Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 661133 times)

Offline blackngold29

Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #525 on: April 21, 2011, 12:15:56 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks Marco Minneman looks like Dirk Nowitzki?
No

What if all 7 are the new drummers?
That would be awesome. Seven drummers, seven songs. One guy gets to tour.

Although they left out the audition tape from that Beiber kid for some reason....

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #526 on: April 21, 2011, 12:17:44 PM »
I'm not necessarily butthurt about it, but I am kind of disappointed they tried to pull a VH1 special out of this. They're exploiting it to the max.
Yeah, how dare they have a bit of fun and publicise the band in the process? DAMN THEM!
What I'm trying to say is: I don't give a damn who the new drummer is, I just want the album.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #527 on: April 21, 2011, 12:18:27 PM »
After watching the trailer a few times, I wish JLB had his long hair while they were shooting the documentary. 

Other than that:  :metal
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #528 on: April 21, 2011, 12:20:03 PM »
I wonder if Opeth will have this many people on their forums during the lead up to announcing the new keyboard player?

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #529 on: April 21, 2011, 12:21:21 PM »
I'm not necessarily butthurt about it, but I am kind of disappointed they tried to pull a VH1 special out of this. They're exploiting it to the max.

We'll see how it turns out.  Some Kind of Monster, in spite of the ego behind it, is one of the most brutally honest things anyone's ever put out about themselves to the media, which makes it great.  I don't expect the same level of emotional depth and conflict here, but it can work and be great if it's open and honest instead of being an extended promo piece.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #530 on: April 21, 2011, 12:24:11 PM »

We'll see how it turns out.  Some Kind of Monster, in spite of the ego behind it, is one of the most brutally honest things anyone's ever put out about themselves to the media, which makes it great.  I don't expect the same level of emotional depth and conflict here, but it can work and be great if it's open and honest instead of being an extended promo piece.
Yeah, the black and white part where they're talking about MP gives a glimpse into why they haven't said much about it. We will get to hear they're side at some point.

Also, maybe this has been mentioned, but would you like to see MP make an appearance at some point? So they could really make it a complete overall view from both sides of the whole situation?

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #531 on: April 21, 2011, 12:24:32 PM »
just watched the facebook version.

what they said makes sense to me. they aren't looking for just a drummer, theyre looking for some who "fits", and to me that's Mangini. Berklee alumni, like the other guys in DT, and they've even worked with him before, unlike Lang. And he's a similar age, which helps.

its easy to forget its more than just the drumming.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #532 on: April 21, 2011, 12:24:41 PM »

So?  So long as the music doesn't suffer (in the sense of them "selling out" to gain more popularity), it's all good.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #533 on: April 21, 2011, 12:24:52 PM »
Some Kind of Monster really just showed how washed up Metallica was as a group. It really served no other purpose than that. I hope DT's documentary doesn't show this kind of thing.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #534 on: April 21, 2011, 12:25:21 PM »

So?  So long as the music doesn't suffer (in the sense of them "selling out" to gain more popularity), it's all good.
This is what I'm afraid is going to happen.
I AM A GUY

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #535 on: April 21, 2011, 12:28:08 PM »

So?  So long as the music doesn't suffer (in the sense of them "selling out" to gain more popularity), it's all good.
This is what I'm afraid is going to happen.

Why would you think that?  RR has been promoting them like crazy since they got them, and nothing DT has done since has sounded like a sell out attempt to gain more popularity.  Remember that DT has had catchy songs (by prog metal standards) on almost every record that could have been somewhat popular in the mainstream had they been properly promoted, so don't freak out when one or two songs on the new album have that feel.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #536 on: April 21, 2011, 12:42:45 PM »
Some Kind of Monster really just showed how washed up Metallica was as a group. It really served no other purpose than that. I hope DT's documentary doesn't show this kind of thing.

You seem like such a negative person. Smile. :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #537 on: April 21, 2011, 12:51:14 PM »
Some of these guys are gonna need bigger kits.

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing a smaller kit. I like it when drummers focus on the essentials. As with many other things, music thrives on limitation.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Raziel666

• Infinite Moonloops
« Reply #538 on: April 21, 2011, 12:51:27 PM »
Quote from: Random guy @ MP forums
I am "friends" with 5 of the 7 drummers who auditions on FaceBook (and yes it is really them, promise) and told them I saw the vid and wished them the best of luck. About 5 minutes after I posted, Marco Minnemann actually responded telling me that he IS NOT the drummer of DT. But he's working with JR on the Musical Minds Meld thing, and he also mentioned that he's working on something with JR and JP...

If this is true, it will be interesting to hear from a MM/JP/JR collaboration! Maybe call Tony Levin on the bass and have fun again!

