News:

DreamTheaterForums is a place for people who just don't have the time for music anymore. 

Main Menu

An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer

Started by Weymolith, April 18, 2011, 08:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

tri.ad

Quote from: cyberdrummer on April 29, 2011, 11:26:26 AM
'DT and I have a great musical vibe. But DT also need a guy who fits the band as a person, like a casting. AND someone who's ready to fully commit! I really just went in and had fun:-) and it was great and we're already planning some future projects together. I wish though I had the chance to ok the footage. I wasn't prepared to end up in a reality show:-). Have fun and thanks again from the bottom of my heart.Marco'

You know, the part about the future projects with some guys of DT (most likely JP and JR) really makes me think that this is the best outcome for everyone. MM got what he aimed for and what he wanted so dearly, and MaMi still gets to have fun with some of the guys in a side project or something like that without having to commit to the extent he would have to in DT. That way, none of the two would be let down and we'll be getting some great music out of it as well.

Aramatheis

Plus, now everyone knows how awesome Peter Wildoer is, Priester has (at least from me) gained a lot of respect, and Donati, Lang & Roddy all got to showcase their talents!


Very cool.

Dimitrius

I just realize Peter Wildoer has been posting on the forum and has been lurking in it since September!



We must know what he thinks of Thundersword!!!

7StringedBeast

Quote from: tri.ad on April 29, 2011, 12:23:12 PM
Quote from: cyberdrummer on April 29, 2011, 11:26:26 AM
'DT and I have a great musical vibe. But DT also need a guy who fits the band as a person, like a casting. AND someone who's ready to fully commit! I really just went in and had fun:-) and it was great and we're already planning some future projects together. I wish though I had the chance to ok the footage. I wasn't prepared to end up in a reality show:-). Have fun and thanks again from the bottom of my heart.Marco'

You know, the part about the future projects with some guys of DT (most likely JP and JR) really makes me think that this is the best outcome for everyone. MM got what he aimed for and what he wanted so dearly, and MaMi still gets to have fun with some of the guys in a side project or something like that without having to commit to the extent he would have to in DT. That way, none of the two would be let down and we'll be getting some great music out of it as well.

I very much agree with this.  Can't wait to hear a side project with Marco come out.  No doubt it's going to be some incredible stuff.

kennedymichael

Quote from: cyberdrummer on April 29, 2011, 11:26:26 AM
. . . dearly, and MaMi still gets to have fun . . . .

So the offical names are MiMa and MaMi?

STEVETHEATER

If it wasn't for Mike I think they would go with Peter... My God, I was really impressed by his audition.

jamhet

Quote from: rumborak on April 29, 2011, 10:52:11 AM
Ok, I gotta be honest here. I don't even get why DT bothered to invite Aquiles. Angra is 100% power metal, and DT is 0%.
Nonsense.
DT's sound is very much rooted in power metal. Today, I'd say DT is at least 25% power metal.

rumborak


7StringedBeast

Quote from: jamhet on April 29, 2011, 12:31:36 PM
Quote from: rumborak on April 29, 2011, 10:52:11 AM
Ok, I gotta be honest here. I don't even get why DT bothered to invite Aquiles. Angra is 100% power metal, and DT is 0%.
Nonsense.
DT's sound is very much rooted in power metal. Today, I'd say DT is at least 25% power metal.

rumborak



lol what?  DT has no power metal in them.  You must be thinking of Symphony X.

ReaPsTA

Quote from: jamhet on April 29, 2011, 12:31:36 PM
Nonsense.
DT's sound is very much rooted in power metal. Today, I'd say DT is at least 25% power metal.

You've made three posts and I've hated two of them now.

How can DT's sound be "rooted" in power metal when power metal didn't even exist until after DT?

nickel

Quote from: jamhet on April 29, 2011, 12:31:36 PM
Quote from: rumborak on April 29, 2011, 10:52:11 AM
Ok, I gotta be honest here. I don't even get why DT bothered to invite Aquiles. Angra is 100% power metal, and DT is 0%.
Nonsense.
DT's sound is very much rooted in power metal. Today, I'd say DT is at least 25% power metal.

rumborak



And Angra is not 100% power metal... they have definite prog leanings (Holy Land and Temple of the Shadows)... enough so that they are included, rightfully, on progarchives.com

Dimitrius

Quote from: kennedymichael on April 29, 2011, 12:30:33 PM
Quote from: cyberdrummer on April 29, 2011, 11:26:26 AM
. . . dearly, and MaMi still gets to have fun . . . .

So the offical names are MiMa and MaMi?
No, they're officially MM and MM.

































oh wait!

TempusVox

I am soooo psyched about this! MMang was the best choice of the group in my personal opinion, and I was genuinely moved about how moved he was to be chosen. I cannot fucking wait to witness the next part of the journey.

