Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 661093 times)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #1015 on: April 25, 2011, 10:02:12 AM »
That was so cool.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1016 on: April 25, 2011, 10:03:30 AM »
God. I was happy with Mangini before but this just doubled my enthusiasm.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1017 on: April 25, 2011, 10:05:05 AM »
Wither was also played.

Man this is so exciting. Mangini I'd be happy with because he really really wants in and understands its about the feel and connection.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #1018 on: April 25, 2011, 10:05:25 AM »
yea mangini killed it, i'm pretty sure he's in.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1019 on: April 25, 2011, 10:07:20 AM »
I had a big WTF moment when JR said that MP wanted the band to take a FIVE year hiatus. I thought he wanted just a year or so.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline JimmyJava

• Swear my skin is inside out
« Reply #1020 on: April 25, 2011, 10:07:58 AM »
Well, I was very skeptical about Mike Mangini from the beginning, I never got his style and I suppose after watching this, I didn't get much wiser as we really didn't get to see alot of his playing but just his personality, energi behind the kit and general vibe was fantastic. I'm happy with him :)

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1021 on: April 25, 2011, 10:08:06 AM »
What is Jordan saying on the 20:08 mark?

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1022 on: April 25, 2011, 10:08:38 AM »
Wow, Mangini has sooo much energy behind the kit, it's insane! His playing is spot-on. He could be the right stage presence for them too. Now we'll have to see who they were talking about in the next episode about 'the best one yet' (JLB to JP)

I also wanna remark upon how nice it is of DT to send all 7 guys a gift bag lol

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #1023 on: April 25, 2011, 10:08:45 AM »
Wow.  I am incredibly impressed by Mangini's drumming and his presence/personality.  Well, one down, 6 to go.  I could be wrong, but judging from some of the stuff earlier in the video, it seems like Roddy is second up and then maybe Priester (speaking of whom, even though the clips of his drumming are pretty short, I have to say I have to give him more credit than I previously did).

So, the audition songs are:  ANTR, TDOE, and...a ballad that I did not pick up on.  Did anyone else catch it, or was that still kind of kept under wraps?

I also tried keeping track of the songs played as clips throughout, but lost track.  Seemed like a pretty good variety.

Lastly, as far as the whole "reality show" thing is concerned:  Obviously, since it is a series of auditions competing for one spot, it definitely has a reality TV vibe to it.  But as far as the traditional elimination reality tv show thing, I really only get that sporadically, mainly toward the end when they are doing the previews for the next one.  Otherwise, it is pretty standard documentary-type format, which is great.
I agree with Bosk! This was really great and entertaining to see! Real props to the band for doing this, its really great and I just loved it. The only part when I cringed slightly was the "next episode" part.

I really hope they release one each day, and not one a week.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1024 on: April 25, 2011, 10:08:54 AM »
Damn, that was simply amazing. Loved Mike's drumming, and he's one of the most energetic musicians I've ever seen. It would make a great contrast to the rest of the other band on stage.

Also, I'm already excited for the next episode. My fears about this documentary haven't really come true so far, and I hope that the won't in the next episode either.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1025 on: April 25, 2011, 10:09:21 AM »
I had a big WTF moment when JR said that MP wanted the band to take a FIVE year hiatus. I thought he wanted just a year or so.
And this too!

Offline DP_Gumby

• Wished I lived in any fantasy realm
« Reply #1026 on: April 25, 2011, 10:10:15 AM »
Not only did Myung speak, but he smiled too! :hefdaddy
"This morning, shortly after eleven o'clock, comedy struck this little house in Dibley. Sudden. Violent. Comedy." - Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Offline icarus4321

« Reply #1027 on: April 25, 2011, 10:12:03 AM »
This is going to drive me nuts all day long!  My work server blocks Youtube and I can't access the video on my phone.  Now I have to wait 9 hours to see this!  BAHHHH....
Please check out our band, Agora Forte, www.reverbnation.com/agoraforte

My last.fm Profile

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1028 on: April 25, 2011, 10:13:55 AM »
Icarus, it'll be worth the wait.  Trust me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1029 on: April 25, 2011, 10:15:35 AM »
I was very happy with the opening and closing songs, of course. Ending with my favourite song ending of all time (LTL). I wish they saved it up for the last episode however :p

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1030 on: April 25, 2011, 10:16:29 AM »
:lol

I'm watching it without sound, I'll have to wait until I get home, too. Trying to read MM's lips it seems he says "gotta learn the Camel spit" at some point.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1031 on: April 25, 2011, 10:17:35 AM »

I'm watching it without sound, I'll have to wait until I get home, too. Trying to read MM's lips it seems he says "gotta learn the Camel spit" at some point.

