Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 661304 times)

Offline njdtfan

Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #700 on: April 21, 2011, 09:06:21 PM »
Further more both Peter & Roddy both explained what their feelings were and the process of the auditions, seperate comments that both say the same thing regarding the process.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #701 on: April 21, 2011, 09:08:01 PM »
I understand what Roddy is trying to say about writing and I kinda agree with him.

True, but for an audition it's hard to work that way.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #702 on: April 21, 2011, 09:10:43 PM »
@ Reapsta. I did not make it up at all. and Peter would attest to it. In fact, I could post the exact conversation from him. link and all. I respect Peter as a person & musician and totally beleive what he told me.

Sorry if I caused offense.  I obviously can't be 100% certain, but I believe you're telling the truth.
No offense at all dude ;D. Trust me, i believe 1/2 of what I read on the internet. But when I say what Peter told me, I beleive it. I am in NO WAY trying to cause commotion. Just relaying (with Peters blessing) the convo.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #703 on: April 21, 2011, 10:52:01 PM »
interesting roddy quote

"
As far as the band being up front with their fans.......I'm sure they want too but, there are some legal issues that needs to be addressed and that takes precedence over what "can be said or announced".

I'm sure you guys can figure it out......and, I am certain that they knew who they wanted before these auditions were even thought about.

One thing that was said directly to me was....."whoever it will be.....it's got to be the fans choice...someone the fans are completely happy with".

D "

Online Adami

« Reply #704 on: April 21, 2011, 10:53:33 PM »
He seems rather passive aggressive.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #705 on: April 21, 2011, 11:04:46 PM »
From Derek Roddy (sorry if this has already been posted) :

I was very busy during that time period....only had a few weeks to learn a 20 minute song, a ballad, and a tech song with 30 part changes within the space of 3 minutes! Haha.

So, it's pretty safe to say the tech song was TDOE. 20 minutes song? My call is TCOT since it's the song in the trailer and all the drummer seem to be playing that song at the end. I have no idea which ballad they played though.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 11:11:46 PM by Nic35 »
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Online Adami

« Reply #706 on: April 21, 2011, 11:07:25 PM »
TDEN? Seems more like TDOE.

Also, every post of his really comes across as bitter.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #707 on: April 21, 2011, 11:11:32 PM »
Yeah I meant TDOE.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #708 on: April 21, 2011, 11:16:22 PM »
I want to say the ballad is TSCO.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #709 on: April 21, 2011, 11:24:36 PM »
Technical song was obviously The Dance of Eternity or Metropolis Pt. 1, and from the trailor the 20 minute song is obviously The Count of Tuscany, but I would bet the ballad was Wither as the song is new and played on the last tour like all the other songs I just mentioned.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #710 on: April 21, 2011, 11:26:33 PM »
Vacant.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #711 on: April 21, 2011, 11:49:37 PM »

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #712 on: April 21, 2011, 11:59:42 PM »
Regarding song choice, didn't Zeleny confirm that the three songs were TDOE, TSCO, and ANTR?

Online Adami

« Reply #713 on: April 22, 2011, 12:16:39 AM »
Regarding song choice, didn't Zeleny confirm that the three songs were TDOE, TSCO, and ANTR?

Even though the video strongly suggested TCOT, ANTR makes more sense since it doesn't have a 5 or 6 minute section without drums along with a decently long intro with no drums.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline j

« Reply #714 on: April 22, 2011, 12:36:56 AM »
He seems rather passive aggressive.

I probably shouldn't make assumptions, but I get this vibe too.

-J

Offline STEVETHEATER

• Seize the day...
  • Carpe Diem!
« Reply #715 on: April 22, 2011, 01:59:04 AM »
Not to be a total douchebag here, but how is it possible that a band like DT don't how to use their own font!
That font is dead wrong!!!! I don't blame the guys but I sure hope this font will not end up on the artwork...

... please no!  :|

Steve

Offline thyer

« Reply #716 on: April 22, 2011, 02:06:28 AM »
I hope in Virgil Donati or Marco Minnemann...but the Mike Mangini web site is on restyle for a few months (in april will be the newone...coincidence?)

