Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 661130 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #910 on: April 23, 2011, 07:14:53 AM »
Hey, Peter! Thanks for posting here.

Talking about growls... can you please sing the following?

DAY AFTER DAY AND NIGHT AFTER NIGHT
REPLAYING THE EVENTS
DID THEY EVER SEE THE RED LIGHT?
OVER AND OVER
SCENE BY SCENE
LIKE A RECURRING NIGHTMARE
HUNTING MY DREAMS

How can you prepare
For what happened next?
No son should ever have to see his father such a mess
It's a miracle he lived
It's a blessing no one died
By the grace of God above
Everyone survived! ROOOAARRRRR!

Thanks!
Nice! :rollin
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Loser1

« Reply #911 on: April 23, 2011, 07:20:57 AM »
Ugh... What has happened to my favorite band? Cheesy reality show tactics? Horrible trailers? What happened to the DT that used to be about music and only the music?

I guess I'd be ok with all of this if they just changed their name and laid "Dream Theater" to rest. It seems that DT is more about theater and less about music. It is a sad state of affairs, an all time low, and I for one am close to writing all of this bullshit off.

They have always been big fans of spectacle. This documentary still looks infinitely less cheesy then the Metropolis 2000 DVD for example.

With this they get to generate a fair of amount of hype/publicity while giving us a peak at auditions. Are you saying you don't like the idea of people like seeing people like Marco Minneman or Thomas Lang jamming with Dream Theater? It may be a tad OTT, but I definitely rather have a good show out of it rather then them just say "the drummer is XXX" and move on.

Plus this way we get to see how whoever they chose melds with the band instead of guessing how they'll play based on on past projects so it should kill a fair amount of whining (though this is probably very wishful thinking on my pat  :P).

I think it is the Apprentice style, reality TV vibe the trailer has, is what rubs me the wrong way.

I'd love for a straight up documentary about this major time of change in DT history. Metropolis 2000 was produced by a member of DT who was trying to convey a story line. A completely made up story line. Cheesy or not, is was made BY DT. I'd put my life on the line in betting DT outsourced this latest production, which in turn has a more mainstream vibe (extra cheese).

Like I said before... If the songs are solid that's all that will matter to me in the end. I'll eat my negative words. But I won't be embracing the cookie cutter, reality TV BS that the public eats up.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #912 on: April 23, 2011, 07:26:27 AM »
I really doubt that the actual documentary is going to be "reality TV" style.  All that stuff, I think, was added in the editing of the promo.  They auditioned all 7 guys over a 3-day period.  I don't see how that would lend itself to a reality-style elimination set-up

Offline Loser1

« Reply #913 on: April 23, 2011, 07:41:35 AM »
Good point. I hope you are right. What I want to happen is I have to eat ALL of my words! :-)

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #914 on: April 23, 2011, 09:26:58 AM »
I really doubt that the actual documentary is going to be "reality TV" style.  All that stuff, I think, was added in the editing of the promo.  They auditioned all 7 guys over a 3-day period.  I don't see how that would lend itself to a reality-style elimination set-up
I think that nobody here even was thinking that DT will make a reality show from choosing new drummer, with eliminations and etc.... It's just, you know, it's hard to focus on the music when you have camera's and fotographer's around you, especially in the audition time...

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #915 on: April 23, 2011, 09:28:12 AM »

This...

I think it's going to be a documentary, not AI DT version.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #916 on: April 23, 2011, 09:58:24 AM »
Man, just watched this video of Virgil Donati:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4aEz_nr8p8

Seeing that video, he probably listened to the practice songs on the flight to NYC and then just pulled it off :lol

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline erik16

• The one on the right
« Reply #917 on: April 23, 2011, 10:32:46 AM »
I think that as Peter W is posting here himself, one can actually see how much DTF cares for musicians and DT in general. People might bitch here at times but if someone comes here being so nice and informative, nobody would even want to drive him/her off.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #918 on: April 23, 2011, 10:34:30 AM »

Seeing that video, he probably listened to the practice songs on the flight to NYC and then just pulled it off :lol

rumborak

I totally love that video. When I saw that for the first time, I swear I watched 5 times in row. Unbelievable drumming, incredible music, awesome sound. Prog doesn't get any better than that.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #919 on: April 23, 2011, 11:18:44 AM »

rumborak

That video confirmed both that Virgil is an excellent drummer and that I still hate the color of his kit
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline JPX

« Reply #920 on: April 23, 2011, 11:28:00 AM »
Ugh... What has happened to my favorite band? Cheesy reality show tactics? Horrible trailers? What happened to the DT that used to be about music and only the music?

I guess I'd be ok with all of this if they just changed their name and laid "Dream Theater" to rest. It seems that DT is more about theater and less about music. It is a sad state of affairs, an all time low, and I for one am close to writing all of this bullshit off.

They have always been big fans of spectacle. This documentary still looks infinitely less cheesy then the Metropolis 2000 DVD for example.

