Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 661242 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #735 on: April 22, 2011, 05:59:08 AM »
First, let me add the obligatory, thanks for posting, Peter, its very cool you took the time to pop on in.
I do have a question for anyone who can answer. Who is the much older guy in the auditions? He looks like Micky Thomas from Jefferson Starship.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #736 on: April 22, 2011, 06:05:10 AM »
Wait a second, you drummed on Seven Deadly Pieces?

I've been wanting to check that out since I first saw that trailer you posted, which must've been around 2006.
Great music, great drumming. And how awesome that you've been lurking here and now even posting here!

Thanks for all the info!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #737 on: April 22, 2011, 06:08:19 AM »
Thanks so much for posting Peter.  It's great to see great musicians posting here on DT. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #738 on: April 22, 2011, 06:09:51 AM »
It's great to see great musicians posting here on DT. 

Aww thanks man.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #739 on: April 22, 2011, 06:12:18 AM »
First, let me add the obligatory, thanks for posting, Peter, its very cool you took the time to pop on in.
I do have a question for anyone who can answer. Who is the much older guy in the auditions? He looks like Micky Thomas from Jefferson Starship.
Can someone please, "take the time" and answer my inquiry please?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #740 on: April 22, 2011, 06:13:16 AM »
It's great to see great musicians posting here on DT. 

Aww thanks man.

When I typed that I was wondering who would be the first to do this. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #741 on: April 22, 2011, 06:13:35 AM »
Great post Peter, thanks for your time, a real pleasure to have you here.  Oh, and not to sound like a pathetic fan, but your influence, drumming and vocals, helped make Static Impulse album of the year and really, one of the best albums I've heard in the last five years.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #742 on: April 22, 2011, 06:14:25 AM »

I think you're talking about Mike Mangini.  He had the part down the middle with the hair not yet touching the shoulders.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: April 22, 2011, 06:16:16 AM »

Someone looking like this?

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: April 22, 2011, 06:16:57 AM »
Oh wait, now I look at it again, I guess you mean Virgil Donati. This guy?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: April 22, 2011, 06:17:42 AM »

Do you mean Derek Roddy.  Can you quote a timestamp?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #746 on: April 22, 2011, 06:20:19 AM »
Hello Peter, and thanks for posting. Always interesting to get more insight about the audition. Hope you'll stick around for a while. :)
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline SixDegrees

« Reply #747 on: April 22, 2011, 06:23:10 AM »
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 03:24:06 AM by SixDegrees »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: April 22, 2011, 06:28:47 AM »
Very cool to see you posting here, Peter!  Glad we didn't scare you off.  Thanks for taking the time to let us a bit more about the auditions! 

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #749 on: April 22, 2011, 06:31:09 AM »
Welcome to the forum Peter, onwards and upwards man! Now you've auditioned for DT I wouldn't be suprised if you get countless bands asking you to join :)

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #750 on: April 22, 2011, 06:35:35 AM »
Oh wait, now I look at it again, I guess you mean Virgil Donati. This guy?

That would be the guy! Thanks. Am I off in saying he resembles Mickey Thomas? Especially if you've seen Micky lately. They look very similar.

Offline alexbio

« Reply #751 on: April 22, 2011, 06:36:31 AM »
Ok in my opinion is Mike Mangini.
-Check out the video at 2.10, they show a drumset.
-Compare that drumset with the one Mangini is using at 2.45, you'll definitely see that the look exactly the same.
-Unless they want to fool us with this video-trick, he's gonna be the drummer.
-You can find a collage picture on my wall to prove that what i'm saying might be true.

I bet 100 bucks that Mangini is the drummer!! DT are you gonna pay for that? :-)

file:///C:/users/alessandro/My%20Pictures/dream_theater_video_collage.bmp

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: April 22, 2011, 06:45:04 AM »
Its been explained that all of the drummers used the same kit.  Doesn't mean anything.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #753 on: April 22, 2011, 06:45:25 AM »
I agree that it is most likely Mangini, but not for any of the reasons you just posted. All 7 drummers used the same kit for the auditions.

EDIT: ninja'd

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #754 on: April 22, 2011, 06:50:18 AM »
Thanks for posting Peter and welcome to the forum! Very cool of you to give us a bit more insight into the audition process, I look forward to seeing the videos and to reading your diary.

Offline thyer

« Reply #755 on: April 22, 2011, 07:00:50 AM »
now mike Mangini web site will be update in may ;-)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #756 on: April 22, 2011, 07:07:42 AM »
Wow, this video raised my interest again! :) I like how they let the fans know who the drummer candidates were. It's also nice to hear some info from Peter himself!

Offline JasonScandopolous

« Reply #757 on: April 22, 2011, 07:17:29 AM »
Thanks for posting Mr. Wildoer!  Glad to have your insight on this, it is holding us over until the next video release by DT!

P.S. will check out static impulse later today, I figure I've got two reasons to do so now (JLB & your nice post).

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #758 on: April 22, 2011, 08:23:56 AM »
All this said I can also add that I work as a math teacher.   

Hey, that's my major (for high school)! How do you like it?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #759 on: April 22, 2011, 08:24:50 AM »
Hey there!

Well finally I feel I can post here. I've been following this forum quite closely since September and I want to thank you all for entertaining reading! Most of all I'm very impressed with the detective work around here and the enormous commitment concerning the audition, fantastic fans!

Thanks for posting!

I have so many things I've read over the last months that I would like to comment. I don't remember all and I'm not sure how much I can say without destroying the next video(s). I've been a DT fan since I saw the "Pull me under" video on MTV's Headbanger's Ball in the spring of 1993 and I don't consider myself being a guy that just wanted a gig and not being a fan like some may think!

That's really cool to hear.  Sorry if anything I posted came off as presumptuous.