The Silent Cody

So - we have MaMi and MMang (the last sounds like Lang  :laugh: )

DTDTDT

I don't agree that Eddie Trunk is a dick.
I think most of you misinterpreted the purpose of these videos.
The main goal was preparing fans for Mangini, not to surprise them
with a reality show. That is why he was the first drummer in the auditions.
They wanted us to think on choosing a drummer, like they did,
so that we can understand why they chose Mangini.
And it worked. I can really understand why Mangini is the guy they needed.
and I'm a happy fan.
So, Trunk didn't ruin the surprise because it wasn't meant to be a surprise.

Aramatheis

Quote from: ReaPsTA on April 29, 2011, 12:33:56 PM
Quote from: jamhet on April 29, 2011, 12:31:36 PM
Nonsense.
DT's sound is very much rooted in power metal. Today, I'd say DT is at least 25% power metal.

You've made three posts and I've hated two of them now.

This. *Shakes head* New guys, eh?












:neverusethis:

tri.ad

Quote from: kennedymichael on April 29, 2011, 12:30:33 PM
Quote from: cyberdrummer on April 29, 2011, 11:26:26 AM
. . . dearly, and MaMi still gets to have fun . . . .

So the offical names are MiMa and MaMi?

No, MM and MaMi. At least, that's what I'm probably going to use.

ReaPsTA

Quote from: DTDTDT on April 29, 2011, 12:38:17 PM
I don't agree that Eddie Trunk is a dick.
I think most of you misinterpreted the purpose of these videos.
The main goal was preparing fans for Mangini, not to surprise them
with a reality show. That is why he was the first drummer in the auditions.
They wanted us to think on choosing a drummer, like they did,
so that we can understand why they chose Mangini.
And it worked. I can really understand why Mangini is the guy they needed.
and I'm a happy fan.
So, Trunk didn't ruin the surprise because it wasn't meant to be a surprise.

The auditions were shown in the order they occurred, which is why Mangini was first.  The way it was edited didn't leave much suspense, but I don't think the show was changed after the leaks.  DT never indicated in any way who the new drummer was and had all the guys sign confidentiality agreements, so I'm really sure they did want it to be a surprise.

chrisbDTM

only official members get the two initial call letters

MM = mangini



even john myung calls himself JM

Dimitrius


ReaPsTA

Quote from: Aramatheis on April 29, 2011, 12:42:23 PM
This. *Shakes head* New guys, eh?

Something rubs me the wrong way about joining a forum to say Mangini sucks and is immature, and then telling a member with a lot of posts that his point is nonsense.

Quote from: chrisbDTM on April 29, 2011, 12:44:02 PM
only official members get the two initial call letters

MM = mangini



even john myung calls himself JM

Great point.

rumborak

Quote from: jamhet on April 29, 2011, 12:31:36 PM
Quote from: rumborak on April 29, 2011, 10:52:11 AM
Ok, I gotta be honest here. I don't even get why DT bothered to invite Aquiles. Angra is 100% power metal, and DT is 0%.
Nonsense.
DT's sound is very much rooted in power metal. Today, I'd say DT is at least 25% power metal.

rumborak



I have zero tolerance for power metal. Trust me, DT is not power metal.

rumborak

Dimitrius

Quote from: rumborak on April 29, 2011, 12:45:38 PM
Quote from: jamhet on April 29, 2011, 12:31:36 PM
Quote from: rumborak on April 29, 2011, 10:52:11 AM
Ok, I gotta be honest here. I don't even get why DT bothered to invite Aquiles. Angra is 100% power metal, and DT is 0%.
Nonsense.
DT's sound is very much rooted in power metal. Today, I'd say DT is at least 25% power metal.

rumborak



I have zero tolerance for power metal. Trust me, DT is not power metal.

rumborak

Especially when he's judging Mangini based on hearing ONE album where he plays.

bosk1

Quote from: ReaPsTA on April 29, 2011, 12:33:56 PM
Quote from: jamhet on April 29, 2011, 12:31:36 PM
Nonsense.
DT's sound is very much rooted in power metal. Today, I'd say DT is at least 25% power metal.

You've made three posts and I've hated two of them now.

How can DT's sound be "rooted" in power metal when power metal didn't even exist until after DT?

