Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 664686 times)

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #1365 on: April 26, 2011, 01:04:36 AM »
Mangini:
"- Hello, my Q3. I brought you to New York with me  :D. This relationship is getting deep, uuu. " :lol

I love this guy....  :D

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1366 on: April 26, 2011, 01:07:42 AM »
Wildoer's lurking guys  :biggrin:

I do have a serious question for him, though. Is this footage new to you audiotionees too? Had you guys seen it before, OR is a lot of this footage new to you all too?

Offline Aniland

« Reply #1367 on: April 26, 2011, 01:36:20 AM »
I think it's you, Wildoer. :)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1368 on: April 26, 2011, 01:48:18 AM »

I think its you, Aniland.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1369 on: April 26, 2011, 02:12:53 AM »
I liked Mangini's footage if only because the very first shot they showed from Boston was from the top of one of the top parking garages next to my old college. Most of my old dorms were in that shot.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1370 on: April 26, 2011, 02:21:40 AM »
@Realpasta: Disagree. With bits.

Really, your attacking the editing. How exactly would you have liked it to be edited? Maybe you didn't like the font they used either?

Since you asked a question, I'll answer it.

Many of the individual editing choices end up reducing the audience's ability to understand the facts of the situations and feel the emotions of the narrative.  Because we cut between locations so rapidly, we need to see an establishing shot of each location to understand where we are.  Because of this, we lose valuable time that could be spent providing information and telling the story.
I'd agree with this if it weren't for the fact that, if memory serves, many of the establishing shots feature VOs from the contributors. They establish the new location without interrupting the narrative. And, in truth, the location is a big part of the narrative. I really liked, for instance - and I don't think these shots had VOs - seeing Mangini hailing the taxis, and Roddy (was it Roddy?) at the airport. They're only brief snifters of footage offered, but they help show us the process from the auditionee's perspective, which I find quite exciting and refreshing. A little footage going a long way.

We've had a lot of documentaries set entirely in the studio, and they're all well and good but you don't get a sense of movement. I like the peripatetic form where you see the process unfold in its entirity, rather than just from DT's POV, and that requires establishers.

A major aspect of reality TV is telling the audience about what's happening rather than showing it.  In the context of reality TV, this is a good thing.  You're trying to take complex events and create a narrative that gives them meaning in a larger context.  If we just see the Jersey Shore cast partying in a club, the camerawork isn't sophisticated to let us see the little pieces of body language that really tell us what's going on.  We need the confessional cuts to keep us up to date.

But the narrative of this documentary is incredibly simple, and because the situations aren't so chaotic they can be filmed in a way we see their subtleties.  Again, the biggest thing I hated was when ANTR started.  Just as someone seeing this for the first time, I got mild chills.  Instead of playing Mangini talking to tell us what we already know, cut to the other band members and their anticipation to make us feel it more.
I think it's more a matter of trying to squeeze seven drummers into sixty minutes. We already know the band's POV, and if there were new elements then they've got plenty of time to cut them in across the length and breadth of the documentary. Mangini footage, meanwhile, has an eight-minute window. And that has to intercut with footage of the auditions, naturally. There's a section after his audition where they all talk with him, which kind of emphasises the point that they need to know him as a person, get along with him as a human being. The viewer, in theory, already knows Dream Theater. More crucial that they show Mangini footage.

The biggest problem though is aesthetic.  Dream Theater is a relatively sophisticated band for a relatively sophisticated audience.  Why did whoever was is charge of this creatively feel the need to dumb down the events into a reality TV format?  I feel like the image of the band is cheapened a little bit by the narrative construction.  When Petrucci is talking about Portnoy leaving, we see three cuts to Rudess of him making dramatic faces.  In the actuality of the moment, he was reliving something emotional through Petrucci's story.  But simply to us watching it, the way it's cut it implies "LOOK AT JORDAN FEELING EMOTION.  NOW LOOK AT IT AGAIN.  IT'S DRAMA!"  Drama doesn't come from us being told it's dramatic, it comes from being dramatic.
I think, more probably, the reason it's cut like that is conciseness.

Make cuts in a video interview with John Petrucci and he'll appear to leap from corner to corner of the screen. Make cuts in a video interview with John Petrucci while the screen shows footage of something else somewhere else of similar narrative emotion and thrust, and you're square.

If you like it, that's fine.  There's no objective reason for you to like or dislike it.  But the editing objectively influences the tone and subtext of the narrative quite a bit, and I don't like the result.  The nuances are few and far between.  And it feels like a lower standard of product than what I'd expect from the band.  Obviously since the documentary brings a lot to the table, it's free, and I appreciate its mere existence I'm going to keep watching.
Aye! Absolutely likewise. Well, swivel a few words here and there but I'm not telling anyone to like or dislike it.

