Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 664730 times)

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #1435 on: April 26, 2011, 09:51:07 AM »
From watching the preview of the next episode carefully (end of episode 1), I noticed an overwhelming response to Minnemanns performance.
Petrucci: "that was f*ing great"
James Labrie (to Petrucci): "that was the most incredible... by far" (I'ts hard to see which drummer this statement was meant for. Pausing right before it zooms into James (same shot/scene, one of the first few frames) Minnemann can be seen very clearly in his epic Cookie Monster shirt (lol@myepicnerdiness)).
Minnemann is such a boss. If it is him, my life is complete haha.

Offline JPX

« Reply #1436 on: April 26, 2011, 09:55:20 AM »
From watching the preview of the next episode carefully (end of episode 1), I noticed an overwhelming response to Minnemanns performance.
James Labrie (to Petrucci): "that was the most incredible... by far" (I'ts hard to see which drummer this statement was meant for. Pausing right before it zooms into James (same shot/scene, one of the first few frames) Minnemann can be seen very clearly in his epic Cookie Monster shirt (lol@myepicnerdiness)).

This was already determined yesterday.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1437 on: April 26, 2011, 09:55:53 AM »
itll be interesting to see why they didnt choose minnemann if his audition was that good. or minnemann is great at throwing everyone off

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1438 on: April 26, 2011, 09:57:36 AM »
Minnemann is indeed, a boss.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #1439 on: April 26, 2011, 09:58:01 AM »
Well, Wildoer says he's been a fan since PMU came out. The other guys either aren't fans or are "casual" fans.

donati was in a DT tribute band in australian years ago, so i wouldn't call him "casual" by any means. and nothing about mangini's tone says he's not a fan...or even remotely casual...

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #1440 on: April 26, 2011, 09:58:50 AM »
ahh k yeah I only discovered this video like 45 minutes ago so please forgive me.

Offline Stoneyman

« Reply #1441 on: April 26, 2011, 10:03:45 AM »
I wonder if they decided to keep some cameras rolling for the making of the new cd.

The doc + "the making of" = BALLS MARIE!

Offline JimmyJava

• Swear my skin is inside out
« Reply #1442 on: April 26, 2011, 10:39:10 AM »
I find it ironic that both of these statements were made after Mike Portnoy left the picture:

"Dream Theater is more than just one person"

"Avenged Sevenfold is more than just one person""

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #1443 on: April 26, 2011, 10:44:19 AM »
I find it ironic that both of these statements were made after Mike Portnoy left the picture:

Nuggets yet again! :D

Offline phentalmyst

« Reply #1444 on: April 26, 2011, 10:53:59 AM »

except mike didn't "leave" A7X. he was ousted.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1445 on: April 26, 2011, 10:56:49 AM »
That's not really relevant to the documentary discussion, so let's keep that on track.

But if you want to research the A7X discussions, Mike was supposed to tour with them on the first leg of the tour.  He completed that and was not asked to stay on for any additional assignments beyond what he had A7X had initially agreed to.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JimmyJava

• Swear my skin is inside out
« Reply #1446 on: April 26, 2011, 11:00:23 AM »
That's not really relevant to the documentary discussion, so let's keep that on track.
Yeah, I actually posted that in the wrong thread, sorry about that.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #1447 on: April 26, 2011, 11:10:47 AM »
Well, Wildoer says he's been a fan since PMU came out. The other guys either aren't fans or are "casual" fans.

donati was in a DT tribute band in australian years ago, so i wouldn't call him "casual" by any means. and nothing about mangini's tone says he's not a fan...or even remotely casual...
I actually agree, even if some of them are fans of DT (even bigger than Wildoer for that matter), it doesn't mean they have to post here. That's absolutely not the reason. I bet some of them never even heard of DTF.

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #1448 on: April 26, 2011, 11:23:04 AM »

and of course this could be editing...

Offline LTE3

« Reply #1449 on: April 26, 2011, 11:29:04 AM »
In wathcing Mike M he did seem to miss one of the fills slightly, but all in all seems like it could be a good fit. Watching him  made me realize how good Mike P is and how easy and casual he made the drumming look. Mike M was all out of breath, and really working his ass off although I'm sure a lot of that was just adrenaline.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #1450 on: April 26, 2011, 11:39:59 AM »
What James says to John is definitely not edited. I think they tried to edit out Minnemann, but there is still like 1 clear frame of him in the shot.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1451 on: April 26, 2011, 11:43:12 AM »
Yeah, that was definitely part of Minneman's audition.  I'm curious to know what part of the audition James was referring to with that comment.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #1452 on: April 26, 2011, 11:47:33 AM »
What James says to John is definitely not edited. I think they tried to edit out Minnemann, but there is still like 1 clear frame of him in the shot.

You can see him in the part right before, however you do not see him in the part where JLB walks over to JP.

EDIT: Also I never said what JLB says is edited lol. The Video scenes could be edited, that is all. The back to back scenes may have not happened in order.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 11:56:48 AM by theusualmadness »

Offline Setebos

« Reply #1453 on: April 26, 2011, 11:54:11 AM »
Is there any other source for the video than youtube?

