Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 661138 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #665 on: April 21, 2011, 06:25:53 PM »
Well, its a good thing I don't watch reality shows. It just sounded like a movie trailor.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #666 on: April 21, 2011, 06:30:16 PM »
More importantly ZB, it's already been confirmed by Roddy and Wildoer that the claims in that article are nonsense and that DT were completely nice and up front about everything. Reposting it when it's already been debunked by the people who auditioned seems a bit strange.

See, this would have been nice to know. Bosk didn't mention that, and as I said I didn't get a chance to read through 15+ pages to see if it had been debunked.

Maybe Bosk was annoyed at the tone of your "maybe this has been fully explained, but F.U. bosk.  I can't be bothered to find out, so I'm just going to post it anyway" post (not to mention the other crap you've been pulling around here lately).

Look, I'm not going to argue and derail the thread and give you material to ban me with (which is clearly what you want), but my OP was NOTHING of that extent. There were 15 pages, did you honestly expect me to read through all of them in 10 minutes? I was around earlier today when that was posted, and just came back a little bit ago. I figured if I simply quoted a post to raise discussion, that would be ok. If there was already more discussion on it than the five posts I saw, I figured that would have been stated and we could just have moved on. Wouldn't derail the thread or anything, simple as that. You could have just said "We already discussed that, parts of the article regarding the treatment of the drummer have been proven false". Instead you posted a very sarcastic and rude reply to me.

You're acting as if I reposted the article to spite you or something. I just reposted an article man. Calm down. And I don't know what "other crap" I've been pulling around here, but I would like to hear it if you want to PM me and discuss this further.

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #667 on: April 21, 2011, 06:33:00 PM »
I think the whole documentary is just a big front and at the end of it we'll find out the new drummer is actually just a new app from JR called DrumWiz.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #668 on: April 21, 2011, 06:34:39 PM »
More importantly ZB, it's already been confirmed by Roddy and Wildoer that the claims in that article are nonsense and that DT were completely nice and up front about everything. Reposting it when it's already been debunked by the people who auditioned seems a bit strange.

See, this would have been nice to know. Bosk didn't mention that, and as I said I didn't get a chance to read through 15+ pages to see if it had been debunked.

Maybe Bosk was annoyed at the tone of your "maybe this has been fully explained, but F.U. bosk.  I can't be bothered to find out, so I'm just going to post it anyway" post (not to mention the other crap you've been pulling around here lately).

Look, I'm not going to argue and derail the thread and give you material to ban me with (which is clearly what you want), but my OP was NOTHING of that extent. There were 15 pages, did you honestly expect me to read through all of them in 10 minutes? I was around earlier today when that was posted, and just came back a little bit ago. I figured if I simply quoted a post to raise discussion, that would be ok. If there was already more discussion on it than the five posts I saw, I figured that would have been stated and we could just have moved on. Wouldn't derail the thread or anything, simple as that. You could have just said "We already discussed that, parts of the article regarding the treatment of the drummer have been proven false". Instead you posted a very sarcastic and rude reply to me.

You're acting as if I reposted the article to spite you or something. I just reposted an article man. Calm down. And I don't know what "other crap" I've been pulling around here, but I would like to hear it if you want to PM me and discuss this further.

zbomber, you my homie, but i just gotta say, it's never a good idea to argue with mods.

...especially the bosk.

while im sure you make valid points, try not to go overboard, ight bro? (trust me).

anyways,

yah.

mangini.

There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Aniland

« Reply #669 on: April 21, 2011, 06:48:25 PM »
Look, I'm not going to argue and derail the thread and give you material to ban me with (which is clearly what you want),

:tup

But *goes onto derailing thread*

:facepalm:

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #670 on: April 21, 2011, 06:49:46 PM »
Why don't we just go back to the discussion at hand. If bosk wants to talk about this, we can do it via PM.

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #671 on: April 21, 2011, 06:50:42 PM »
Look, I'm not going to argue and derail the thread and give you material to ban me with (which is clearly what you want),

so, roddy and wildoer (sp?) are out.

that leaves 5.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #672 on: April 21, 2011, 06:51:18 PM »
Why don't we just go back to the discussion at hand. If bosk wants to talk about this, we can do it via PM.

Yup.  I'd hate to see you take some time off.  