Heck, I've got criticisms. I think the use of music was pretty clumsy. The Best of Times was not needed over that shot of Mangini gazing out his window, for instance. A little too maudlin and sentimental, it felt insincere. Plus, there was way too much of it. Of course, megamillions of different footage sources, might've been needed to mask the changes in background noise, but I didn't like it.

So yes. Just offering my two cents, but I think a lot of the editing decisions were not only justifiable, they were justified.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #1371 on: April 26, 2011, 03:52:08 AM »
Now I have to follow that long and intelligent post by saying that I don't think Peter is lurking in this thread all the time. His name has been there every hour of night and day since he first posted. He mentioned he was posting from his phone, I think he's just left the browser with this thread open running in the background so it is easier for him to navigate to it again.

I might be wrong though. Hi Peter! :3

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1372 on: April 26, 2011, 04:00:40 AM »
Just saw the video, it was not in a lame reality show format as some thought it would, it was actually really well done and I've enjoyed it so much.
Never really saw Mangini play before, great vibe on that guy! I hope he really ends up being the one.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Bill Carson

« Reply #1373 on: April 26, 2011, 04:27:41 AM »
I really do like this documentary and the excitement for the next instalment is massive but in true DT fan style...... I do have one issue lol !
It's the timing of it, because the truth is we already know who they have chosen and that takes away from some of the excitement.
Not just the Eddie Trunk rumours but you only have to look at all the drummers touring schedule to work out that's its Mike Mangini.
You can't help but wonder, could they have done something to prevent this. To be fair they've done amazing to keep it a secret the length of time they did but the longer they left it, well it was inevitable.

It just would have been so exciting watching this and genuinely not knowing who they had picked.

BTW.....just from the first instalment I think Mangini is a great choice. Technically he's amazing, looks the part, has the personality........and that's what I always thought it would come down to in the end, personality !

Offline randymarsh

« Reply #1374 on: April 26, 2011, 04:38:02 AM »
Just a thought. Whoever the chosen drummer is, he should be practising DT materials for the coming gig and new album. By looking at the calendar of the seven candidates, there's some hint who's DT next drummer  :)

https://www.virgildonati.com/tourdates.php

https://www.thomaslangdrumcamp.com/www.thomaslangdrumcamp.com/watch_videos_of_past_recent_camps.html

https://www.aquilespriester.com/ingt/agenda.html

https://www.mikemangini.com/news.htm

https://marcominnemann.com/dates_currentschedule/

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1375 on: April 26, 2011, 05:06:02 AM »
Well MM site is under construction and any dates that I've noticed are from 2010...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1376 on: April 26, 2011, 05:40:51 AM »
JP tells MM that he passed all THREE tests, the song test, the jam test... What was the third test?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1377 on: April 26, 2011, 05:41:40 AM »
Push ups of course.

Offline randymarsh

« Reply #1378 on: April 26, 2011, 05:42:10 AM »
JP tells MM that he passed all THREE tests, the song test, the jam test... What was the third test?
personality?  :justjen

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1379 on: April 26, 2011, 05:43:12 AM »
Drug test? ;D

"Alright, pee in this cup to complete the audition".
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline randymarsh

« Reply #1380 on: April 26, 2011, 05:45:29 AM »
"make john myung speak" test?  :D

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1381 on: April 26, 2011, 05:50:47 AM »
For eff's sake, the three tests are:

1. The song test
2. The free form jam test
3. The "we're going to give you some new riffs and see what you come up with on the spot" test.

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #1382 on: April 26, 2011, 05:54:55 AM »
Aren't 2 and 3 the same? I'm confused  :)

Offline Raziel666

• Infinite Moonloops
« Reply #1383 on: April 26, 2011, 06:04:07 AM »
Just a thought. Whoever the chosen drummer is, he should be practising DT materials for the coming gig and new album. By looking at the calendar of the seven candidates, there's some hint who's DT next drummer  :)

https://www.thomaslangdrumcamp.com/www.thomaslangdrumcamp.com/watch_videos_of_past_recent_camps.html

I couldn't see any hint there. Care to share this hint with us? :)

Offline LTE3

« Reply #1384 on: April 26, 2011, 06:13:01 AM »
I am very impressed with Derek Roddy after researching him a little. i think he could bring that something special to the band, can't wait to see his audition. My guees is that whomever is last is the pick, although maybe that is too obvious. Either way I think this whole process is exciting. With the Eddie Trunk slip, and Mangini going first I feel like it is not him. During the improve section I thought his little drum beat was boring, but who know's how they edited the thing.
When I got home from work yesterday, I told my wife not to bother me as I had a video to watch, and let her know the rest of the week it will be the same.
Scheming demons dressed in kingly guise, beating down the multitude and scoffing at the wise.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1385 on: April 26, 2011, 06:18:36 AM »
BTW Wildoer isn't checking this thread anymore.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1386 on: April 26, 2011, 06:20:53 AM »
BTW Wildoer isn't checking this thread anymore.

