Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 661172 times)

Offline jdprsaga

Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #806 on: April 22, 2011, 10:01:46 AM »
JP: "Dream Theater has never been just one person."

Does anybody else think that this was a sort of refutation of Portnoy's hefty control over the band in past years? As a sort of, "Look, those days are kaput."

I think it's a direct message telling why they did not accept MP requests.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #808 on: April 22, 2011, 10:06:40 AM »
LOL OMG.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about your place coming across as "negative" bosk. I mean, I think this place is a far cry more positive than most place on the interwebz. I'm sure Peter has been on Youtube before so I'd be very surprised if any negativity here (which is tame at best) would actually phase him

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #809 on: April 22, 2011, 10:12:19 AM »
Anyway, I wouldn't worry about your place coming across as "negative" bosk. I mean, I think this place is a far cry more positive than most place on the interwebz. I'm sure Peter has been on Youtube before so I'd be very surprised if any negativity here (which is tame at best) would actually phase him

I know.  But I can't help but think back to the first time I met Mike and was introduced to him as the forum admin for this place.  I was shocked at how visibly hurt he was over some things he had read here.  And while I feel he overreacted and focused too much on the negative and not on the overwhelming majority of positive comments that are usually here, it was a reminder to me that sometimes it is the few negative comments that can stick in people's minds.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #810 on: April 22, 2011, 10:15:10 AM »
You want to see a negative band forum?  Go to the Rush Counterparts forum. 

90% of the band forums I have seen over the years have been either way too fanboyish or way too critical (constructive criticism is never a bad thing, but when over the top criticism is levied in seemingly almost every thread, it is no good).  This is one of the very few that seems to have a good middle ground, which is probably why it is the one I have stuck with.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #811 on: April 22, 2011, 10:15:34 AM »

I know.  But I can't help but think back to the first time I met Mike and was introduced to him as the forum admin for this place.  I was shocked at how visibly hurt he was over some things he had read here.  And while I feel he overreacted and focused too much on the negative and not on the overwhelming majority of positive comments that are usually here, it was a reminder to me that sometimes it is the few negative comments that can stick in people's minds.

was this after he left the band? when you met him, i mean.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #812 on: April 22, 2011, 10:16:58 AM »
No.  It was before.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #813 on: April 22, 2011, 10:21:47 AM »
What I'm really excited about is to see the different approaches of the drummers to the songs they had to learn. I really hope to see a lot of variety.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #814 on: April 22, 2011, 10:25:41 AM »
I know.  But I can't help but think back to the first time I met Mike and was introduced to him as the forum admin for this place.  I was shocked at how visibly hurt he was over some things he had read here.  And while I feel he overreacted and focused too much on the negative and not on the overwhelming majority of positive comments that are usually here, it was a reminder to me that sometimes it is the few negative comments that can stick in people's minds.

Well just give me unchecked easily-abusable admin powers and I'll uh, make sure to follow SnakeEye's every post  :angel:
You want to see a negative band forum?  Go to the Rush Counterparts forum.  

90% of the band forums I have seen over the years have been either way too fanboyish or way too critical (constructive criticism is never a bad thing, but when over the top criticism is levied in seemingly almost every thread, it is no good).  This is one of the very few that seems to have a good middle ground, which is probably why it is the one I have stuck with.

The grass really is greener on the other side. For me, as a casual Rush fan who owns about half their albums, likes them, would go see them live but isn't obsessive, etc... I can't even fathom what kind of 'debates' are going on in the Rush world right now or have been... I‘d guess things are pretty similar for the average DT fan.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #815 on: April 22, 2011, 10:30:04 AM »
What I'm really excited about is to see the different approaches of the drummers to the songs they had to learn. I really hope to see a lot of variety.

rumborak

Yea, I'd love to see them put their take on it.  A different drummer's metronome might give a little spin to their songs.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #816 on: April 22, 2011, 10:33:58 AM »
Watched it again. I can't wait to see the full thing !
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #817 on: April 22, 2011, 10:43:12 AM »

Yea, I must have watched it like 20-25 times already.  I can't get enough. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #818 on: April 22, 2011, 10:44:54 AM »

Yea, I must have watched it like 20-25 times already.  I can't get enough. 

this

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #819 on: April 22, 2011, 11:02:38 AM »
"He wasn't trying to play Dream Theater, but he was being Dream Theater."
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #820 on: April 22, 2011, 11:03:27 AM »
From who?

