An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer

Started by Weymolith, April 18, 2011, 08:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Ben_Jamin

Well, its a good thing I don't watch reality shows. It just sounded like a movie trailor.

ZBomber

Quote from: bösk1 on April 21, 2011, 05:15:25 PM
Quote from: ZBomber on April 21, 2011, 04:57:42 PM
Quote from: ariich on April 21, 2011, 04:55:02 PM
More importantly ZB, it's already been confirmed by Roddy and Wildoer that the claims in that article are nonsense and that DT were completely nice and up front about everything. Reposting it when it's already been debunked by the people who auditioned seems a bit strange.

See, this would have been nice to know. Bosk didn't mention that, and as I said I didn't get a chance to read through 15+ pages to see if it had been debunked.

Maybe Bosk was annoyed at the tone of your "maybe this has been fully explained, but F.U. bosk.  I can't be bothered to find out, so I'm just going to post it anyway" post (not to mention the other crap you've been pulling around here lately).

Look, I'm not going to argue and derail the thread and give you material to ban me with (which is clearly what you want), but my OP was NOTHING of that extent. There were 15 pages, did you honestly expect me to read through all of them in 10 minutes? I was around earlier today when that was posted, and just came back a little bit ago. I figured if I simply quoted a post to raise discussion, that would be ok. If there was already more discussion on it than the five posts I saw, I figured that would have been stated and we could just have moved on. Wouldn't derail the thread or anything, simple as that. You could have just said "We already discussed that, parts of the article regarding the treatment of the drummer have been proven false". Instead you posted a very sarcastic and rude reply to me.

You're acting as if I reposted the article to spite you or something. I just reposted an article man. Calm down. And I don't know what "other crap" I've been pulling around here, but I would like to hear it if you want to PM me and discuss this further.

theanalogkid7

I think the whole documentary is just a big front and at the end of it we'll find out the new drummer is actually just a new app from JR called DrumWiz.

ricky

Quote from: ZBomber on April 21, 2011, 05:30:16 PM
Quote from: bösk1 on April 21, 2011, 05:15:25 PM
Quote from: ZBomber on April 21, 2011, 04:57:42 PM
Quote from: ariich on April 21, 2011, 04:55:02 PM
More importantly ZB, it's already been confirmed by Roddy and Wildoer that the claims in that article are nonsense and that DT were completely nice and up front about everything. Reposting it when it's already been debunked by the people who auditioned seems a bit strange.

See, this would have been nice to know. Bosk didn't mention that, and as I said I didn't get a chance to read through 15+ pages to see if it had been debunked.

Maybe Bosk was annoyed at the tone of your "maybe this has been fully explained, but F.U. bosk.  I can't be bothered to find out, so I'm just going to post it anyway" post (not to mention the other crap you've been pulling around here lately).

Look, I'm not going to argue and derail the thread and give you material to ban me with (which is clearly what you want), but my OP was NOTHING of that extent. There were 15 pages, did you honestly expect me to read through all of them in 10 minutes? I was around earlier today when that was posted, and just came back a little bit ago. I figured if I simply quoted a post to raise discussion, that would be ok. If there was already more discussion on it than the five posts I saw, I figured that would have been stated and we could just have moved on. Wouldn't derail the thread or anything, simple as that. You could have just said "We already discussed that, parts of the article regarding the treatment of the drummer have been proven false". Instead you posted a very sarcastic and rude reply to me.

You're acting as if I reposted the article to spite you or something. I just reposted an article man. Calm down. And I don't know what "other crap" I've been pulling around here, but I would like to hear it if you want to PM me and discuss this further.

Quote from: ZBomber on April 21, 2011, 05:30:16 PM
Quote from: bösk1 on April 21, 2011, 05:15:25 PM
Quote from: ZBomber on April 21, 2011, 04:57:42 PM
Quote from: ariich on April 21, 2011, 04:55:02 PM
More importantly ZB, it's already been confirmed by Roddy and Wildoer that the claims in that article are nonsense and that DT were completely nice and up front about everything. Reposting it when it's already been debunked by the people who auditioned seems a bit strange.