Youtube won't let me see it ("Not available in my country")... :censored

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #1454 on: April 26, 2011, 11:55:58 AM »

You can see him in the part right before, however you do not see him in the part where JLB walks over to JP.
In that exact scene, right where it transitions from Petrucci saying "that was fantastic" to when James approaches John, try and pause it so you can see who is behind the kit...
its not easy to pause it exactly, but if you do it just right you can clearly see its Minnemann

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1455 on: April 26, 2011, 11:58:49 AM »
In wathcing Mike M he did seem to miss one of the fills slightly, but all in all seems like it could be a good fit. Watching him  made me realize how good Mike P is and how easy and casual he made the drumming look. Mike M was all out of breath, and really working his ass off although I'm sure a lot of that was just adrenaline.

I agree that MP is very good, in fact probably better than the elitist drumming community give him credit for. IMO he is very difficult to replace; he combines chops, power, creativity, showmanship, and metalness to an extent very few could imitate.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #1456 on: April 26, 2011, 11:59:49 AM »
The Minneman Facebook comment upsets me.

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #1457 on: April 26, 2011, 11:59:58 AM »

In that exact scene, right where it transitions from Petrucci saying "that was fantastic" to when James approaches John, try and pause it so you can see who is behind the kit...
its not easy to pause it exactly, but if you do it just right you can clearly see its Minnemann

and again right before JP says "that was fantastic" you can see Minnemann, but not on the same scene.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1458 on: April 26, 2011, 12:02:13 PM »

It shouldn't.

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #1459 on: April 26, 2011, 12:05:59 PM »

I do not know about clearly, but if you do it, you can kind of see blue, maybe the cookie monster shirt. So alright, possibly.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #1460 on: April 26, 2011, 12:07:42 PM »
I do not know about clearly, but if you do it, you can kind of see blue, maybe the cookie monster shirt. So alright, possibly.
yeah sorry when I said "clearly" I mean we can catch enough to ascertain that it is him (shirt, short hair etc.)

What did he say?

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #1461 on: April 26, 2011, 12:19:00 PM »
I think page 37 this thread someone posted it:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Marco...nn/60833133772

hi, no I'm not DTs drummer:-). But I did work with Jordan on the "musical mind meld", and we have plans for a trio project with John P and Jordan together. And I'm sorry I ended up being unwillingly dragged into these imo silly soap opera DT episodes, haha. I really didn't want that and wasn't asked for approval. Love to all of ya:-)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1462 on: April 26, 2011, 12:21:02 PM »
... made me realize how good Mike P is and how easy and casual he made the drumming look. Mike M was all out of breath, and really working his ass off although I'm sure a lot of that was just adrenaline.
That being said, and I am not trying to rip on MP with this statment, but Mike M appears (from what we were shown) to have played every note of those songs. MP in a live performance (I've only seen DT 5X) IMO plays about 97% of the songs to complete accuracy as they were recorded. Not ripping on him for that and what he does works well...but Mike M more than likely did not ad lib or veer from the recorded song and probably played every note.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1463 on: April 26, 2011, 12:22:57 PM »

hi, no I'm not DTs drummer:-). But I did work with Jordan on the "musical mind meld", and we have plans for a trio project with John P and Jordan together. And I'm sorry I ended up being unwillingly dragged into these imo silly soap opera DT episodes, haha. I really didn't want that and wasn't asked for approval. Love to all of ya:-)
Except that it was taken down, and we're not even sure whether that is his actual facebook page or just a fan posing as him. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Ricky, any progress with that?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline theusualmadness

« Reply #1464 on: April 26, 2011, 12:25:38 PM »

Except that it was taken down, and we're not even sure whether that is his actual facebook page or just a fan posing as him. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Ricky, any progress with that?

It is definitely not his personal or person page. It is a created "band/musician" page, not sure if it is his official either.

Offline Psy

« Reply #1465 on: April 26, 2011, 12:53:30 PM »
Is there any other source for the video than youtube?

Youtube won't let me see it ("Not available in my country")... :censored

Try downloading it through KeepVid using this URL.

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1466 on: April 26, 2011, 12:54:31 PM »
Charlie Dominici seems to think its Mangini too :P

Quote from: Charlie Dominici
Charlie Dominici > Dream Theater
All of the drummers are great and no disrespect to the others but knowing the guys in DT like I do, I believe Mike Mangini is the best choice! Plus my psychic ability tells me it's him! \m/

Offline thyer

« Reply #1467 on: April 26, 2011, 01:01:55 PM »
ah ah ah great Dominici "The Magician"...JR is The Wizar!!!  ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1468 on: April 26, 2011, 01:03:58 PM »
 I wonder if Dominici's psychic ability told him in advance that the band was gonna kick him to the curb two decades ago...

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1469 on: April 26, 2011, 01:04:31 PM »
Are those some posts he made on his forums in response to fans? If not, I wonder why he keeps posting those.