At the bottom of the heart I tought for a surprise: "we didin't choose anyone because Mike is caming back"...dreams!!!

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #717 on: April 22, 2011, 03:38:32 AM »
Regarding the sickdrummer article that was debunked, they have now backed down from it:

https://www.sickdrummermagazine.com/index.php/news/latest-news/2208-dream-theater-drummer-auditions-revised.html

Offline majo

« Reply #718 on: April 22, 2011, 03:41:41 AM »
si I watched the video and these are words that came to my mind: ridiculous, pathetic and wtf?
then I read about movie... :\
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #719 on: April 22, 2011, 03:48:17 AM »
I understand what Roddy is trying to say about writing and I kinda agree with him.
I don't believe there is any "right" or "wrong" way to approach music - that's just the way DT do things and they like it and it works for them. Obviously Roddy doesn't dig it so he probably wasn't the right fit, and that's all he said really, although he did come across as just slightly arrogant about it.

Interesting, I don't get that vibe at all. He seems to have enjoyed the process but felt that he wouldn't be the right fit for DT anyway because of a different approach to writing music.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #720 on: April 22, 2011, 03:53:27 AM »
The video was so much fun.  :metal

I recognized most of the guys, but I have no idea which ones are Wildoer, Lang and Roddy.

Offline roccer

« Reply #721 on: April 22, 2011, 04:10:16 AM »
interesting roddy quote

"
One thing that was said directly to me was....."whoever it will be.....it's got to be the fans choice...someone the fans are completely happy with".

D "

But the fans want Lang  :'( Ok seriously, for some reason I doubt someone from the band said these exact words...

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #722 on: April 22, 2011, 04:36:06 AM »
Interesting, I don't get that vibe at all.

"Not at all" would be a bit too much. He didn't really sound bitter, but a certain amount of disappointment that shines through can't be overlooked imo. Perhaps he expected another way of approaching things like jamming and stuff or just wasn't happy with it.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #723 on: April 22, 2011, 04:44:28 AM »
Yeah disappointed that it didn't work out, I can definitely see that. But I don't see any connection between that and bitterness; he seems perfectly happy with how things turned out in the end.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #724 on: April 22, 2011, 05:07:07 AM »
Peter Wildoer: All drummers used the same kit, yes. Auditions were held in New York so no chance to bring my own.    Nice bit of info there.

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
« Reply #725 on: April 22, 2011, 05:11:18 AM »
Hey there!

Well finally I feel I can post here. I've been following this forum quite closely since September and I want to thank you all for entertaining reading! Most of all I'm very impressed with the detective work around here and the enormous commitment concerning the audition, fantastic fans!

One thing I'm still learning are all the abbreviation you and all DT (see even I use these abbreviations now, ha ha ha) fans use like JP, JR, ANTR etc... It's like you have your own language.   ;)

I have so many things I've read over the last months that I would like to comment. I don't remember all and I'm not sure how much I can say without destroying the next video(s). I've been a DT fan since I saw the "Pull me under" video on MTV's Headbanger's Ball in the spring of 1993 and I don't consider myself being a guy that just wanted a gig and not being a fan like some may think!

First of all, I'm by far the least known guy out of all the drummers and I'm extremely flattered to be part of this drummer list!!! All the other drummers are my drumming heroes and I have lots of albums, DVDs, books from all of them.

I want to clarify one thing that was discussed here yesterday regarding the odd meter "test" the guys threw at us. First of all it was not like the normal rehearsal auditioning for DT, I mean it's DT! I was nervous for a month before the audition and when they told me they wanted to try some new ideas and then when they started playing the first idea I almost froze, ha ha ha. I could almost not hear what they were playing! I promise it was not easy.

Well, the guys are very humble and fantastic individuals and told me all the other drummers were kind of surprised too when presented to this test and that it was cool. Like already quoted here I got my head around it so and so and one idea we even jammed around. At the day of my audition even Virgil told me that I was in for a treat at some point on the audition, didn't make me less nervous, ha ha ha!!! All this said I can also add that I work as a math teacher.   ;)  I guess I'm the only one out of all the seven that don't do music full time but work a normal day job.

