Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 661128 times)

Offline jmbeat

Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #840 on: April 22, 2011, 03:24:01 PM »
I don't know if this has been said but I love the fact that it's James to give the news to the new drummer.

I can't decide whether that part is real or whether it was just staged for dramatic effect for the video.

I wonder how many times they filmed it. Like if they got his voicemail the first time. Those would be great outtakes.
i think he was in the studio while they were in the control room when he said it
"So just shut your face and take a seat because after all you're just talking meat.....and music?  Well that's just entertainment folks.---Devin Townsend

"I'm not drinking until Saturday"---My Wife;)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #841 on: April 22, 2011, 03:33:08 PM »
I don't know if this has been said but I love the fact that it's James to give the news to the new drummer.

I can't decide whether that part is real or whether it was just staged for dramatic effect for the video.

I wonder how many times they filmed it. Like if they got his voicemail the first time. Those would be great outtakes.
i think he was in the studio while they were in the control room when he said it

I thought that at first too, but you can clearly see them talk into a phone.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #842 on: April 22, 2011, 03:39:36 PM »
So it looks like it isn't Lang as he looks like being at the Mexico City Meinl Drum Festival when DT are playing in Kiev
https://www.meinldrumfestival.com/

bummer

Offline jmbeat

« Reply #843 on: April 22, 2011, 03:42:06 PM »
And to all the people that are not happy with this form of announcing the drummer in the bands chosen format, I have a feeling that if it was another member other than MP being replaced, I think MP would have gone about it in the same fashion.
"So just shut your face and take a seat because after all you're just talking meat.....and music?  Well that's just entertainment folks.---Devin Townsend

"I'm not drinking until Saturday"---My Wife;)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #844 on: April 22, 2011, 03:45:49 PM »
I have no problems with what they are doing.  I can't wait to see more.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Raziel666

• Infinite Moonloops
« Reply #845 on: April 22, 2011, 03:51:55 PM »
So it looks like it isn't Lang as he looks like being at the Mexico City Meinl Drum Festival when DT are playing in Kiev

bummer

What a shame... Lang was my initial vote and he got my vote again after the video of the 7 was posted on FB.

Now, even though it is rumored that Minnemann has said that he didn't get the gig, I hope it's him. I don't know, but Mike Mangini doesn't strike me as the new Theater drummer. Has Virgil Donati scheduled anything for this summer? :/

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #846 on: April 22, 2011, 03:58:02 PM »
I have no problems with what they are doing.  I can't wait to see more.

+1

for me at least, too much speculation has been put on who the new drummer is, as opposed to what the new DT is as a whole. To me, that's much more important. I don't care who the new drummer is, as long as he helps DT's new album become epic.

and wildoer, I know you are lurking in the shadows. you can't fool the big nasty.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #847 on: April 22, 2011, 04:01:14 PM »
The process they're using doesn't bother me at all.  I actually kind of think it's cool.  As far as WHO it will be, the way I see it the Band is the best judge.  THEY know what works for them chemistry wise.  No matter who we think is the best choice... I defer too them  ;D  That is some serious talent that attended....  I think regardless it will be a win/win for us.

Special thanks to Peter for stopping by...  :metal
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 04:40:58 PM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #848 on: April 22, 2011, 04:20:03 PM »

bummer

[Norbert Saemann continues, "I'm currently working on putting the line up together. Meinl artists who have been invited include Ozzy Osbourne's Tommy Clufetos, Prince's drummer Chris Coleman, Derek Roddy, Thomas Lang and a few others. We will also invite some of our national Mexican endorsers of course.]

It says that Lang and Roddy are invited. That doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be there, does it?

Offline Raoul Sanchez

« Reply #849 on: April 22, 2011, 04:23:15 PM »
This has already happened, back before Christmas.

Offline chucke

« Reply #850 on: April 22, 2011, 04:30:18 PM »
Every time I watch the clip I notice something different.

Look at 2:11. It is funny as hell.