BTW, I wound when the next video will be released?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #673 on: April 21, 2011, 06:56:59 PM »
I love the DT video.  But for some reason it makes me kinda sad seeing how the drummers' eyes are all glowing with hope and excitement, but sadly the odds are they won't get chosen.  They all want it so bad, but there's just one spot.  I just feel bad seeing that idk lol.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #674 on: April 21, 2011, 07:01:23 PM »
Yeah, that's exactly the same vibe you'd get from The Apprentice.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #675 on: April 21, 2011, 07:01:34 PM »
Parts of that voiceover couldn't have been more cheesy!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #676 on: April 21, 2011, 07:02:20 PM »

so, roddy and wildoer (sp?) are out.

that leaves 5.

Priester and Minneman are both supposedly on tour, have been, and will be for a while, right? That leaves 3.  :P

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: April 21, 2011, 07:02:30 PM »
Where can I find the videos everybody is talking about?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #678 on: April 21, 2011, 07:02:50 PM »
Facebook bro

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #679 on: April 21, 2011, 07:03:03 PM »

You obviously don't watch much SciFi Channel.  :blob:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #680 on: April 21, 2011, 07:05:23 PM »

You obviously don't watch much SciFi Channel.  :blob:
I actually don't. The only thing I've ever watch from Syfy was Battlestar Galactica and I watched it on video.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline bloop

• The opadismo
  • Mobilizing to contribute to the alliance
« Reply #681 on: April 21, 2011, 07:11:06 PM »
"Can Dream Theater find a new brother behind the kit?" (Count of Tuscany playing in the background)

NUGGETZ

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #682 on: April 21, 2011, 07:16:39 PM »
Good God that was crazy cheesy, I hope they drop the fat house wives reality show tone in the next video.
All the drummers faces are new to me, they all seem to have cool personalities.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline webpoet73

• DT.net Veteran
  • I am like a ghost...
« Reply #683 on: April 21, 2011, 07:23:27 PM »
I didn't like the Terms of Service for the app that has to be joined, so I guess I don't get to see the video.  I sure don't want to agree to let them spam me.  "DTR Music may email me directly at " the email address I use to log on.  

Offline JasonScandopolous

« Reply #684 on: April 21, 2011, 07:39:52 PM »
Wildoer seems to be very down to earth about this, as he says that it was unexpected for him to be asked to audition, and he couldn't believe it. He seems a very cool guy.
To be honest at the beginning of the speculations about the drummer, i was hoping for Donati to get the gig, but after watching this video i think i would love to see either Minnemann or Mangini as the new drummer.
Those guys seemed to have the most fun and are more exciting to watch while playing.

And this is based on watching each of them say maybe two sentences, in maybe 10 seconds of video each?  LOL.  Not that I know anything about any of the candidates, but, you've got to admit that drawing conclusions from this clip is a bit ridiculous.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #685 on: April 21, 2011, 07:43:42 PM »
I didn't like the Terms of Service for the app that has to be joined, so I guess I don't get to see the video.  I sure don't want to agree to let them spam me.  "DTR Music may email me directly at " the email address I use to log on.  

Sound's like one of your treads that makes me laugh. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #686 on: April 21, 2011, 07:55:21 PM »
Wildoer seems to be very down to earth about this, as he says that it was unexpected for him to be asked to audition, and he couldn't believe it. He seems a very cool guy.
To be honest at the beginning of the speculations about the drummer, i was hoping for Donati to get the gig, but after watching this video i think i would love to see either Minnemann or Mangini as the new drummer.
Those guys seemed to have the most fun and are more exciting to watch while playing.

And this is based on watching each of them say maybe two sentences, in maybe 10 seconds of video each?  LOL.  Not that I know anything about any of the candidates, but, you've got to admit that drawing conclusions from this clip is a bit ridiculous.

no, it's based on other things that wildoer has said, most notably on roddy's forum and a fb chat someone had with him. all of which have been posted here.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #687 on: April 21, 2011, 08:28:33 PM »
Two more things occur to me:

- It's interesting that Roddy and Wildoer flat out said they couldn't quite keep up with the material.  While I'm not sure how good they are in comparison to the other drummers, these guys are very good.  It says a lot about how technically advanced DT really is.