With this they get to generate a fair of amount of hype/publicity while giving us a peak at auditions. Are you saying you don't like the idea of people like seeing people like Marco Minneman or Thomas Lang jamming with Dream Theater? It may be a tad OTT, but I definitely rather have a good show out of it rather then them just say "the drummer is XXX" and move on.

Plus this way we get to see how whoever they chose melds with the band instead of guessing how they'll play based on on past projects so it should kill a fair amount of whining (though this is probably very wishful thinking on my pat  :P).

I think it is the Apprentice style, reality TV vibe the trailer has, is what rubs me the wrong way.

I'd love for a straight up documentary about this major time of change in DT history. Metropolis 2000 was produced by a member of DT who was trying to convey a story line. A completely made up story line. Cheesy or not, is was made BY DT. I'd put my life on the line in betting DT outsourced this latest production, which in turn has a more mainstream vibe (extra cheese).

Like I said before... If the songs are solid that's all that will matter to me in the end. I'll eat my negative words. But I won't be embracing the cookie cutter, reality TV BS that the public eats up.

This is a documentary about the process of auditioning and selecting one drummer. There will be no voting off or eliminations or tribal council. These are highly respected musicians, not Snooki or Adam Lambert looking for their 15 minutes of fame.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #921 on: April 23, 2011, 11:29:19 AM »
I think that as Peter W is posting here himself, one can actually see how much DTF cares for musicians and DT in general. People might bitch here at times but if someone comes here being so nice and informative, nobody would even want to drive him/her off.

I think we're pretty good at judging people by their posts. But, we've certainly also driven away certain "celebrities" if they happened to post like total dickwads. :D

rumborak

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #922 on: April 23, 2011, 12:31:35 PM »
When I heard Dream Theater were going to have a huge audition, the first thing I thought was, "I hope they make it into a documentary!" I also wanted to see what kind of access they would give their fans, because you know if they were auditioning a new bassist, Portnoy would have had a camera there every second. I wanted to see if that kind of thing would continue.

Note the word continue. Dream Theater have always given fans crazy insight into their business, going over and above in the form of commentaries, documentaries and forum posts. The notion that Dream Theater are now about the "theater" and not the "dream" makes literally no sense at all. None. Nada. Zip.

Furthermore, what is so bad about making a trailer for the documentary? And even if it was the worst thing in the world, who says they made the trailer? Why couldn't Road Runner have put the trailer together? Or why couldn't the band's management have put the trailer together?

And what is with people being so impatient about the announcement of the new drummer? All I see everywhere is, "JUST ANNOUNCE IT ALREADY. STOP WITH ALL THIS REALITY TV BULLSHIT AND ANNOUNCE IT. DT ARE SELL-OUTS!"

How fucking stupid are these people? (1) Get a life and do other things with your time, and (2) You think DT are taking this long just to fuck with everyone? No! There are probably very good reasons why it has taken a long time, which will all be answered by THE DOCUMENTARY THAT YOU ARE PISSED ABOUT.

Morons.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #923 on: April 23, 2011, 12:33:18 PM »
^Good post, if a bit poorly worded. :)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #924 on: April 23, 2011, 12:41:57 PM »
^Good post, if a bit poorly worded. :)

It wasn't poorly worded. But... Thanks?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #925 on: April 23, 2011, 12:43:01 PM »
At the end you called people morons and such, but hey! We cool, homes, since I don't fall into that category...I have a life. :tup

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #926 on: April 23, 2011, 12:44:55 PM »
Sorry James. I'm not as nice as you. :(

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #927 on: April 23, 2011, 12:51:44 PM »
Sorry James. I'm not as nice as you. :(

Hell, you're very nice to me.  :heart
 :-*

:-*
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #928 on: April 23, 2011, 01:04:19 PM »
How fucking stupid are these people? (1) Get a life and do other things with your time, and (2) You think DT are taking this long just to fuck with everyone? No! There are probably very good reasons why it has taken a long time, which will all be answered by THE DOCUMENTARY THAT YOU ARE PISSED ABOUT.

Morons.

Dude, what is wrong with you?

Look at it from the other side. I think it's fairly obvious that they didn't announce the drummer because they were waiting for the production of the documentary to finish so they could announce the drummer with the doc. But, the problem now is that after so much time, all drummers have been accounted for, and the announcement of Mangini as the drummer will be a total non-event. That's what people are reacting to.

rumborak

Offline robwebster

« Reply #929 on: April 23, 2011, 01:06:37 PM »

Morons.

Dude, what is wrong with you?

Look at it from the other side. I think it's fairly obvious that they didn't announce the drummer because they were waiting for the production of the documentary to finish so they could announce the drummer with the doc. But, the problem now is that after so much time, all drummers have been accounted for, and the announcement of Mangini as the drummer will be a total non-event. That's what people are reacting to.

rumborak

Doesn't entirely make sense... if they already "know" it's Mike Mangini, why would they be getting antsy for an announcement?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #930 on: April 23, 2011, 01:08:01 PM »
I think it's more of a "ach, for fuck's sake, announce it already. We know who it is anyway" sentiment. I for one am interested in the documentary, but the actual announcement ... eh.

rumborak

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #931 on: April 23, 2011, 01:11:21 PM »
TOX, although you didn't insult anyone by name you should know that sort of tone directed at a good number of people is unacceptable here, c'mon.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #932 on: April 23, 2011, 01:20:38 PM »
I should have clarified: I was reacting more to the hoards of people I see commenting on articles I read around the internet - including Blabbermouth, Facebook and YouTube - than here.

