An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer

Started by Weymolith, April 18, 2011, 08:00:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zydar

Yes! My first pick got it!

But Peter was awesome too!

Infinite Cactus

Jirpo

Wow, I'm so happy its Mike Mangini. He was a great drummer and he seemed like the only one who REALLY wanted it. It will be great to have him in the band.

I couldn't help but smile when they announced it, and his reaction, and the guys all smiling. Beatiful moment.

Gadough

It's certainly a good day to be a Dream Theater fan.

Durg

Peter you really impressed me.  You have a new fan.

Perpetual Change

Bertielee

Wow. Welcome to DT, Mr Mangini! Dang, it was so emotional I almost cried.

B.Lee

ZBomber

Peter, your audition was great, and it's awesome that you made their top 3!  :) Congrats, that is quite an achievement!

T-ski

+1 to every adulation to Peter.  And congrats to Mike Mangini!

CrimsonSunrise

Quote from: Gadough on April 29, 2011, 08:24:52 AM
It's certainly a good day to be a Dream Theater fan.

+1 billion

I'm so excited for what's too come...  I think it's going to be spectacular!!  Mangini, after watching this whole thing play out, seems like the right choice.  Although... Peter and Marco were also incredible!!!!!!  Congrats too Mike!!!!!!!!  Lets fucking rock!!!!! :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

tri.ad

Yeah, I was really impressed by Peter as well. Great drummer, no doubt about it.

Also, I love MM's stunned laughter when he got the call. :lol

King Postwhore

Hell of a job Peter!!!   Thanks to this I look into your music catalog.  Thank you again!!
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'." - Bon Newhart.

KevShmev

OsMosis2259

Awesome job Peter and congrats to Mangini!

I was surprised when JP was saying "we didn't know anything about you" to Peter...
I love how Myung was smiling at Peter :)

JasonScandopolous

Quote from: Durg on April 29, 2011, 08:25:06 AM
Peter you really impressed me.  You have a new fan.

Yeah dude, this + just listening to static impulse this week for the first time (actually listened to two tracks on the way to work this morning) = impressed as well.  Did anyone from DT (or James only) talk about doing anything else with you in the future?

emindead

CONGRATULATIONS, MR. MIKE MANGINI!!!!

Minnemann, you were awesome as well!!!

Peter, you were amazing too. This documentary definitely will make me check all of the lot who auditioned. THANK YOU!!!

Metabog

JLB: We'd like to welcome you to the family.

Mangini: .................... Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

Bill Carson

Well done Mr Mangini !

But.......where was the phone call to Marco ? why no mention of what made them choose Mike over Marco.

I get the impression that they chose Marco but his failure to commit made them go with Mike.
Maybe not quite like that but I feel there is more to this which is why the rumours came out first that Marco had got the job.

John94

Peter: You were amazing. From what we saw, I totally didn't expect you to be THAT talented.

So happy for Mike. My pick from the start too. Really awesome to see him that emotionally attached to wanting the job. I can't wait for DT11 and to see him in the live shows.

Accelerando

I am so happy Mike got it! Although Peter had the best audition imo, Mike really fits what DT is about

Aniland

Mangini's reaction was cathartic and beautiful. It was just... words can't describe how happy I was and am for this person.

abydos

Now that this is out of the way - here's for another 6 months until we hear anything about/from the new album... :D

Infinite Cactus

KevShmev

Quote from: Bill Carson on April 29, 2011, 08:28:45 AM

But.......where was the phone call to Marco ? why no mention of what made them choose Mike over Marco.

Doing that would have taken the suspense away from the phone call where the reveal is made, and showing that after the news was revealed would have been going backwards.  

Gadough

Quote from: abydos on April 29, 2011, 08:31:30 AM
Now that this is out of the way - here's for another 6 months until we hear anything about/from the new album... :D

Don't rain on the parade. :hat

DarkLord_Lalinc

Marco Minnemann is and will forever be my favorite drummer, but really, I cried a little with this. I was not expecting this to be so emotional.

kartmaze2

So much awesome in this last episode!
Congrats to Mike Mangini! It is well deserved!
And to Peter: You blew me away! Your drumming was awesome! And to be in some sort of a "top 3" with all those other guys also auditioning, is quite a feat!  :tup

Quote from: OsMosis2259 on April 29, 2011, 08:27:42 AM
I love how Myung was smiling at Peter :)

Yeah, me too!  :biggrin:

On a side-note: compare Lang's and Priester's playing on the new riff. Quite different...

TheMadgician

When they called Mangini before Marco, I thought for sure that was the "you're not it, sorry" call.

hefdaddy42

Can't watch it until I get home from work, but congrats to Mike Mangini.

BTW Itchy fail.  Again.

chknptpie

Jirpo

Quote from: TheMadgician on April 29, 2011, 08:33:24 AM
When they called Mangini before Marco, I thought for sure that was the "you're not it, sorry" call.
Me too!

Gadough

Quote from: TheMadgician on April 29, 2011, 08:33:24 AM

Wait, why did they call Marco exactly? I can't watch the video yet because I'm at work. Please fill me in.

IdoSC

Peter was incredible, I'm glad the whole band is aware of his talent now, not just James :D

But either way, MIKE WAS CHOSENNNNN I'm so happy right now ^_^

nikatapi

I hope Mike Mangini puts all his emotion and happiness into creating amazing drum parts for the new record.
Peter, your audition was amazing and i am very glad you made it to the top 3 :metal