Here are two videos where I play more polymetric and "avantgarde" stuff. Just want to show you who don't know that I play more than death and thrash metal:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUC6Dy7D4i4
Read the description for the clip above, makes more sense then.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktLA0RfrYLc

I've written a quite extensive "diary" in swedish from the day I got the mail where I was asked if I wanted to audition up until after the auditions. It will be published in a swedish drum magazine soon. I'm working on getting it translated to english asap. So if you're interested in my personal view and thoughts together with facts about my audition then I'll keep you posted.  :)

I have my newly designed website www.peterwildoer.com up and running and will post more news there as soon as I can.

To Mladen: I'm the guy at 1:39, Lang at 1:44 and Roddy at 2:02.

Cheers and Stay metal!
Peter Wildoer

Offline tumbok

« Reply #726 on: April 22, 2011, 05:23:09 AM »
Peter Wildoer.

The respect and acknowledgement will raise much much for you from now on.

A Math Teacher Amazing Drummer!

:tup

Offline robwebster

« Reply #727 on: April 22, 2011, 05:23:38 AM »
Well finally I feel I can post here. I've been following this forum quite closely since September and I want to thank you all for entertaining reading! Most of all I'm very impressed with the detective work around here and the enormous commitment concerning the audition, fantastic fans!
Oh brilliant! Who's your favourite member? It's me, right?

Genuinely though, lovely to see you, and cheers for going to the trouble to speak to us 'orrible lot. Really exciting to hear about the process from "your end."

How much were you communicating with the other drummers throughout the process? What with speaking to Virgil and all that.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #728 on: April 22, 2011, 05:27:05 AM »
Thanks for posting Peter, very nice to hear from you and to get some insight into how things went!

And yes I think we can all agree that robwebster is the best. :biggrin:

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #729 on: April 22, 2011, 05:28:11 AM »
Welcome to the forums! Most of us loved Static Impulse around here. I'm definitely interesting in that piece you're working on translating into English, too.

If you're the guy I think you'll do a fine job. Without getting into the technical stuff, you're definitely the most badass looking drummer who auditioned!  ;D

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #730 on: April 22, 2011, 05:46:30 AM »
Haha, I saw the name "Wildoer" as the most recently registered member and wondered if it was you! Thanks for posting and giving us this information, very cool :)

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #731 on: April 22, 2011, 05:46:45 AM »
Wow, thanks Peter!

As for me, it's incredible to read that after 25 years DT are still in such an honored, and somehow venerated, position among international musicians. I mean, we all know they are good, but they seems they're still over the top.

As for you, despite your surprise reading you were among those 7, if you got the call it means you definitely can. So, props Peter!.  

Offline roccer

« Reply #732 on: April 22, 2011, 05:50:14 AM »
Thanks for posting Peter. We hope to keep hearing from you here. I' m sure you did great at the audition, and hopefully we will watch all the auditons soon :)

PS. I remembered how I had loled at this...
hi everyone.  i just wanted to say i am not the new drummer for dream theater.  I did not even heard of dream theater until someone ask me am i new drummer.  sorry to disappoint you all.  keep it metal.

AP

Offline Mladen

« Reply #733 on: April 22, 2011, 05:52:32 AM »
To Mladen: I'm the guy at 1:39, Lang at 1:44 and Roddy at 2:02.
Thanks for that, Peter.  :) I wasn't too familiar with your work when Mike left the band, but after hearing your incredible drumming on Static impulse, you were my first choice for the new Dream Theater drummer, even though I had no idea what you look like.  ;D I'm blown away by your playing, and even though I have a feeling you're not the new drummer, I'll be following what you're doing in the future. Great to hear from you.  :tup
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 06:14:18 AM by Mladen »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #734 on: April 22, 2011, 05:57:23 AM »
Thanks for posting Peter. We hope to keep hearing from you here. I' m sure you did great at the audition, and hopefully we will watch all the auditons soon :)

PS. I remembered how I had loled at this...
hi everyone.  i just wanted to say i am not the new drummer for dream theater.  I did not even heard of dream theater until someone ask me am i new drummer.  sorry to disappoint you all.  keep it metal.

AP
:lol That one was a joke account, but as far as I can tell, Peter is legit.

I be am boner inducing.