Offline erik16

• The one on the right
« Reply #821 on: April 22, 2011, 12:35:53 PM »
I think it was James.

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #822 on: April 22, 2011, 01:20:34 PM »
I think it was James.

TWAS.  goosebumps

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #823 on: April 22, 2011, 02:13:30 PM »
I just realized one of my fav parts of the trailer is toward the end when The Count of Tuscany is playing in the background.  The footage quickly flips thru each drummer as they play along to that exact part of TCoT and it ends with a big splash by Wildoer as MP hits the splash.  Awesome.  It starts at like 2:23.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 02:19:08 PM by Mebert78 »

Offline JasonScandopolous

« Reply #824 on: April 22, 2011, 02:16:51 PM »
I just realized one of my fav parts of the trailer is toward the end when The Count of Tuscany is playing in the background.  The footage quickly flips thru each drummer as they play along to that exact part of TCoT and it ends with a big splash by Wildoer as MP hits the splash.  Awesome.  It starts at like 2:23.

Definetely my favorite part as well...

I'm going to show this to my g/f tonight, who has been patient with my DT obsession/fandom for years now... I wonder if she will think it's cool as I and most of us here do, or lame, as some here and most on MP's forum do (havent looked at opinion anywhere else yet).

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #825 on: April 22, 2011, 02:31:34 PM »
Don't know why but the clip of Mangini throwing the sticks away at the end pissed me off, as though he had the gig already. But I'm in a bad mood so maybe it's just that. Found it a bit arrogant.
On the plus side I got a funny feeling when I saw TL playing along to DT. He impresses me more than the other candidates.

I'd like to add my congrats to peter Wildoer for the great job on the drums on Static Impulse. As I've said before, the growls don't do it for me usually but I quite enjoy them on SI as a contrast to the mighty JLB.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #826 on: April 22, 2011, 02:36:05 PM »
Does Mangini have blue streaks in his hair at 1:05?  Looks like he does, but I'm not sure.  That's very MP-ish!

EDIT: No streaks in the later close-up of Mangini, so maybe it's just my computer.  Never mind.

Offline nikostheater

« Reply #827 on: April 22, 2011, 02:44:33 PM »
I think the documentary is very cool thing from the band to do..i love it.
I am like Mebert here,i am watching all the time the trailer and i can't wait!

I know that Mangini is the most probable candidate but i am rooting for Peter Wildoer also.
His work on Static Impulse blew me away and i think from what i saw that he had a good time at the auditions..

Offline D_Halco

« Reply #828 on: April 22, 2011, 02:44:56 PM »
Greetings all,

Somewhere-between-long-and-short-time reader and first-time poster.  Been a DT fan for a few years now, so obviously I cannot speak from a perspective of having been there since the beginning but I do consider myself a bigger-than-average fan, these guys have been a positive influence on my personal musical landscape since 2006 and there are varying things I enjoy about every single one of their albums (besides the first which I have not heard yet).

Anyway, about this documentary: I think at first I was taken aback by the fact that DT actually had a doc made about the process of finding a new drummer, and resistant to the idea.  Now after having thought about it and seeing the trailer for it, I think this doc looks to be not only very exciting and enjoyable but very insightful as well, a more personal look into the collaborative process that these guys share.  Also, besides raising the stock of the band considerably, I believe it can only help the portfolio of each drummer who auditioned as well (If resumes actually exist for musicians, to be able to put on there 'Chosen to audition for progressive metal band Dream Theater' would be a dream come true for ANY drummer!)

In the end it is win-win for all involved: the band, the drummers, and the fans.  I really am excited to see this thing when it is released and cannot wait until DT11 comes out! 