See, this would have been nice to know. Bosk didn't mention that, and as I said I didn't get a chance to read through 15+ pages to see if it had been debunked.

Maybe Bosk was annoyed at the tone of your "maybe this has been fully explained, but F.U. bosk.  I can't be bothered to find out, so I'm just going to post it anyway" post (not to mention the other crap you've been pulling around here lately).

Look, I'm not going to argue and derail the thread and give you material to ban me with (which is clearly what you want), but my OP was NOTHING of that extent. There were 15 pages, did you honestly expect me to read through all of them in 10 minutes? I was around earlier today when that was posted, and just came back a little bit ago. I figured if I simply quoted a post to raise discussion, that would be ok. If there was already more discussion on it than the five posts I saw, I figured that would have been stated and we could just have moved on. Wouldn't derail the thread or anything, simple as that. You could have just said "We already discussed that, parts of the article regarding the treatment of the drummer have been proven false". Instead you posted a very sarcastic and rude reply to me.

You're acting as if I reposted the article to spite you or something. I just reposted an article man. Calm down. And I don't know what "other crap" I've been pulling around here, but I would like to hear it if you want to PM me and discuss this further.

zbomber, you my homie, but i just gotta say, it's never a good idea to argue with mods.

...especially the bosk.

while im sure you make valid points, try not to go overboard, ight bro? (trust me).

anyways,

yah.

mangini.


Aniland

Quote from: ZBomber on April 21, 2011, 05:30:16 PM
Look, I'm not going to argue and derail the thread and give you material to ban me with (which is clearly what you want),

:tup

Quote from: ZBomber on April 21, 2011, 05:30:16 PM
But *goes onto derailing thread*

:facepalm:

ZBomber

Why don't we just go back to the discussion at hand. If bosk wants to talk about this, we can do it via PM.

ricky

Quote from: Aniland on April 21, 2011, 05:48:25 PM
Quote from: ZBomber on April 21, 2011, 05:30:16 PM
Look, I'm not going to argue and derail the thread and give you material to ban me with (which is clearly what you want),

:tup

Quote from: ZBomber on April 21, 2011, 05:30:16 PM
But *goes onto derailing thread*

:facepalm:

so, roddy and wildoer (sp?) are out.

that leaves 5.

King Postwhore

Quote from: ZBomber on April 21, 2011, 05:49:46 PM
Why don't we just go back to the discussion at hand. If bosk wants to talk about this, we can do it via PM.

Yup.  I'd hate to see you take some time off.  


BTW, I wound when the next video will be released?
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

Mebert78

I love the DT video.  But for some reason it makes me kinda sad seeing how the drummers' eyes are all glowing with hope and excitement, but sadly the odds are they won't get chosen.  They all want it so bad, but there's just one spot.  I just feel bad seeing that idk lol.

Ultimetalhead

Yeah, that's exactly the same vibe you'd get from The Apprentice.

Dimitrius

Parts of that voiceover couldn't have been more cheesy!

Aniland

Quote from: ricky on April 21, 2011, 05:50:42 PM
Quote from: Aniland on April 21, 2011, 05:48:25 PM
Quote from: ZBomber on April 21, 2011, 05:30:16 PM
Look, I'm not going to argue and derail the thread and give you material to ban me with (which is clearly what you want),

:tup

Quote from: ZBomber on April 21, 2011, 05:30:16 PM
But *goes onto derailing thread*

:facepalm:

so, roddy and wildoer (sp?) are out.

that leaves 5.

Priester and Minneman are both supposedly on tour, have been, and will be for a while, right? That leaves 3.  :P

Progmetty

Where can I find the videos everybody is talking about?


bosk1

Quote from: Dimitrius on April 21, 2011, 06:01:34 PM
Parts of that voiceover couldn't have been more cheesy!

You obviously don't watch much SciFi Channel.  :blob:

Dimitrius

Quote from: bösk1 on April 21, 2011, 06:03:03 PM
Quote from: Dimitrius on April 21, 2011, 06:01:34 PM
Parts of that voiceover couldn't have been more cheesy!

