Author Topic: Lord of the Rings  (Read 26359 times)

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Lord of the Rings
« Reply #210 on: September 20, 2022, 04:52:31 AM »
Man the visuals are just stunning both Moria and Númenor looks incredible. Overall I enjoyed every episode altough it took sometime to get into the world and the characters.

I will say though that hearing the Haarfots and dwarfs speak irish feels so watered down, i'm not a Tolkien expert so I can't say if it's in the lore or if there's a reason for it but i'm just saying it's kinda generic especially hearing dwarfs speak it.

Having said that I just thought to myself would it be weird hearing them speak a diffrent accent and the answer would probably yes so yea...  :laugh:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 05:20:33 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #211 on: September 20, 2022, 05:01:20 AM »
I agree that the show seems to be aimless. It should be able to please everyone - give a coherent story for casual fans, and a sense of purpouse for those who know the lore.

For example, in the Moria scenes, you see discussions about Mithril (cool easter egg) and the dwarves digging the mines - the seeds are planted for them to eventually run into the Balrog. I'd like to see more hints and a general sense of direction to let me think "ok, just forget about the minor discrepancies and enjoy the ride, you know where this is going".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #212 on: September 20, 2022, 06:19:13 AM »
I will say though that hearing the Haarfots and dwarfs speak irish feels so watered down, i'm not a Tolkien expert so I can't say if it's in the lore or if there's a reason for it but i'm just saying it's kinda generic especially hearing dwarfs speak it.

Having said that I just thought to myself would it be weird hearing them speak a diffrent accent and the answer would probably yes so yea...  :laugh:
The dwarves have Scottish accents, as they did in the Peter Jackson films (same as the elves having posh English accents, the orcs being cockney and the humans having a range of different regional English accents).

In the films, the hobbits have west country (Bristol, Gloucestershire, etc) English accents. I guess for the harfoots, being their ancestors, they could have simply gone with the same, but I imagine they wanted to make them sufficiently distinct while still retaining a similar rural community vibe, hence the Irish accents.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #213 on: September 20, 2022, 06:59:48 AM »
If the episodes were 35-40 minutes long and focused on just two subplots at a time or something, they could have stretched them out over 12 episodes or something. 8 one hour episodes is just cramming a lot in for my attention span.
No offense, but how did you get through the 3+ hour movies?

Given that the films were as long as they were, episodes much shorter than an hour would feel weird and unsubstantial.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline HOF

« Reply #214 on: September 20, 2022, 02:44:50 PM »
If the episodes were 35-40 minutes long and focused on just two subplots at a time or something, they could have stretched them out over 12 episodes or something. 8 one hour episodes is just cramming a lot in for my attention span.

Given that the films were as long as they were, episodes much shorter than an hour would feel weird and unsubstantial.

I struggle with movies in general, so I did not do well with the LOTR movies. I’m pretty sure I fell asleep during a midnight showing of Return of the King when it first came out (and that was 20 years ago when I was still young and vigorous!).

If each episode was more of a self contained story arc, then an hour+ would make more sense. But so far they have just been various plots stitched together with none of them resolving within an hour. I don’t see any reason why they couldn’t break those up into shorter episodes. Though I could also just watch in more than one sitting I suppose!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 03:04:51 PM by HOF »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #215 on: September 20, 2022, 05:01:38 PM »
Try to think of it as more of a mini series than episodic television.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #216 on: September 21, 2022, 09:21:39 AM »

I struggle with movies in general, so I did not do well with the LOTR movies. I’m pretty sure I fell asleep during a midnight showing of Return of the King when it first came out (and that was 20 years ago when I was still young and vigorous!).

If each episode was more of a self contained story arc, then an hour+ would make more sense. But so far they have just been various plots stitched together with none of them resolving within an hour. I don’t see any reason why they couldn’t break those up into shorter episodes. Though I could also just watch in more than one sitting I suppose!
I don't know, man.  Virtually none of what you said makes any sense to me.

If each episode was more of a self contained story, it would be a regular TV show, not a prestige show, and it could have been on CBS right there beside of NCIS or something.  Nothing is supposed to resolve within the hour.  Each episode is a chapter in the larger story, and for that matter, the entire season is part one of five that will tell the whole thing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline HOF

« Reply #217 on: September 22, 2022, 10:27:07 PM »

I don't know, man.  Virtually none of what you said makes any sense to me.

If each episode was more of a self contained story, it would be a regular TV show, not a prestige show, and it could have been on CBS right there beside of NCIS or something.  Nothing is supposed to resolve within the hour.  Each episode is a chapter in the larger story, and for that matter, the entire season is part one of five that will tell the whole thing.

