Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 661111 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #455 on: April 21, 2011, 10:18:58 AM »
They're going all LeBron James on us now. :lol

"I'm taking my talents to Dream Theater.  I saw JLB shoot hoops in the Scenes from a Memory video diary, and I think I can bring a lot to the team."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #456 on: April 21, 2011, 10:20:12 AM »
They're going all LeBron James on us now. :lol

"I'm taking my talents to Dream Theater.  I saw JLB shoot hoops in the Scenes from a Memory video diary, and I think I can bring a lot to the team."

:clap:

But that begs the question...would he change his name to LaBron Kevin?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline snowdog

« Reply #457 on: April 21, 2011, 10:21:37 AM »
So I like the concept, it's very cool that they'll be showing so much detail about the auditions and really opening up about MP.

What I don't get was why four months ago they didn't say, "We're filming a documentary about the whole process, but it'll be better if you don't know who the drummer is until you see the whole thing." ? Still can't figure out why they're limiting it to fb either, it does a lot of good for their image, but only if you let people see it, it should be on their site, YouTube, everywhere.
I think the facebook thing is because, by controlling who sees it, they can prompt people to join their mailing list - allows them to establish a direct connection to the fans.
Exactly.  Tons of people will "like" DT on Facebook, giving themselves more publicity.  Then you are requiring people to join their mailing list to see the video.  It definitely gets the band more publicity and visibility they might not have had otherwise.  It is a good marketing move.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #458 on: April 21, 2011, 10:21:50 AM »
Highest amount of users in a single thread since MP left? Probably.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #459 on: April 21, 2011, 10:26:54 AM »
If they have Heidi Klum in this thing,  I'm sold on it.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #460 on: April 21, 2011, 10:27:29 AM »

rumborak

Maybe in the next video. :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #461 on: April 21, 2011, 10:29:29 AM »
Well that was certainly anticlimactic.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Online Adami

« Reply #462 on: April 21, 2011, 10:30:41 AM »

It was a teaser, it's job is to be non-climatic.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #463 on: April 21, 2011, 10:30:48 AM »
found it on youtube.. can i post it here?

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #464 on: April 21, 2011, 10:31:42 AM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :lol :lol :lol :lol

Nice to see they exploited their break up to hype everything up and go on TV and make documentaries instead of just telling us who it is.

I remember there was a game that was advertised like this. Its name was Daikatana, and I think at least some people here know how that ended up.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #465 on: April 21, 2011, 10:33:14 AM »

I remember there was a game that was advertised like this. Its name was Daikatana, and I think at least some people here know how that ended up.
Yep, you're right. Daikatana's quality probably was directly linked to the documentary.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #466 on: April 21, 2011, 10:33:56 AM »
Nice to see they exploited their break up to hype everything up and go on TV and make documentaries instead of just telling us who it is.

I had forgotten about that game.  :rollin

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #467 on: April 21, 2011, 10:36:14 AM »

Please? Or just tell me what to 'search' on youtube. I can't access Facebook at work (but we can access Youtube? Seems odd..anyway)
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #468 on: April 21, 2011, 10:36:26 AM »

It was a teaser, it's job is to be non-climatic.
Exactly.

This might explain why Ryan always climaxes too early.

Uh, I mean, wat.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #469 on: April 21, 2011, 10:36:50 AM »

Please? Or just tell me what to 'search' on youtube. I can't access Facebook at work (but we can access Youtube? Seems odd..anyway)
No, not until we know whether it's ok to do that or not.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #470 on: April 21, 2011, 10:37:32 AM »
I find it cool that even without Mike, who was the driving force behind a lot of this stuff, the band are still trying to think outside the box and give us some extras.
I'm just happy Mike didn't "direct" this. Anyone remember SFaM DVD? Yikes.

Back on topic, as bosk1 stated, the band is making an effort. Some will like it. Some won't. For me, I'm anticipating the release of the album.

That said, RR and DT are definitely capitalizing on PR end of this. Kinda a blessing in disguise really. Mike left: PR. Audition for a new drummer: More PR. The new drummer will play on the new DT album: More PR. If none of this would have happened, the only PR we would have received would be that DT is in the studio recording which is really not much for PR nor does it generate the type of hype that the current situation is generating.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #471 on: April 21, 2011, 10:38:51 AM »
So I like the concept, it's very cool that they'll be showing so much detail about the auditions and really opening up about MP.