I want to clarify one thing that was discussed here yesterday regarding the odd meter "test" the guys threw at us. First of all it was not like the normal rehearsal auditioning for DT, I mean it's DT! I was nervous for a month before the audition and when they told me they wanted to try some new ideas and then when they started playing the first idea I almost froze, ha ha ha. I could almost not hear what they were playing! I promise it was not easy.

Well, the guys are very humble and fantastic individuals and told me all the other drummers were kind of surprised too when presented to this test and that it was cool. Like already quoted here I got my head around it so and so and one idea we even jammed around. At the day of my audition even Virgil told me that I was in for a treat at some point on the audition, didn't make me less nervous, ha ha ha!!! All this said I can also add that I work as a math teacher.   ;)  I guess I'm the only one out of all the seven that don't do music full time but work a normal day job.

All of this was really interesting.  I enjoyed how even Virgil thought it was challenging.

If you have the time - How does being a math teacher influence you as a drummer?  Music and math seem to go together a lot, and you have a unique experience with that.

I enjoyed the videos and am looking forward to the English diary.  Thanks again for posting.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #760 on: April 22, 2011, 08:32:50 AM »
Hey guys. I've been really busy the past few days. Seems like a ton of information has come out. I don't think I have time right now to go back through the thread so if someone doesn't mind, could someone fill me in?

Sorry for being lazy.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #761 on: April 22, 2011, 08:37:52 AM »
Hey guys. I've been really busy the past few days. Seems like a ton of information has come out. I don't think I have time right now to go back through the thread so if someone doesn't mind, could someone fill me in?

Sorry for being lazy.

4/21/2011:  DT release video trailer of the new drummer auditions on the band's Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dream-Theater/7677942180).  The video reveals that the following seven drummers auditioned:  1. Mike Mangini 2. Thomas Lang 3. Virgil Donati 4. Marco Minnemann 5. Aquiles Priester 6. Derek Roddy 7. Peter Wildoer.  We still do NOT know when the full video will be released, in what format (online/bonus content with new album/one video vs. several/etc.) or when the new drummer will be announced.

Drummer World thread with some really good posts by Derek Roddy and Peter Wildoer on the auditions.

https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74093

Excerpt from njdfan's FB chat with Wildoer:

Peter Wildoer -My audition started with two jams where we set the levels for in ears and just felt eachother out, musically that is. ;-) After that we went through the three songs they sent me. I guess you'll get to know what songs it was on the next ep...isode of the DT video. ;-) At last they wanted to try some new ideas. This was HAAAAAAAAARD! The ideas were in weird odd times and not one bar with the same meter. Very cool ideas and I got my head around it so and so after a while. If those ideas end up on the new DT album it will be PROG! :-)
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #762 on: April 22, 2011, 08:44:23 AM »
Wow. Sounds like you guys had a great time Wildoer. Feels good knowing all the auditionees are real cool people and are connecting with us DT fans.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline emtee

« Reply #763 on: April 22, 2011, 08:50:08 AM »
VERY surprised the drummers were allowed to say ANYTHING publicly about the process until the final guy
was named. I thought they would all have to sign confidentiality clauses, gag orders...etc. Interesting
comments by them so far. It will be very interesting to see what the new guy is allowed to offer from a
creative perspective...or if DT just wanted someone to come in a lay down what they envisioned, at least
for this one album anyways.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #764 on: April 22, 2011, 08:54:00 AM »
Peter, thanks for taking the time to post here.  It means at lot to us as fans and a lot to me as the guy who runs this place.  

Hopefully, if you see some comments from people that come across as negative or critical, you won't be put off by that.  This is a fan site, but we try to keep things somewhat loose and allow people to express criticism and dislikes right along with their praises and their likes.  Sometimes, it's easier to be brought down by the few negative statements and lose sight of the many positives.  But I find that, oftentimes, those who are the most outspoken about their musical dislikes are also the ones who will turn right around and be just as outspoken about the things that they like, so it all kinda comes out in the wash for the most part.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jsem

« Reply #765 on: April 22, 2011, 08:55:30 AM »
Subscribed to your youtube channel.  :metal :metal :metal

I loved the "making of Static Impulse" videos, whoever put those up. Swedish countryside epicness. Thanks for posting here Peter!

Offline erik16

• The one on the right
« Reply #766 on: April 22, 2011, 08:57:40 AM »
One idea that has been tossed around a few times is that you can see from the video a nugget that betrays it's Mike Mangini. If that's true then the nugget is as follows:
At 2:10 in the video *snip* the voiceover says: "a new member behind the kit" and then it shows a kit with Zildjian cymbals and two Crash symbals uphigh. Then at 2:44 there's a short view of Mike Mangini and he is using the same cymbals and the same setup. So this could be a hint, a distraction or just a random drumset at 2:10. I think it's either a hint or a random set.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 08:59:32 AM by bösk1 »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #767 on: April 22, 2011, 09:00:29 AM »
Please do NOT post links to YouTube.  At least for now, the band does not want the video linked from anywhere outside Facebook, and management has been having YouTube take it down when people have posted it there.  Thank you.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JPX

« Reply #768 on: April 22, 2011, 09:01:08 AM »
It will be very interesting to see what the new guy is allowed to offer from a
creative perspective...or if DT just wanted someone to come in a lay down what they envisioned, at least for this one album anyways.

Why would DT get an elite, world class drummer then dictate exactly what they play? Not only that but JP, JM, JR and JLB aren't drummers, so at the most they might suggest a time or feel.
Also from the 'test' that Peter mentioned, it seemed like they wanted to see what these guys could come back with on original passages which to me says they wanted to see their personalities as a drummer come through.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #769 on: April 22, 2011, 09:01:13 AM »
They all used the same set.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD