Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 661047 times)

Offline robwebster

Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #420 on: April 21, 2011, 10:00:48 AM »
I have no qualms with them stretching it out now, that's how they will maintain interest until the album comes out.
My only concern is that DT is joining in with other "illustrous" reality-TV bands like INXS etc.

rumborak

Joining in with bands who can market products to their fanbase cleverly is no bad thing.

If it was just a cheap, wasteful cash-in, I'd be a little cautious. As it is, it looks like a lavishly produced documentary feature, offering an in-depth view of a process that we've spent the last six months speculating about.

A band that takes care and expends effort in giving the fans a product that they'll be interested in receiving gets all the thumbs up from me. And, frankly, as ridiculous as the wait's been, I'd rather the news be delivered through the medium of a gorgeous, lengthy, in-depth examination of the most exciting process in the band's recent history, than through the medium of a press release tucked away on a Roadrunner Records website.

It creates publicity because it's good.

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #421 on: April 21, 2011, 10:01:11 AM »
I can only think of Vh1 and Eddie trunk

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #422 on: April 21, 2011, 10:01:30 AM »
Awesome video trailer.  I'm very excited and proud to be a DT fan.  Very classy and it's great to the the guys tackle this in such a creative way.  Thanks, DT!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #423 on: April 21, 2011, 10:01:43 AM »
I have no qualms with them stretching it out now, that's how they will maintain interest until the album comes out.
My only concern is that DT is joining in with other "illustrous" reality-TV bands like INXS etc.

rumborak

It will be a one time thing until the new album is released, then it will be back to business as usual. I also doubt DT is a big enough band to have it ruin their image. They're making the best out of the situation. I'm sure there's a more obscure way they could handle it, but what would be the point?

I'll admit showing it on TV is a very odd idea that I don't know if I can get behind, but the typical drama imposed in this? I Don't see the problem. It's a trailer, it's only purpose is to get people excited. A simple unbiased documentary wouldn't do that for most people, they took the easy way out, but considering what they're doing, I don't think it matters which way they took out. As I said, it will all be over in a few months at most, this isn't a prolonged thing.

Doesn't have too be "more obscure", just actual documentary, not reality-TV. Band documentaries have a long history and they can be really excellent. The choice to frame this whole thing as an American Idol audition rather irritates me. Sure, I will get over it, but I scratch my head at this choice.

rumborak

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #424 on: April 21, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »

rumborak

Joining in with bands who can market products to their fanbase cleverly is no bad thing.

If it was just a cheap, wasteful cash-in, I'd be a little cautious. As it is, it looks like a lavishly produced documentary feature, offering an in-depth view of a process that we've spent the last six months speculating about.

A band that takes care and expends effort in giving the fans a product that they'll be interested in receiving gets all the thumbs up from me. And, frankly, as ridiculous as the wait's been, I'd rather the news be delivered through the medium of a gorgeous, lengthy, in-depth examination of the most exciting process in the band's recent history, than through the medium of a press release tucked away on a Roadrunner Records website.

Words of wisdom. As usual.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #425 on: April 21, 2011, 10:02:36 AM »
I wonder how long that has been on that site. Looks like it has been there for a long while :lol

EDIT: Holy crap, look at the Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/OverTheEdgeProd

Quoted so it's not lost. Really mindblowing that this has been on the Internet all this time.

Offline nickel

« Reply #427 on: April 21, 2011, 10:03:03 AM »
I think it's kind of funny that today's Facebook video doesn't tell us anything that we wouldn't have already known if only we had stumbled across the production company's blog back in January!!  I mean... between Over The Edge Productions' blog and twitter feed, we all should've already known all this.   :o

-nickel

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #428 on: April 21, 2011, 10:03:38 AM »
Well atleast we now know what the hold up was !

Offline unspoken

« Reply #429 on: April 21, 2011, 10:03:51 AM »
I wonder how long that has been on that site. Looks like it has been there for a long while :lol

LOL @ Dream Theatre ....i dunno if that was misspelled on purpose, but that actually prevented those tweets from appearing whenever I searched for Dream Theater on tweeter

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #430 on: April 21, 2011, 10:04:07 AM »
uh oh

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #431 on: April 21, 2011, 10:04:53 AM »
Yeah, how has no-one discovered that? :D

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT

Offline robwebster

« Reply #433 on: April 21, 2011, 10:05:15 AM »
This goes back as far as January. I am ashamed of us.

Offline Raziel666

• Infinite Moonloops
« Reply #434 on: April 21, 2011, 10:05:30 AM »

Actually, since January 28, 2011.

So this TV thing means that us outside the US won't be able to watch? :/

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #435 on: April 21, 2011, 10:05:51 AM »
In addition to a nation-wide release, the film is rumored to air on television as a 3-part mini-series (official details TBA).

So national release? In Theaters?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #436 on: April 21, 2011, 10:06:08 AM »
I'll admit showing it on TV is a very odd idea that I don't know if I can get behind, but the typical drama imposed in this? I Don't see the problem. It's a trailer, it's only purpose is to get people excited. A simple unbiased documentary wouldn't do that for most people, they took the easy way out, but considering what they're doing, I don't think it matters which way they took out. As I said, it will all be over in a few months at most, this isn't a prolonged thing.