I’m just saying I don’t see why the individual episodes need to be an hour long. I’m not saying they should be self-contained stories. But I fully admit I am not typical of the average consumer of this sort of TV.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #218 on: September 22, 2022, 11:17:06 PM »
Just watched episode four and five tonight. Man, I’m loving the show more and more. I think it’s absolutely brilliant! If Peter Jackson could’ve done at least this well with the hobbit series that would’ve been wonderful. But it’s nice to see this series return the stories to their former glory.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #219 on: September 24, 2022, 02:18:29 AM »
Episode 5 was fantastic. Really just such an immersive show. They're doing a great job sticking with pretty traditional Tolkien-esque storytelling.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #220 on: September 24, 2022, 05:55:15 AM »
Yea this show is just getting better and better. Bear McCreary is putting his soul into this score. The song at beginning was straight out of a musical and I absolutely loved it. In fact some aspects of this show feels kinda theater like.

I'm a noob so I didn't know but this connection is kinda emotional:
Gandalf writes a letter to Frodo that includes a poem to help confirm (which it does) anyone calling themselves Strider is really Aragorn. That passage opens with these two lines, later repeated by Bilbo during the Council of Elrond: “All that is gold does not glitter/Not all those who wander are lost.”

That second line also appears in the final verse of Poppy’s walking song.

At last comes their answer
Through cold and through frost
That not all who wonder or wander are lost
No matter the sorrow
No matter the cost
That not all who wonder or wander are lost

That connection adds an even greater layer of meaning to a song already rife with it. But it might very well soon prove to be even more important. If the Stranger really is an early incarnation of Gandalf, that means thousand of years before he wrote that line of poetry for Frodo, Gandalf initially heard the Hobbit’s ancestors sing it. The words that helped Frodo trust Strider, an act that ultimately saved the world, came not from the wizard. They came from Frodo’s own kind, the very people who first showed Gandalf the worth of small folk.

On another note is it just a coincidence that Largo Brandyfoot and Merry Brandybuck looks so much alike? I can't find any connection between them.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 06:20:34 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #221 on: September 24, 2022, 04:08:55 PM »
Yeah, that song put a big smile on my face. Excellent lovely tune!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline adastra

« Reply #222 on: September 25, 2022, 12:13:14 AM »
Got thru the first 4,5 episodes before quitting. Not my Cup of tea.
I guess I had too big expectations.
The show looks nice and the score is good, but the writing is poor.

3/10. Would't recommend this to Tolkien fanatics, casual viewers nor anyone in the middle

I hope that The rest of the show delivers to everyone who likes it!
Enjoy  :corn
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #223 on: September 25, 2022, 12:50:49 AM »
Got thru the first 4,5 episodes before quitting. Not my Cup of tea.
I guess I had too big expectations.
The show looks nice and the score is good, but the writing is poor.

3/10. Would't recommend this to Tolkien fanatics, casual viewers nor anyone in the middle

I hope that The rest of the show delivers to everyone who likes it!
Enjoy  :corn

This just blows my mind.

The Hobbit trilogy had poor writing. It was extremely difficult to accept it even came from the same people who gave us the original.

But this show has brought my imagination back to what made the original LOTR trilogy so fantastic.

Offline adastra

« Reply #224 on: September 25, 2022, 01:57:23 AM »

This just blows my mind.

The Hobbit trilogy had poor writing. It was extremely difficult to accept it even came from the same people who gave us the original.

But this show has brought my imagination back to what made the original LOTR trilogy so fantastic.

Wow, haha!  ;D  It´s great how opinions can differ!
I really didn´t like The Hobbit Trilogy either,  but this is on completely different level.

I dont consider myself as a "lore guy" and think that the biggest problem is not that this is Fan-Fiction.
I Just find that the writing is poor;  The characters aren´t interesting and so much is happening off-camera (even though, at least for some of the plotlines, the advancement is so slow.)

There are some things that make this for me so off-putting, but i´m not gonna bore you with them.
I´m not trying to take away anyones joy in watching this.  :natalieportman:
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #225 on: September 25, 2022, 09:22:17 PM »

This just blows my mind.

Wow, haha!  ;D  It´s great how opinions can differ!
I really didn´t like The Hobbit Trilogy either,  but this is on completely different level.

I dont consider myself as a "lore guy" and think that the biggest problem is not that this is Fan-Fiction.
I Just find that the writing is poor;  The characters aren´t interesting and so much is happening off-camera (even though, at least for some of the plotlines, the advancement is so slow.)

There are some things that make this for me so off-putting, but i´m not gonna bore you with them.
I´m not trying to take away anyones joy in watching this.  :natalieportman:
Yeah, I don't know. I could nit-pick, but I'm enjoying the show too much. I'm definitely liking this more than Amazon's adaptation of The Wheel of Time.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #226 on: September 30, 2022, 08:15:02 AM »
I was surprised at how gory today's episode was at times. Much more blood than the LOTR movies.

I hadn't connected that the southlands is the area that eventually becomes Mordor. That eruption at the end was essentially the formation of Mt. Doom.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 09:13:20 AM by lordxizor »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #227 on: September 30, 2022, 07:41:04 PM »
Oh. My. Fucking. God.

Talk about an epic payoff episode...absolutely fantastic!!!

I was surprised at how gory today's episode was at times. Much more blood than the LOTR movies.

I hadn't connected that the southlands is the area that eventually becomes Mordor. That eruption at the end was essentially the formation of Mt. Doom.

Yeah, the moment I saw the lava, and then they fade to the Fuji like mountain, I instantly shouted "OH SHIT..."... just fucking love how they're spinning this tale. Fuck the haters, such an amazing production.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #228 on: October 01, 2022, 02:06:55 AM »
Yea that was an awesome episode.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #229 on: October 01, 2022, 06:19:47 AM »
I have to say, that I'm also enjoying this a lot so far! Last episode was great IMO.

Obviously this takes a lot of liberties from the works of JRR, but I'm enjoying this as it's own thing. Although I hope they introduce Galadriel's husband Celeborn at some point, and write her closer to the source material in the following seasons!

Some Tolkien scholars on the interwebs seem to be pissed, but you can't please everybody. At the end of the day, this has to a show for the masses, and not to the small community of Tolkien scholars...

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #230 on: October 01, 2022, 06:22:42 AM »
I have to say, that I'm also enjoying this a lot so far! Last episode was great IMO.

Obviously this takes a lot of liberties from the works of JRR, but I'm enjoying this as it's own thing. Although I hope they introduce Galadriel's husband Celeborn at some point, and write her closer to the source material in the following seasons!

Some Tolkien scholars on the interwebs seem to be pissed, but you can't please everybody. At the end of the day, this has to a show for the masses, and not to the small community of Tolkien scholars...
Tolkien scholars can have the books. Let's face it, Tolkien's works are dry as hell and can't really be adapted directly without a good deal of artistic liberty. This show is great. They don't have to watch if they don't like it.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #231 on: October 01, 2022, 07:01:06 AM »

Tolkien scholars can have the books. Let's face it, Tolkien's works are dry as hell and can't really be adapted directly without a good deal of artistic liberty. This show is great. They don't have to watch if they don't like it.
It's funny because I avoided any reviews of the show before jumping in other than hearing that people where unhappy about something but I didn't know what. Some days ago I stumbled upon a review video that had a negative title so I watched that and read the comments and holy shit how angry alot of people were of the show. I didn't know it was so divided.

I'm kinda glad i'm not a Tolkien purist because it seems to be more fun having no preconceived notions about the show other than being entertaining. However atleast to me it seems to capture what I consider being that Tolkien magic atleast from what I got from the movies.

Offline HOF

« Reply #232 on: October 01, 2022, 07:09:14 AM »
I’m still pretty bored with it. Nice payoff at the end of that episode, but seriously why does a mechanism exist in the Elven watchtower to turn that mountain into mount doom?

I do think it’s an interesting idea to explore how Mordor became Mordor, as that’s not something that’s really explored in any of Tolkiens works that I recall. I also did like how they explained that evil elf was the orc father (I do recall Tolkien writing about that somewhere). But I kind of hope they don’t turn this into a “is it wrong to wipe out the orcs” storyline.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 07:14:19 AM by HOF »

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #233 on: October 01, 2022, 09:11:35 AM »
I'm kinda glad i'm not a Tolkien purist because it seems to be more fun having no preconceived notions about the show other than being entertaining. However atleast to me it seems to capture what I consider being that Tolkien magic atleast from what I got from the movies.

This is me. I’m enjoying the heck out of the show and I think it’s because I don’t have that ‘history’ with Tolkien or expectation. Just appreciating the beauty and production of the show and watching the story unfold.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #234 on: October 01, 2022, 09:52:02 AM »

This is me. I’m enjoying the heck out of the show and I think it’s because I don’t have that ‘history’ with Tolkien or expectation. Just appreciating the beauty and production of the show and watching the story unfold.

