked RR via twitter what the schedule is...

Quoterrusa
There are three total and we should get through all of them this week.

theanalogkid7

Quote from: PlaysLikeMyung on April 25, 2011, 10:59:11 AM
Mangini came off as TOO showy. Nothing wrong with being showy, but he looked like he was trying too hard

True, he was rather showy.  However I feel that in this situation you've gotta put it all out there.  He's gotta make himself memorable not only for drumming, but for being a good showman.  Just my opinion, though.

inoku

Quote from: John94 on April 25, 2011, 11:00:57 AM
Just posting what I said in another topic. Might shed some light

QuoteThis time next week we may know who the drummer is. I asked RR via twitter what the schedule is...

Quoterrusa
There are three total and we should get through all of them this week.

:caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine: :caffeine:

tjanuranus

OMFG, in the end of video James is talking about Marco!  Poland keeps fingers crossed for Minnemann, go, go go!

only a dream theater fan would complain about Mike Mangini's abilities. Seriously.

rumborak

Poland keeps fingers crossed for Minnemann, go, go go!

Any specific reason for Poland crossing fingers? :lol
I mean, he's from Germany originally.

rumborak

Nic35

Quote from: bösk1 on April 25, 2011, 10:56:23 AM
Quote from: Nic35 on April 25, 2011, 10:49:19 AM

No, I think he says "That was the most incredible.  By far."  Not "he."  James could have been referring to anything with that comment--the audition as a whole, one particular part of it, etc.
You're right.

theanalogkid7

Quote from: tjanuranus on April 25, 2011, 11:02:48 AM

only a dream theater fan would complain about Mike Mangini's abilities. Seriously.
:rollin

Ben_Jamin

I see parts 2 and 3 being released Wednesday and Friday.

Nic35

antigoon

Disagree. It was exciting!

The Silent Cody

Poland speaks to you - Mangini is amazing :) It was pleasure to watch and listen, and Poland also keeps fings crossed for Priester  ;D

King Postwhore

ThinksLikeMyung  :lol
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Mebert78

To me, a big plus is just how genuinely excited Mangini seems to be a part of the DT family.  He seems to want it bad.  That's important to me, as a fan.  He's passionate about joining us in DT world.

bosk1

Writer

Quote from: DarkLord_Lalinc on April 25, 2011, 10:57:40 AM
Poland is also praying for you, so you can reconsider your opinion.  :biggrin:

That's possible but on audition he played just a little stiff and without grace.  :smiley:
Ok, I'm waiting for Minnemann and Lang :tup

DarkLord_Lalinc

JediKnight1969

Quote from: antigoon on April 25, 2011, 11:07:40 AM

Disagree. It was exciting!

I agree with PLM. However MM looks really excited about this.

And we're all so fucking horny! (musically speaking...)

7StringedBeast

Got to watch the first installment and I have to say it looks really good.  Seems like it was really well done.  Definitely a lot better than what the promo video made it look like, which is really exciting.  

I thought Mangini was awesome.  I liked his personality a lot and his outlook.  The guy was so intense and so detail oriented.  I was really impressed and I love how much he was into the music.  He really looked like he thoroughly enjoyed the audition.  I would have fun watching him on stage for sure.  At this point, I don't care who the new guy is, because I think all of them will probably fit DT well enough.  It really just depends on what the guys want at this point.  I'd def be OK with Mangini!  :tup

Absolutely can't wait for the next installments.  Can't wait to see all the other drummers play!  

bosk1