Author Topic: Lord of the Rings  (Read 26367 times)

Offline Skeever

Re: Lord of the Rings
« Reply #175 on: September 03, 2022, 08:11:03 AM »
I'm enjoying it, though I will admit that I was not at first. I think it took me at least half of the first episode to feel myself starting to settle in with it, and now of course I can't wait until the next episode drops.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #176 on: September 03, 2022, 08:43:57 AM »
Watched both episodes with a clear mind last night...and I'm all in. Absolutely loving this.

So...the elephant in the room...who is the 'giant' that Nori found?

Also, the Dwarven city is just fucking amazing, and Durin's kid's are about the cutest thing ever, wished they gave them a bit more screen time.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #177 on: September 03, 2022, 11:11:17 AM »
It’s so annoying how it has become a common thing for a lot of people to downrate movies/shows with black people and strong women to the point that the ratings on rating sites end up being really low when they shouldn’t be. Almost 10 000 1/10 ratings for this on IMDb…

Yeah it's useless to get honest ratings when they look like this

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #178 on: September 03, 2022, 12:02:58 PM »
That breakdown sums it up males adults are the worst...

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #179 on: September 03, 2022, 01:23:29 PM »
I'm enjoying it, though I will admit that I was not at first. I think it took me at least half of the first episode to feel myself starting to settle in with it, and now of course I can't wait until the next episode drops.

For me the first 20 minutes or so felt a bit awkward, but from then on it gradually kept getting better and the second episode excited me.

Watched both episodes with a clear mind last night...and I'm all in. Absolutely loving this.

Also, the Dwarven city is just fucking amazing, and Durin's kid's are about the cutest thing ever, wished they gave them a bit more screen time.

Perhaps it is one of the wizards that did not really get any page time in Tolkiens works? I am not really familiar with the Silmarion and other Tolkien stuff that isn't in the main books. And I think I read the timeline of this series is very condensed (so that it isn't just a bunch of elves through the ages), so a lot of characters could make their appearance.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #180 on: September 03, 2022, 02:14:14 PM »

For me the first 20 minutes or so felt a bit awkward, but from then on it gradually kept getting better and the second episode excited me.

Perhaps it is one of the wizards that did not really get any page time in Tolkiens works? I am not really familiar with the Silmarion and other Tolkien stuff that isn't in the main books. And I think I read the timeline of this series is very condensed (so that it isn't just a bunch of elves through the ages), so a lot of characters could make their appearance.

I think it's simply that the first 20 minutes or so feel like they are taking for granted your investment in the character as well as the conflict they are setting up. And maybe they felt the need to do that, to get that familiar conflict on the table immediately. But once they got out of the way I felt myself getting a lot more into it, I'm genuinely curious about the new characters and the stories they will face in this second age Middle Earth.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #181 on: September 03, 2022, 03:11:28 PM »
It’s so annoying how it has become a common thing for a lot of people to downrate movies/shows with black people and strong women to the point that the ratings on rating sites end up being really low when they shouldn’t be. Almost 10 000 1/10 ratings for this on IMDb…

Most of it is YouTubers trying to drum clicks (and therefore money) by feeding the anger of stupid people.  They actually believe they are fighting a cultural war....
I've said this in other threads, but audience scores on IMDB, Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic etc. are just a complete irrelevance now. The only people who care about them are the ones doing the review bombing to try and "prove" their point, but actual grown ups are now fully aware how meaningless they are.

Which is a real shame as I used to find those sorts of things a helpful way to get a sense of how much audiences liked something. Now, unless some sort of representative surveys happen to be done by a polling organisation, then we don't have anything else meaningful like that. All that's left are critic scores and audience viewer/box office numbers.

Anyway I liked the first two episodes a lot. Not completely gripped yet but I don't need to be after only two episodes - I like long-form storytelling and I'm enjoying how this show is developing so far. And visually it is just outrageously good.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #182 on: September 05, 2022, 09:28:55 AM »
Just watch the first two episodes last night. I was prepared to be underwhelmed and was actually pleasantly surprised. So far, I think the show is excellent!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #183 on: September 06, 2022, 07:19:33 AM »
Watched the first episodes as well. Not perfect, but way better than I feared!

It's visually stunning, and I can forgive them not copying the movies' ahestetics. Very minor complaint, Galadriel and Elrond seem to be just buddies but actually Elrond married one of Galadriel's daughters, I guess they probably skipped over her getting together with Celeborn : D

I'll see how the story unfolds, it has the potential to be great!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #184 on: September 06, 2022, 07:55:31 AM »
We watched the first 2 episodes last night.  Pleasantly surprised.  I was a little wary, but wow, you can see every bit of money that Amazon spent up on the screen.  It looks INCREDIBLE.