I also disagree about everyone knowing it's Mangini. I am still seeing a lot of people who still think other drummers have a chance.*

*Then again, these are the same people calling Dream Theater sell-outs for releasing a documentary with a trailer.

Offline Pantherize

« Reply #933 on: April 23, 2011, 01:24:59 PM »
Is it just me or does Marco Minneman sound EXACTLY like Tom Green? I kept watching the clip trying to place who he sounded like and it finally hit me. I'm the backwards man the backwards man... :lol I got a job playing drums in this band. Can I borrow $50 bucks for...drumsticks and stuff?

Sorry, yes, I just did reference one of the worst movies ever made. It's a guilty pleasure.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #934 on: April 23, 2011, 01:27:23 PM »
Yeah, TOX that was strange because I haven't seen anyone here (the closest being Loser1) calling DT "sell-outs". Maybe at Facebook and YouTube, yet again, what do you expect from a place like that (YouTube).

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #935 on: April 23, 2011, 01:31:58 PM »
I think DT's getting a fairly good feedback with all of this that's happening. I mean, it was a very hard situation for them and I think they're handling it very nicely.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #936 on: April 23, 2011, 01:43:30 PM »
Yeah, TOX that was strange because I haven't seen anyone here (the closest being Loser1) calling DT "sell-outs". Maybe at Facebook and YouTube, yet again, what do you expect from a place like that (YouTube).

Right. Normally I wouldn't worry too much about that kind of thing, but in this case, I saw people I know on Facebook saying those things. The majority of the fanbase probably isn't thinking like that, but enough are that it's getting a little silly.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #937 on: April 23, 2011, 01:45:46 PM »
When I heard Dream Theater were going to have a huge audition, the first thing I thought was, "I hope they make it into a documentary!" I also wanted to see what kind of access they would give their fans, because you know if they were auditioning a new bassist, Portnoy would have had a camera there every second. I wanted to see if that kind of thing would continue.

Note the word continue. Dream Theater have always given fans crazy insight into their business, going over and above in the form of commentaries, documentaries and forum posts. The notion that Dream Theater are now about the "theater" and not the "dream" makes literally no sense at all. None. Nada. Zip.

Furthermore, what is so bad about making a trailer for the documentary? And even if it was the worst thing in the world, who says they made the trailer? Why couldn't Road Runner have put the trailer together? Or why couldn't the band's management have put the trailer together?

And what is with people being so impatient about the announcement of the new drummer? All I see everywhere is, "JUST ANNOUNCE IT ALREADY. STOP WITH ALL THIS REALITY TV BULLSHIT AND ANNOUNCE IT. DT ARE SELL-OUTS!"

Morons.

Other than maybe the last paragraph...  :clap:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #938 on: April 23, 2011, 01:47:31 PM »
A bit off-topic, but I just paused the video just before James says "welcome you to the family" and Myung is actually smiling! It seems like that was a very very special moment for the DT guys.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #939 on: April 23, 2011, 01:57:36 PM »
I realize a lot of the  whining over the doc is happening on other forums, where maybe they're not getting a lot of the tidbits we've gathered here?  I mean, didn't Derek Roddy pretty much confirm that there were legal issues with regards to the timing of the announcement?  That jives with what many of the folks around here have speculated for months.  Also, I know way back in the drummer thread here it was mentioned that we thought MP didn't have any DT stuff, i.e... vids, recorded projects, still in play.  After watching the interview he did yesterday, he made mention...of unfinished projects and he seemed uncomfy or cautious talking about it.  Is it possible that could be part of any legal issue?  A project that was started before the split, but he wants too finish?  

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #940 on: April 23, 2011, 02:02:44 PM »
WILDOER WAS HERE AND I MISSED IT. DAMN IT. :\
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #941 on: April 23, 2011, 02:03:35 PM »
He's coming back.

He's the killing hand.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #942 on: April 23, 2011, 02:08:47 PM »
CrimsonSunrise, the unfinished projects MP wanted to finish sounds like the AA suite being played live, and maybe TBoT live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #943 on: April 23, 2011, 02:22:03 PM »
CrimsonSunrise, the unfinished projects MP wanted to finish sounds like the AA suite being played live, and maybe TBoT live.

I agree with those two.  I was thinking though, some kind of actual production project.  Something he had invested time and money into, with the blessing of the band, that he wanted to complete to possibly get a financial return on.

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #944 on: April 23, 2011, 02:22:31 PM »
WILDOER WAS HERE AND I MISSED IT. DAMN IT. :\

I'll be back soon, busy right now. Just checked in from my phone. You guys are great!!!

Cheers,
Peter