Poll

48÷2(9+3)=

46 (44.7%)
45 (43.7%)
No definitive "correct answer"
12 (11.7%)

Total Members Voted: 100

Author Topic: 48÷2(9+3) =  (Read 42063 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: 48÷2(9+3) =
« Reply #245 on: April 18, 2011, 10:53:31 PM »
I see the 2(9+3) as one term, so the implied multiplication does in effect take precedence.
So they'd be separate terms if I made it "2*(9+3)"?

And this seems like a circular argument. Why is it one term? Because implied multiplication takes precedence. Why does implied multiplication take precedence? Because I see it as one term.

If it said 48÷2x = ?  would you divide by 2, then multiply by x?  No, you would find 2x and divide by the result.  Why is 48÷2(9+3) any different?

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #246 on: April 18, 2011, 10:55:03 PM »
288 all up in this bitch.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #247 on: April 18, 2011, 11:07:57 PM »

If it said 48÷2x = ?  would you divide by 2, then multiply by x?  No, you would find 2x and divide by the result.  Why is 48÷2(9+3) any different?

I would ask you to clarify, because the equation is too amboguous.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #248 on: April 18, 2011, 11:09:29 PM »
I see the 2(9+3) as one term, so the implied multiplication does in effect take precedence.
So they'd be separate terms if I made it "2*(9+3)"?

And this seems like a circular argument. Why is it one term? Because implied multiplication takes precedence. Why does implied multiplication take precedence? Because I see it as one term.

What about 48÷2(9+3)(5+3)(2+8) ?
Do you just assume everything after the ÷ sign to be in the denominator? That's a pretty arbitrary decision given multiplication and division are of equal rank.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #249 on: April 18, 2011, 11:12:35 PM »
Yeah, I would.  I always presumed that implied multiplication gave it some kind of precedence.  But it's not in the formal rules, so I guess not.

But I noticed that no one has answered my 48÷2x question, and it's techinically the same thing.  All you're saying is 48÷2abc.  I would still find 2abc and divide it into 48.  I guess it's because there's no actual multiplication sign in the expression.  It seems like you'd simplify it first.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #250 on: April 18, 2011, 11:15:24 PM »
Re: the 0.999... snafu:

Asking whether or not 0.999... = 1 is the same as asking whether 1/∞ = 0.

1 - 0.999... = 0.000...1

Pretty sure you can't do that.

Of course you can, it just reduces the argument. The 0.000...1 either represents an infinitely small number or zero, which is exactly what we are trying to determine. People who argue that 0.999... is not equal to 1 imply that 0.000...1 is in fact a number of measurable substance greater than zero, while those who argue that 0.999... is equal to 1 imply that 0.000...1 is zero. I do not agree that a number approaching a number, even to the point of being infinitely similar, can ever be equal to the number.

0.000...1 is not a correct number in any notation. You can't put a "1" at the end of an INFINITE string of zeros. That's the whole reason 0.999... is equal to 1, because there is no number inbetween and no difference between them.

1 - 0.999... = 0.000... = 0

Offline Ħ

« Reply #251 on: April 18, 2011, 11:46:13 PM »
Why is the wrong answer winning.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #252 on: April 18, 2011, 11:51:06 PM »
Why do people still say there is a right answer?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #253 on: April 18, 2011, 11:55:42 PM »
multiplication and division are of equal rank
/thread
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #254 on: April 19, 2011, 12:16:27 AM »
P
E
M
D
A
S

2 is the right answer.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #255 on: April 19, 2011, 12:18:36 AM »
P
E
M
D
A
S

2 is the right answer.
You are misinterpreting PEMDAS.

P
E
MD (in order of left to right)
AS (in order of left to right)

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #256 on: April 19, 2011, 12:20:03 AM »
I love how people are choosing 2, and then giving PEMDAS as the reason.  It's PEMDAS that shows that 288 is the correct answer.  It's only when you take into account implied multiplication that the answer comes out as 2.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #257 on: April 19, 2011, 12:22:38 AM »
I love how people are choosing 2, and then giving PEMDAS as the reason.  It's PEMDAS that shows that 288 is the correct answer.  It's only when you take into account implied multiplication that the answer comes out as 2.

Offline The Degenerate

• The Knight of Noir
« Reply #258 on: April 19, 2011, 01:08:22 AM »
P
E
M
D
A
S

2 is the right answer.
You are misinterpreting PEMDAS.