BTW, my early prediction on the Stranger from the comet is Gandalf, even though it would mean drastically changing the timing of when Wizards became active in Middle Earth.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #185 on: September 06, 2022, 09:15:36 AM »

It's visually stunning, and I can forgive them not copying the movies' ahestetics. Very minor complaint, Galadriel and Elrond seem to be just buddies but actually Elrond married one of Galadriel's daughters, I guess they probably skipped over her getting together with Celeborn : D

Biggest problem I've had with Rings of Power so far, is the changing of Galadriel's character. They set her up as the leading action hero, when she never really was one. During this era she is building Lothlorien with her husband Celeborn, not running around middle earth hunting Sauron.

But, this is a different adaptation I get it.. I'm interested to see where this goes nonetheless! Interested in how this version sets up the events leading up to the War of The Last Alliance against Sauron.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #186 on: September 06, 2022, 12:00:55 PM »
My main problem would be how much.... "generic" it would feel.

I'll try to explain, I don't want to be a gatekeeper, but to me Lord of the Rings is sacred. The emotional attachment I have to it is immense. They can screw up everything, but NOT "my" LOTR!

That world is so unique, and so perfectly captured by the movies, that when / if I watch a LOTR adaptation, I want to feel I'm really in Middle Earth. No director is required to fulfill the idea I have in my mind of that world, but I want to really "feel" it. I don't want it to look like yet another fantasy show with the cliches of the genre - the female action hero (in this case Galadriel), the love romance (please tell me Galadriel won't fall for Haldebrand, the guy of the boat), the modern looking characters...

LOTR is LOTR. As estabilished not by my personal ideas about it, but by the movies and the drawings of Alan Lee. As long as I get the feel I'm in that world and it's not just another generic adaptation of "just another fantasy story" (LOTR is not "just another fantasy story for me!"), I can forgive some digressions here and there.

For example, I loved Moria. It really felt like Moria from the movies, even though they didn't literally copy it. I guess eventually we'll see the dwarves discovering the Balrog?

On the other hand, I expected elves to be more fair and ethereal than random guys with pointy years. I know you can't all cast super good looking guys, but elves should really be more beautiful and stand out more.... I don't want Legolas clones and Hugo Weaving was definitively not "elf-beautiful", but come on, make them really stand out  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #187 on: September 06, 2022, 12:24:42 PM »
We watched the first 2 episodes last night.  Pleasantly surprised.  I was a little wary, but wow, you can see every bit of money that Amazon spent up on the screen.  It looks INCREDIBLE.

BTW, my early prediction on the Stranger from the comet is Gandalf, even though it would mean drastically changing the timing of when Wizards became active in Middle Earth.

That's why I'm thinking we're dealing with a Blue Wizard here. Those, apparently, came first, and were active before the War of the Ring.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #188 on: September 06, 2022, 12:29:07 PM »
I really hope it isn't Gandalf. Would be way more interesting to do one of the "unknown" wizards and it would give the writers a lot of freedom.

Biggest problem I've had with Rings of Power so far, is the changing of Galadriel's character. They set her up as the leading action hero, when she never really was one. During this era she is building Lothlorien with her husband Celeborn, not running around middle earth hunting Sauron.

But, this is a different adaptation I get it.. I'm interested to see where this goes nonetheless! Interested in how this version sets up the events leading up to the War of The Last Alliance against Sauron.

I recently listened tot the audiobooks. I know a lot of people are super passionate about Tolkiens work so I am going to post some blasphemy.

I saw people here yearning for a more book accurate series of the trilogy, but I genuinely think a very loyal adaption would make for a much poorer end result than what we got. If there is one gripe with the books I have, it would be that many characters feel lacking in personality and development. For the record I enjoy the LotR books for it's many strengths, but many of those strengths don't necessarily translate well to film.

In that line of thinking, a change to Galadriel was needed if you ask me, if you want to have her on screen and have a compelling arc to tell. If the writers are good, they can find a way to have her develop towards what I think people consider to be Galadriel. All of that is easier said than done offcourse. But I went from zero interest to actually being excited for this, as thus far I feel their changes have been justified and fitting.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #189 on: September 06, 2022, 01:18:12 PM »
My main problem would be how much.... "generic" it would feel.

I'll try to explain, I don't want to be a gatekeeper, but to me Lord of the Rings is sacred. The emotional attachment I have to it is immense. They can screw up everything, but NOT "my" LOTR!