James is saying "We've been touched by some magic here, but I think there is still more to come"

JR and JP are looking at him while he is speaking, while JM is clearly not even paying attention. He is looking the other direction with his arms crossed tapping his finger on his elbow. He is probably thinking, come on let's get this crap over with so I can go practice the new songs.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 04:37:03 PM by chucke »

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #851 on: April 22, 2011, 04:40:38 PM »
I would really like to see Aquiles as a new drummer...but I doubt it's going to happen...
I sometimes think, that everything about drummer case is set up, only for promotional stuff because of RR... and I don't like it, it really starts to remind some reality shows...as much I love DT music I do not like what is going with them right now... waiting for the new album, hope that it will be awesome...

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #852 on: April 22, 2011, 04:41:03 PM »
Every time I watch the clip I notice something different.

Look at 2:11. It is funny as hell.

James is saying "We've been touched by some magic here, but I think there is still more to come"

JR and JP are looking at him while he is speaking, while JM is clearly not even paying attention. He is looking the other direction with his arms crossed tapping his finger on his elbow. He is probably thinking, come on let's get this crap over with so I can go practice the new songs.

LOL.  Myung is also tapping his fingers there, like he's saying: "Come on, guys.  Let's speed this up."
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #853 on: April 22, 2011, 05:09:55 PM »
Hey there again!

Wow, I'll try to answer most of the questions. First, thanks A LOT for all your kind words!!! Makes me very happy. You guys deserve to get some info after all these months.   :tup

Some of the posts I want to quote are not visible in the "Topic Summary" so I'll try to use different styles instead. Hope it's okay!

robwebster
Oh brilliant! Who's your favourite member? It's me, right?
Genuinely though, lovely to see you, and cheers for going to the trouble to speak to us 'orrible lot. Really exciting to hear about the process from "your end."
How much were you communicating with the other drummers throughout the process? What with speaking to Virgil and all that.

Wildoer
Of course you're my favourite board member!  ;)  As are the rest of you guys... Regarding you guys being a 'orrible lot, there have been posts that I didn't like reading but that's the freedom of speech. Not everybody like you as "simple" is that. But at some points I think one can take this too serious and hurt others that perhaps can't even defend themselves. I mean this is all about music, great music, and it's not the end of the world if something happens. Well, enough of this and on to the fun parts...

I was communicating the other drummers for the first time just days after I got the list for the audition. I just had to, I mean all of them are huge explorers of the drumming art and as I said, influences to me. Simply had to tell them how honored I was being among them! I only met Virgil in person and saw Mike Mangini from a distance when I was lurking the first day outside the audition place, ha ha ha...  :lol

Like some of you might have read, I met Virgil for about two hours at the hotel and that was amazing. He's definitely one of my top three influences! After the auditions I once again contacted all the others and just briefly "discussed" the audition. After that I've been in contact sporadically with them.

Perpetual Change
Welcome to the forums! Most of us loved Static Impulse around here. I'm definitely interesting in that piece you're working on translating into English, too.

If you're the guy I think you'll do a fine job. Without getting into the technical stuff, you're definitely the most badass looking drummer who auditioned! 

Wildoer
Glad you like Static Impulse! I'm really happy how that album came out. I know some of you hate my screaming and I'm sorry for that, but it was not me that entered the studio and said "Hey guys, I will do some screaming on some songs even though it's JLB's album and that's it".  :lol  Both James and Matt wanted this approach and when they found out that I did lead vocals (screams) on Christofer Malmström's (Darkane) solo album "Non-Human Level" and also some vocals on the Darkane albums they wanted me to do the growls.

You can read more on this and the Static Impulse album in the interview I did for Carl Begai here:
https://carlbegai.com/2010/11/15/peter-wildoer-thunder-and-the-beast/

Ha ha, most badass looking guy! Have you seen the other six drummers? They are top modells!  ;)  My wife got a crush on Aquiles when we met him at the audition, so he must be better looking than me. :lol

I will post here when my journal about the audition is translated into english. Might be interesting to se it from one of the guys?

DreamerTV
Wow, thanks Peter!
As for me, it's incredible to read that after 25 years DT are still in such an honored, and somehow venerated, position among international musicians. I mean, we all know they are good, but they seems they're still over the top.
As for you, despite your surprise reading you were among those 7, if you got the call it means you definitely can. So, props Peter!