- Also interesting about them is that, in a sense, they were just looking for a gig.  I 100% understand this, but for DT it's not the best attitude.  When you compare that to Lang (seemed to genuinely want to find a home in a band, actually very surprising), Minnemann (genuinely excited about the idea of the DT lifestyle), and Mangini (willing to quit being a professor at Berkelee), it's easy to tell why just from their attitude they didn't make it.  I don't think this is a bad thing, different people belong in different situations and they did their jobs like professionals for the auditions.  But it shows why personality is just as important as ability.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #688 on: April 21, 2011, 08:31:41 PM »

- It's interesting that Roddy and Wildoer flat out said they couldn't quite keep up with the material.  While I'm not sure how good they are in comparison to the other drummers, these guys are very good.  It says a lot about how technically advanced DT really is.

When did they say that? I think I missed it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #689 on: April 21, 2011, 08:35:20 PM »

- It's interesting that Roddy and Wildoer flat out said they couldn't quite keep up with the material.  While I'm not sure how good they are in comparison to the other drummers, these guys are very good.  It says a lot about how technically advanced DT really is.

- Also interesting about them is that, in a sense, they were just looking for a gig.  I 100% understand this, but for DT it's not the best attitude.  When you compare that to Lang (seemed to genuinely want to find a home in a band, actually very surprising), Minnemann (genuinely excited about the idea of the DT lifestyle), and Mangini (willing to quit being a professor at Berkelee), it's easy to tell why just from their attitude they didn't make it.  I don't think this is a bad thing, different people belong in different situations and they did their jobs like professionals for the auditions.  But it shows why personality is just as important as ability.

Some good points Reapsta, as well as your earlier ones (and the one bosk mentioned).

I believe Mangini fits the bill for the band, but you can't deny the fact that Lang really seems eager about settling down with the band (same goes for Minnemann). It'd be really cool to see any of the three actually make it.

Fingers Crossed.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #690 on: April 21, 2011, 08:36:57 PM »

The way I worded that was too vague and dramatic.  What I meant was that when they got to the "we're going to throw super hard riffs at you and see what you come up with on the spot" section, neither of them felt wholly comfortable.  Roddy openly said it was a bit much for him and that it wasn't his way of writing.  Wildoer seems like he was a little more comfortable but still not fully at their speed.
Over and over again

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #691 on: April 21, 2011, 08:38:20 PM »

- It's interesting that Roddy and Wildoer flat out said they couldn't quite keep up with the material.  While I'm not sure how good they are in comparison to the other drummers, these guys are very good.  It says a lot about how technically advanced DT really is.

im not sure who said that, but that's total bullstuff. roddy and wildoer could definitely keep up, they are phenomenal drummers, even if they aren't familiar with prog (which doesn't even matter).

roddy is used to numbers, so he'd be fine. i dont know much about wildoer, but im sure that if DT chose him to audition, he'd be fine too.

Online Adami

« Reply #692 on: April 21, 2011, 08:42:19 PM »

The way I worded that was too vague and dramatic.  What I meant was that when they got to the "we're going to throw super hard riffs at you and see what you come up with on the spot" section, neither of them felt wholly comfortable.  Roddy openly said it was a bit much for him and that it wasn't his way of writing.  Wildoer seems like he was a little more comfortable but still not fully at their speed.

In the new vid? I just watched it again and none of them say or even hint at anything like that, one of the guys with long hair (I guess roddy?) even says how naturally it felt. Are you talking about a different source I haven't seen?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #693 on: April 21, 2011, 08:48:11 PM »
im not sure who said that, but that's total bullstuff. roddy and wildoer could definitely keep up, they are phenomenal drummers, even if they aren't familiar with prog (which doesn't even matter).

Ugh.

https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74093&page=2

Quote from: Derek Roddy
We jammed a little while....was cool but, the environment (in ears, video, etc...) didn't lend itself to a lot of creative moments...plus the fact that these guys we're trying to "jam" in odd times, etc....
Then they threw some riffs at me to see how quickly I could spit out complex stuff.

Now this...was fun but, at the same time....I could tell that they were looking for a dude that will come in....and record an entire record in the studio...on the spot.

I've never wanted to work that way..... as I believe that if the business (need to put out a record quickly) over trumps the musical vision (taking time and creating the best you can)
then that ultimately directs where the band ends up in the future.

I like to sit on riffs for a few days.... at least and create the best possible part (as opposed to the automatic one)

Maybe he could handle the riffs, in which case I went a bit too far.  But he clearly seemed uncomfortable with them.  Bad for the drummer of DT.

