Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 661221 times)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2011, 06:27:30 PM »
I have class during this.  :-\

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2011, 06:29:56 PM »
Cool. Just can't wait till they release their first exclusive.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline JPX

« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2011, 06:58:56 PM »
How about this - They release an audition video each week and the last one is the drummer.

or a variation on this . . . .

How about a 6 word press release.

Our new drummer is ________ _________.

DT & Roadrunner

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2011, 07:02:34 PM »
As excited as I am to see we're finally gonna learn who the drummer is, doesn't an "announcement of the announcement" have anyone worried that something extremely gimmicky is going to ensue?

Offline darkshot

« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2011, 07:12:47 PM »
I'm just happy to hear anything at this point, its been so long since we heard anything official.  This does sound like they are going to milk the announcement even after this long.

Offline italianoman

• Where am I?
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2011, 07:18:54 PM »
Yar; I look at it like this: any press they generate is exposure and exposure = fans/money and if Dream Theater is making money I'm happy...even if they have to string us around by our pinkies for a few months to do it. Also, someone should compile some of the more hilarious comments on DT's Facebook :D "Dream THEATER, WHY NEVER INDIA PAST present or June bug! THIS hate overcomes mountains of valor for your swedish massage PORTNOY!"
https://www.facebook.com/DreaminginWaves
I sing, I shred and I do it better than most monkeys.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2011, 07:44:35 PM »
So do we have to sign up exactly at 11 AM or can we do it later in the day. This whole thing is rather unclear
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline unspoken

« Reply #112 on: April 18, 2011, 07:50:20 PM »
I wonder if Portnoy will subscribe to the mailing list...

Offline JPX

« Reply #113 on: April 18, 2011, 07:53:33 PM »
Yar; I look at it like this: any press they generate is exposure and exposure = fans/money and if Dream Theater is making money I'm happy...even if they have to string us around by our pinkies for a few months to do it. Also, someone should compile some of the more hilarious comments on DT's Facebook :D "Dream THEATER, WHY NEVER INDIA PAST present or June bug! THIS hate overcomes mountains of valor for your swedish massage PORTNOY!"

I want what he's having.  :hat

Offline Aniland

« Reply #114 on: April 18, 2011, 08:06:58 PM »
So do we have to sign up exactly at 11 AM or can we do it later in the day. This whole thing is rather unclear

Do you really think they're going to ONLY let people who are there in that 60 second period sign up?  :justjen

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #115 on: April 18, 2011, 08:53:36 PM »

Do you really think they're going to ONLY let people who are there in that 60 second period sign up?  :justjen
I really wouldn't be surprised if it just lasted from 11 to 12, Aniland. I really wouldn't
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #116 on: April 18, 2011, 08:59:35 PM »
Anyways, Still can't wait to get some recent footage of something, at least footage.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #117 on: April 18, 2011, 09:19:30 PM »
As excited as I am to see we're finally gonna learn who the drummer is, doesn't an "announcement of the announcement" have anyone worried that something extremely gimmicky is going to ensue?
Kind of like how they still haven't said anything about actually announcing the new guy, just "At this point sign up, and then at some unknown point we will tell you when we will announce him."

Yeah...

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #118 on: April 19, 2011, 12:47:46 AM »
If you don't want to join Facebook, that's fine. It'll be on here. Its basically saying they're gonna post a link to the newsletter sign up. Which will be posted here...

Anything the band says will be posted here guaranteed.

"The announcement will not disappoint." "We'll let you know soon"

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #119 on: April 19, 2011, 03:24:56 AM »
I understand respectiving exclusivity, but it strikes me as ironic that DT would be using a social networking site for an item they don't want socially networked.

Looking forward to the videos in any regard.  I wonder how long this "announcement to the announcement" has been in the works.  At least since James signed up for FB a couple of months ago, don't you think?

Offline robwebster

« Reply #120 on: April 19, 2011, 04:59:22 AM »
I understand respectiving exclusivity, but it strikes me as ironic that DT would be using a social networking site for an item they don't want socially networked.

Looking forward to the videos in any regard.  I wonder how long this "announcement to the announcement" has been in the works.  At least since James signed up for FB a couple of months ago, don't you think?
James has had facebook for years... found his profile a little while ago while idly searching - wondered if he might be tucked away under the name Kevin. He was. People only started adding him fairly recently, though.

What makes you think they don't want it socially networked? They're trying to ride the tide of publicity... I'd imagine that's exactly the point. They want to make the blogosphere explode. I might be missing something, here.

Offline Raziel666

• Infinite Moonloops
« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2011, 05:13:09 AM »
Kind of like how they still haven't said anything about actually announcing the new guy, just "At this point sign up, and then at some unknown point we will tell you when we will announce him."

In the press release it says that we will find out exactly when and now the drummer announcement will be made, so it's not an unknown point.

Also, if it was for some distant future, I don't think the press release would be tagged 'For immediate release'.

Just my 2c...

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #122 on: April 19, 2011, 05:25:27 AM »
I don't understand why it would be bannable under any circumstance. The band probably just wanted to make announcing the drummer fun. I don't think they are trying to keep it "exclusive", so I don't know why it would be a bannable offense to post it here. Considering atleast 80% of the people on this forum most likely have a facebook, it'd be really dumb to restrict discussion on it even if the band, by some ridiculous stretch of logic, wanted the information they are releasing to millions of people.... private.