Eh, you can't really say it didn't exist until after DT.  Manowar and Yngwie were doing power metal before it was called power metal.  But that slight bit of fail aside, you are absolutely correct that DT are not really rooted in power metal at all.  But why would they have to be to have invited Priester?  They obviously felt he was capable.  And it sounds like he did a great job with the actual DT material he was asked to play, other than losing the ending of TDOE, which is a beast of a song for ANYBODY to learn in the first place.  They invited him because they felt he was capable.  The audition process they came up with was designed to be incredibly challenging, and it did indeed challenge some of the world's top drummers.  I didn't really see any of the 7 and think from a playing standpoint, "this guy didn't even deserve to be considered."  

ricky

Quote from: rumborak on April 29, 2011, 12:45:38 PM
Quote from: jamhet on April 29, 2011, 12:31:36 PM
Quote from: rumborak on April 29, 2011, 10:52:11 AM
Ok, I gotta be honest here. I don't even get why DT bothered to invite Aquiles. Angra is 100% power metal, and DT is 0%.
Nonsense.
DT's sound is very much rooted in power metal. Today, I'd say DT is at least 25% power metal.

rumborak



I have zero tolerance for power metal. Trust me, DT is not power metal.

rumborak


they are far from it. power metal is known for having high, operatic singers and I think that's where the confusion may lie, as james' voice is very similar to that. but, taking the timbre of his voice aside, DT definitely are not even closely power metal by any means.  

Gadough

I just have to point this out.

11:37 of Part 3 of the doc. They're watching clips of Marco playing on the laptop.

James: :D
Petrucci: :D
Jordan: :D

Myung: -___-

It made me lol :lol

STEVETHEATER

Quote from: rumborak on April 29, 2011, 12:45:38 PM
Quote from: jamhet on April 29, 2011, 12:31:36 PM
Quote from: rumborak on April 29, 2011, 10:52:11 AM
Ok, I gotta be honest here. I don't even get why DT bothered to invite Aquiles. Angra is 100% power metal, and DT is 0%.
Nonsense.
DT's sound is very much rooted in power metal. Today, I'd say DT is at least 25% power metal.

rumborak



I have zero tolerance for power metal. Trust me, DT is not power metal.

rumborak


I agree with Rumborak... DT is not power metal... Amon Armath is power metal.

Dimitrius

Quote from: Gadough on April 29, 2011, 12:55:03 PM
I just have to point this out.

11:37 of Part 3 of the doc. They're watching clips of Marco playing on the laptop.

James: :D
Petrucci: :D
Jordan: :D

Myung: -___-

It made me lol :lol
I noticed that too! :lol

Aniland

Why was Petrucci bleeped when he said 'fuck' in the first episode, but Jordan wasn't bleeped in this one?

Dimitrius

Quote from: Aniland on April 29, 2011, 12:58:48 PM
Why was Petrucci bleeped when he said 'fuck' in the first episode, but Jordan wasn't bleeped in this one?
Because Jordan's a wizard.

bosk1

Bears can't do magic.  They don't store up mana.  Wizards, on the other hand...  :rudess:



EDIT:  And ninjas are even worse.  :reapsta:

Gadough

Quote from: STEVETHEATER on April 29, 2011, 12:55:17 PM
Quote from: rumborak on April 29, 2011, 12:45:38 PM
Quote from: jamhet on April 29, 2011, 12:31:36 PM
Quote from: rumborak on April 29, 2011, 10:52:11 AM
Ok, I gotta be honest here. I don't even get why DT bothered to invite Aquiles. Angra is 100% power metal, and DT is 0%.
Nonsense.
DT's sound is very much rooted in power metal. Today, I'd say DT is at least 25% power metal.

rumborak



I have zero tolerance for power metal. Trust me, DT is not power metal.

rumborak


I agree with Rumborak... DT is not power metal... Amon Armath is power metal.

Hey Steve. One of your epic DT wallpapers with all five members, but now with Mangini. Make it happen! ;)

Dimitrius

Quote from: bösk1 on April 29, 2011, 12:59:44 PM
Bears can't do magic.  They don't store up mana.  Wizards, on the other hand...  :rudess:



EDIT:  And ninjas are even worse.  :reapsta:
olol

Aramatheis

Quote from: Dimitrius on April 29, 2011, 12:57:57 PM
Quote from: Gadough on April 29, 2011, 12:55:03 PM
I just have to point this out.

11:37 of Part 3 of the doc. They're watching clips of Marco playing on the laptop.

James: :D
Petrucci: :D
Jordan: :D

Myung: -___-

It made me lol :lol
I noticed that too! :lol



Quote from: STEVETHEATER on April 29, 2011, 12:55:17 PM
... Amon Armath is power motherfuckin viking metal.  :metal :metal
This. Amon Amarth are friggin' awesome.

Also, their name is from LOTR.
+10000 cool points


Quote from: Gadough on April 29, 2011, 12:59:58 PM
Hey Steve. One of your epic DT wallpapers with all five members, but now with Mangini. Make it happen! ;)

He already did.

ReaPsTA

Quote from: Gadough on April 29, 2011, 12:59:58 PM
Hey Steve. One of your epic DT wallpapers with all five members, but now with Mangini. Make it happen! ;)

He already did it, and it's a great piece:


JPX

Quote from: DTDTDT on April 29, 2011, 12:38:17 PM
So, Trunk didn't ruin the surprise because it wasn't meant to be a surprise.

Really? It wasn't meant to be a suprise. Uhh ok.