Peter Wildoer -My audition started with two jams where we set the levels for in ears and just felt eachother out, musically that is. ;-) After that we went through the three songs they sent me. I guess you'll get to know what songs it was on the next ep...isode of the DT video. ;-) At last they wanted to try some new ideas. This was HAAAAAAAAARD! The ideas were in weird odd times and not one bar with the same meter. Very cool ideas and I got my head around it so and so after a while. If those ideas end up on the new DT album it will be PROG! :-)

I guess you could say njdtfan made this up.  Like I said, not the same attitude as Roddy, but the fact he called it hard meant he was forced to play a level higher than he was comfortable.

I have the feeling that Mangini at the very least probably heard the super hard riffs and just knocked them out with no effort, which is what DT wanted.  MP might not be technically the best drummer, but simply through a lot of practice he had learned to naturally play in odd times without thinking it through.
Over and over again

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #694 on: April 21, 2011, 08:52:39 PM »

no, it's based on other things that wildoer has said, most notably on roddy's forum and a fb chat someone had with him. all of which have been posted here.
Thanks dude..I had a great conversation with Peter Wildoer tonite which I posted some of(not all BTW). So maybe before making presumumptions, some people may want to read a thread before posting "their" conclusions.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #695 on: April 21, 2011, 08:56:41 PM »

Ugh.

We jammed a little while....was cool but, the environment (in ears, video, etc...) didn't lend itself to a lot of creative moments...plus the fact that these guys we're trying to "jam" in odd times, etc....
Then they threw some riffs at me to see how quickly I could spit out complex stuff.

Now this...was fun but, at the same time....I could tell that they were looking for a dude that will come in....and record an entire record in the studio...on the spot.

I've never wanted to work that way..... as I believe that if the business (need to put out a record quickly) over trumps the musical vision (taking time and creating the best you can)

I like to sit on riffs for a few days.... at least and create the best possible part (as opposed to the automatic one)

Maybe he could handle the riffs, in which case I went a bit too far.  But he clearly seemed uncomfortable with them.  Bad for the drummer of DT.

Peter Wildoer -My audition started with two jams where we set the levels for in ears and just felt eachother out, musically that is. ;-) After that we went through the three songs they sent me. I guess you'll get to know what songs it was on the next ep...isode of the DT video. ;-) At last they wanted to try some new ideas. This was HAAAAAAAAARD! The ideas were in weird odd times and not one bar with the same meter. Very cool ideas and I got my head around it so and so after a while. If those ideas end up on the new DT album it will be PROG! :-)

I guess you could say njdtfan made this up.  Like I said, not the same attitude as Roddy, but the fact he called it hard meant he was forced to play a level higher than he was comfortable.

I have the feeling that Mangini at the very least probably heard the super hard riffs and just knocked them out with no effort, which is what DT wanted.  MP might not be technically the best drummer, but simply through a lot of practice he had learned to naturally play in odd times without thinking it through.
@ Reapsta. I did not make it up at all. and Peter would attest to it. In fact, I could post the exact conversation from him. link and all. I respect Peter as a person & musician and totally beleive what he told me.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #696 on: April 21, 2011, 08:58:58 PM »
I took a screenshot in the moment where one of the drummers is holding a letter. I'm trying to figure out what it says:

"
To The World's Greatest Drummers
Welcome to the auditions!
We're sorry we don't have a practice room. But we do have something for you to practice on - and doing so will provide instant gratification, the treat's inside!

Please attack this drum with the mallet we've provided, just as you're going to do for real in the studio! :)
Best wishes to an audition that blows everyone away!"

This is probably a FAIL transcription, feel free to help me out....if you have nothing better to do, like me.

Fixed, if anyone cares.

Online Adami

« Reply #697 on: April 21, 2011, 08:59:31 PM »

Ugh.

Oh thanks. I wasn't aware of that interview. :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #698 on: April 21, 2011, 09:00:40 PM »
I understand what Roddy is trying to say about writing and I kinda agree with him.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #699 on: April 21, 2011, 09:02:55 PM »
@ Reapsta. I did not make it up at all. and Peter would attest to it. In fact, I could post the exact conversation from him. link and all. I respect Peter as a person & musician and totally beleive what he told me.

Sorry if I caused offense.  I obviously can't be 100% certain, but I believe you're telling the truth.
Over and over again