News:

The staff at DTF wish to remind you all that a firm grasp of the rules of Yahtzee can save your life and the lives of your loved ones.  Be safe out there.

Main Menu

An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer

Started by Weymolith, April 18, 2011, 08:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chino

The drummer with the cookie monster shirt reminds me of Norm from Avatar.

7StringedBeast

Hmm facebook has stopped loading for me.  DT broke facebook.

hefdaddy42

Quote from: Aniland on April 21, 2011, 08:42:33 AM
Quote from: hefdaddy42 on April 21, 2011, 08:36:23 AM
Aniland, please cut it out.

As someone who is legitimately not instigating anything, lemme know what you want me to cut out? No disrespect.
You've been spamming the blue fuck out of this thread with nonsensical posts, and called one other person an ass.  Just chill out a little, it's not a chat thread.
Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

DreamerTV

When they're in the studio, at the end of the video, and James on the Phone says "...welcome you to the family" they're actually at Cove, aren't they? Do you think it's part of the script (of this sort of Talent Show) or may be right to think "he" wasn't there with them when they've written the music?

Aniland

Jirpo

Quote from: Rafael Guerra on April 21, 2011, 08:37:57 AM
I took a screenshot in the moment where one of the drummers is holding a letter. I'm trying to figure out what it says:

"To The World's Greatest Drummers, welcome to the auditions! We are sorry we don't have a practice room. But we do have something for you  to practice on - and doing so well provides instant glorification, the [something] inside!

Please attack this drum with the mallet we've provided, just as you are going to do for real in the studio! :)
Best wishes to an audition that blows everyone away!"

This is probably a FAIL transcription, feel free to help me out....if you have nothing better to do, like me.
Cool, thanks for doing this :)

hefdaddy42

Quote from: BlobVanDam on December 11, 2014, 08:19:46 PMHef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

italianoman

Interesting. The press release for the video on Monday specifically stated that we join the mailing list 4/21 "to receive more details about an exclusive and intimate look at the auditions, and to find out exactly when and how the momentous announcement about the band's new lineup will be made." EXACTLY when and how? I joined, I watched and I have no clue when I'll find out...that part makes me angry. Other than that, cool beans.

Nihil-Morari

Adami

Quote from: rumborak on April 21, 2011, 08:42:44 AM
I have no qualms with them stretching it out now, that's how they will maintain interest until the album comes out.
My only concern is that DT is joining in with other "illustrous" reality-TV bands like INXS etc.

rumborak

It will be a one time thing until the new album is released, then it will be back to business as usual. I also doubt DT is a big enough band to have it ruin their image. They're making the best out of the situation. I'm sure there's a more obscure way they could handle it, but what would be the point?
[url="//www.fanticide.bandcamp.com"]www.fanticide.bandcamp.com[/url]

Chino

jdprsaga

Quote from: DreamerTV on April 21, 2011, 08:46:14 AM
When they're in the studio, at the end of the video, and James on the Phone says "...welcome you to the family" they're actually at Cove, aren't they? Do you think it's part of the script (of this sort of Talent Show) or may be right to think "he" wasn't there with them when they've written the music?

Interesting question..

phentalmyst

Quote from: Bill Carson on April 21, 2011, 08:30:31 AM
So do you reckon Mangini got it to keep the band all american...I mean over the likes of Marco, Lang & Donati in particular ?

have you met their singer james? you know, the canadian?

ronrule

https://www.otenyc.com/index.html

The production company that made the video.  Click on News, then the DT Majesty logo.

"In October, OTE wrapped principle photography on a feature length documentary for legendary band Dream Theater."

. . .

"There will also be a one hour television premiere (Network TBD) that will announce the new drummer"

Chino

Quote from: phentalmyst on April 21, 2011, 08:50:53 AM
Quote from: Bill Carson on April 21, 2011, 08:30:31 AM
So do you reckon Mangini got it to keep the band all american...I mean over the likes of Marco, Lang & Donati in particular ?

have you met their singer james? you know, the canadian?

What are you talking aboot?