You obviously don't watch much SciFi Channel.  :blob:
I actually don't. The only thing I've ever watch from Syfy was Battlestar Galactica and I watched it on video.

bloop

"Can Dream Theater find a new brother behind the kit?" (Count of Tuscany playing in the background)

NUGGETZ

Progmetty

Good God that was crazy cheesy, I hope they drop the fat house wives reality show tone in the next video.
All the drummers faces are new to me, they all seem to have cool personalities.

webpoet73

I didn't like the Terms of Service for the app that has to be joined, so I guess I don't get to see the video.  I sure don't want to agree to let them spam me.  "DTR Music may email me directly at " the email address I use to log on.  

JasonScandopolous

Quote from: nikatapi on April 21, 2011, 04:17:47 PM
Wildoer seems to be very down to earth about this, as he says that it was unexpected for him to be asked to audition, and he couldn't believe it. He seems a very cool guy.
To be honest at the beginning of the speculations about the drummer, i was hoping for Donati to get the gig, but after watching this video i think i would love to see either Minnemann or Mangini as the new drummer.
Those guys seemed to have the most fun and are more exciting to watch while playing.

And this is based on watching each of them say maybe two sentences, in maybe 10 seconds of video each?  LOL.  Not that I know anything about any of the candidates, but, you've got to admit that drawing conclusions from this clip is a bit ridiculous.

King Postwhore

Quote from: webpoet73 on April 21, 2011, 06:23:27 PM
I didn't like the Terms of Service for the app that has to be joined, so I guess I don't get to see the video.  I sure don't want to agree to let them spam me.  "DTR Music may email me directly at " the email address I use to log on.  

Sound's like one of your treads that makes me laugh. :lol
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

phentalmyst

Quote from: JasonScandopolous on April 21, 2011, 06:39:52 PM
Quote from: nikatapi on April 21, 2011, 04:17:47 PM
Wildoer seems to be very down to earth about this, as he says that it was unexpected for him to be asked to audition, and he couldn't believe it. He seems a very cool guy.
To be honest at the beginning of the speculations about the drummer, i was hoping for Donati to get the gig, but after watching this video i think i would love to see either Minnemann or Mangini as the new drummer.
Those guys seemed to have the most fun and are more exciting to watch while playing.

And this is based on watching each of them say maybe two sentences, in maybe 10 seconds of video each?  LOL.  Not that I know anything about any of the candidates, but, you've got to admit that drawing conclusions from this clip is a bit ridiculous.

no, it's based on other things that wildoer has said, most notably on roddy's forum and a fb chat someone had with him. all of which have been posted here.

ReaPsTA

Two more things occur to me:

- It's interesting that Roddy and Wildoer flat out said they couldn't quite keep up with the material.  While I'm not sure how good they are in comparison to the other drummers, these guys are very good.  It says a lot about how technically advanced DT really is.

- Also interesting about them is that, in a sense, they were just looking for a gig.  I 100% understand this, but for DT it's not the best attitude.  When you compare that to Lang (seemed to genuinely want to find a home in a band, actually very surprising), Minnemann (genuinely excited about the idea of the DT lifestyle), and Mangini (willing to quit being a professor at Berkelee), it's easy to tell why just from their attitude they didn't make it.  I don't think this is a bad thing, different people belong in different situations and they did their jobs like professionals for the auditions.  But it shows why personality is just as important as ability.

Adami

Quote from: ReaPsTA on April 21, 2011, 07:28:33 PM
Two more things occur to me:

- It's interesting that Roddy and Wildoer flat out said they couldn't quite keep up with the material.  While I'm not sure how good they are in comparison to the other drummers, these guys are very good.  It says a lot about how technically advanced DT really is.


When did they say that? I think I missed it.
[url="//www.fanticide.bandcamp.com"]www.fanticide.bandcamp.com[/url]

Aramatheis

Quote from: ReaPsTA on April 21, 2011, 07:28:33 PM
Two more things occur to me:

- It's interesting that Roddy and Wildoer flat out said they couldn't quite keep up with the material.  While I'm not sure how good they are in comparison to the other drummers, these guys are very good.  It says a lot about how technically advanced DT really is.