That world is so unique, and so perfectly captured by the movies, that when / if I watch a LOTR adaptation, I want to feel I'm really in Middle Earth. No director is required to fulfill the idea I have in my mind of that world, but I want to really "feel" it. I don't want it to look like yet another fantasy show with the cliches of the genre - the female action hero (in this case Galadriel), the love romance (please tell me Galadriel won't fall for Haldebrand, the guy of the boat), the modern looking characters...

LOTR is LOTR. As estabilished not by my personal ideas about it, but by the movies and the drawings of Alan Lee. As long as I get the feel I'm in that world and it's not just another generic adaptation of "just another fantasy story" (LOTR is not "just another fantasy story for me!"), I can forgive some digressions here and there.

For example, I loved Moria. It really felt like Moria from the movies, even though they didn't literally copy it. I guess eventually we'll see the dwarves discovering the Balrog?

On the other hand, I expected elves to be more fair and ethereal than random guys with pointy years. I know you can't all cast super good looking guys, but elves should really be more beautiful and stand out more.... I don't want Legolas clones and Hugo Weaving was definitively not "elf-beautiful", but come on, make them really stand out  :D

It's only two episodes but for me the world feels much better than The Hobbit trilogy.  It's hard to compare to LoTRs yet as those movies are magical (but even those got some gatekeeper backlash on release 'Elves at Helms Deep').

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: September 06, 2022, 01:52:37 PM »
Both episodes visually looked amazing, the music was great. I'm glad they got Howard Shore back, the compositions so far are top notch. I think the episodes need a bit of tightening but otherwise were pretty good.

Minor correction, only the title music is scored by Howard Shore, the rest of the show music is composed by Bear McCreary who I haven't heard of. He's done a great job so far.

I first noticed Bear McCreary as the composer for BSG, which I think was his start in the business.  Since then he's been working steadily in film and television.  Some other series he scored include Outlander, Foundation, and Agents of SHIELD, among many others.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #191 on: September 06, 2022, 02:12:11 PM »
The episodes are fine, but it's just making me want to watch the Lord Of The Rings trilogy. I have the extended editions and I don't think I've ever watched the more recent extended cuts. I remember when the first extended editions came out and there was like a half hour extra, and then later they released another version with an hour extra in each movie. Am I remembering that right?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #192 on: September 06, 2022, 03:04:33 PM »
The episodes are fine, but it's just making me want to watch the Lord Of The Rings trilogy. I have the extended editions and I don't think I've ever watched the more recent extended cuts. I remember when the first extended editions came out and there was like a half hour extra, and then later they released another version with an hour extra in each movie. Am I remembering that right?

I think the extended versions have always been the extended versions. However each successive movie had more that was put back in. I think the fellowship had about 30 minutes added, the two Towers had about 45 minutes added, and return of the King at almost an hour.

But I know that there are not multiple extended additions. The extended additions that we have now are the only ones there are

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #193 on: September 06, 2022, 03:25:31 PM »
Yep, the first time they put out the Extended Versions are the same versions as the most recent release.  There is no super extended version.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #194 on: September 07, 2022, 10:11:52 AM »
On a sidenote but perhaps related, the latest releases are visually different and were marketed as such.

The different coloring and digital cleanup is controversial for the LotR films. For some reason anything LotR related is always super touchy on the internet. There were articles and online meltdowns calling the films ruined on the 4k rereleases. To me they look great, especially the HDR (I only recommend trying these versions if you have a capable setup for that). I would not call them better or worse though. But by no means did they go overboard in any direction with the coloring and all.

I will say that unlike LotR, the Hobbit films are a clear cut winner on the 4k front. Those versions have improved quite a bit visually. Much more natural coloring and less oversaturation, which helps the visuals quite a bit given that there is so much cgi slinging around.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #195 on: September 07, 2022, 01:28:33 PM »
I'm debating whether or not to watch honestly. I watched the LOTR movies when they were released.....enjoyed them enough I suppose.....but have never seen any of the Hobbit movies.....only small sections here and there if it's been on TV. And, I've not read any Tolkien. I played D&D so I have an appreciation for that 'world' but as far as being a massive fan or having the required knowledge to truly enjoy the show.....not sure that it's there.

I will most likely watch a few episodes to see if it captures my attention but not sure if I'm the intended audience.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: September 07, 2022, 02:27:18 PM »
I'm debating whether or not to watch honestly. I watched the LOTR movies when they were released.....enjoyed them enough I suppose.....but have never seen any of the Hobbit movies.....only small sections here and there if it's been on TV. And, I've not read any Tolkien. I played D&D so I have an appreciation for that 'world' but as far as being a massive fan or having the required knowledge to truly enjoy the show.....not sure that it's there.