Adami

They were in the control room, they could have easily gone in there to speak in privacy and then speaking through the control mic to let the drummer in the live room hear them. It's what happened in that movie Rock Star.
[url="//www.fanticide.bandcamp.com"]www.fanticide.bandcamp.com[/url]

7StringedBeast

So the new drummer will be announced on TV during a 1 hour special.  WTF?

Chino

Tunnel Vision

Quote from: ronrule on April 21, 2011, 08:51:20 AM

The production company that made the video.  Click on News, then the DT Majesty logo.

Holy shit, a one hour television premiere announcing the drummer? Wow

Nic35

Chino

Honestly, if all this secret keeping was over a TV promotional stunt, imma be pissed.

Aramatheis

jdprsaga

Quote from: Adami on April 21, 2011, 08:51:35 AM

They were in the control room, they could have easily gone in there to speak in privacy and then speaking through the control mic to let the drummer in the live room hear them. It's what happened in that movie Rock Star.

Yeah.. but wasn't they @ cove until january?? i think the audition was not held on cove.

7StringedBeast

Quote from: Chino on April 21, 2011, 08:55:20 AM
Honestly, if all this secret keeping was over a TV promotional stunt, imma be pissed.

I'm already pissed because that is quite obviously what this was all about.  DT is not that kind of band.  So what the hell is Road Runner doing to them?

tri.ad

Welp, there probably goes my theory about the release with the new album.

nikatapi

"In October, OTE wrapped principle photography on a feature length documentary for legendary band Dream Theater."

. . .

"There will also be a one hour television premiere (Network TBD) that will announce the new drummer"

Pretty cool info, thanx for the link.

Aniland

I wonder if this is going to be on any major networks or what?

YtseJamittaja

WOW!! Didn't see that coming! I really hope I can see it!!! :caffeine:

Global Laziness

Quote from: nikatapi on April 21, 2011, 08:44:05 AM
What is disappointing for me besides the whole reality-like atmosphere, is the lack of a date for the announcement.
"to find out exactly when and how the momentous announcement about the band's new lineup will be made" was in the first announcement, yet we didn't get a date.

Yeah, I was disappointed too. I mean, the video's cool and all, but couldn't we at least have got that three-minute clip a few months ago?

nickel

From here:  https://overtheedgeprod.blogspot.com/2011/01/movie-for-dream-theater.html

"In October, Over the Edge Production wrapped principle photography on a feature length documentary for the legendary band Dream Theater.  The movie is directed by Mike Leonard and sponsored by Roadrunner Records. In the film, we follow the bands journey after their drummer of 25 years, Mike Portnoy, leaves the band.  Now, 7 of the world's best drummers compete to be part of this legendary progressive-rock group.  We are currently in postproduction with the release expected in spring 2011.  In addition to a nation-wide release, the film is rumored to air on television as a 3-part mini-series (official details TBA).  Dream Theater fans are dying to know who the new drummer is, but it will be worth the wait. Soon fans will be able to watch history in the making through this highly anticipated movie."

-nickel

pogoowner

Jamesman42

I wonder how long that has been on that site. Looks like it has been there for a long while :lol

EDIT: Holy crap, look at the Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/OverTheEdgeProd
\o\ lol /o/

rumborak

Quote from: Adami on April 21, 2011, 08:49:29 AM
Quote from: rumborak on April 21, 2011, 08:42:44 AM
I have no qualms with them stretching it out now, that's how they will maintain interest until the album comes out.
My only concern is that DT is joining in with other "illustrous" reality-TV bands like INXS etc.

rumborak

It will be a one time thing until the new album is released, then it will be back to business as usual. I also doubt DT is a big enough band to have it ruin their image. They're making the best out of the situation. I'm sure there's a more obscure way they could handle it, but what would be the point?

Doesn't have too be "more obscure", just actual documentary, not reality-TV. Band documentaries have a long history and they can be really excellent. The choice to frame this whole thing as an American Idol audition rather irritates me. Sure, I will get over it, but I scratch my head at this choice.

rumborak

Nic35

So, they filmed a one hour documentary that'll be shown on TV. Fuck yes.