Maybe his phone battery died.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #1387 on: April 26, 2011, 06:22:27 AM »
My guees is that whomever is last is the pick, although maybe that is too obvious.
I believe they're showing them chronologically, by the order they were auditioned. That would be a fluke if the last one to audition was the one chosen.

Offline Jalis

• ... I play bass... 4-string bass...
« Reply #1388 on: April 26, 2011, 06:24:33 AM »

I couldn't see any hint there. Care to share this hint with us? :)

Me neither ... we need to be enlightend...
I almost play like JMX

Offline randymarsh

« Reply #1389 on: April 26, 2011, 06:30:48 AM »

Me neither ... we need to be enlightend...

by process of elimination

virgil donati gig - July 9th, 2011 - Alva's - San Pedro, CA
dream theater - Sat   Jul 09, 2011    Loreley, Germany    Night of the Prog Festival

i can safely conclude that virgil donati is out.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #1390 on: April 26, 2011, 06:35:14 AM »
Well, it is possible to move one of those gigs (especially the donati solo one) after it is made public that Virgil is the one.
I can see that happen.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1391 on: April 26, 2011, 06:37:11 AM »
Yeah, all 7 drummers have no dates for july and august in most...all we can do is predict ;)and wait :)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1392 on: April 26, 2011, 06:38:15 AM »
When I got home from work yesterday, I told my wife not to bother me as I had a video to watch, and let her know the rest of the week it will be the same.

Nice brooooo!!!  :hat
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline JasonScandopolous

« Reply #1393 on: April 26, 2011, 06:40:41 AM »
P.S. Except for the forever-stoic John Myung. :P

At least he spoke :P

Look at the parts where he speaks... does anyone else get the feeling that he might have been reading off of cue cards?  Or, that the producers may have said "geez, we've got 20 hours of footage and myung hasn't said anything, let's kinda give him a hint and sort of force him to give us soemthing"?  haha hopefully not.

Offline randymarsh

« Reply #1394 on: April 26, 2011, 06:42:30 AM »
yeah anything is possible. i think let's just wait till friday for the official announcement. but what i'm saying is that the new drummer would have been practising/memorizing songs from at least four albums back and that will take time (unless the new drummer have perfect pitch and photographic memory)

Offline The Silent Cody

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1395 on: April 26, 2011, 06:44:12 AM »
(...) i think let's just wait till friday for the official announcement.(...)
Hope those words will not come into dust ;)

Offline JasonScandopolous

« Reply #1396 on: April 26, 2011, 06:44:31 AM »

it could be.  what if he's watching this thread (knowing that he got the gig through outdoing mangini & the 5 others) to see us flip out (in a good way) when he outperforms everybody else?  If I knew I got the gig, that would be really fun to do (on the other hand, it would be fun in any case).

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1397 on: April 26, 2011, 06:48:57 AM »
Well, it is possible to move one of those gigs (especially the donati solo one) after it is made public that Virgil is the one.
I can see that happen.

No..... no.......

Virgil Donati is an actual professional musician.  He wouldn't schedule a gig knowing he would cancel it to keep up a facade.  In a business where honesty and reliability really matter, I have a hard time believing he would ever compromise that for no good reason.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #1398 on: April 26, 2011, 06:53:58 AM »
P.S. Except for the forever-stoic John Myung. :P

At least he spoke :P

Look at the parts where he speaks... does anyone else get the feeling that he might have been reading off of cue cards?  Or, that the producers may have said "geez, we've got 20 hours of footage and myung hasn't said anything, let's kinda give him a hint and sort of force him to give us soemthing"?  haha hopefully not.

Well, the face he makes at 11:00, when he says "power," is now my new desktop background. So there's that.  :rollin

I'd upload it here, but I don't know how to use the image tag thing, haha.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline randymarsh

« Reply #1399 on: April 26, 2011, 06:55:04 AM »
mike mangini might be lurking here as well. i found out about the first episode on youtube when he "liked" it, a few minutes before JR gave the link on twitter.