P
E
MD (in order of left to right)
AS (in order of left to right)

THIS. The only people saying 2 are those that mistakingly believe that multiplication takes priority over division in all equations, which is incorrect.
"Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armour yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you." ~ Tyrion Lannister

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • það besta sem guð hefur skapað er nýr dagur
« Reply #259 on: April 19, 2011, 01:22:10 AM »

1 - 0.999... = 0.000...1
No. Please go learn some more math so you know what you are talking about.
Also, 1/∞ = 0. Not infinitesimal, not undefined, it's 0.

Why do people still say there is a right answer?

rumborak
Because there is... Regardless of whether you think it is bad syntax or not, the right answer is 288.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 04:00:39 AM by kári »

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline jsem

« Reply #260 on: April 19, 2011, 02:34:17 AM »
How long does this have to go on? Lol.

Move to P/R? :neverusethis:

Offline ScioPath

• the king of dance
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #261 on: April 19, 2011, 04:51:25 AM »

1 - 0.999... = 0.000...1
Also, 1/∞ = 0. Not infinitesimal, not undefined, it's 0

"Learn math or gtfo." :clap: brilliant constructive answer. Kari, I think you misunderstand that what I posted is entirely hypothetical. What people are implying when they say 1 is not equal to 0.999... is that there is an infinitessimal difference between it and 1. I just took the problem and rephrased it to better state the problem at hand. Why am I getting so much "derp, you can't do that," crap?

Also, I am a bit confused, are you saying the infinitesimal doesn't exist? If an infinitely large number exists, why doesn't an infinitely small number exist, and why can't they be multiplied to be 1?

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #262 on: April 19, 2011, 05:33:18 AM »
The notation you used implied an infinite number of zeros with a one on the end, which is nonsensical, as an infinite sequence can not have an end number.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #263 on: April 19, 2011, 06:36:56 AM »

1 - 0.999... = 0.000...1
Also, 1/∞ = 0. Not infinitesimal, not undefined, it's 0

"Learn math or gtfo." :clap: brilliant constructive answer. Kari, I think you misunderstand that what I posted is entirely hypothetical. What people are implying when they say 1 is not equal to 0.999... is that there is an infinitessimal difference between it and 1. I just took the problem and rephrased it to better state the problem at hand. Why am I getting so much "derp, you can't do that," crap?

Also, I am a bit confused, are you saying the infinitesimal doesn't exist? If an infinitely large number exists, why doesn't an infinitely small number exist, and why can't they be multiplied to be 1?
That wasn't what I was saying, I was trying to say that what you wrote is entirely incorrect. You're confusing the set of real numbers with some extension of it that includes infinitesimal numbers. But that was never the point. The point is that in the set of real numbers, 0.99.. = 1.

Also in the set of real numbers, 1/∞ = 0. Infinitesimal numbers "exist", but not in the set real numbers. ∞ is also not an element of the set of real numbers, that's why, when working with it, certain operations have been exactly defined. 1/∞ = 0 because lim(x->∞)(1/x) = 0.

Also, writing the infinitesimal difference between 1/∞ and 0 in that extended set of the reals as 0.00...1 makes no sense as well. There is no 1 at the end, since there is no end. There's no way to write an infinitesimal number like you would write another real number. Just like you can't write infinity, which is why the symbol ∞ was introduced. What you mean when you say that 1/∞ is infinitesimal is that 1/∞ is as close as you can get to 0, without writing 0. It has no meaning however.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #264 on: April 19, 2011, 06:38:16 AM »
The notation you used implied an infinite number of zeros with a one on the end, which is nonsensical, as an infinite sequence can not have an end number.
That's the exact point of the debate, though, surely? Whether there's a difference between something that's infinitesimally small, and something that doesn't exist.

I'd say the difference between the two is nil, and I'd therefore say that nought point nine-with-a-dot-above-it is equal to 1. I agree with you.  But it's not a foregone conclusion, I don't think. I wouldn't tell anyone who disagrees with me to learn more maths. Poss to reconsider, but I get where ScioPath was coming from. The point of the ... isn't saying that the series ends, rather to demonstrate that the eventual "...01" is always, always a step further away.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #265 on: April 19, 2011, 07:36:18 AM »
The only people saying 2 are those that mistakingly believe that multiplication takes priority over division in all equations, which is incorrect.

No.  There are some who were taught that implied multiplication pre-empts normal left-to-right precedence and have yet to hear any counterargument.  It is not the same issue as order of operations.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #266 on: April 19, 2011, 07:38:22 AM »
That's the exact point of the debate, though, surely? Whether there's a difference between something that's infinitesimally small, and something that doesn't exist.

I'd say the difference between the two is nil, and I'd therefore say that nought point nine-with-a-dot-above-it is equal to 1. I agree with you.  But it's not a foregone conclusion, I don't think. I wouldn't tell anyone who disagrees with me to learn more maths. Poss to reconsider, but I get where ScioPath was coming from. The point of the ... isn't saying that the series ends, rather to demonstrate that the eventual "...01" is always, always a step further away.
I wasn't trying to be rude or so, I was just trying to say that in order to really know what you are talking about you have to know some stuff about certain branches of math. If you don't, you don't really have much ground to stand on. This is not like the original topic of this thread where anyone can participate as the problem is mundane.

It would be like you or me joining some quantum physicists in a discussion about quantum entanglement and go "Hey, why are you debating this? It can't be possible for something to have an effect on something else without anything in between knowing about it". Or astrophysicists discussion black hole radiation and saying "Black holes can't emit stuff, nothing can escape them, not even light."

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #267 on: April 19, 2011, 08:27:22 AM »
No.  There are some who were taught that implied multiplication pre-empts normal left-to-right precedence and have yet to hear any counterargument.  It is not the same issue as order of operations.

^Turns out this may be true: https://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/54341.html

Although the most common way is to do it the way to get 288, not 2. I still stick with 288, but I am more with rumby that it's just bad syntax, and I agree with the above article that parentheses are definitely a plus to make sure there is no ambiguity. Parentheses are an expression's best friend, and they can be yours, too.

I was taught left to right and not the implied multiplication (never heard of IM until this thread).

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #268 on: April 19, 2011, 08:37:04 AM »
Same here James. Either way, it's not a standard form, nor should it be. Parentheses should be used.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #269 on: April 19, 2011, 10:56:38 AM »
(never heard of IM until this thread)

Me neither, at least not as a formalized term.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #270 on: April 19, 2011, 01:01:59 PM »
Day 3, and the battle still rages. :rollin

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #271 on: April 19, 2011, 01:16:14 PM »
Awesome, isn't it?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #272 on: April 19, 2011, 01:23:13 PM »
It's especially entertaining to me because I am worthless at math.  It would be like you guys watching me and ten other chefs arguing whether sous vide or slow roasting garners a better duck breast.

Offline jsem

« Reply #273 on: April 19, 2011, 02:03:30 PM »
It's especially entertaining to me because I am worthless at math.  It would be like you guys watching me and ten other chefs arguing whether sous vide or slow roasting garners a better duck breast.
I don't even know what you're talking about...

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #274 on: April 19, 2011, 02:34:00 PM »
I don't even know what you're talking about...
My point exactly.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #275 on: April 19, 2011, 03:27:13 PM »
Did someone say "breast"?

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #276 on: April 19, 2011, 03:54:39 PM »
Saying "breast" in a thread about math is like giving a 12-year-old boy a copy of Maxim after a dog has torn it up. Such a tease and that's all we are getting.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #277 on: April 19, 2011, 04:16:05 PM »

I'd say the difference between the two is nil, and I'd therefore say that nought point nine-with-a-dot-above-it is equal to 1. I agree with you.  But it's not a foregone conclusion, I don't think. I wouldn't tell anyone who disagrees with me to learn more maths. Poss to reconsider, but I get where ScioPath was coming from. The point of the ... isn't saying that the series ends, rather to demonstrate that the eventual "...01" is always, always a step further away.

As a conceptual argument that makes sense but he used the notion in a mathematical proof, which simply doesn't work.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Ħ

« Reply #278 on: April 19, 2011, 05:19:09 PM »
Implied multiplication is a lie.

Honestly, division signs and /'s are just amateur.  Real mathematicians use horizontal lines to indicate division.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #279 on: April 19, 2011, 05:24:06 PM »
Actually I think real mathematicians use whatever symbol their computer code uses, therefore allowing them to bugger off whilst it runs to drink some more coffee.