Wildoer
DT is perhaps just that important because they've been around for so long and kept to what they believe in. Of course they have changed over the years, but imagine that they are different persons and 25 years older. I've been playing with Christofer Malmström (Darkane) for more than 20 years and we've grown in different directions over the years but always kept true to what we want to do, not what others wants us to do! I bet the same goes for DT.

Besides this, the DT guys are fantastic musicians and for that they should be respected, period.

Thanks for your kind words abut me being one of the seven! It's these words that helps when you got bashed on YouTube or elsewhere. :)

Mladen
Thanks for that, Peter.   I wasn't too familiar with your work when Mike left the band, but after hearing your incredible drumming on Static impulse, you were my first choice for the new Dream Theater drummer, even though I had no idea what you look like, I didn't even search your name on google.   I'm blown away by your playing, and even though I have a feeling you're not the new drummer, I'll be following what you're doing in the future. Great to hear from you. 

Wildoer
Thanks a lot Mladen for you way too kind words!!! :) Very glad you enjoy the SI album! I think you were the first one that voted for me in the poll and after that I remembered your avatar. Later on I think you changed your vote though, correct? If that's the case I forgive you for that... :lol

Very cool if you want to follow what I do next!!!

tick
First, let me add the obligatory, thanks for posting, Peter, its very cool you took the time to pop on in.
I do have a question for anyone who can answer. Who is the much older guy in the auditions? He looks like Micky Thomas from Jefferson Starship.

Wildoer
I'm just glad that you like my post! I think you got your answer right? When I got the audition list with the drummers I checked everybody's age at Wikipedia. I know you can't trust Wikipedia for a fact but all their ages seem to be correct. I'm the youngest and I'm not even you anymore, ha ha ha...

Nihil-Morari

Wait a second, you drummed on Seven Deadly Pieces?
I've been wanting to check that out since I first saw that trailer you posted, which must've been around 2006.
Great music, great drumming. And how awesome that you've been lurking here and now even posting here!
Thanks for all the info!

Wildoer
Yes, it's me playing drums, tambourine with my foot and wood blocks on the "Seven Deadly Pieces". That DVD is amazing and it features a lot of other cool stuff from Lalle Larsson and is a must have. If you guys haven't checked out Lalle Larsson YOU HAVE TO!!! He's a fantastic pianist/keyboard player and composer. He's in the studio as we speak recording a new "Agents of Mercy" album together with Roine Stolt (Transatlantic). Lalle also plays with Karmakanic and his own band Lalle Larsson's Weaveworld. Check that last band, features my good friend Walle Wahlgren on drums and he's amazing too! Lalle and me also did Electrocution-250 "Electric cartoon music from hell" together with american guitar wizard Todd Duane. Check this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4cCyvkZPOs
www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqTASEWuVIg

Ha ha, yeah I've been lurking in the shadows here. :) By the way, love your avatar!

wolfking
Great post Peter, thanks for your time, a real pleasure to have you here.  Oh, and not to sound like a pathetic fan, but your influence, drumming and vocals, helped make Static Impulse album of the year and really, one of the best albums I've heard in the last five years.

Wildoer
It's a pleasure finally being here! Wow, SI album of the year, cooooooool! I'm very flattered you think I helped make that a great album!!! :) Cheers

JasonScandopolous
Thanks for posting Mr. Wildoer!  Glad to have your insight on this, it is holding us over until the next video release by DT!

P.S. will check out static impulse later today, I figure I've got two reasons to do so now (JLB & your nice post).

Wildoer
I'm actually also looking forward to the next video! I think this is a cool way to present all this and I just love seeing the other drummers and their approach. I noticed a lot of people on different forums, news pages etc that really think this is stupid and a sell out. Personally I love to as much of my favourite bands/musicians and also as much behind the scenes as possible. We always do studio video diaries with Darkane because I want to see that stuff with my favourite bands. But I do understand everybody wants to know who the new drummer is.

Yeah, please check out Static Impulse, at least I of course think it's a great album!  ;)

Jamesman
Quote from: Wildoer on Today at 06:11:18 AM
All this said I can also add that I work as a math teacher.   

Hey, that's my major (for high school)! How do you like it?

