Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 664904 times)

Offline Wildoer

• Forum VIP
Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #2905 on: April 29, 2011, 10:03:35 AM »
First of all  congratulations to Mr. Mangini!!! I was equally eager to know who got it a few days ago so I mailed him and he's the cooles guy ever.  :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYBODY!!! Reading your comments are pure energy for my soul. I'm out eating dinner with my job here in Sweden but just wanted to say THANKS! I'll be back...

Cheers,
Peter

Offline jcmoorehead

« Reply #2906 on: April 29, 2011, 10:04:42 AM »
Really great series, awesome to see an insight into this whole process and see all those great drummers show their stuff. I can't really knock any of the drummers, I know little about drumming for one and I imagine being able to play through a full DT song and only making one or two mistakes would still be an incredible achievement so congrats to all of them.

It was really exciting to hear JM speak about how excited he was regarding the writing and they all seemed to be so full of energy when they spoke about what they would do next. I honestly cannot wait to hear the new album.

Also to Peter, as others have said your audition was incredible, best of luck in the future!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2907 on: April 29, 2011, 10:04:50 AM »
First of all  congratulations to Mr. Mangini!!! I was equally eager to know who got it a few days ago so I mailed him and he's the cooles guy ever.  :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYBODY!!! Reading your comments are pure energy for my soul. I'm out eating dinner with my job here in Sweden but just wanted to say THANKS! I'll be back...

Cheers,
Peter

Yeah, damn dude. I had never heard of you before, but you are certainly on everyone's map now. :lol

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2908 on: April 29, 2011, 10:05:06 AM »
And what a classy thing for Mangini to say about carrying on the torch for MP...awesome.  

There was not a better way of ending the documental. Seriously.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2909 on: April 29, 2011, 10:05:53 AM »
First of all  congratulations to Mr. Mangini!!! I was equally eager to know who got it a few days ago so I mailed him and he's the cooles guy ever.  :)

Cheers,
Peter

You were incredible Peter!!!  Thanks for hanging with us through this all!  You absolutely RAWK my friend! :metal :metal :metal  

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #2910 on: April 29, 2011, 10:06:14 AM »
Yeah, it's a bit of a shame that MM likely wasn't part of the writing process, but if he wasn't, maybe he could slip in some ideas during the recording, who knows? Nonetheless, it'll be very exciting to see how much of the old writing chemistry has remained and how much of a new one has come.

Once again...why would anyone think that he would not be involved with writing?!?!?
Hey lets make a big deal by auditioning all these world class drummers then ban them from the writing process then ask them to just sit there and play everything note for note.

I agree completely, It looks like at the end of the video MM IS in fact in the drum booth at Cove City.
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline Mat JB

« Reply #2911 on: April 29, 2011, 10:06:37 AM »
It's a good day to be a Dream Theater fan. Many congratulations to Mike and Dream Theater! Bring on the new album  :metal

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2912 on: April 29, 2011, 10:06:48 AM »

Cheers,
Peter

Peter, you seriously are a class act! RAWWWWWK!

;-))))
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2913 on: April 29, 2011, 10:07:09 AM »
Some Kind Of Monster it was not  :biggrin:
THANK GOD
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2914 on: April 29, 2011, 10:07:33 AM »
Even though Thomas Lang was my first choice, Mangini was a close second.

However after watching the musical and personal chemistry of everyone involved, I have no doubts that DT made the right choice.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2915 on: April 29, 2011, 10:09:56 AM »
Some Kind Of Monster it was not  :biggrin:
THANK GOD

I hope Portnoy doesn't end up like Newsted - going from project to project, but having little success with any of them..

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2916 on: April 29, 2011, 10:11:29 AM »
I'm really happy with Mangini. The more I see the guy, the happier I am that he is now part of the band.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2917 on: April 29, 2011, 10:11:35 AM »
I would love to see Portnoy taking that break he said he wanted and use it to catch up on some actual practice and then form a project that would really show a newer side of him and his playing, something most of us have probably missed in the last 7-8 years. Certainly wish him success whatever he wants to do.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2918 on: April 29, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »
Even though Thomas Lang was my first choice, Mangini was a close second.

However after watching the musical and personal chemistry of everyone involved, I have no doubts that DT made the right choice.

Agreed... While everyone portrays their emotions differently, Mike was just so enthusiastic, much more than the rest of the guys.  His statements prior to his audition about wanting so bad to be part of DT... I didn't really hear or see that kind of passion from the others.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #2919 on: April 29, 2011, 10:12:11 AM »

Cheers,
Peter
Will you be back with James's new solo album in a few years too? ^_^

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #2920 on: April 29, 2011, 10:12:20 AM »

Cheers,
Peter

Dude, seriously, you're fucking awesome.