- Also interesting about them is that, in a sense, they were just looking for a gig.  I 100% understand this, but for DT it's not the best attitude.  When you compare that to Lang (seemed to genuinely want to find a home in a band, actually very surprising), Minnemann (genuinely excited about the idea of the DT lifestyle), and Mangini (willing to quit being a professor at Berkelee), it's easy to tell why just from their attitude they didn't make it.  I don't think this is a bad thing, different people belong in different situations and they did their jobs like professionals for the auditions.  But it shows why personality is just as important as ability.

Some good points Reapsta, as well as your earlier ones (and the one bosk mentioned).

I believe Mangini fits the bill for the band, but you can't deny the fact that Lang really seems eager about settling down with the band (same goes for Minnemann). It'd be really cool to see any of the three actually make it.

Fingers Crossed.

ReaPsTA

Quote from: Adami on April 21, 2011, 07:31:41 PM
Quote from: ReaPsTA on April 21, 2011, 07:28:33 PM
Two more things occur to me:

- It's interesting that Roddy and Wildoer flat out said they couldn't quite keep up with the material.  While I'm not sure how good they are in comparison to the other drummers, these guys are very good.  It says a lot about how technically advanced DT really is.


When did they say that? I think I missed it.

The way I worded that was too vague and dramatic.  What I meant was that when they got to the "we're going to throw super hard riffs at you and see what you come up with on the spot" section, neither of them felt wholly comfortable.  Roddy openly said it was a bit much for him and that it wasn't his way of writing.  Wildoer seems like he was a little more comfortable but still not fully at their speed.

ricky

Quote from: Adami on April 21, 2011, 07:31:41 PM
Quote from: ReaPsTA on April 21, 2011, 07:28:33 PM
Two more things occur to me:

- It's interesting that Roddy and Wildoer flat out said they couldn't quite keep up with the material.  While I'm not sure how good they are in comparison to the other drummers, these guys are very good.  It says a lot about how technically advanced DT really is.


When did they say that? I think I missed it.


im not sure who said that, but that's total bullstuff. roddy and wildoer could definitely keep up, they are phenomenal drummers, even if they aren't familiar with prog (which doesn't even matter).

roddy is used to numbers, so he'd be fine. i dont know much about wildoer, but im sure that if DT chose him to audition, he'd be fine too.


Adami

Quote from: ReaPsTA on April 21, 2011, 07:36:57 PM
Quote from: Adami on April 21, 2011, 07:31:41 PM
Quote from: ReaPsTA on April 21, 2011, 07:28:33 PM
Two more things occur to me:

- It's interesting that Roddy and Wildoer flat out said they couldn't quite keep up with the material.  While I'm not sure how good they are in comparison to the other drummers, these guys are very good.  It says a lot about how technically advanced DT really is.


When did they say that? I think I missed it.

The way I worded that was too vague and dramatic.  What I meant was that when they got to the "we're going to throw super hard riffs at you and see what you come up with on the spot" section, neither of them felt wholly comfortable.  Roddy openly said it was a bit much for him and that it wasn't his way of writing.  Wildoer seems like he was a little more comfortable but still not fully at their speed.


In the new vid? I just watched it again and none of them say or even hint at anything like that, one of the guys with long hair (I guess roddy?) even says how naturally it felt. Are you talking about a different source I haven't seen?
[url="//www.fanticide.bandcamp.com"]www.fanticide.bandcamp.com[/url]

ReaPsTA

Quote from: ricky on April 21, 2011, 07:38:20 PM
im not sure who said that, but that's total bullstuff. roddy and wildoer could definitely keep up, they are phenomenal drummers, even if they aren't familiar with prog (which doesn't even matter).

Ugh.

https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74093&page=2

Quote from: Derek RoddyWe jammed a little while....was cool but, the environment (in ears, video, etc...) didn't lend itself to a lot of creative moments...plus the fact that these guys we're trying to "jam" in odd times, etc....
Then they threw some riffs at me to see how quickly I could spit out complex stuff.

Now this...was fun but, at the same time....I could tell that they were looking for a dude that will come in....and record an entire record in the studio...on the spot.