Wildoer
Cool that math is your major. I've been teaching at a high school (students are between 16-19 years old) here in Sweden for the last eleven years and I like it. Wouldn't mind to play music full time though. I also tach drums as it's a "music school". One thing though is that most students don't like math but that just makes it more fun to try to make it interesting.

ReaPsTA
That's really cool to hear.  Sorry if anything I posted came off as presumptuous.
All of this was really interesting.  I enjoyed how even Virgil thought it was challenging.
If you have the time - How does being a math teacher influence you as a drummer?  Music and math seem to go together a lot, and you have a unique experience with that.
I enjoyed the videos and am looking forward to the English diary.  Thanks again for posting.

Wildoer
No worries! I personally think it's very hard to express nuances in text especially since I'm writing in english and I'm swedish.

Yeah, if Virgil think it's hard then IT IS HARD! :)

I've had a lot of use in thinking logical and seeing structures and systems in complex music. Especially when coming up with new practicing routines where you turn and twist the simplest exercises and put them together forward, backward etc. Also I've had a lot of use when "calculating" polyrhythms. I have a great way of learning polyrhythms and then learn to hear and feel them. Here's an example of some stuff that I like to do:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=c93Yk_9qKDs

At 0:21 it starts with some polyrhythmic improvisation and at 0:48 I first play two bars of normal 4/4, then at 0:51 the stack (my right hand) start playing 5 against 4 for two 4/4 bars and at 0:55 the snare and kick join the 5 against 4 playing a normal beat but in 5 against 4 turning into a polymetric beat as I like to call it. Very musch inspired by Virgil Donati!

I will post my system of learning polyrhythms on my webpage as soon as I can find the time.

So yes, I personally think math can be helpful at some points but doesn't really help with the groove.  ;)

bösk1
It's the "Forum VIP" user group, which is reserved for current and former band members and a few others who are close to the band in one capacity or another.  We have had a few people visit the forum from time to time who might fall into those categories, but I don't give that user group if they are posting here "under cover."  Peter is open about who he is, and given his work with James and his being part of the auditions, he definitely qualifies.

Wildoer
I'm honored!!! Thanks bösk1.  :tup

ricky
and wildoer, I know you are lurking in the shadows. you can't fool the big nasty.

Wildoer
You're right about that, muuuaaahhh hhaaa hhaaa ha ha ha ha........  :hat

Cheers and thanks for the war welcome over here! Hope this didn't turn out to be too long and no fun reading.
Peter

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #854 on: April 22, 2011, 05:15:09 PM »
It's just awesome that you take time out of your hectic schedule too answer folks questions.  You're definatly a class act Sir!  Thanks!!!

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #855 on: April 22, 2011, 05:17:45 PM »
i luv this guy <3

you are officially welcomed to the DT forums by the big nasty.

please post more?
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #856 on: April 22, 2011, 05:19:10 PM »
Thanks for the responses Peter. It's very thoughtful.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #857 on: April 22, 2011, 05:19:54 PM »
What a fucking amazing guy.  I'm gonna go listen to Expanding Senses!  :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #858 on: April 22, 2011, 05:21:36 PM »
Wow! You're really a great person!!

And also a great drummer, of course! :D Nice to have you here!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #859 on: April 22, 2011, 05:24:40 PM »
I'm actually also looking forward to the next video! I think this is a cool way to present all this and I just love seeing the other drummers and their approach. I noticed a lot of people on different forums, news pages etc that really think this is stupid and a sell out. Personally I love to as much of my favourite bands/musicians and also as much behind the scenes as possible.
I completely agree, and it's great to see you post as such! We do have our share of cynics here on the forum, but actually the feeling towards this documentary has been overwhelmingly positive here (just go here - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=22344.msg855308#top - to see 93% of people liking it) so I think compared to a lot of the internet, we don't do too badly. :biggrin:

What sort of impression have you got from the other guys about whether they like the documentary approach? I'm sure it will suit some of you more than others, but I was wondering if anyone seemed particularly unhappy with it or if everyone thought it was pretty cool.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #860 on: April 22, 2011, 05:31:47 PM »
Thanks a lot to all of you!

Makes it even more fun to post here.