If they're just having fun with this, that's cool. The fear is that with this AI-style stuff, a 3-episode mini-series etc., DT is maybe taking the "next step" in their career.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline jsem

« Reply #437 on: April 21, 2011, 10:06:32 AM »
Aired... on AMERICAN TV? That is some serious crap right there. Hopefully it'll appear on some streaming website or something.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #438 on: April 21, 2011, 10:06:41 AM »
Oh god I'm so crossing my fingers for Virgil Donati :metal

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #439 on: April 21, 2011, 10:06:45 AM »
Man, one thing you can't say about all this is that it's dull. This is fun stuff

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #440 on: April 21, 2011, 10:07:13 AM »
i was all cool til the TV part

Offline robwebster

« Reply #441 on: April 21, 2011, 10:07:52 AM »

If they're just having fun with this, that's cool. The fear is that with this AI-style stuff, a 3-episode mini-series etc., DT is maybe taking the "next step" in their career.

rumborak

Why's that a "fear?"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #442 on: April 21, 2011, 10:08:28 AM »
Because it's not really the band I fell in love with back in the day.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: April 21, 2011, 10:09:47 AM »
All this media shit is kinda making me nervous to how the album is going to sound.  
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #444 on: April 21, 2011, 10:10:04 AM »
In addition to a nation-wide release, the film is rumored to air on television as a 3-part mini-series (official details TBA).

So national release? In Theaters?
Ooh christ, miniseries? I like that even more.

Probably won't be as easy for us to see in Europe, though...

rumborak

Fair cop. I don't know, I quite like the progression. I love that they're using the change as an excuse to grow, and excel, and develop. Marching boldly into the future - and, snowballing. Quite happy for them.

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #445 on: April 21, 2011, 10:10:08 AM »

rumborak

I agree with this.. change is fearful... altho we don't know if it's going to be for good or bad. I hope they will do great.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #446 on: April 21, 2011, 10:10:17 AM »
So I like the concept, it's very cool that they'll be showing so much detail about the auditions and really opening up about MP.

What I don't get was why four months ago they didn't say, "We're filming a documentary about the whole process, but it'll be better if you don't know who the drummer is until you see the whole thing." ? Still can't figure out why they're limiting it to fb either, it does a lot of good for their image, but only if you let people see it, it should be on their site, YouTube, everywhere.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #447 on: April 21, 2011, 10:10:50 AM »

rumborak

Words of wisdom. As usual.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #448 on: April 21, 2011, 10:12:40 AM »
So I like the concept, it's very cool that they'll be showing so much detail about the auditions and really opening up about MP.

What I don't get was why four months ago they didn't say, "We're filming a documentary about the whole process, but it'll be better if you don't know who the drummer is until you see the whole thing." ? Still can't figure out why they're limiting it to fb either, it does a lot of good for their image, but only if you let people see it, it should be on their site, YouTube, everywhere.
I think the facebook thing is because, by controlling who sees it, they can prompt people to join their mailing list - allows them to establish a direct connection to the fans.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #449 on: April 21, 2011, 10:14:25 AM »
That's pretty cool of them to make a documentary. It is a really monumental moment for the Band and its history. Of course people are never satisfied, but the music is what counts. I'm more sad that I can't see the video.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #450 on: April 21, 2011, 10:15:42 AM »

rumborak

I definitely just think they're having fun and doing this all very tongue-in-cheek. I personally enjoyed that teaser promo and found it entertaining!

Also, as usual I agree with everything Mr Rob Webster is saying in this thread. Clever chap, that one!

EDIT: To clarify, I think the reality TV side of it is a little tongue in cheek. The straight documentary stuff seems genuinely good.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline njdtfan

Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #452 on: April 21, 2011, 10:17:40 AM »
On an unreleated note, the number of people reading this thread at the moment is a bit ridiculous.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #453 on: April 21, 2011, 10:18:05 AM »
Warning - while you were reading 7 new replies have been posted. You may wish to review your post.
o___0

Minnemann should have been dubbed the new drummer simply for that cookie monster shirt

And well done to RR/DT/film company for capitalizing on the drummer situation

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #454 on: April 21, 2011, 10:18:30 AM »

rumborak

Fair enough.  But here's the thing.  They're a band that was known for going to the extra mile for the fans, whether it be the rotating set lists, the Ytsejam releases, etc.  As with those other things, some fans may like how they're handling this, and some may hate it.  But I think they should still get props by trying to continue in that tradition of going the extra mile and trying to provide the fans with something way above and beyond what most bands would give their fans in this situation.  (and I'm not saying you aren't giving them well-deserved props--I'm just speaking in general)  Even if the fanbase decided collectively that this whole thing is a flop and the videos aren't something we're interested in, I find it cool that even without Mike, who was the driving force behind a lot of this stuff, the band are still trying to think outside the box and give us some extras.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."