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #1032 on: April 25, 2011, 10:19:26 AM »
Damn, that was simply amazing. Loved Mike's drumming, and he's one of the most energetic musicians I've ever seen. It would make a great contrast to the rest of the other band on stage.

Also, I'm already excited for the next episode. My fears about this documentary haven't really come true so far, and I hope that the won't in the next episode either.
  Per the video prductioin company epsiodes 2 & 3 will be released this week.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1033 on: April 25, 2011, 10:20:37 AM »
I absolutely loved this first part of the documentary. And, TBH, i didn't get all this reality-show vibe many pepole are bitching about. Believe me, reality shows in my country are much, much more annoying than any documentary could ever get, escpecially this one.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with Mangini's playing, but more than anything, I was hooked by his antics. Man, what a positive and genuine attitude! I would be okay with him, but right now I'm looking forward to seeing the other drummers auditioning before endorsing anyone

On a side note, i was checking the comments on FB. It is very sad to me that the vas majority of them is like:

We all hate this game you guys love playing. Just release the name and besides whatever drummer you choose who isnt Portnoy is gonna make you lose a lot of fans. Everyone makes mistakes so just forgive him and bring him back. If you don't I hope whatever project he comes up with is better than whatever drummer you choose.

I think this band is getting a little too commercial... We don't need a reality show to tell us who is going to be playing with you. They're taking our love for the band and curiosity into a means of spreading the band's popularity. Time to un-like--

Childish is the word. Quit the bullshit and tell the name. Mike can never be replaced anyway... :-(

Only people that can replace Portnoy is Buddy Rich, and he's dead...and Neil Peart, he's with Rush.... So get Portnoy back...deal with the BS and move the FUCK ON !

I mean, i do respect all these people's opinion, but I just cannot figure out why in the world this could be the prevailing attitude among the whole DT fan community (and, instead, not among the long-time or diehard fans).
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1034 on: April 25, 2011, 10:24:34 AM »
I plan on trolling the shit out of every ridiculous facebook post I see later

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #1035 on: April 25, 2011, 10:25:17 AM »
I don't think it could be the prevailing attitude, but as I said in my PMS rant a few pages back, enough people are thinking like that that it's a little puzzling. It seems like 95% of fans are pumped, though.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1036 on: April 25, 2011, 10:28:58 AM »
That was really cool. But it would have been nice to see a bit more of the audition. I think only less than a minute all in all was shown of Mangini actually playing without overdubs.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1037 on: April 25, 2011, 10:29:36 AM »
Those people aren't real fans of DT. They're fans of MP, and want him back.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1038 on: April 25, 2011, 10:30:58 AM »

I also tried keeping track of the songs played as clips throughout, but lost track.  Seemed like a pretty good variety.

"Wait for Sleep"
"Learning to Live"
"You Not Me"
"Beyond This Life" (the acoustic outro at the very end)
"About to Crash (reprise)"
"The Best of Times"
"The Count of Tuscany"

Those are the ones I remember.

Forsaken, Constant Motion, and A Rite Of Passage were in there was well.  I caught all the ones you mentioned except YNM.

Gotcha.  I figured I didn't remember them all.

On a side note, i was checking the comments on FB. It is very sad to me that the vas majority of them is like:

We all hate this game you guys love playing. Just release the name and besides whatever drummer you choose who isnt Portnoy is gonna make you lose a lot of fans. Everyone makes mistakes so just forgive him and bring him back. If you don't I hope whatever project he comes up with is better than whatever drummer you choose.