I've actually been researching the storyline through Youtube vids, seeing how and where it touches on Tolkien's work. They definitely take liberties...I just don't turn into a butthurt man-baby over it. Also, the more it diverges, the more I think the Stranger is Gandalf.

I’m still pretty bored with it. Nice payoff at the end of that episode, but seriously why does a mechanism exist in the Elven watchtower to turn that mountain into mount doom?

I do think it’s an interesting idea to explore how Mordor became Mordor, as that’s not something that’s really explored in any of Tolkiens works that I recall. I also did like how they explained that evil elf was the orc father (I do recall Tolkien writing about that somewhere). But I kind of hope they don’t turn this into a “is it wrong to wipe out the orcs” storyline.

Yeah, Tolkien does touch on orcs originally being tortured elves, I definitely remember that. As to Mt Doom, maybe the watchtower was originally built to protect the mechanism from exactly this scenario. Just guessing.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: October 02, 2022, 06:11:32 AM »
As to Mt Doom, maybe the watchtower was originally built to protect the mechanism from exactly this scenario. Just guessing.

That was my impression. The monument behind the mechanism showing the blade (morgul blade) was a ruin from the Elven war against Morgoth, or so I thought. The fortress around it was built by the elves to keep the humans away from it...since men were the puppets of Morgoth in ancient times.

I wonder if that monument/pass is where Cirith Ungol will be built in future centuries?
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lethean

« Reply #236 on: October 02, 2022, 10:49:22 AM »

I always prefer movies/shows to stick more closely to the books than the usually do.  But even though I know the books really well, I want to be able to enjoy seeing it on the screen too.  After being able to enjoy the Hobbit movies despite all kind of ridiculous stuff they added, I'm good with whatever for the series. 

And so far I'm really enjoying it.  I'm very glad we get a full hour for the show, and don't feel that I need to know where all of the story lines are going.  I'll find out as it unfolds.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #237 on: October 02, 2022, 03:10:17 PM »

They'll eventually have a daughter who will marry Elrond.

Don't know if they're eventually gonna tie their friendship into that, or they're just gonna skip that part alltogether. You'll need a time jump to allow for Galadriel's daughter to eventually come of age....

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #238 on: October 03, 2022, 02:08:10 PM »
I really love the writings of Tolkein, but I don't have any problems with the show, or liberties that are ever taken with film/TV adaptations.

They don't "ruin" the books.  The books are still the books.

This most recent episode was, in my opinion, the best one yet.

Offline HOF

« Reply #239 on: October 04, 2022, 08:20:17 AM »
I believe they only have the rights to whatever is in the appendix of The Return of the King, so they don't really have a story to go off of. But it's clear at this point that they are basically rebooting the history of the second age. The names and characters are the same, but the history is totally different. And I'm ok with that, really, since it's not like they are re-writing The Lord of the Rings or The Hobbit.

My issues with the show are mostly about how tedious most of the dialogue is. I don't know, maybe it's just that the story of middle earth is more interesting in the abstract, or on a macro level, then on a micro level.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #240 on: October 07, 2022, 12:21:23 PM »
Episode 7 was pretty good, and sets up a lot of things.

Balrog of Morgoth cameo was awesome!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #241 on: October 08, 2022, 03:54:24 PM »
Indeed! even though it would have been even better just a tease, seeing the dark shadow engulfing the leaf with flame, we all knew what it meant anyway. But seeing it was cool!

Also, when they rebranded the Southlands, I expected them to spell it out, to change the title card from "southlands" to "dark lands" and then the translation to Mordor.

I'm curious to see how they're gonna head into the final part of the season and how they will end it!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #242 on: October 08, 2022, 06:07:04 PM »
This series is just amazing. Fantastic job with the storyline,  acting and the visuals.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #243 on: October 08, 2022, 06:44:06 PM »
One question...

I thought it was already established that the dwarves had been mining mitheril (sp?) for many many years before they finally dug deep enough to awaken the Balrog.   Now this is saying they awakened it right away...so when do they get the time to mine the mass quantities that are out there by the third age?   

Offline HOF

« Reply #244 on: October 08, 2022, 09:41:27 PM »
One question...

I thought it was already established that the dwarves had been mining mitheril (sp?) for many many years before they finally dug deep enough to awaken the Balrog.   Now this is saying they awakened it right away...so when do they get the time to mine the mass quantities that are out there by the third age?

Pretty much none of this is according to script, so who knows what’s gonna happen. It’s been more like a reboot so far.