I will most likely watch a few episodes to see if it captures my attention but not sure if I'm the intended audience.

You're probably better off not "being a massive fan" or having any prior knowledge.  People who really know a lot about what's in the appendices to The Lord of the Rings are often the kinds of people who get really butthurt about any perceived changes to their precious canon.  I don't think they are the target audience for this series.   

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: September 07, 2022, 10:57:14 PM »
Watched it. Loved it. Can’t wait for more.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: September 08, 2022, 08:49:25 AM »
Watched it. Loved it. Can’t wait for more.

It was late when I got done watching so I didn't go into detail. But, I liked the way they use the cut scenes with the Map to guide the viewer through the story. It's extremely helpful and eliminates any sort of confusion and helps keep the separate storylines straight.

Digging near all the characters....I think they've done a pretty good job at providing some 'meat' to the characters backstory without having to hand feed it to the viewer....it's been done well through dialogue alone and the character interactions.

Offline HOF

« Reply #199 on: September 08, 2022, 10:07:24 AM »
Watched the first episode last night. I liked the look of it, actors seem good so far, but worry they are going to try to cram too many plot lines into it. Felt myself losing interest as they drifted between the Galadriel story, the Hobbits, the elf who’s into the human chick, etc. I mostly just hope all the episodes don’t go over an hour. 45 minutes is about my max attention span for TV.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #200 on: September 08, 2022, 11:49:25 AM »
Watched the first episode last night. I liked the look of it, actors seem good so far, but worry they are going to try to cram too many plot lines into it. Felt myself losing interest as they drifted between the Galadriel story, the Hobbits, the elf who’s into the human chick, etc. I mostly just hope all the episodes don’t go over an hour. 45 minutes is about my max attention span for TV.

For the first half of the pilot it really felt they were trying to get to a certain point asap. Especially for Galadriel, showing her in many locations throughout many years. The tempo that follows worked well for me, I hope it maintains this for future episodes.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #201 on: September 09, 2022, 10:52:06 PM »
Watched episode 3 tonight.

The tightening up of the timeline is really kind of jarring. But I guess I kinda get it?? They did say that they were cooperating with the Tolkien estate on that very subject so they could have a singular set of human characters instead of having to go multi generational on us.

Not sure that was the best decision, but I’m enjoying it in spite of that so far.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #202 on: September 10, 2022, 06:04:11 AM »
Finished up the first three episodes last night. I am really enjoying this so far. I could nitpick, but I'm not going to. So far I'm very impressed at gow this looks and feels.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #203 on: September 10, 2022, 06:43:23 PM »
Watched episode 3 tonight.

The tightening up of the timeline is really kind of jarring. But I guess I kinda get it?? They did say that they were cooperating with the Tolkien estate on that very subject so they could have a singular set of human characters instead of having to go multi generational on us.

Not sure that was the best decision, but I’m enjoying it in spite of that so far.

I had not noticed they were tightening things up. But also we are talking about numenorians here, so biblical lifespans are not out of the question. At any rate, I wonder how much condensing we are getting, I think it will be thousands of years into hundreds of years rather than thousands of years into months.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: September 16, 2022, 10:44:58 PM »
Really digging this show. It’s far exceeded My expectations

Offline HOF

« Reply #205 on: September 17, 2022, 09:24:31 PM »
I dunno, it looks great but I’m not really sure where any of it is going. Episode 4 was a chore. The episodes need to be shorter probably.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #206 on: September 19, 2022, 09:04:57 AM »
I dunno, it looks great but I’m not really sure where any of it is going. Episode 4 was a chore. The episodes need to be shorter probably.

I feel the same way - the season is halfway over and it feels like not much has happened.  All of the leadup to the show was talking about how this shows how the rings were created for Sauron, and they haven't gotten to anything about the rings yet, just a mention of how the elves need to build a big forge.

Maybe the last four episodes will start to move the story along further.  The show is gorgeous, I love the actors and characters, but they're calling the show the Rings of Power, yet there seems to be very little movement towards that part of the story.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #207 on: September 19, 2022, 03:40:54 PM »
They're planning on multiple seasons of the show. Doubtful we'll see the forging of the rings this season.

Offline HOF

« Reply #208 on: September 19, 2022, 08:01:13 PM »
If the episodes were 35-40 minutes long and focused on just two subplots at a time or something, they could have stretched them out over 12 episodes or something. 8 one hour episodes is just cramming a lot in for my attention span.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #209 on: September 19, 2022, 08:15:48 PM »
They're planning on multiple seasons of the show. Doubtful we'll see the forging of the rings this season.

Not sure of the timeline, but the destruction of Numenor would make a great season finale.