I think this band is getting a little too commercial... We don't need a reality show to tell us who is going to be playing with you. They're taking our love for the band and curiosity into a means of spreading the band's popularity. Time to un-like--

Childish is the word. Quit the bullshit and tell the name. Mike can never be replaced anyway... :-(

Only people that can replace Portnoy is Buddy Rich, and he's dead...and Neil Peart, he's with Rush.... So get Portnoy back...deal with the BS and move the FUCK ON !

I mean, i do respect all these people's opinion, but I just cannot figure out why in the world this could be the prevailing attitude among the whole DT fan community (and, instead, not among the long-time or diehard fans).

Like has been said, those people are the vocal minority.  

And considering how disrespectful some of those comments are, I ain't gonna respect them, just because they, like everyone else, have the right to express their opinions.

Online chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1039 on: April 25, 2011, 10:31:13 AM »
Fantastic first episode, can not wait for the rest!

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1040 on: April 25, 2011, 10:31:20 AM »
I absolutely loved this first part of the documentary. And, TBH, i didn't get all this reality-show vibe many pepole are bitching about. Believe me, reality shows in my country are much, much more annoying than any documentary could ever get, escpecially this one.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with Mangini's playing, but more than anything, I was hooked by his antics. Man, what a positive and genuine attitude! I would be okay with him, but right now I'm looking forward to seeing the other drummers auditioning before endorsing anyone

I've learned to NOT respect other peoples opinions because of complete bullshit like this.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1041 on: April 25, 2011, 10:31:34 AM »
I hope there will be a dvd with full songs of all contestants, but I doubt it.

But, on the subject of the first episode:

I litterally (my dad laughed at me) said: 'nooo' when the episode ended. I WANT to see the rest right now.
Man what a great way to entertain the fans, and get them excited for the new drummer, new album, new tour, everything.
Plus: it's a great marketing strategy, all Vai-period-Mangini fans will check this out, and can totally get hooked to DT, if he gets the throne or not.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #1042 on: April 25, 2011, 10:32:06 AM »
So that kinda just made my day. I really wasn't too excited about the prospect of Mangini before. But seeing this, I'd be perfectly fine with him. Though I kinda had to laugh at "Ooh, what'd I just do to the bed spread?"

Regardless, I am beyond excited for all of this. If they're releasing 3 episodes this week, it seems safe to assume we'll probably know by the end of next week.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1043 on: April 25, 2011, 10:32:51 AM »
Those people aren't real fans of DT. They're fans of MP, and want him back.
Well said.

Offline inoku

« Reply #1044 on: April 25, 2011, 10:34:54 AM »
man.. what james said in the end gets me very excited..

Offline emtee

« Reply #1045 on: April 25, 2011, 10:35:53 AM »
Paraphrasing from my post at MP's house...

I'm floored by the mutual respect for all involved and by the quality of that video. Just that one lone episode
has changed my mind about some things and I want to take back anything I've said that had a negative
tone regarding the amount of time this took, and about my support of DT moving forward. I will support them
100% both in a live setting and via album purchases.

I want to personally thank the band for allowing us this view into the DT machine and the most significant
event in the bands history.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1046 on: April 25, 2011, 10:39:36 AM »
I also can't stress enough how awesome it is to hear all of the DT members. It totally changes the perception of the band.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #1047 on: April 25, 2011, 10:41:33 AM »
I feel like a kid watching mom date new guys to replace my dad....not fun!

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1048 on: April 25, 2011, 10:42:01 AM »
I loved the way he played the intro snare to TDOEN with one hand while spinning the other stick  :lol :metal

This
This week is going to be incredible.

...and this!!  :metal
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1049 on: April 25, 2011, 10:43:15 AM »

Like has been said, those people are the vocal minority.  

And considering how disrespectful some of those comments are, I ain't gonna respect them, just because they, like everyone else, have the right to express their opinions.

You're right, i probably didn't phrase that well my thought.

I respect their right to express an opinion, a right that should never be questioned, but i definitely don't respect the way they do, and, of course, don't like WHAT they express at all.

As for the vocal minority thing, yeah, you are probably right, but I can't help to find all this negative reaction childish and unexplicable
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco