Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 665028 times)

Offline tumbok

Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #1400 on: April 26, 2011, 07:02:59 AM »
i have one question.

did Mangini really take the cab to the hotel?

or was it just scenario?

cause, we had a cameraman there. at least they should have a car to take Mangini to the hotel.

if Mr.Wildoer kind enough and have time to answer this.

Offline randymarsh

« Reply #1401 on: April 26, 2011, 07:17:32 AM »
i'm reading through Thomas Lang's tweets and found this

https://www.meinldrumfestival.com/

Meinl cymbals and percussion is proud to announce that the company's second international Meinl Drum Festival will take place at the Teatro Metropolitan in Mexico City on July 13, 2011

Norbert Saemann continues, "I'm currently working on putting the line up together. Meinl artists who have been invited include Ozzy Osbourne's Tommy Clufetos, Prince's drummer Chris Coleman, Derek Roddy, Thomas Lang and a few others. We will also invite some of our national Mexican endorsers of course."

in my list, Donati, Roddy and Lang are out.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1402 on: April 26, 2011, 07:19:12 AM »
but unless I'm reading that wrong, it's just saying that Roddy and Lang have been invited, not that they've committed to attend.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline returnity

« Reply #1403 on: April 26, 2011, 07:22:01 AM »
I think it's you, Wildoer. :)

it could be.  what if he's watching this thread (knowing that he got the gig through outdoing mangini & the 5 others) to see us flip out (in a good way) when he outperforms everybody else?  If I knew I got the gig, that would be really fun to do (on the other hand, it would be fun in any case).

[conspiracy theory mode=on]
I also think that it's possible that he got the seat. Judging by his activity on these boards of course. Why would he care for the fans if he didn't get it? It's also possible that he also got the fan relations duty of MP besides drumming, or just wants to create sympathy among fans, since he's mostly not as well known in the prog scene as he is in the extreme metal scene.
[conspiracy theory mode=off]

None of these words are against Wildoer  tho'. I think he's an extraordinary drummer AND composer who may infuse some of his creativity to the band. He was the first name that jumped on my mind when MP left and I sincerely hope that he will get the seat! Technically all of the auditionees may be at a similar level but none of them has Wildoer's compository talents, which may carry the band to a whole new level!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1404 on: April 26, 2011, 07:28:05 AM »
Uh, Wildoer started posted because it's now safe to for him to do so, now that the doc is out and it's known that he auditioned.

It may be him, it may not be.

Offline returnity

« Reply #1405 on: April 26, 2011, 07:42:14 AM »
Uh, Wildoer started posted because it's now safe to for him to do so, now that the doc is out and it's known that he auditioned.

Of course that's the way it is. But why does no one but him post here, in a board where he obviously wouldn't post otherwise? It's not a proof of his success of course, but this creates some suspicions...

Well, just wishful thinking on my part ;)

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #1406 on: April 26, 2011, 07:45:23 AM »
i'm reading through Thomas Lang's tweets and found this

https://www.meinldrumfestival.com/

Meinl cymbals and percussion is proud to announce that the company's second international Meinl Drum Festival will take place at the Teatro Metropolitan in Mexico City on July 13, 2011

Norbert Saemann continues, "I'm currently working on putting the line up together. Meinl artists who have been invited include Ozzy Osbourne's Tommy Clufetos, Prince's drummer Chris Coleman, Derek Roddy, Thomas Lang and a few others. We will also invite some of our national Mexican endorsers of course."

in my list, Donati, Roddy and Lang are out.

I'm pretty sure Roddy is out, whether he accepts this or not. On the drummerworld forum, he said that he "wasn't that big of a Dream Theater fan" and that it was clear he and the band kind of had different goals in mind when he was auditioning. If it's a bluff, that's a really strange way to bluff, because I don't think there's any way he makes comments in that vein unless he means it. Even as a cover-up, it'd be hellishly awkward to explain away later.

I wonder if stuff like that (that Roddy and DT didn't mesh particularly well) will actually come up in the documentary. My biggest wondering about Part 2 and 3 is if we're actually going to see why the DT guys DIDN'T pick the 6 guys they didn't pick.

After all, this ISN'T a reality show, even though it's (sort of) presented like one. The big difference is that the American Idol judges, when they reject someone, are pretty much 99.9% shutting the door on that person's career (with the other 0.1% being William Hung  :facepalm:). But DT, when they reject someone here, are rejecting people who are already established in the industry--people with enough stature that you have to be careful what you say about them.

I'd like to hear, in the final two sections, about not only what made the top guy get selected, but what made the other 6 NOT get selected. It'll be interesting to see how much of that we'll get, and how politically correct it stays, because DT don't really have the leverage to be openly criticizing drumming titans.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

« Reply #1407 on: April 26, 2011, 07:48:16 AM »

Of course that's the way it is. But why does no one but him post here, in a board where he obviously wouldn't post otherwise? It's not a proof of his success of course, but this creates some suspicions...

Probably for the same reason MP was always the DT member to reach out to the fans in years past--Wildoer probably just enjoys fan relations. He also has a closer connection to the band than everyone but Mangini, since only he and Mangini have actually worked with a DT member before.

Think about it, too--he says he wrote a journal of the whole endeavor. That means that from Day 1, before he had any idea how it would turn out, he was really interested in documenting the experience to communicate it later. It makes sense that he's following through on that now that he can finally come out and discuss the process.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

Offline Hal Incandenza

• AAAAAAAARGH!!!
« Reply #1408 on: April 26, 2011, 07:53:47 AM »
After all, this ISN'T a reality show, even though it's (sort of) presented like one. The big difference is that the American Idol judges, when they reject someone, are pretty much 99.9% shutting the door on that person's career (with the other 0.1% being William Hung  :facepalm:). But DT, when they reject someone here, are rejecting people who are already established in the industry--people with enough stature that you have to be careful what you say about them.

I'd like to hear, in the final two sections, about not only what made the top guy get selected, but what made the other 6 NOT get selected. It'll be interesting to see how much of that we'll get, and how politically correct it stays, because DT don't really have the leverage to be openly criticizing drumming titans.

I imagine we'll see a lot of politically correct "he's great, but it's obvious it's just not a good fit" and "there's no question he's awesome, but he doesn't mesh well with what the three of us are doing".

It'll be politically correct, but it'll also be true.  Nobody in these auditions is going to be rejected because they can't play, and I would expect they'll have 3-4 guys who they believe would be good fits.

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #1409 on: April 26, 2011, 07:55:29 AM »
Minnemann has worked with JR on the Mind Meld stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxEhQRfkCfI
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1410 on: April 26, 2011, 07:58:11 AM »

The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #1411 on: April 26, 2011, 08:01:40 AM »

I was replying to Prescence of Enemies post where he said none of the other drummers have worked with a DT member. So it wasn't obvious to him I guess.

So if that picture was aimed at me, there is yoiur reaon i posted it.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1412 on: April 26, 2011, 08:04:35 AM »
Oh, haha, I'm sorry. I just read the post above you, not the one above that. Scuzi!
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #1413 on: April 26, 2011, 08:05:53 AM »
Oh, haha, I'm sorry. I just read the post above you, not the one above that. Scuzi!

No problem :)
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

« Reply #1414 on: April 26, 2011, 08:12:02 AM »

I was replying to Prescence of Enemies post where he said none of the other drummers have worked with a DT member. So it wasn't obvious to him I guess.

Yeah, I'm aware of MMM. Don't really consider it a full-fledged "project", though, since it was just a one-off thing. But, point taken.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1415 on: April 26, 2011, 08:12:34 AM »
...unless the new drummer have perfect pitch

???  What?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #1416 on: April 26, 2011, 08:13:19 AM »

Yeah, I'm aware of MMM. Don't really consider it a full-fledged "project", though, since it was just a one-off thing. But, point taken.
Gotcha. I wasn't rtying to be a dick ;D
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1417 on: April 26, 2011, 08:14:49 AM »
...unless the new drummer have perfect pitch

???  What?

he have perfect pitch.

is true.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

« Reply #1418 on: April 26, 2011, 08:15:03 AM »

I imagine we'll see a lot of politically correct "he's great, but it's obvious it's just not a good fit" and "there's no question he's awesome, but he doesn't mesh well with what the three of us are doing".

It'll be politically correct, but it'll also be true.  Nobody in these auditions is going to be rejected because they can't play, and I would expect they'll have 3-4 guys who they believe would be good fits.

Definitely. Although I wonder if there were one or two guys who just flatout didn't get or didn't like something. I know Roddy said the odd-time jam was strange for him. Imagine if he either a) screwed it up or b) flatout told the guys "Meh, I don't really like this sort of thing." Would they include that on the doc? It would sure as hell be important as far as the decision goes, but it'd really make the drummer look like the bad guy compared to the majority who went along with it/did well.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1419 on: April 26, 2011, 08:22:09 AM »
When the news becomes official, I hope that one of the very first questions answered by the new drummer is: "How much input did you have in the writing of the drum parts?" Hopefully they will join this forum as Mr. Wildoer did so that we have a chance to ask these questions.

I REALLY hope that Mangini is the one.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1420 on: April 26, 2011, 08:24:17 AM »
When the news becomes official, I hope that one of the very first questions answered by the new drummer is: "How much input did you have in the writing of the drum parts?" Hopefully they will join this forum as Mr. Wildoer did so that we have a chance to ask these questions.

A DTF exclusive Q&A would be sweet.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1421 on: April 26, 2011, 08:25:05 AM »

Feeling a little important today, aren't we?  :coolio
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

« Reply #1422 on: April 26, 2011, 08:27:15 AM »

:metal  :metal  :metal  :metal  :metal  :metal

Offline JPX

« Reply #1423 on: April 26, 2011, 08:36:57 AM »

The chosen candidate is going to be extremely overwhelmed after the announcement. I'm sure DT/RR will put together an appropriate Q&A with them. For all we know, Over the Edge might have also filmed a sequence with the whole band prior to going into the studio.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1424 on: April 26, 2011, 08:37:21 AM »
DT will not portray any of the candidates in a negative light. Not in the slightest.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1425 on: April 26, 2011, 08:39:29 AM »

The chosen candidate is going to be extremely overwhelmed after the announcement. I'm sure DT/RR will put together an appropriate Q&A with them. For all we know, Over the Edge might have also filmed a sequence with the whole band prior to going into the studio.

That would be great. Something like "now, it's time for them to write the new album".

And the timing for that would be perfect, considering JLB is halfway done (I'd say) recording the new songs.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

« Reply #1426 on: April 26, 2011, 08:54:47 AM »
JLB is halfway done (I'd say) recording the new songs.

This just made me think--if JLB updates us on his song-by-song progress, we should know how many songs are on the album before we get an actual tracklist. Right?

Heck, we already know there are at least 4, so we know they're not going to push the epic lengths here any further than BCSL did.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1427 on: April 26, 2011, 09:01:12 AM »

This just made me think--if JLB updates us on his song-by-song progress, we should know how many songs are on the album before we get an actual tracklist. Right?

Heck, we already know there are at least 4, so we know they're not going to push the epic lengths here any further than BCSL did.

I can't find any holes in your logic, unless JLB starts being deliberately misleading and tweets: "Finished 9 songs today! Raaawwwkkk!"

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1428 on: April 26, 2011, 09:03:05 AM »
;-))))
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

« Reply #1429 on: April 26, 2011, 09:10:33 AM »

I can't find any holes in your logic, unless JLB starts being deliberately misleading and tweets: "Finished 9 songs today! Raaawwwkkk!"

Ahh shit, now I'm giving him ideas, particularly since Wildoer's browsing here...Damn, me and my logic!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1430 on: April 26, 2011, 09:14:02 AM »

Hey, you never know.  It could be a 4-disk album.  ;)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

« Reply #1431 on: April 26, 2011, 09:18:16 AM »

Hey, you never know.  It could be a 4-disk album.  ;)
:rollin :metal :rollin

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #1432 on: April 26, 2011, 09:34:15 AM »

I believe he's the only one who comments here because he's...well...the only one who wants to. Some of these drummers might not like direct interactions with fans or any kind of forums at all, I guess Peter just likes it. He's an awesome guy and one of my two favorites (in a tie) out of these seven drummers, but unfortunately I believe he has the same odds as all the other drummers, despite the fact he posts here.

I really hope he'll be chosen though. Either him or Mangini. But, well, I guess we'll know it by Friday.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1433 on: April 26, 2011, 09:45:53 AM »

Hey, you never know.  It could be a 4-disk album.  ;)

;-))))
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1434 on: April 26, 2011, 09:49:34 AM »

I believe he's the only one who comments here because he's...well...the only one who wants to. Some of these drummers might not like direct interactions with fans or any kind of forums at all, I guess Peter just likes it. He's an awesome guy and one of my two favorites (in a tie) out of these seven drummers, but unfortunately I believe he has the same odds as all the other drummers, despite the fact he posts here.

I really hope he'll be chosen though. Either him or Mangini. But, well, I guess we'll know it by Friday.

Well, Wildoer says he's been a fan since PMU came out. The other guys either aren't fans or are "casual" fans.