Offline j

« Reply #2921 on: April 29, 2011, 10:12:33 AM »
Wow, the last two guys did not disappoint!

I've said all along that I didn't have a preference.  Everybody who auditioned blew my mind and they all seemed like cool, genuine people.  But when I saw Mangini's reaction to their phone call, I knew they picked the right guy from both perspectives.

Awesome news!

-J

Offline Fuzzboy

• I'm keepin the damn christmas avatar
« Reply #2922 on: April 29, 2011, 10:12:47 AM »

Cheers,
Peter

I knew you were a great great player, but you shot your way to my #1 choice after seeing your audition video! Great job and I hope to see you here in the future!
women cops are a joke

to get a boner is just put pressure on the dick

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2923 on: April 29, 2011, 10:13:01 AM »

Cheers,
Peter

:tup

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2924 on: April 29, 2011, 10:13:36 AM »
I'm expecting to see more of your work with James LeBrie, Peter.

;-))))
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2925 on: April 29, 2011, 10:13:59 AM »
In other news, Mike Mangini is trending on twitter!

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #2926 on: April 29, 2011, 10:14:06 AM »
So. We get this announcement today. They started recording vocals almost two weeks ago. So we should get an announcement of  them finishing recording soon, too. Things are good in DT land.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #2927 on: April 29, 2011, 10:14:41 AM »
They synced it all perfectly.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #2928 on: April 29, 2011, 10:17:18 AM »
They really did. I'm willing to bet things are going to feel much faster from here to the release of the album.

On a side note, I'm surprised this thread isn't going faster. I seem to remember ridiculous jumps in posts around the release of either...it was the trailer or episode one. I forget. But it felt so much faster.

Offline clinks63

« Reply #2929 on: April 29, 2011, 10:17:52 AM »
there's still a nugget here..there where no part in the video that MM is with them in the studio..

not until there's a conflict in the tour dates of DT with MP..i can still smell Mike Portnoy is written in the leaflet..

and yes, and i'm sure..99% of us are devastated..

*my reply from MP forum..
Where's my welcome thread and 2012 DTF award for it:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=20154.0

"the third arrives..."

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2930 on: April 29, 2011, 10:18:05 AM »
They really did. I'm willing to bet things are going to feel much faster from here to the release of the album.

On a side note, I'm surprised this thread isn't going faster. I seem to remember ridiculous jumps in posts around the release of either...it was the trailer or episode one. I forget. But it felt so much faster.

It is a Friday.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2931 on: April 29, 2011, 10:18:45 AM »
there's still a nugget here..there where no part in the video that MM is with them in the studio..

not until there's a conflict in the tour dates of DT with MP..i can still smell Mike Portnoy is written in the leaflet..

LOL
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2932 on: April 29, 2011, 10:19:11 AM »

What?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #2933 on: April 29, 2011, 10:19:12 AM »
Now that they officially said what we've known for a while, I can officially look forward to hearing Mangini on the new album.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2934 on: April 29, 2011, 10:19:23 AM »

Cheers,
Peter
Man, you're eating dinner... I haven't had lunch yet (mainly because I left it at home)  :P

But congrats Peter on the audition!! I'll have to check out the video when I get home from school.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #2935 on: April 29, 2011, 10:19:30 AM »
I initially thought the documentary might just open up second guessing by fans, but this was wonderfully done and I definitely think it was a great choice to do this.  Just being able to see the passion from Mangini makes me want him in Dream Theater and hope he's the last drummer they ever have.  Portnoy coming back probably would upset me at this point.

Maybe I won't like the music direction, which is the real judge for fans on new band members.  Even so, with the documentary I think they made their choice hard to complain about, and I wouldn't begrudge them for it.

Even without the landing the gig, I thought the auditions provided them all with nice exposure.  If any of them didn't actually come off that positively, it's lost in the scope of the whole documentary.  I'm definitely going to be checking out some music from a few of these guys I didn't know much about.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2936 on: April 29, 2011, 10:24:28 AM »

clinks63 strikes again.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2937 on: April 29, 2011, 10:26:08 AM »
Okay, so who's ready for the Friday forum theme?  :caffeine:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2938 on: April 29, 2011, 10:26:32 AM »
:friday:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #2939 on: April 29, 2011, 10:26:52 AM »

It is a Friday.

To me, that makes it seem like it should be even faster. I mean, there's nearly double the amount of people on from then. And it's a bigger announcement. It also seems people should be more likely to be free on a Friday than a Monday. I don't know. Maybe it's just me.