Yes, it's very cool that most people like the documentary over here. I posted some thoughts on the Drummerworld forum but some people there really don't like it. I just think it's great to know that we'll see all these great drummers behind the scenes. I LOVE IT!  :tup

Cheers
Peter

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #861 on: April 22, 2011, 05:34:44 PM »
Thank YOU for posting here and sharing your experiences and perspective on all this.  We as fans are obviously eating it up.  Since the "official" band forums shut down a few years ago and I set up this place, we've sort of felt like the bastard step-children, so we love it when band members and those close to them drop in and share information.  

...Well, except for David Prater.  We pretty much did the Internet equivalent of tarring and feathering him and running him out of here on a rail.  But that's another story.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #862 on: April 22, 2011, 05:36:21 PM »
I just think it's great to know that we'll see all these great drummers behind the scenes.
Honestly, I can't wait for the rest of the videos/documentaries. I'm pumped!

Props to whoever came up with the idea  :metal

Offline j

« Reply #863 on: April 22, 2011, 05:36:54 PM »
P-Will,

I don't know anything about drumming, but I'm enjoying reading your insights.  Thanks for taking the time to post! :tup

-J

Offline bloop

• The opadismo
  • Mobilizing to contribute to the alliance
« Reply #864 on: April 22, 2011, 05:37:25 PM »
Mr. Wildoer, your avatar is incredible.   :tup

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #865 on: April 22, 2011, 05:43:10 PM »

Yes, it's very cool that most people like the documentary over here. I posted some thoughts on the Drummerworld forum but some people there really don't like it. I just think it's great to know that we'll see all these great drummers behind the scenes. I LOVE IT!  :tup

Cheers
Peter

+1

Like I said in the other thread, the documentary generates positive publicity not just for DT, but also ALL of the drummers involved.

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #866 on: April 22, 2011, 05:52:27 PM »

Ha ha, I just love LEGO. My son is five and that makes it legit for me to play with it!  :lol

A friend of mine built it for me.

Cheers

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #867 on: April 22, 2011, 05:53:44 PM »

Cheers
Peter

+1

Like I said in the other thread, the documentary generates positive publicity not just for DT, but also ALL of the drummers involved.

Ooohh, and thanks for the war welcome "Big Nasty"!!!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #868 on: April 22, 2011, 05:54:20 PM »
Thank YOU for posting here and sharing your experiences and perspective on all this.  We as fans are obviously eating it up.  Since the "official" band forums shut down a few years ago and I set up this place, we've sort of felt like the bastard step-children, so we love it when band members and those close to them drop in and share information.  

...Well, except for David Prater.  We pretty much did the Internet equivalent of tarring and feathering him and running him out of here on a rail.  But that's another story.  :lol

You know, I missed that (I think I was on a long study ban or my internet was down or something). What happened?

Offline STEVETHEATER

• Seize the day...
  • Carpe Diem!
« Reply #869 on: April 22, 2011, 06:01:44 PM »
DAMN!!!... isn't Peter just one of the coolest guys in rock today.... after MP ofcourse.  ;)  :P

Welcome to the forum Peter!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #870 on: April 22, 2011, 06:06:12 PM »
Thank YOU for posting here and sharing your experiences and perspective on all this.  We as fans are obviously eating it up.  Since the "official" band forums shut down a few years ago and I set up this place, we've sort of felt like the bastard step-children, so we love it when band members and those close to them drop in and share information. 

...Well, except for David Prater.  We pretty much did the Internet equivalent of tarring and feathering him and running him out of here on a rail.  But that's another story.  :lol

You know, I missed that (I think I was on a long study ban or my internet was down or something). What happened?

He is user Havona in this thread:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=207.msg50566#msg50566 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #871 on: April 22, 2011, 06:07:38 PM »

Ha ha, I just love LEGO. My son is five and that makes it legit for me to play with it!  :lol

A friend of mine built it for me.

Cheers

You can never be too old to play with LEGO  ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #872 on: April 22, 2011, 06:07:46 PM »
That's great that Peter W. is posting. It really is appreciated.

My question for Peter would be: Did John Myung actually speak to you during the audition? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #873 on: April 22, 2011, 06:22:11 PM »
Mr. Wildoer, you are awesome.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #874 on: April 22, 2011, 06:27:59 PM »
Yeah, did Myung speak...or tackle James?