(source: https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?high=&m=2661316&mpage=10#2662621)

Offline EternalDancer

« Reply #539 on: April 21, 2011, 12:53:33 PM »
Enough of this chit. How about a new, sticky, locked thread that we can bookmark and sign up for notifications when there is real news. I just can't be assed to wade through 16 pages of crap to find any solid news

Still don't know why the old "updated" thread was removed that I had bookmarked - c'mon admins give us a break

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #540 on: April 21, 2011, 12:56:49 PM »
Quote from: Random guy @ MP forums
after I posted, Marco Minnemann actually responded telling me that he IS NOT the drummer of DT

:'(  :'(

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #541 on: April 21, 2011, 01:01:12 PM »
Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing a smaller kit. I like it when drummers focus on the essentials. As with many other things, music thrives on limitation.

rumborak

as a drummer myself, this comment urks me. "essential" is a subjective word at best, especially when it comes to music. besides, DT is about being over the top, is in not? if you want a 4 piece kit treatment go listen to nirvana.

regardless, anyone who says it's possible to make a 3 piece kit sound like 50 has never touched a drumstick in their life.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #542 on: April 21, 2011, 01:01:54 PM »
Enough of this chit. How about a new, sticky, locked thread that we can bookmark and sign up for notifications when there is real news. I just can't be assed to wade through 16 pages of crap to find any solid news

Still don't know why the old "updated" thread was removed that I had bookmarked - c'mon admins give us a break
U mad?
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #543 on: April 21, 2011, 01:05:03 PM »
PS: it's DT's limitless nature that got me into them in the first place. why start limiting now?

Offline jsem

« Reply #544 on: April 21, 2011, 01:05:21 PM »

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #545 on: April 21, 2011, 01:05:56 PM »
Nugget: Over the Edge produced the movie, JLB has a song called Over the Edge on Static Impulse.

Oh God it never ends

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #546 on: April 21, 2011, 01:16:49 PM »

rumborak

as a drummer myself, this comment urks me. "essential" is a subjective word at best, especially when it comes to music. besides, DT is about being over the top, is in not? if you want a 4 piece kit treatment go listen to nirvana.

regardless, anyone who says it's possible to make a 3 piece kit sound like 50 has never touched a drumstick in their life.

And anybody who claims prog needs to be played with a 50-piece drum kit has never listened to good prog.
IMHO, MP had a tendency to just "work" the big kit the easy way, with fills that just seemed to try to execute as many different pieces as possible. Again, this is my personal opinion, but I think art has a tendency to lose its focus if it is too unconstrained.

rumborak

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #547 on: April 21, 2011, 01:18:47 PM »

:rollin :rollin

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #548 on: April 21, 2011, 01:25:11 PM »
And anybody who claims prog needs to be played with a 50-piece drum kit has never listened to good prog.
IMHO, MP had a tendency to just "work" the big kit the easy way, with fills that just seemed to try to execute as many different pieces as possible. Again, this is my personal opinion, but I think art has a tendency to lose its focus if it is too unconstrained.

rumborak

but DT isn't just prog. they have a lot of elements that IMO require a lot of different percussive sounds. i agree with the MP comment, especially as of late, but guys like bobby jarzombek are creative as hell with kits of a large size. sure they could do cool stuff on smaller kits, but i come to DT to be blown away in ALL facets...

Offline ronrule

« Reply #549 on: April 21, 2011, 01:25:40 PM »
JP: "We literally have been a family"

Literally?  LITERALLY?   :P

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #550 on: April 21, 2011, 01:26:45 PM »
I think he was speaking figuratively.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline robwebster

« Reply #551 on: April 21, 2011, 01:27:08 PM »
JP: "We literally have been a family"

Literally?  LITERALLY?   :P
I thought that!

"John Myung is LITERALLY my grandfather."

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #552 on: April 21, 2011, 01:27:52 PM »
:rollin :rollin
I AM A GUY

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #553 on: April 21, 2011, 01:28:03 PM »
Some Kind of Monster, in spite of the ego behind it, is one of the most brutally honest things anyone's ever put out about themselves to the media, which makes it great.

One of the best music documentaries out there 2nd only to Behind the Lighted Stage.

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #554 on: April 21, 2011, 01:29:44 PM »
i would add the foo fighters doc into that mix. the stuff on nirvana was  :corn

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #555 on: April 21, 2011, 01:35:21 PM »
Some Kind of Monster, in spite of the ego behind it, is one of the most brutally honest things anyone's ever put out about themselves to the media, which makes it great.

One of the best music documentaries out there 2nd only to Behind the Lighted Stage.
I raise you Metal: A Headbanger's Journey and Flight 666.
I AM A GUY

Offline ronrule

« Reply #556 on: April 21, 2011, 01:40:56 PM »
JLB:  "We've been touched by some magic here; but I think, you know, there's still more to come"

Oooh, a sequel!  Dream Theater 2: The Spirit Carries Onner?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #557 on: April 21, 2011, 01:46:30 PM »
JLB:  "We've been touched by some magic here; but I think, you know, there's still more to come"

Oooh, a sequel!  Dream Theater 2: The Spirit Carries Onner?

JLB: We've been touched by some magic here; but I think, you know, there's still more to come.

(JAMES glares significantly at JOHN MYUNG.)

Offline Deve

« Reply #558 on: April 21, 2011, 01:47:38 PM »
I know a lot of people don't like this whole "reality search" kind of thing for the new drummer, but I for one am so excited. I know when I'm watching it I'm gonna be rooting for specific people and it'll be a blast to hear seven amazing drummer's takes on DT songs. Cannot wait for this!

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #559 on: April 21, 2011, 02:04:12 PM »
I must admit The whole "reality charade" does have me excited.  I think it is a great ploy. And, by the amount of replies on facebook(1 ever 10-13 sec)  on the subject, I would say DT/RR  are doing things right.  This is a big reveal, as evidenced by the interwebz buzz since MP's departure.  I am jazzed about the whole thing.