What I don't get was why four months ago they didn't say, "We're filming a documentary about the whole process, but it'll be better if you don't know who the drummer is until you see the whole thing." ? Still can't figure out why they're limiting it to fb either, it does a lot of good for their image, but only if you let people see it, it should be on their site, YouTube, everywhere.
I think the facebook thing is because, by controlling who sees it, they can prompt people to join their mailing list - allows them to establish a direct connection to the fans.
Exactly.  Tons of people will "like" DT on Facebook, giving themselves more publicity.  Then you are requiring people to join their mailing list to see the video.  It definitely gets the band more publicity and visibility they might not have had otherwise.  It is a good marketing move.
Why would saying that you have to have a facebook account, have to like Dream Theater, and have to subscribe to the mailing list increase the number of people that see the video. Isn't that the goal? To get as many people to see as possible? It seems like they're bottlenecking it.

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #472 on: April 21, 2011, 10:39:44 AM »

rumborak

:metal

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #473 on: April 21, 2011, 10:40:13 AM »

No, not until we know whether it's ok to do that or not.

Yep, i need permission from one of the mods or bosk

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #474 on: April 21, 2011, 10:40:42 AM »

Exactly.  Tons of people will "like" DT on Facebook, giving themselves more publicity.  Then you are requiring people to join their mailing list to see the video.  It definitely gets the band more publicity and visibility they might not have had otherwise.  It is a good marketing move.
Why would saying that you have to have a facebook account, have to like Dream Theater, and have to subscribe to the mailing list increase the number of people that see the video. Isn't that the goal? To get as many people to see as possible? It seems like they're bottlenecking it.
Other way round. They're using the video to encourage people to sign up to them on Facebook.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #475 on: April 21, 2011, 10:42:36 AM »
I still think Minnemann is the best fit.....like a glove!!

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #476 on: April 21, 2011, 10:44:17 AM »

Exactly.  Tons of people will "like" DT on Facebook, giving themselves more publicity.  Then you are requiring people to join their mailing list to see the video.  It definitely gets the band more publicity and visibility they might not have had otherwise.  It is a good marketing move.
Other way round. They're using the video to encourage people to sign up to them on Facebook.
I get that, but from the discussions I've heard a three minute video isn't enough to get people to sign up. Whereas on YouTube, everybody watches no problem.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #477 on: April 21, 2011, 10:45:00 AM »
After watching the video a couple of times, i think that Minnemann and Mangini are having the most fun, some of the other drummers look more focused and nervous.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #478 on: April 21, 2011, 10:45:06 AM »
Yep, i need permission from one of the mods or bosk

Since they're trying to use Facebook as the medium to get the word out and are trying to keep it somewhat "exclusive" for now, don't post it.  If you happen to share it outside the public part of this forum, so be it.  But just don't post it in the threads or solicit people to PM you are email you about it, please.  Thanks.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #479 on: April 21, 2011, 10:48:04 AM »
I'd like to retract my earlier statement about them announcing through the microphone in the control room to the new drummer that he was in the band. I watched it again, and yea they're talking into the phone.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #480 on: April 21, 2011, 10:49:48 AM »
absolutely this. Too bad he supposedly won't be the drummer. I still have my fingers crossed that these rumors are false and that he is in-fact a part of DT.

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #481 on: April 21, 2011, 10:52:40 AM »
I'd like to retract my earlier statement about them announcing through the microphone in the control room to the new drummer that he was in the band. I watched it again, and yea they're talking into the phone.

yeah... i'm a bit intrigued by this, it seems like cove and if thats true it means they let the drummer know he was the chosen one until january

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #482 on: April 21, 2011, 10:53:41 AM »
Have to say, I like the way they're doing it. Ok the reality TV side of things is very cheesy, but it's also really fun. And besides, most of us are of the assumption that it's most likely Mangini, but this will still give us some cool insight into the process and allow us to see the auditions etc.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #484 on: April 21, 2011, 10:54:24 AM »
the production company said they wrapped filming in October.  My guess is that they made their decision really early in this process.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #485 on: April 21, 2011, 10:56:53 AM »
Its on youtube. Yay. Now I can see it. Its stupid how its not mobile friendly. What if we want to see it, are on Facebook, signed up, yet cant?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #486 on: April 21, 2011, 10:58:31 AM »
I'm just happy Mike didn't "direct" this. Anyone remember SFaM DVD? Yikes.

I think he also directed Score and Budokan.  Remember how they turned out?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #487 on: April 21, 2011, 10:59:27 AM »
absolutely this. Too bad he supposedly won't be the drummer. I still have my fingers crossed that these rumors are false and that he is in-fact a part of DT.

Yeah, I'm still sooooo rooting for Minnemann.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #488 on: April 21, 2011, 11:02:55 AM »
ME too.  Minneman or Lang
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline unspoken

« Reply #489 on: April 21, 2011, 11:03:21 AM »
I recognized Lang, Priester, Minnemann and probably Mangini and MAYBE Wildoer.

Mangini is the one who threw his sticks in the air.

So...that was it....If Mangini is in fact THE CHOSEN ONE....it was probably due to the "sticks in the air" move.... DT love drummers who throw their sticks into the air  :lol :lol