I've never wanted to work that way..... as I believe that if the business (need to put out a record quickly) over trumps the musical vision (taking time and creating the best you can)
then that ultimately directs where the band ends up in the future.

I like to sit on riffs for a few days.... at least and create the best possible part (as opposed to the automatic one)

Maybe he could handle the riffs, in which case I went a bit too far.  But he clearly seemed uncomfortable with them.  Bad for the drummer of DT.

Quote from: njdtfan on April 21, 2011, 03:58:37 PM
Peter Wildoer -My audition started with two jams where we set the levels for in ears and just felt eachother out, musically that is. ;-) After that we went through the three songs they sent me. I guess you'll get to know what songs it was on the next ep...isode of the DT video. ;-) At last they wanted to try some new ideas. This was HAAAAAAAAARD! The ideas were in weird odd times and not one bar with the same meter. Very cool ideas and I got my head around it so and so after a while. If those ideas end up on the new DT album it will be PROG! :-)

I guess you could say njdtfan made this up.  Like I said, not the same attitude as Roddy, but the fact he called it hard meant he was forced to play a level higher than he was comfortable.

I have the feeling that Mangini at the very least probably heard the super hard riffs and just knocked them out with no effort, which is what DT wanted.  MP might not be technically the best drummer, but simply through a lot of practice he had learned to naturally play in odd times without thinking it through.

njdtfan

Quote from: phentalmyst on April 21, 2011, 06:55:21 PM
Quote from: JasonScandopolous on April 21, 2011, 06:39:52 PM
Quote from: nikatapi on April 21, 2011, 04:17:47 PM
Wildoer seems to be very down to earth about this, as he says that it was unexpected for him to be asked to audition, and he couldn't believe it. He seems a very cool guy.
To be honest at the beginning of the speculations about the drummer, i was hoping for Donati to get the gig, but after watching this video i think i would love to see either Minnemann or Mangini as the new drummer.
Those guys seemed to have the most fun and are more exciting to watch while playing.

And this is based on watching each of them say maybe two sentences, in maybe 10 seconds of video each?  LOL.  Not that I know anything about any of the candidates, but, you've got to admit that drawing conclusions from this clip is a bit ridiculous.

no, it's based on other things that wildoer has said, most notably on roddy's forum and a fb chat someone had with him. all of which have been posted here.
Thanks dude..I had a great conversation with Peter Wildoer tonite which I posted some of(not all BTW). So maybe before making presumumptions, some people may want to read a thread before posting "their" conclusions.

njdtfan

Quote from: ReaPsTA on April 21, 2011, 07:48:11 PM
Quote from: ricky on April 21, 2011, 07:38:20 PM
im not sure who said that, but that's total bullstuff. roddy and wildoer could definitely keep up, they are phenomenal drummers, even if they aren't familiar with prog (which doesn't even matter).

Ugh.

https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74093&page=2

Quote from: Derek RoddyWe jammed a little while....was cool but, the environment (in ears, video, etc...) didn't lend itself to a lot of creative moments...plus the fact that these guys we're trying to "jam" in odd times, etc....
Then they threw some riffs at me to see how quickly I could spit out complex stuff.

Now this...was fun but, at the same time....I could tell that they were looking for a dude that will come in....and record an entire record in the studio...on the spot.

I've never wanted to work that way..... as I believe that if the business (need to put out a record quickly) over trumps the musical vision (taking time and creating the best you can)
then that ultimately directs where the band ends up in the future.

I like to sit on riffs for a few days.... at least and create the best possible part (as opposed to the automatic one)

Maybe he could handle the riffs, in which case I went a bit too far.  But he clearly seemed uncomfortable with them.  Bad for the drummer of DT.

Quote from: njdtfan on April 21, 2011, 03:58:37 PM
Peter Wildoer -My audition started with two jams where we set the levels for in ears and just felt eachother out, musically that is. ;-) After that we went through the three songs they sent me. I guess you'll get to know what songs it was on the next ep...isode of the DT video. ;-) At last they wanted to try some new ideas. This was HAAAAAAAAARD! The ideas were in weird odd times and not one bar with the same meter. Very cool ideas and I got my head around it so and so after a while. If those ideas end up on the new DT album it will be PROG! :-)

I guess you could say njdtfan made this up.  Like I said, not the same attitude as Roddy, but the fact he called it hard meant he was forced to play a level higher than he was comfortable.