Anywho, nice to meet all of ya and look forward to the lively discussions I will inevitably take part of!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #829 on: April 22, 2011, 02:55:14 PM »
Welcome!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #830 on: April 22, 2011, 02:57:28 PM »
Greetings all,

Somewhere-between-long-and-short-time reader and first-time poster.  Been a DT fan for a few years now, so obviously I cannot speak from a perspective of having been there since the beginning but I do consider myself a bigger-than-average fan, these guys have been a positive influence on my personal musical landscape since 2006 and there are varying things I enjoy about every single one of their albums (besides the first which I have not heard yet).

Anyway, about this documentary: I think at first I was taken aback by the fact that DT actually had a doc made about the process of finding a new drummer, and resistant to the idea.  Now after having thought about it and seeing the trailer for it, I think this doc looks to be not only very exciting and enjoyable but very insightful as well, a more personal look into the collaborative process that these guys share.  Also, besides raising the stock of the band considerably, I believe it can only help the portfolio of each drummer who auditioned as well (If resumes actually exist for musicians, to be able to put on there 'Chosen to audition for progressive metal band Dream Theater' would be a dream come true for ANY drummer!)

In the end it is win-win for all involved: the band, the drummers, and the fans.  I really am excited to see this thing when it is released and cannot wait until DT11 comes out! 

Anywho, nice to meet all of ya and look forward to the lively discussions I will inevitably take part of!

+1

I agree. Not only did this whole documentary deal reinstall interest in the whole drummer situation, it will also give that "behind the scenes" aspect MP brought that people have been wanting.

hitting two stones with one bird, right?
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #831 on: April 22, 2011, 02:57:45 PM »
On the plus side I got a funny feeling when I saw TL playing along to DT. He impresses me more than the other candidates.

I know what you mean; he seemed quite serious and intent on playing. From a few videos I've seen of him, he struck me as a fairly relaxed, and playful guy. Add in his comment about trying to find "a home in a band," and he seems to really want to be there. Personally, I'm rooting for either him or Mangini as the drummer.

Nice to meet you, Halco. Welcome to the forum!

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #832 on: April 22, 2011, 03:09:18 PM »

rumborak

Yeah. I'm wondering if any of them decided to maybe go off track and 'ad lib' a bit or if they just robotically played MP's parts.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline D_Halco

« Reply #833 on: April 22, 2011, 03:13:03 PM »
@Ricky-Agreed!

@Aramatheis & hefdaddy42-Thank and and it's great to be here!

Everyone give me a while so's I can figure out how to do the whole "quoting" thing! (I'm 25 and have an iPhone but I'll be damned if I can figure out message board controls easily!)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #834 on: April 22, 2011, 03:15:49 PM »
I think we need to start a petition demanding that the band include Jordan's "You Wanna Know Who The Drummer Is?" video on the inevitable DVD release.

Offline jmbeat

« Reply #835 on: April 22, 2011, 03:17:26 PM »
I don't know if this has been said but I love the fact that it's James to give the news to the new drummer.
"So just shut your face and take a seat because after all you're just talking meat.....and music?  Well that's just entertainment folks.---Devin Townsend

"I'm not drinking until Saturday"---My Wife;)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #836 on: April 22, 2011, 03:18:23 PM »
I don't know if this has been said but I love the fact that it's James to give the news to the new drummer.

I can't decide whether that part is real or whether it was just staged for dramatic effect for the video.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #837 on: April 22, 2011, 03:20:36 PM »

I can't decide whether that part is real or whether it was just staged for dramatic effect for the video.

I think it was real, but made more dramatic because it was being filmed.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #838 on: April 22, 2011, 03:21:47 PM »

I wonder how many times they filmed it. Like if they got his voicemail the first time. Those would be great outtakes.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #839 on: April 22, 2011, 03:23:31 PM »

I wonder how many times they filmed it. Like if they got his voicemail the first time. Those would be great outtakes.

Or if he hung up on them the first time thinking it was a prank call.  :lol