Plus, every single other music website on the internet is gonna have that news. So if you don't have it here, you're pretty much losing traffic because people are just gonna go to any other website... probably even MP's forum.  :lol

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2011, 06:13:08 AM »

Yep. That's what they are going to do. And everyone on the other side of the world should set an alarm clock and wake up in the middle of the night just for this event.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2011, 06:16:30 AM »
Vox, what time is it over here then?
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2011, 06:41:19 AM »

In the press release it says that we will find out exactly when and now the drummer announcement will be made, so it's not an unknown point.

But it doesn't say when they will announce that. They could wait two more months (or any other period of time) then say "We'll tell you next Tuesday."

Wouldn't they want it spread as much as possible? Why would anyone with something to sell not want something "socially networked"?

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2011, 06:45:10 AM »
But it doesn't say when they will announce that. They could wait two more months (or any other period of time) then say "We'll tell you next Tuesday."

It does:

Go to Dream Theater’s Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dream-Theater/7677942180) on Thursday, 4/21 at 11 AM to sign up for the mailing list and to receive more details about an exclusive and intimate look at the auditions, and to find out exactly when and how the momentous announcement about the band’s new lineup will be made.

Thursday at 11 AM they will say exactly when and how the "real" announcement will be.

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2011, 08:21:29 AM »
You guys do know, you do not need a facebook account to see and visit DT's facebook page?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2011, 08:25:35 AM »
Meh......

I'll find out on here i'm sure.

If I can sign up on Thursday at whatever time I go there, cool.

If not, no biggie.

:coolio

Offline Metal

« Reply #129 on: April 19, 2011, 09:41:45 AM »
I have class during this.  :-\

Then the only option Dream Theater has left you is to skip said class.    :hat
Don't know where you live, but if your ever in Berkeley, dinner's on me.  Thanks man!!!

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #130 on: April 19, 2011, 09:43:34 AM »
That's true. You don't have to sign up for Facebook to view their page. The only thing you sign up for is the mailing list which will be a link.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #131 on: April 19, 2011, 10:42:40 AM »
Eh, I will hear it on here. Not signing up for an announcement of an announcement.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #132 on: April 19, 2011, 01:57:09 PM »

It does:

Go to Dream Theater’s Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dream-Theater/7677942180) on Thursday, 4/21 at 11 AM to sign up for the mailing list and to receive more details about an exclusive and intimate look at the auditions, and to find out exactly when and how the momentous announcement about the band’s new lineup will be made.

Thursday at 11 AM they will say exactly when and how the "real" announcement will be.
That is not how I interpret that sentence. To me that says, 'You can sign up for the mailing list Thursday.' It does not say 'We will be sending things out to the people on the mailing list on Thursday.'

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #133 on: April 19, 2011, 02:05:46 PM »
Apparently you can't read..."and to receive"

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #134 on: April 19, 2011, 02:36:43 PM »

This does not mean Thursday, but it could mean Thursday!

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #135 on: April 19, 2011, 02:40:02 PM »
It says "receive", but it doesn't say "Receive on Thursday." We could receive it on Thursday, or Friday, or the second Tuesday of next week.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #136 on: April 19, 2011, 02:59:32 PM »
I'm also very hesitant about what it means in terms of timing. I have the impression they intentionally worded it so ambiguously.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #137 on: April 19, 2011, 03:01:32 PM »
This pretty much explains though why it's taken so long. Evidently RR wanted to do this mailing list and drag it out even more...

Don't get me wrong, this is my impression. I'm excited for this and pumped for Thursday
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: April 19, 2011, 04:04:54 PM »
Vox, what time is it over here then?
No idea and I must say that I don't really care that much. I'll see whatever announcent they make here, just 30 seconds later. And I don't really care for DT that much anymore.

But if I had to guess the time difference is somewhere between 6 and 9 hours :p. It's not exactly clear to me what timezone DT is in.

Offline JasonScandopolous

« Reply #139 on: April 19, 2011, 04:07:44 PM »

It does:

That is not how I interpret that sentence. To me that says, 'You can sign up for the mailing list Thursday.' It does not say 'We will be sending things out to the people on the mailing list on Thursday.'

Maybe it's just me, but it seems pretty clear what is going to happen.  On thursday, on their facebook page, you will be able to sign up for a mailing list.  On thursday, information will be provided on their facebook page regarding the "exclusive and intimate look at the auditions".  On thursday, you will learn when you'll know the new drummer, and how.  

You will not know the new drummer on thursday.  This much is obvious from the word "when" in the last sentence ("..to find out exactly when and how the momentous announcement will be made")...  Unless you consider this a possible Thursday message:  "you found out when the announcement will be made:  just a second ago, when you read the sentence telling you who it was!  congrats!".  

You probably need to sign up for the mailing list to get further info about the "exclusive intimate look at the auditions" (to actually get the exclusive look, rather than to be told how the exclusive look will be transmitted, which is what is happening Thursday).  Bosk may or may not let this info leak onto DTF without you signing up for the mailing list, but it'll be on the internet somewhere anyway, I'm sure.