I have the feeling that Mangini at the very least probably heard the super hard riffs and just knocked them out with no effort, which is what DT wanted.  MP might not be technically the best drummer, but simply through a lot of practice he had learned to naturally play in odd times without thinking it through.
@ Reapsta. I did not make it up at all. and Peter would attest to it. In fact, I could post the exact conversation from him. link and all. I respect Peter as a person & musician and totally beleive what he told me.

Aramatheis

Quote from: Rafael Guerra on April 21, 2011, 08:37:57 AM
I took a screenshot in the moment where one of the drummers is holding a letter. I'm trying to figure out what it says:

"
To The World's Greatest Drummers
Welcome to the auditions!
We're sorry we don't have a practice room. But we do have something for you to practice on - and doing so will provide instant gratification, the treat's inside!

Please attack this drum with the mallet we've provided, just as you're going to do for real in the studio! :)
Best wishes to an audition that blows everyone away!"

This is probably a FAIL transcription, feel free to help me out....if you have nothing better to do, like me.

Fixed, if anyone cares.

Adami

Quote from: ReaPsTA on April 21, 2011, 07:48:11 PM
Quote from: ricky on April 21, 2011, 07:38:20 PM
im not sure who said that, but that's total bullstuff. roddy and wildoer could definitely keep up, they are phenomenal drummers, even if they aren't familiar with prog (which doesn't even matter).

Ugh.

https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74093&page=2

Quote from: Derek RoddyWe jammed a little while....was cool but, the environment (in ears, video, etc...) didn't lend itself to a lot of creative moments...plus the fact that these guys we're trying to "jam" in odd times, etc....
Then they threw some riffs at me to see how quickly I could spit out complex stuff.

Now this...was fun but, at the same time....I could tell that they were looking for a dude that will come in....and record an entire record in the studio...on the spot.

I've never wanted to work that way..... as I believe that if the business (need to put out a record quickly) over trumps the musical vision (taking time and creating the best you can)
then that ultimately directs where the band ends up in the future.

I like to sit on riffs for a few days.... at least and create the best possible part (as opposed to the automatic one)

Maybe he could handle the riffs, in which case I went a bit too far.  But he clearly seemed uncomfortable with them.  Bad for the drummer of DT.

Quote from: njdtfan on April 21, 2011, 03:58:37 PM
Peter Wildoer -My audition started with two jams where we set the levels for in ears and just felt eachother out, musically that is. ;-) After that we went through the three songs they sent me. I guess you'll get to know what songs it was on the next ep...isode of the DT video. ;-) At last they wanted to try some new ideas. This was HAAAAAAAAARD! The ideas were in weird odd times and not one bar with the same meter. Very cool ideas and I got my head around it so and so after a while. If those ideas end up on the new DT album it will be PROG! :-)

I guess you could say njdtfan made this up.  Like I said, not the same attitude as Roddy, but the fact he called it hard meant he was forced to play a level higher than he was comfortable.

I have the feeling that Mangini at the very least probably heard the super hard riffs and just knocked them out with no effort, which is what DT wanted.  MP might not be technically the best drummer, but simply through a lot of practice he had learned to naturally play in odd times without thinking it through.


Oh thanks. I wasn't aware of that interview. :)
[url="//www.fanticide.bandcamp.com"]www.fanticide.bandcamp.com[/url]

Gorille85

I understand what Roddy is trying to say about writing and I kinda agree with him.

ReaPsTA

Quote from: njdtfan on April 21, 2011, 07:56:41 PM
@ Reapsta. I did not make it up at all. and Peter would attest to it. In fact, I could post the exact conversation from him. link and all. I respect Peter as a person & musician and totally beleive what he told me.

Sorry if I caused offense.  I obviously can't be 100% certain, but I believe you're telling the truth.